201 South Estes Drive
Chapel Hill, NC 27514Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://citykitchenchapelhill.com/
- Phone: 9199288200
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:30am - 3pm
Sunday - Wednesday: 5pm - 10pm , Thursday - Saturday: 5pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 10:30am - 3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Younes Sabouh
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Emma Dunbar 9199288200
A word from City Kitchen
City Kitchen family welcomes you with wholesome American fare prepared through simple, time-honored cooking methods such as roasting, braising, preserving and smoking. This urban, contemporary neighborhood eatery evokes the warmth and convivial setting of a residential kitchen and gaathering place dedicated to quality and sourcing locally.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
City Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Chapel Hill ›
City Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
108 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (62)good for groups (46)great for outdoor dining (44)neighborhood gem (40)great for lunch (37)special occasion (36)great for brunch (24)vibrant bar scene (23)hot spot (18)romantic (15)kid-friendly (15)notable wine list (14)late-night find (6)scenic view (4)Show More
- group gathering of 8OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014Wonderful menu with choices for everyone from 10-50 yrs including vegetarians. Attentive service. Never pressured. Have been before and will definitely return againSpecial Features:
- RogerWVIPDined on 9/5/2014Dinner on Friday brings a good crowd and a pretty loud buzz. The service is very good and some of the food (I had pork chops) is excellent. My wife was a bit surprised as to how spicy the mussels were since the description doesn't indicate any spice at all. The spicy thing has occurred from time to time with different dishes, so if you don't like spice, be sure to inform the server or you may be surprised too.I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvtodineDined on 9/5/2014I had eaten at this restaurant before and it was wonderful - great food, service and tolerable noise level. Ate there Friday night and waited a long time for the main course and dessert. The special for the evening sounded great - but was too soupy and not anything like the water had explained. The manager did offer me a discount which was nice and a free dessert. I will go back but not on a weekend night.
- Hot spotbrennenDined on 9/5/2014Definitely a spot to enjoy good food with unique but not over the top ingredients. The grits were great not too much salt or cheese. The fried oysters were crunchy on the outside and moist on the inside. Perfect. We didn't try the pizza that everyone talks about because the salads and entrees we so good. Next time.Special Features:
- TuckDined on 9/5/2014Bring ear plugs - otherwise you'll gop deaf from the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A quick favoriteKarmaGirlDined on 9/1/2014City Kitchen quickly became my favorite restaurant in the area. Food is delicious and always filling, the staff is super friendly, and the atmosphere is great for dining alone or with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/28/2014A bit pricey for the portions. I like the place very much......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful dining experienceexquisitefoodDined on 8/28/2014Had a great time at City Kitchen. Took my niece for her birthday and had terrific drinks and the food was beyond words... I visit the bar most Saturdays for an hour or so and have a few drinks and a salad and your terrific mussels....yum....great service by ChadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Good!CaseyDined on 8/27/2014City Kitchen is consistently good. The food is fresh and well prepared. The staff are friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindmamasusuDined on 8/27/2014A group of six women met for lunch and found this restaurant to be excellent. The food was wonderful and the service was great. Will definitely go there again!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014Fabulous Salmon! Always incredibly good Service. Only negative is my fault - I ordered 'off the menu' side of simple grilled vegetables, but didn't like the "mixed" choice. Totally my fault. They said afterwards they'd give me any vegetable I request if they have it in house. Have been many times. It's consistently great service, great food, fun atmosphere.Special Features:
- So much more than a nameGDubVIPDined on 8/18/2014City Kitchen sounds more like a dive diner than an upscale eatery. However, upon walking in you will notice the intricate details and unique decor from the industrial concrete sushi bar to the re-purposed wood used for the bar and dining tables. The menu is constantly rotating which is nice and aligns with what you would expect from the various seasons NC experiences. Some of the highlights are the braised lamb shank and smoked NC trout. The brunch salad bar is also not to be missed. The service is superb and attentive to the entire table, rarely leaving anyone waiting to order or get a refill. The pricing is exactly where it needs to be to keep people coming back frequently and not isolating itself as a special occasion place.Special Features:
- Great outdoor diningDedeBVIPDined on 8/13/2014Wednesday is a great night for a $5 glass of wine and some appetizers in the outside dining area. Really good calamari.Special Features:
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/12/2014Interesting menu items. Unusually good for a shopping mall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A solid entrytymelyronVIPDined on 8/9/2014Saturday night dinner, surprisingly not too full, but enjoyed our meal. Fried green tomatoes and calamari for starters were tasty, and the short rib and trout entrees were very good. Menu selection was plentiful, as was the cocktail and draft beer choices.Special Features:
- With musicrobustnc1Dined on 7/31/2014This summer City Kitchen added a Thursday night outdoor concert series. What a treat! Great food and service coupled with terrific local bands. The restaurant was quite busy but the wait staff was more than equal to the challenge. I very much recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Greek Salad!lunchproVIPDined on 7/22/2014I had lunch with a friend and we both had the Greek Salad. I also had the tomato basil soup and my friend had the grilled asparagus. All dishes were delicious. There were roasted beets and heirloom tomatoes on the salad and the dressing was really good. it was our server's first day and he was terrific. Great experience every time I go!Special Features:
- Keep coming backimitropoVIPDined on 7/18/2014So many great restaurants in Chapel Hill to choose from and City Kitchen is no exception. Ample parking, space for larger, noisier groups, easy access for wheelchair or kids in strollers, nice bar atmosphere, super friendly and knowledgeable staff and most important - consistently great food. We find ourselves at City Kitchen more and more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014I brought my mom here for her birthday the other night. My boyfriend had called ahead to order a bottle of wine and spoke to the manager who made a great recommendation (Rue 22?). Our server was Sam - couldn't have asked for better service. He was extremely knowledgeable on the menu and suggested some food items that were a little different to us, but we enjoyed them so much! At the end of the evening I requested to speak to the manager on duty, to inform him how great Sam was. Turns out that it was the same manager who spoke to my boyfriend, and purposely put us in Sam's section to ensure my mom and I would be taken care of. All the staff went above and beyond!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014Food was good, company was great, had to wait for our server too long.Special Features:
- New favorite at City KitchenCeconsultDined on 7/10/2014A good friend introduced me this week to City Kitchen and I have returned already. The ambience is excellent, food is excellent, and wait staff service is superior. A+ on all counts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExperiencePhotoprincess14Dined on 7/9/2014I really enjoyed my lunch, but our waitress was a little slow! We were there over an hour before we were given our bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!SkywriterDined on 7/6/2014Went out for my birthday, and it was fabulous! Fried green tomato appetizer was delicious, and my steak was cooked perfectly. The chef does really flavorful things with classic american dishes. The drinks were great, too--highly recommend the pimms!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dinner MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014We are pleased to see that there are many tempting choices on the dinner menu. We had an outstanding server named William...very knowledgeable about food and wine. There are special wine values during the week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- glad i tried it againmop2eliDined on 6/23/2014Went with a large group and was not impressed. Returned with a friend and was pleasantly surprised. The mussels were terrific. The special salad with grouper was artfully dressed, light, and creative to include goat cheese, blueberries ans strawberries. Will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvtodineDined on 6/21/2014Great and interesting food -- variety of different choices that were delicious and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialNikkiDined on 6/21/2014The exceptional service and food makes this restaurant perfect for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, atmospheresummertimeDined on 6/20/2014We were a party of four, and we each enjoyed what we ordered. The seared scallops and the pecan crisp was especially good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous tunaFinedinerDined on 6/19/2014Unexpectedly, I had the best tuna I have ever eaten at City Kitchen. It was a special, so I'm not sure how often it's on the menu, but it was perfectly seasoned, perfectly cooked and butter soft. Yummy. I also tried the butter lettuce salad, which was nicely dressed with a lovely citrus vinegarette. The goat cheese mousse needs to go, as do the mushy golden beets. Goat cheese crumbles and some sort of fruit would be better, albeit more predictable, choices to accompany the lovely lettuce. I know esoteric mousses and foams are a "thing" but they are pretentious and unnecessary.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2014Everything was very good except that one person'a food came out 25 minutes later than everyone else's with very little apology. It was awkward.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014My wife and I went to City Kitchen for our wedding anniversary. I had made reservations and the staff went above and beyond as far as the service and the table that was reserved for us.Special Features:
- Great first experiencegriddleDined on 6/15/2014My family went to City Kitchen for Father's Day Brunch, and it was fantastic! I had steak and eggs, plus the huge salad bar. The salad bar isn't your usual lettuce + toppings, but rather a wide variety of lettuce- and grain-based prepared salads, along with marinated veggies, Caprese, pita chips with dips and fresh fruit. My eggs were perfectly over easy, and the steak, which I opted for in lieu of bacon or sausage, was a lovely 3-4 oz portion of hangar steak that came out exactly medium rare an well seasoned. We had 5 adults, a 5-year-old, 2-year-old and an infant. Older kids split kids brunch, and service was fast enough to keep them entertained. I look forward to trying Chef's food at Fire in the Triangle! (competitiondining.com)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/14/2014We had a great dinner at City Kitchen. They forgot to bring our appetizer but promised us complimentary ones when we come next time. Very good dinner.Special Features:
- Must try the cheesecakeFoodStuffDined on 6/9/2014I love City Kitchen because it starts the meal off with delicious bread and my all-time favorite food: kalamata olive tapenade! The new cheesecake with mango and blood orange is probably the best dessert I've ever had in any restaurant (I can't remember anything better).Special Features:
- good stuffdaddyruchirDined on 6/8/2014We just dined at City Kitchen and we were pleasantly surprised. We had eaten here once before during prom night, and the service was quite disastrous that night. But, on a quiet Sunday night during Restaurant Week, we had a great time. Fantastic service, great heirloom tomato salad and desserts. I had the homemade vegetable fettucini dish, and though the pasta itself was amazing, I do not favor oil sauces. Still, it was pretty good. My wife's fish dish was not so great though. It was really pleasant sitting outside. We tend to dislike nice restaurants in malls or plazas, but I'd say City Kitchen is pretty decent and I'd recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rezzooDined on 6/8/2014We ate here twice while visiting our son. The short ribs were the best I've ever had...ever! Had to force myself to get something else the second night, and the filet and sushi did not disappoint, especially the off the menu sushi. Could have skipped the strawberry Bavarian, but the Chocolate dessert was outrageously delicious! Thank you for 2 fabulous mealsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoegrfoodLovegr8foodDined on 6/7/2014Awesome meal. Great service. Loved the Atlantic Salmon with bok choy in a coconut curry sauce. My husband had trout and he loved it as well.Special Features:
- Upscale Resturant in DisguiseFoodieNSearchofNextMealDined on 6/7/2014If you are expecting your typically casual dining experience then you will be pleasantly surprised. There's nothing typical about this restaurant. Whether it be the wide range of menu items ranging from pizza to authentic sushi (my favorite). It also boast an excellent beer, wine & champagne selection. If you love great food then this is the place for you.Special Features:
- ExcellentSkywriterDined on 6/4/2014I'm trying to remember the last time I had food this good in the triangle-so delicious! Fettuccine was perfect, as was the shrimp appetizer and cheesecake dessert. Specialty cocktails are a must. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ear plugs a necessitymarmarDined on 6/4/2014Yuk! the place was packed with cackling women!!! We finally moved outside where it was much too warm, but at least we could hear ourselves think. In the future I will only eat in the bar or outside. Love the food! Our server was most gracious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.