201 South Estes Drive
Chapel Hill, NC 27514Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://citykitchenchapelhill.com/
- Phone: 9199288200
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:30am - 3pm
Sunday - Wednesday: 5pm - 10pm , Thursday - Saturday: 5pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 10:30am - 3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Younes Sabouh
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Emma Dunbar 9199288200
A word from City Kitchen
City Kitchen family welcomes you with wholesome American fare prepared through simple, time-honored cooking methods such as roasting, braising, preserving and smoking. This urban, contemporary neighborhood eatery evokes the warmth and convivial setting of a residential kitchen and gaathering place dedicated to quality and sourcing locally.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
City Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Chapel Hill ›
City Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (46)good for groups (44)neighborhood gem (39)great for outdoor dining (35)great for lunch (33)special occasion (26)vibrant bar scene (22)hot spot (18)kid-friendly (18)great for brunch (16)notable wine list (13)romantic (9)late-night find (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- wrigleyDined on 10/26/2014excellent dinner and great service the special of wok ribs was terrific as well as the short rib dinner. very lovely evening .Special Features:
- A memorable mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Our waitress carefully explained the ingredients of each fish dish we inquired about. Thanks to her articulate descriptions, we all enjoyed our dishes.Tile fish, Salmon and the Trout were all delectable and bountiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be betterDantasticDined on 10/11/2014Arrived and was disappointed to find that the menu had changed right before we went. Of course this is a matter of taste, but they did away with the duck and the pork - both of which were amazing! Fortunately the short ribs survived the cut, but the dish has been changed up some as well. Tried some of the seafood dishes and they were just ok. Not really worth the $28 price tag. Service and atmosphere was great as usual. Used to be our go-to special occasion place, but unfortunately we probably won't be back given the new dinner options.Special Features:
- Food reliably great Service slippedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/5/2014Food was wonderful as always. Service has really slipped. A request for coffee resulted in a five full minute wait for our server to come and ask what we wanted. Tea order took two requests and 15 min. Empty food plates sat for very long time without clearing when restaurant 1/2 empty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor timing8toomuchDined on 10/4/2014Our 6:30 reservation was honored but the server rushed us. We had cocktails then ordered an appetizer. We then wanted to get a bottle of wine but the wine list had been taken away. Why? No sooner had the server whisked away the app and here were the entrees!! Much too rushed, gave us the feeling they wanted to turn the table, made ordering the wine hurried. We complained, the server apologized and sent the manager who appeased with free desserts. Just piling more food on wasn't really a solution They are too much of an operation with little care for the dining experience. Doubt we'd return.
- City KitchenCarolinagirlDined on 10/4/2014We ate at City Kitchen and enjoyed our meal. Both of us had the skirt steak salad. The steak was cooked to order and the salad was lightly dressed. I had a vegetable purée soup and it was served hot and the spices were very tasty. The wine list was extensive but the waiter did not pressure me into a selection. The service was appropriate and relaxed. We did not feel rushed or like we were a problem. When we had a problem with our fist table seating ( the table was too small) the staff quickly found another one that was better for our needs. Overall I was pleased with this dinner venue.Special Features:
- Goat Cheese Carmelized Onion saladlunchproVIPDined on 10/3/2014DON'T MISS IT!! I had it twice this week. It's amazing! This is my favorite restaurant and it's consistently delicious. Great for lunch and dinner.Special Features:
- JillLovesFood2Dined on 9/27/2014chicken and brocoli soup that was the special was excellent, must have again. the grilled cheese is out of this world good! Service was great! Wine was great!Special Features:
- Favorite Chapel Hill restaurantSallyBDined on 9/26/2014We are new to the area and so far, City Kitchen is our favorite restaurant. It's rare for all courses to be exceptional, and here all were. Mussels for appetizer, hanger steak for entrée, and cheese cake for dessert. Highly recommend the place.Special Features:
- Terrific sushi!lunchproVIPDined on 9/25/2014We sat outside as the weather was really nice. Other than the very unhappy baby who cried for about 10 minutes outside the mall, the outdoor seating was quite pleasant. Our server was terrific and the food was also great. Their sushi is really good. One of the group had a brick oven pizza that was also really tasty. Nice bottle of ridge zinfandel and the evening was pretty terrific!Special Features:
- Wonderful family celebrationBigdumbanduglyDined on 9/19/2014Had a great meal with extended family. A bit loud but vibrant. Service was excellent, timely, friendly, but not overwhelming. Tried the Friday night shrimp and grits.....very tasty if not a bit "rich." But I admit to being a shrimp and grits snob. Beer was very cold, wine specials were tasty. Dessert very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deltaDined on 9/18/2014I have eaten at City Kitchen many times and have even praised the service at this site. However, the service this week was AWFUL.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchletsgoVIPDined on 9/7/2014We ate Sunday brunch here and were pleasantly surprised. The ambiance was lovely and the service was excellent. My family ordered breakfast-type items and I had the salad bar. Wow! The salad bar was INCREDIBLE! Many different types of foodie-worthy salads and offerings --I would go back just for that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- group gathering of 8OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014Wonderful menu with choices for everyone from 10-50 yrs including vegetarians. Attentive service. Never pressured. Have been before and will definitely return againSpecial Features:
- RogerWVIPDined on 9/5/2014Dinner on Friday brings a good crowd and a pretty loud buzz. The service is very good and some of the food (I had pork chops) is excellent. My wife was a bit surprised as to how spicy the mussels were since the description doesn't indicate any spice at all. The spicy thing has occurred from time to time with different dishes, so if you don't like spice, be sure to inform the server or you may be surprised too.I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvtodineDined on 9/5/2014I had eaten at this restaurant before and it was wonderful - great food, service and tolerable noise level. Ate there Friday night and waited a long time for the main course and dessert. The special for the evening sounded great - but was too soupy and not anything like the water had explained. The manager did offer me a discount which was nice and a free dessert. I will go back but not on a weekend night.
- Hot spotbrennenDined on 9/5/2014Definitely a spot to enjoy good food with unique but not over the top ingredients. The grits were great not too much salt or cheese. The fried oysters were crunchy on the outside and moist on the inside. Perfect. We didn't try the pizza that everyone talks about because the salads and entrees we so good. Next time.Special Features:
- TuckDined on 9/5/2014Bring ear plugs - otherwise you'll gop deaf from the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A quick favoriteKarmaGirlDined on 9/1/2014City Kitchen quickly became my favorite restaurant in the area. Food is delicious and always filling, the staff is super friendly, and the atmosphere is great for dining alone or with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/28/2014A bit pricey for the portions. I like the place very much......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful dining experienceexquisitefoodDined on 8/28/2014Had a great time at City Kitchen. Took my niece for her birthday and had terrific drinks and the food was beyond words... I visit the bar most Saturdays for an hour or so and have a few drinks and a salad and your terrific mussels....yum....great service by ChadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Good!CaseyDined on 8/27/2014City Kitchen is consistently good. The food is fresh and well prepared. The staff are friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindmamasusuDined on 8/27/2014A group of six women met for lunch and found this restaurant to be excellent. The food was wonderful and the service was great. Will definitely go there again!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014Fabulous Salmon! Always incredibly good Service. Only negative is my fault - I ordered 'off the menu' side of simple grilled vegetables, but didn't like the "mixed" choice. Totally my fault. They said afterwards they'd give me any vegetable I request if they have it in house. Have been many times. It's consistently great service, great food, fun atmosphere.Special Features:
- So much more than a nameGDubVIPDined on 8/18/2014City Kitchen sounds more like a dive diner than an upscale eatery. However, upon walking in you will notice the intricate details and unique decor from the industrial concrete sushi bar to the re-purposed wood used for the bar and dining tables. The menu is constantly rotating which is nice and aligns with what you would expect from the various seasons NC experiences. Some of the highlights are the braised lamb shank and smoked NC trout. The brunch salad bar is also not to be missed. The service is superb and attentive to the entire table, rarely leaving anyone waiting to order or get a refill. The pricing is exactly where it needs to be to keep people coming back frequently and not isolating itself as a special occasion place.Special Features:
- Great outdoor diningDedeBVIPDined on 8/13/2014Wednesday is a great night for a $5 glass of wine and some appetizers in the outside dining area. Really good calamari.Special Features:
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/12/2014Interesting menu items. Unusually good for a shopping mall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A solid entrytymelyronVIPDined on 8/9/2014Saturday night dinner, surprisingly not too full, but enjoyed our meal. Fried green tomatoes and calamari for starters were tasty, and the short rib and trout entrees were very good. Menu selection was plentiful, as was the cocktail and draft beer choices.Special Features:
- With musicrobustnc1Dined on 7/31/2014This summer City Kitchen added a Thursday night outdoor concert series. What a treat! Great food and service coupled with terrific local bands. The restaurant was quite busy but the wait staff was more than equal to the challenge. I very much recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Greek Salad!lunchproVIPDined on 7/22/2014I had lunch with a friend and we both had the Greek Salad. I also had the tomato basil soup and my friend had the grilled asparagus. All dishes were delicious. There were roasted beets and heirloom tomatoes on the salad and the dressing was really good. it was our server's first day and he was terrific. Great experience every time I go!Special Features:
- Keep coming backimitropoVIPDined on 7/18/2014So many great restaurants in Chapel Hill to choose from and City Kitchen is no exception. Ample parking, space for larger, noisier groups, easy access for wheelchair or kids in strollers, nice bar atmosphere, super friendly and knowledgeable staff and most important - consistently great food. We find ourselves at City Kitchen more and more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014I brought my mom here for her birthday the other night. My boyfriend had called ahead to order a bottle of wine and spoke to the manager who made a great recommendation (Rue 22?). Our server was Sam - couldn't have asked for better service. He was extremely knowledgeable on the menu and suggested some food items that were a little different to us, but we enjoyed them so much! At the end of the evening I requested to speak to the manager on duty, to inform him how great Sam was. Turns out that it was the same manager who spoke to my boyfriend, and purposely put us in Sam's section to ensure my mom and I would be taken care of. All the staff went above and beyond!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014Food was good, company was great, had to wait for our server too long.Special Features:
- New favorite at City KitchenCeconsultDined on 7/10/2014A good friend introduced me this week to City Kitchen and I have returned already. The ambience is excellent, food is excellent, and wait staff service is superior. A+ on all counts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExperiencePhotoprincess14Dined on 7/9/2014I really enjoyed my lunch, but our waitress was a little slow! We were there over an hour before we were given our bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!SkywriterDined on 7/6/2014Went out for my birthday, and it was fabulous! Fried green tomato appetizer was delicious, and my steak was cooked perfectly. The chef does really flavorful things with classic american dishes. The drinks were great, too--highly recommend the pimms!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 380 reviews are from the City Kitchen reviews archive.
- Excellent Dinner MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014We are pleased to see that there are many tempting choices on the dinner menu. We had an outstanding server named William...very knowledgeable about food and wine. There are special wine values during the week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- glad i tried it againmop2eliDined on 6/23/2014Went with a large group and was not impressed. Returned with a friend and was pleasantly surprised. The mussels were terrific. The special salad with grouper was artfully dressed, light, and creative to include goat cheese, blueberries ans strawberries. Will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvtodineDined on 6/21/2014Great and interesting food -- variety of different choices that were delicious and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialNikkiDined on 6/21/2014The exceptional service and food makes this restaurant perfect for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.