1001 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.citycafebaltimore.com/
- Phone: 4105394252x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 7:30am - 10:00pm, Friday: 7:30am - 10:30pm, Saturday: 10:00am - 10:30pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Vegetarian
- Executive Chef: Jared Rhine
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our semi-private dining loft accommodates up to 30 guests comfortably. Our front cafe area accommodates up to 40 seated or 80 standing.
We offer a variety of affordable prix-fixe menu options which are customizable to specific taste and dietary preferences.
For more information visit our website or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Contact: Crystal Wack 410-539-4252 x
- Cross Street: Eager St.
- Public Transit: The Charm City Circulator Purple Route stops a block away at the corner of Charles and Eager Streets. It’s FREE and convenient transportation from Federal Hill to Penn Station.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Complimentary valet parking available on Friday and Saturday nights and free self parking, on a convenient nearby lot, on weeknights after 6PM and weekend afternoons. The lot is located on the South-West corner of Cathedral and Eager Streets. There is a three hour limit and all vehicles must be moved when you depart City Cafe. Posted restrictions apply. There are plenty of metered spots on the left side of Cathedral Street and all along Eager Street. There are two nearby paid surface lots.
A word from City Cafe
Award winning food, a stylish downtown setting, and warm service comes together at the corner of Cathedral & Eager Streets in the historic Mount Vernon Cultural District. We serve Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner daily plus Brunch on both Saturdays and Sundays. Nearby parking is complimentary at nights and all day on weekends. Reservations are recommended but not required.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
City Cafe - Best Restaurants in Mt. Vernon ›
City Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
215 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (124)great for brunch (97)fit for foodies (95)great for lunch (68)great for outdoor dining (64)good for groups (56)special occasion (47)vibrant bar scene (40)hot spot (39)romantic (23)late-night find (22)notable wine list (19)kid-friendly (16)scenic view (7)Show More
- NicejudyrDined on 8/14/2014Good food. Server was attentive yet gave us plenty of time and space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty late lunch with large groupPA2DCDinerVIPDined on 8/10/2014Tasty food. Service was a bit slow even thought the restaurant wasn't full. The layout may make it hard for waiters.Special Features:
- Love it!WeeyumDined on 8/9/2014My man left happy!! Thanks again for such a wonderfuldiningexperience, just like always!!Special Features:
- What more could you want?!?!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/8/2014Our food was delicious and our server superb. He suggested a wine for our meal and it was a great suggestion. Great food, delicious wine and good friends; you couldn't ask for anything more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a disappointment...OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/7/2014The City Cafe is fast becoming our favorite restaurant. This evening we brought new clients with us and they loved it. This couple is new to Baltimore and were excited to know about this neighborhood gem. (They said the restaurant reminded them of their neighborhood restaurant in Manhatten.). The food was delicious and since we visited during restaurant week it was hard to select our entree; every entree looked interesting. Our server was attentive and pleasant and our drinks were great. The prices were very reasonable. All in all a great night!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/6/2014Best bread pudding I've ever had! Great menu. Went there for restaurant week and there were good selections. Interesting and innovative cocktail listing. Live that you can have breakfast until 3 pmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Summer EveningGarpVIPDined on 8/3/2014Perfect weather, outstanding food, excellent service with great friends...can't ask for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at its bestLizHVIPDined on 8/3/2014By boyfriend and I had a wonderful brunch at City Cafe! The staff was super friendly and food was amazing! Plus, you can beat $5 mimosas :) I highly recommend starting with the fresh berries with house whipped cream....so delicious. I also had the pulled pork benedict. My boyfriend had the homestyle breakfast, which was plenty of food. We both left happy :)Special Features:
- Great first visitYummytoMyTummyDined on 8/1/2014I booked 9:00 reservations for two for restaurant week, with a request for a window seat. We arrived a bit early (8:45) and we're able tobbe seated. The hostess confirmed that we wanted a window seat and showed us the way. Our server was Sarah- to deceive her in two words- personable and inviting. There was a bit of a wait for our speciality drinks (about 6 minutes), and once they came they were...meh. But that didn't take away from our experience. We read over the Restaurant Week menu, but didn't find anything if interest so we preferred from the regular menu. I ordered the pesto pasto and my girlfriend ordered the seafood rigtto- both were phenomenal- and unfinishable! We both got to-go containers. Overall our experience was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love city cafe!NaekkoDined on 8/1/2014It was packed on friday but it was the first day of restaurant week, so that was to be expected. I always get reservations because this place is popular. Outstanding menu, well prepared drinks and top notch waitstaff. We can't wait to get back to City Cafe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CityslickerDined on 7/29/2014I had a fried chicken dish from the lunch menu which was really overcooked, chewy and dry. But my cocktail was decent and my server entertaining. I'd go back again because I've had great dishes there. Just won't be ordering that chicken again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchJulesDined on 7/27/2014Ask for the cinnamon rolls :) they are free and delicious. The waitress was funny and attentive. I split the French toast and Baltimore Benedict. French toast was awesome. Benedict was solid but not as good as RyleighsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Showing off BaltimoreJTD443VIPDined on 7/26/2014We were showing off the city to friends and City Cafe made a great impression. The food was interesting and delicious. Our waiter was wonderful. We were never rushed but nothing lingered too long. We didn't have to yell over music or noise to talk and it was a lively place with both special occasion diners as well as neighbors in shorts and tee shirts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BRAVO TO CITY CAFEDoubleD2Dined on 7/26/2014This is an excellent spot to bring groups, a date or celebrate for a special occassion. Highly recommend all the drink on the menu and excellent fried oysters:)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014Some interesting menu items, but execution of food did not match its promise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/26/2014Great service, great food. Always a pleasure. Best spot for brunch in Mount vernonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not meet expectationsDisppointedDined on 7/24/2014My boyfriend and I chose this restaurant for a special occasion meal with high expectations. Unfortunately, while the service was excellent, the food did not merit the price tag. I ordered the Salmon BLT which was delicious, though I wish they had a gluten free bread option available so as to keep my meal in sandwich form instead of in pieces on my plate. The fries were average. My boyfriend ordered the Seafood Risotto, and in my opinion, $26 was far too high for the quality of the meal. The scallops were minuscule and he found several shells and bits of sand in the dish, ruining the overall experience. There was little to no ambiance, and after paying $75 for our meal (with drinks), we were disappointed in that aspect as well.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/23/2014City Cafe should be on your list for delicious food and great service! Complementary valet parking is certainly a plus!Special Features:
- My re-discovery of City CafeMilliDined on 7/23/2014I hadn't been to City Café in about 3-4 years or so and was quite taken aback pleasantly when I walked through the doors and the layout had changed. The food was still as good as it was the last time as was the service. Now it has this great ambience and look to add to its charm. I can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!Emmers5628Dined on 7/22/2014Went to City Cafe with some girlfriends to celebrate a birthday. Making the reservations online was a cinch, they offer free valet parking, the food and service was outstanding. Definitely add City Cafe to your list of places to try (and return)!Special Features:
- another delicious meal...OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/22/2014The City Cafe is our 'go to restaurant'; we love it and have never been disappointed. This particular night we brought guests with us who are new to the city. They were delighted! The raved about the food (it was amazing) and loved the ambience. My guests said they can't wait to return for another delicious meal. Our server, Sarah, was amazing. She suggested a fabulous wine, which complimented our meal, and also a new item on the menu, a chilled cucumber soup. My husband said it was the best soup he has ever tasted. All of our dinners were cooked to perfection and dessert was outstanding. A beautiful evening, delicious food, and wonderful friends. Life is good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighborhood cafeRileyDined on 7/19/2014City Cafe was very good. We shared the meatless nachos. Excellent! I had the steak frites with the Gouda fries. The steak was hard to cut but flavored well. The Gouda fries were great though. I would definitely go back but don't think I would get the same entree again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place for lunchMooMuchoDined on 7/14/2014I was looking for a place near the train station to have a quick but nice lunch for me and my friend. We had about an hour and a half. The reservation was at noon and we were greater and seated quickly. The menu had some fun things on it such as a fruit and yogurt parfait and fresh salads. We received our drinks quickly but had to wait for a bit prior to ordering. This did not delay us and we received our orders in a timely manner. The food was excellent. We didn't get desert but there were some nice selections. All in all I really enjoyed the atmosphere, food, and location. I would recommend the place for friends and I would go back...in fact I wanted to take another friend the next day (but we were a bit far away). Good choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistantly awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014I have been going to the City Cafe for 15 years and it hhas the freshes food and the best service in the city. It is our "go to" place when we want a great dinner for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service! Terrible Food! YikesDannyGDined on 7/11/2014My date and I paid $17.00 dollars each (we ordered the same meal) for a tiny piece of salmon about as wide as my three fingers served on a cheap hamburger bun. You also served two slices of gross and burnt bacon, which is not normal for a supposedly healthy meal like salmon. The french fries were the lowest quality imaginable, like the kind they serve at fast food restaurants. Since I'm the one that suggested your restaurant for our first meeting, thanks for helping to make a great first impression! I had to literally apologize for the poor quality of your food more than once! I promise I'll never step foot inside your establishment as long as I live!
- Not our best experiencescw5057Dined on 6/29/2014The food was decent and our server was wonderful but the hostess was extremely rude and unpleasant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful mealBobGVIPDined on 6/27/2014The food was delicious, the portions were large, the pricing was very reasonable and the setting is energetic (on the loud side). What's not to like? Will return as long as it's this good.Special Features:
- Thanks City Cafe!wit2witDined on 6/22/2014Spoke to a friend about going to the City Cafe. She previewed the menu online and was happy to find items that could meet the needs of her restrictive diet. Nice website btw... easy to navigate. Nice menu! I made reservations through OpenTable and was seated immediately upon arrival. The interior had undergone some great changes since I was there many years ago. Our waiter was prompt & attentive during our meal (I believe his name was Sam - super nice). My friend order the 'Vegetable and egg white omelet', while I had the 'Grand Marnier French Toast'. I also had a perfectly mixed Cosmopolitan followed by a Fox Barrel Blackberry Pear Cider. Thanks City Cafe for a great brunch experience. I am sure dinner would be just as delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow Brunch!DinerDocDined on 6/21/2014Who woulda, coulda thought up a fried oysters rockefeller omlette?! How about fluffy pancakes with raspberry ricotta creme? Really different AND delicious. Love the diversity and all the staff. Fantastic team.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoydiningoutVIPDined on 6/14/2014The hostess and waiter were great. As were the food, ambiance and service. We love everything about the restaurant except the restrooms. There are only 2, located in very tight quarters and little room to wait. At one point is was in line behind 3 people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- don't go before theatre or concertruthDined on 6/13/2014arrived at 6:30 & told waitress we had to leave at 7:45 for concert - food arrived at 7:38!!!!!
- Another good experienceyentakvetchDined on 6/7/2014As always, the City Cafe was a perfect place for our party of five to meet upstairs, where it is quieter to talk and shmooze. Our waitress couldn't have been nicer. She did not make us feel hurried in any way. We got to visit over our drinks and talk for quite a while. The food came promptly. My husband had the Baltimore Club again and I had the crab cakes. We both agreed the crab cakes were not as good as they used to be. Otherwise, a perfect evening. We will be back. As we left, we loved seeing all the people dining outside at tables with music playing softly for them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PaulDined on 6/6/2014We always feel welcomed every time we visit City Cafe. The cuisine is creative and delicious and the service is very attentive and friendly.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerGayfoodieDined on 6/5/2014My husband and I went to celebrate our third anniversary and had an excellent meal (as always)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before the BSOOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/5/2014My wife and I go there regularly before each BSO event (we have seasons tickets), and each meal has been excellent. We don't even think of going anywhere else.Special Features:
- jojoDined on 6/4/2014Attentive, informative waiter. Good food. Our company loved their selections and we made our curtain with time to spare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/2/2014I went with a group on a Monday night and had an amazing experience. Our server was very attentive and personable. We started with the mini crab cakes and the lobster mac-and-cheese, which were really tasty. For dinner we lucked out that it was steak night! Probably the best steak deal in the city... you get your choice of steak with two sauces and two sides for around $17 a person. I had the flat iron with grilled zucchini and mashed potatoes. The steak was perfectly cooked and really tender and the zucchini was very delicious. For desert I HIGHLY recommend the pistachio creme brulee, it was the perfect ending to a wonderful dinner! I will definitely be coming back!Special Features:
- A favorite for good American farekimnicktDined on 6/2/2014City Cafe is a favorite for good, moderately-priced American dishes in a comfortable casual atmosphere. Definitely recommend it for a an easy brunch or dinner. Service is consistently good; nice desserts.Special Features:
- old favoriteNickDined on 6/1/2014City Cafe is great however dining there Sunday, June 1st was not pleasant due to the waitress who was short, rude and totally ungracious! Too bad as everyone else is so nice! We did tell her and the manager heard our disappointment in our treatment. She needs an attitude adjustment! I believe her name is Heidi.Special Features:
- StanDined on 5/31/2014Good food, especially the nachos, and friendly service, especially from our waiter and Valet crew members. Smiling faces were greatly appreciatedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.