131 Duane St.
New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
TriBeCa - Downtown
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cityhallnewyork.com/
- Phone: 2122277777
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Tuesday - Friday 7:30 am-10:30am
Monday - Thursday: 12 Noon-10:00pm
Friday: 12 Noon-11:00pm
Saturday: Brunch 10:00am - 3:00pm Dinner 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Owner Henry Archer Meer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from City Hall
City Hall is housed in a landmark building built in 1863. Chef Henry Meer creates a unique dining experience that honors the rich culinary history of Old New York; featuring an excellent raw bar, straightforward preparations of seafood and dry-aged butcher cuts of prime steaks and chops as well as a wine list featuring over five hundred labels.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
City Hall reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (29)neighborhood gem (27)good for groups (22)great for outdoor dining (17)fit for foodies (17)special occasion (13)notable wine list (10)great for brunch (9)romantic (9)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (3)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- MAC1Dined on 8/14/2014City Hall is great. The food and service are always top notch.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/13/2014The Chrysler tower was pitiful. A few clams, mussels and oysters on a huge bed of ice; some shrimp and one lobster tail. Menu states for 2 - 4 people! For $65!
- Just the right amount of fancy.YumIVIPDined on 8/11/2014Very yummy. Perfect sized portions. I really nice break from the stress of the work day.Special Features:
- mediocre restaurant week lunchrainieVIPDined on 8/5/2014Mussel appetizer was extremely salty with small, rather than plumb mussels. Scallops were okay but plated on top of slimy ravioli with very little flavor. The angel food dessert was so bad it was inedible. There was nothing on the plate that resembled angel food. Service was disinterested and disorganized. This was a very disappointing meal.
- Great surprise in TribecaNYCnewbieDined on 8/5/2014Met a friend there for lunch. The food was very good and so was the service. Menu was interesting and diverse. Will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hidden gemsunshineDined on 8/1/2014Perfect. Great food, excellent service,great atmosphere. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok food - Bad servicedkdinnerDined on 7/31/2014Food was ok - but seriously... the service was so poor! We sat at the table for 20 mins before being asked for drinks. It took an additional 20 mins and 3 reminders to get sparkling water...
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/31/2014The food at City Hall is impeccable. Always the freshest seafood/raw bar. The staff is super professional but lacking a bit in warmth. City Hall is my go-to place for business luncheons. It never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appetizers were greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/31/2014The watermelon salad and mussels were great, the main course for the summer catch and steak weren't great and the dessert didn't look like angel food cake. But it was a good spot and am thinking about going back for the burger.Special Features:
- eating outsideibystuffVIPDined on 7/26/2014We ate outside and were exposed to a pan handler asking for money. When we asked him to move on he went into a threatening verbal abusive language rant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood placeOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/24/2014Wonderful summer, fresh menu. Had delicious scallops as well as a scrumptious watermelon tomato salad. Gracious service as well. Enjoyed it very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average - nothing specialNycfooooodDined on 7/23/2014The food was good (above average), but in a competitive NYC food scene, it's nothing super exciting. If you order the Mac and Cheese, watch out - the dish is VERY HOT and your waiter may or may not advise you of that. I burned my hand when I accidentally bumped the dish. I indicated that I would recommend this to a friend - I say this because the restaurant wasn't too crowded and if you need a good place that you can come in last minute without a reservation, is in a good neighborhood and has above average food, this is a good place to keep on your list. Didn't seem to be too many tourists - mostly afterwork/local crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Disappointing......NYCSanFranVIPDined on 7/16/2014Our many years of enjoying a nice dinner at City Hall has come to an end. The service was lacking in attention and detail, our waiter forgot our mac and cheese side and had to be reminded numerous times, it finally arrived at the end of our meal without an apology, the waiter then cleared our wine glasses with wine still in the glass without asking and he never checked to see how our dinner was. Truly horrible service. The medium rare steak arrived dry and hard. A bottle of $26 white wine was $69 and not worth the price of inflation. It is unfortunate that a neighborhood gem and former reliable restaurant has lost its focus on providing good customer service and food.
- OUTSTANDINGwheeljim1Dined on 7/2/2014I'm here multiple times a month. The food is always outstanding, with one of the BEST burgers in the city. Henry Meer, chef/owner, is always warm and a great host. I recommend CITY HALL for a superb dinning experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch spotLunchmavenVIPDined on 7/2/2014You can talk comfortably and the seating gives you lots of elbow-room. The food is presented well and is uniformly delicious. The room is airy and well-designed. Nothing distracts you from your lunch companions, which to me is a huge compliment for a restaurant.Special Features:
- Lock of freshness seafood.sunnyr2Dined on 6/28/2014My husband and I love oysters. They had 3 types of oysters to choose from. Actually they should have offered just 2 types. One type of oysters(west coast) were aweful. Not fresh at all. The service was good, the waiter was trying so hard I felt bad for him.
- Great Anniversary dinnerDianeDined on 6/28/2014Enjoyed a relaxing dinner seated outside on a balmy evening. Duane Street is relatively quiet even on a Saturday evening which makes outdoor dining very pleasant. The food and the service are always good at City Hall. We return each time we stay in the downtown area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sfhphVIPDined on 6/19/2014While the food was good, the service was fair at best. The restaurant was not busy, but nonetheless the waiters kept going missing. Also it was unclear who was our waiter. Four people total were at our table ( cocktails, ordering, food delivery, plate removal). But who was responsible? Also think they put items on our bill that we didn't order. Unfortunately we didn't notice until we reviewed the bill when we got home.
- Great lunch near the CourthouseBarbaraVIPDined on 6/19/2014We have been having lunch at City Hall during our 2 week trial at the nearby Courthouse. Great food, friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!out2lunchDined on 6/12/2014Best hanger steak this side of Brooklyn! I need to spend more time downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good but service was down.NYDiningFoodieDined on 6/11/2014Perhaps it was being a Wednesday but servers were few and attention to the table was below the standard of past visits. Food was ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kid friendly weekend spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/31/2014Have been here for brunch twice recently and service was consistently good both times. It was not very busy so we had short wait times for meal and attentive service from the staff. This is a great alternative to the nearby overcrowded and underwhelming Odeon. Will be back as they are a kid friendly spot and would like to try a wider range of choices from their menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible BartenderWickerwork59Dined on 5/30/2014Bartender had an awful, unprofessional attitude. Slow, talking way to much to regulars, thought who he was, obvious chip on his shoulder.
- City Hall is a treasureHowardSFVIPDined on 5/27/2014We just loved City Hall for dinner this week. The food was outstanding and reasonably priced. The service was excellent. If I lived in NY I would eat there once a week :-)Special Features:
- Still a first rate restaurantBrookboyVIPDined on 5/24/2014City Hall remains a dining destination even after all this time. It has an old-time New York ambiance and plenty of elbowroom. The owner still patrols the dining room and makes sure everything is running smoothly. The food is excellent and amply portioned. The fly in the ointment is the cost. It ain't cheap, especially if you indulge in some of the finer wines. But it's always worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GloriaVIPDined on 5/16/2014If you are in this neck of the woods, you almost have to do lunch at City Hall as a perfect fit to your day; we were touring historic Soho (do this too!) and ended up here for a late lunch; a little empty by 1:30 on a Friday, but had some top oysters (altho they were out of our first choice!) and the mixed salad (very interesting dressing,DIFFERENT GOOD!) and the salmon/grilled cheese; a nice white blend wine from the North Fork (didn't know quite all the grapes....) and a "kit kat dessert" which was pretty fantastic; a nice fit to OUR day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somewhat disappointedHopperDined on 5/13/2014I have always had a great time at this restaurant,this time i had to send the food back and spent quite a while looking for the server.Special Features:
- HootieDined on 5/8/2014Had to ask for bread three times. Finally received the basket half way through the meal. Capuccino was served cold. Otherwise the food was excellent and the owner was very pleasant.
- will returnPATEEATSVIPDined on 5/6/2014Dinner w/college-age son. His hangar steak was great. My salmon in kale salad overcooked to the point of looking like a white eraser. Forgot croutons. Wine pours are small: half cup and even thought they could tell we are multi-glass people; never poured more than 4 oz. So bill was really high. Had to flag for wait person; had to ask for menus; had to ask for bread. But the place is nice. Just don't arrive starving or parched.Special Features:
- The following 605 reviews are from the City Hall reviews archive.
- Expensive sidesdiningonGoodFridayDined on 4/18/2014We really liked City Hall, and we had a terrific lunch after attending Good Friday services at Trinity Church on Wall Street. But it makes me mad when a restaurant charges extra for the sides. The entrees were fairly priced, but they came with nothing. Couldn't they can't put a couple of dollars worth of beans or broccoli or carrots on the side with a scoop of rice or potatoes? It just seems cheap and frankly a rip off to have to pay $11 for some sauteed kale or French fries. I'm not sure I would hurry back.Special Features:
- A changed placeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/4/2014I've been to City Hall many times and was sad to see it has run its course. The food and service were still very good, but it was quite slow and it changed the vibe of the establishment.
- Wonderful dinner spotScoutDined on 4/2/2014City Hall is a gem to find in the downtown area. The restaurant was nice a quiet, which was perfect for my dinner with clients. We each had the delectable burger, shared crispy tender onion rings and practically got into a fight sharing the creamy mac 'n cheese. It was my first time at the restaurant, I will absolutely return, many times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- City Hall - great for conversationGloriacharleneDined on 4/1/2014I'm always looking for a QUIET restaurant where conversation is easy and we don't have to shout to hear each other. Make a reservation in advance, request a booth. Service is lovely, food is good, with a nice range of options. I really like the burger, for example. Salads are fresh and delicious. Etc. Also, I understand they have a party room, which I haven't seen, but it is good to keep in mind.Special Features:
- Reliable and Very Good FoodLivesNearbyDined on 3/13/2014City Hall is our "go to" restaurant when entertaining clients and/or when we're in need of excellent American food and very fine wine. While the menu varies somewhat by season, the familiar items that I usually rely on are almost always perfect. The Thursday night we were at City Hall was a quiet one - some nights are raucous, but not this one - and service was a tad sleepy; but we'll continue to treasure the restaurant's ambiance and usual excellence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- large portionsMarkDined on 3/7/2014We had the restaurant week menu as it was still offered as the last day of the week. The appetizer was almost entree sizes. the waiter can be a bit pushy at times- almost deciding for us what we wanted for desert or pushing us in having coffee.
- City Hall is an NYC gem!foodlovernycDined on 3/7/2014Came here during restaurant week for a nice lunch and was pleased way beyond my expectations. Not only were the restaurant menu options excellent, but the quality and portion sizes were just as stellar. Every item in every dish was prepared with such detail both in appearance and taste. The fried oysters (on regular menu) stole the show - large portion, unbelievably delicious and only $15. Great drink menu and wine list. Huge, spacious and inviting atmosphere. Incredibly nice and welcoming staff, including the chef/owner who stays in the dining area to help the staff and greet the customers. A++ and definitely on my top list for NYC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slow service for lunch onAlanDined on 3/7/2014slow service for lunch on restaurant week. Lunch = 2+ hours.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tired but True to the Food.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/6/2014Food was very good, Dining room very comfortable and quiet. Service was a bit perfunctory.I would recommend this to a friend.
- a classy place & accommodates kids!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/5/2014went out for a family birthday dinner (early evening), and they were able to accommodate for a 15-month old baby (they had high chairs!) service was great and everyone commented on how good the food was. i had the restaurant week menu -- the duck was juicy and well seasoned, and the lemon cake was heavenly. the staff even presented a birthday candle for dessert upon learning by chance that it was a birthday dinner. lastly, for a parent of a young baby, to find a place like this in the city is really a treat. we will be back when we need another nice family meal/celebration in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The "Go to" business lunch placeZorroDined on 3/5/2014For me this is my "go to" business lunch place for serious business near City Hall and the court houses. The better thing is that the staff understands that as well. The food is excellent macros the board and the variety insures there is something for any diner so you don't have to worry if the other party has any strong dislikes. It also is not a down town tourist trap so you don't have t worry about obnoxious crowds. It is a fine dining experience that will only reflect well on you when taking a client there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.