152 Courthouse Square
Oxford, MS 38655Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.citygroceryonline.com/
- Phone: 6622328080
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Creole
- Executive Chef: John Currence
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Smoking Area (patio only), Wine
- Catering: City Grocery Restaurant Group offers off-site catering through our catering division, The Main Event. We are a full service caterer offering complete event coordination, to include exceptional service, attention to detail and unique menu design to suit each of our clients. Specializing in weddings, rehearsal dinners, anniversary dinners, corporate and university functions. Please call 662-234-9300 to book your next event.
A word from City Grocery
City Grocery has become a landmark in the Oxford dining scene. Exposed brick walls and heart pine plank floor augment the candle light and white linen staging some the most inventive and interesting food in the South. "Their (dishes) deft presentation is imaginative, skillful and disciplined, elevating them above qualification as regional and ethnic cuisine."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
City Grocery - Best Restaurants in Oxford ›
City Grocery reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (56)special occasion (42)neighborhood gem (33)hot spot (27)great for lunch (26)romantic (18)notable wine list (17)good for groups (15)great for brunch (14)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- One of the bestJoelMcNeeceDined on 10/22/2014From it's diverse menu, to the fabulous service and atmosphere, City Grocery never lets me down. Their staples such as shrimp and grits and their nightly specials are equally enticing. Great food, great friends, and a great experience every time I visit.Special Features:
- Great Place to EatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The food at the City Restaurant is fantastic, the wait staff did an awesome job taking care of so many customers for hours without a break. For lunch, I had the Shrimp and Grits, and it was as delicious as advertised. My wife had the Fried Oysters Po Boy, and it was ever bit as good as those found in New Orleans. We also went back after the football game for a late meal and the Grilled Shrimp was outstanding. For those of you who have complained of the noise, food or wait staff, eat somewhere else for our experience was great, and we will be returning next year. Get your reservations in early for it does fill up.Special Features:
- Service was spectacular.PigletDined on 10/18/2014Excellent service. They genuinely seemed to care. Very prompt delivery of food at lunch on football weekend. Menu items interesting but didn't measure up to expectations. The special salad was bland. The oyster poboy was overdressed. Bread was crisp. Oysters were just right. atmosphere was friendly and welcoming. Location was perfect. Would definitely recommend it. Maybe dinner is a better reflection of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodMlmfDined on 10/16/2014Probably the best Shrimp and Grits I've ever had - and I eat this dish whenever and wherever I can. You must go if you are in Oxford.Special Features:
- a pleasent experienceinjoyDined on 10/12/2014dining out is a total experience. city grocery offers the whole package.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect end to a perfect weekend!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/5/2014What better way to cap off the most epic win Ole Miss has seen in decades than to brunch at City Grocery?! Every single bite was perfection and our waiter was delightful. Those crab fritters (a special of the day) were to die for and the shrimp and grits were amazing. Hotty Toddy!Special Features:
- Desserts are where it's at!LovegoodfoodDined on 10/4/2014After seeing this restaurant on Open Table, we gave it a try. To us the food was just so so but the desserts were where it was at.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ballgame WeekendBama65Dined on 10/3/2014Our food was good but not great... Although the french fries were pretty yummy. This was a popular game weekend spot... So extremely busy... So... Considering that... The food was really good. Our waitress was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find....Oxford Ms.!OldHorizontalVIPDined on 9/30/2014Excellent service....thank you Jennifer:) Southern specialties perfected. Since 1992 Chef owns this town. Cocktails on the deck upstairs...followed by a great dinner in a window table overlooking the quaint town. Crispy Duck, hot sausage , Drum & more. Don't miss this if you are in or near Oxford.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After game mealOghurri95Dined on 9/27/2014Though never been a fan of the chairs we sat at a mid room table. Service was top notch from server, to drink delivery, food delivery, clearing & completion. Food was good but not anything notable. More nostalgic with shrimp & grits ordered - we also tried the lamb boudin & raw vegetable salad- the other entree was the duck which was pretty good but presentation a little sub par. All in all a wonderful experience because of the drinks and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemGayleDined on 9/27/2014Service was great - Food delicious - we both had salads and they were quite salty (we don't use salt at home so it really tasted salty to us) We have been to this reestaurant before and have never been disappointed!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Oxford!Diner1936VIPDined on 9/20/2014This is my all time favorite restaurant in Oxford. Consistently fabulous food, wonderful service, and lovely dining experience! The menu changes seasonally so it also fresh and up-to-date! The waiters are friendly and knowledgeable. I always want to eat at City Grocery when I am in town! Don't miss an opportunity to eat here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed.AndiDined on 9/11/2014Terrible. Maybe because they weren't prepared, but the strip steak was abhorrent. Service was mediocre. Seemingly trying. I won't be back until maybe the off season.....if that. And to be honest, this is my 3rd visit. Just not good.Special Features:
- Best Grouper Ever !!!BirthdayVIPDined on 8/25/2014I live in Dallas and have had grouper many times all over this country, but none was better prepared than the grouper here.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Food was OK but the service was very slow. I wouldn't go again anytime soon.
- too much/crowd for chef(in trng)TexasWineDistributorDined on 8/21/2014wow! have had some great meals here over last 4 years, not sure what happened Thursday night.... sloppy presentations, overcooked fish, burned softshell crab, when wait-staff took back to kitchen, chef(cook?) comments oh well....disappointing...to bad the place use to be a definite "must eat" not anymore. Better Choice -Lenora's Restaurant (walking distance from here) seems to be able to handle the crowds better in quality and customer service- at a$100plus a head-come on people get with the program!
- Great find on the squareOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014This was a recommendation form the locals and it did not disappoint. Great food in a quaint setting. A must try if you are in Oxford.Special Features:
- Amazing!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/20/2014Amazing food. Amazing service. Can't wait to go back! It will be my first stop the next time I'm in Oxford.Special Features:
- Delicious!CathydDined on 8/19/2014We have been multiple times and this restaurant never disappoints. Food is excellent. A bit noisy but a fun place to dine. Thankfully this Oxford restaurant takes reservations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Restaurant in OxfordDiner1936VIPDined on 8/18/2014This is my favorite restaurant in Oxford! The service is impeccable, the food divine, and what a great location! I had the Lamb Curry on my last visit and it was wonderful!! Would highly recommend to anyone visiting Oxford!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service ExceptionalNOLAREBVIPDined on 8/18/2014Service was excedllent from the time we were greeted by the hostess to the time we left. The staff is very well trained.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back to SchoolHard2pleaseDined on 8/16/2014Returned our daughter to Ole Miss for the Fall semester and with all our trips to Oxford we try to visit City Grocery. I am a fairly good "cook" and very difficult to please when it comes to food and wine. I have eaten at fine eateries all over the world and City Grocery continues to stay in my Top 10 everytime I eat there. It did not disappoint once again. A mistake if you enjoy at wonderful meal not to eat at City Grocery if anywhere near Oxford. Requested a "special" martini from the bartender (more of a mixologist) and he did quite well with what he named the Summertime Sadness. Ask Seth for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodFoodDined on 8/16/2014We had a great experience at City Grocery. My husband said his grouper was one of the best pieces of fish he has ever eaten. My food was also excellent.Special Features:
- Excellent!ricfoodieDined on 8/15/2014Our dinner was excellent as always! Never disappointed, always impressed with the menu items. The specials are always exceptional!Special Features:
- Superb dining experiencefanfrommemphisDined on 8/11/2014When in Oxford, MS, City Grocery is a must -- everything about your experience will be superior. For all the right reasons, City Grocery defines classic dining at its best. The menu and daily specials are unique -- fresh ingredients in scrumptious combinations. The service is attentive and courteous. And the setting is understated elegance. A wonderful, relaxing dinner.Special Features:
- ExcellentncscDined on 8/9/2014City Grocery was a fantastic experience. We started with some frites in order to sample the duck fat aioli. It did not disappoint. My quail was cooked perfectly, extremely tender with great carmelization from the grill. The star of the plate, however, may have been the lima beans on which the quail rested. My wife had the shrimp and grits. I found the taste interesting and innovative, but as I am from the Carolinas and am accustomed to a different take on the dish, it did not particularly appeal to me. But I appreciate the creativity nonetheless. The chevre-based crème brulee was a great ending -- not overly sweet. It seemed in general that the restaurant was experimenting with quite a lot of acidic and/or sour notes. Most worked very well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treatDiningmomDined on 8/9/2014Always love coming to City Grocery and have been visiting it for 20 years, and it continues to get better and better. The food is unique and a little adventurous but familiar at the same time. Wonderful service and would recommend to anyone in Oxford - don't miss this one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really really goodSwimmeretDined on 8/2/2014Nice, knowledgeable server. Really good food, great coffee. Cava was cold and still bubbly (some are fairly flat after being opened, but not here.) So good we were thinking of going back just to eat there, for my birthday.Special Features:
- hate2dinealoneDined on 7/25/2014First class food with good service. Noise level high. As good as anywhere in America and certainly the finest in Oxford.Special Features:
- The following 49 reviews are from the City Grocery reviews archive.
- Highly satisfiedTravelingEaterDined on 6/27/2014Visiting Oxford for the second time now, I knew I had to stop in at the notable and award-winning City Grocery. The staff was knowledgeable, the food itself was delicious, and the timing of everything flowed great. If you're willing to splurge a little for a nice dinner, this is the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Angry ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/21/2014The meal was not an enjoyable experience, mostly because of our "angry" waitress. Other servers were quite nice.
- Kate2011Dined on 6/20/2014Appetizers and salad outstanding. We were disappointed in the entrees. Shrimp and grits extremely salty, so much so, that I could hardly eat them. Special that evening was nothing special. Never asked by server as to our satisfaction with the entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good restaurant on the SquarePilotpaulDined on 6/17/2014My only complaint was the pricing. I had the rib eye steak, which was good, but at $31.00, I think more should have come with it. The service was excellent! And, the wine list was pretty reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMMYPepperDined on 6/11/2014We dined at City Grocery during our trip for our Daughters Ole Miss orientation. Dinner was very great, we all got something different and everything was just perfect. The wine was good, the desert was good. But the noise level (people)and temperature in the rest. was loud and a little stuffy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 6/6/2014Did not like it. Did not like it. Did not like it.
- John Currance never disappoints youBobbyVIPDined on 5/23/2014Spring menu has just started and it was a nice mix of choices. As always the foo is very innovative but draws on southern roots with some interesting twists. If you visit Oxford it is a must for fine dining.Special Features:
- Phenomenal Dining Experienceufmark79Dined on 5/15/2014Everything and everyone was awesome. Especially enjoyed eating at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad ExperienceGoresDined on 5/9/2014We have been here several times but today the whole experience was horrible. Before my elderly father could get to his chair, the hostess loudly and rudely told him to take off his hat, which he would have done as soon as he got seated. It then took over ten minutes to get water and with a mostly empty restaurant. The best food was the shrimp and grits hands down but the Po'boy and Chicken Salad were not worth ordering. Service was definitely off and it wasn't a very welcoming experience. With all of the great restaurants in town, we will be patronizing those instead. It was a busy weekend with graduation but someone forgot each customer counts.Special Features:
- Wonderful but LoudMMRazorbackDined on 5/3/2014Our food was wonderful (lemon garlic shrimp po boys), and our waitress was good. But, the lunch crowd on Saturday afternoon was pretty loud. We have visited for dinner before, and the ambiance is better in the evening than during the day. Great spot though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oxford wanna-beBettyVIPDined on 4/26/2014Once again this restaurant is the best in Oxford. I am from California and I wish John Currence would open a restaurant there. He would fit right in. As, a matter of fact. We only eat at his restaurants ( snack bar,big bad breakfast,Boure. All of them really good Always a treat to come back nd enjoy outstanding food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.