1001 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.citycafebaltimore.com/
- Phone: (410) 539-4252
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 7:30am - 10:00pm, Friday: 7:30am - 10:30pm, Saturday: 10:00am - 10:30pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Vegetarian
- Executive Chef: Jared Rhine
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our semi-private dining loft accommodates up to 30 guests comfortably. Our front cafe area accommodates up to 40 seated or 80 standing.
We offer a variety of affordable prix-fixe menu options which are customizable to specific taste and dietary preferences.
For more information visit our website or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Contact: Crystal Wack 410-539-4252 x
- Cross Street: Eager St.
- Public Transit: The Charm City Circulator Purple Route stops a block away at the corner of Charles and Eager Streets. It’s FREE and convenient transportation from Federal Hill to Penn Station.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Complimentary valet parking available on Friday and Saturday nights and free self parking, on a convenient nearby lot, on weeknights after 6PM and weekend afternoons. The lot is located on the South-West corner of Cathedral and Eager Streets. There is a three hour limit and all vehicles must be moved when you depart City Cafe. Posted restrictions apply. There are plenty of metered spots on the left side of Cathedral Street and all along Eager Street. There are two nearby paid surface lots.
A word from City Cafe
Award winning food, a stylish downtown setting, and warm service comes together at the corner of Cathedral & Eager Streets in the historic Mount Vernon Cultural District. We serve Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner daily plus Brunch on both Saturdays and Sundays. Nearby parking is complimentary at nights and all day on weekends. Reservations are recommended but not required.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
City Cafe - Best Restaurants in Mt. Vernon ›
City Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
232 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (142)fit for foodies (127)great for brunch (89)good for groups (74)great for lunch (64)hot spot (62)great for outdoor dining (50)vibrant bar scene (43)special occasion (42)romantic (23)notable wine list (21)late-night find (17)kid-friendly (15)scenic view (6)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/24/2014The food and service is great! What more can you ask for???Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/23/2014Three of us for a dinner before a show at Center Stage. All loved our dishes (lamp chops, brussel sprout veggie plate and Ahi tuna). Service was promt and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great experience...teachingwellVIPDined on 11/21/2014I've now had brunch, lunch, coffee, and dinner at City Cafe, which means I should have discovered a weakness by now... But I haven't.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pity Cafegrazie2VIPDined on 11/21/2014Tasteless "rockfish," unfortunate steak frites (fat dominant steak, limp, cold fries) and confused service in a loud, frenzied environment conspire to provide a sufficiently disappointing experience that we will strike this facility from our list of recommendations in Baltimore.Special Features:
- Terrific as alwaysvivavinoVIPDined on 11/18/2014I visit City Cafe once a month or so, and it's consistently terrific. Knowledgable staff, comfortable spot and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding - Every time!RonNicDined on 11/15/2014City Cafe is always a favorite and consistently great! The menu is an eclectic mix and includes small plates as well as more traditional entrees. This time my wife said the Fried Green Tomatoes topped with Crab was the best she has ever had in a restaurant. Always a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!!TylerDined on 11/14/2014Had dinner at City Cafe for the first time Friday night and the entire experience was fantastic! From the start to finish our service was excellent. Fast, energetic and and very attentive is ideal in any server. Now for the food... I had the Seafood Risotto which was absolutely mouth watering, I couldn't get enough. For dessert we had a cranberry bread pudding with vanilla ice cream, it was divine. To wash it all down I had a couple of Old Fashion's that were very well made. It's not cheap, but it was worth every penny that I spent and I will definitely be going back. Overall, I would highly recommend this place to anyone that lives in or is visiting Baltimore City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Cosistent GemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/13/2014We go to the City Cafe about once every other month and like everything about it -- the food, service, prices (reasonable), etc. I recommend it -- period.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really great foodFredDined on 11/13/2014Wonderful, flavorful dishes very well presented. Always a pleasure to dine at City Cafe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistenly good.FoodieJimDined on 11/9/2014City Café never disappoints. The best lollipop lamb chops in the city. Keep up the good work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was coldMimmoVIPDined on 11/9/2014This was my first visit to this restaurant and I wasn't overly impressed. Service was mediocre, and the food was served cold. We should have sent it back, but the waitress was not great and difficult to flag down. We were in and out in an hour for brunch, so a leisurely meal, this was not.Special Features:
- Mixed bagTopgunDined on 11/8/2014Went to City Cafe with group of 4 on a Saturday night. Food and service was excellent. My only real complaint was that CC does not permit BYOB wine. That would be OK if their wine list was anything other than pedestrian from both a depth and quality perspective. Was more than willing to pay a corkage fee and even commit to bringing in higher end wines, but no joy. If you are a wine lover( and I don't mean a wine snob) better to go someplace else ( like Woodberry Kitchen)Special Features:
- Has Never DisappointedLoveToDineOutVIPDined on 11/8/2014The title says it all. Each time my wife and I have dinner at the City Café we have had very good food and excellent service.Special Features:
- Pre-Show Dinnernadineand3Dined on 11/8/2014We had a reservation and were sat timely. Waiter knew the menu and gave recommendations. Delicious cocktails followed by fast service of dinner in order to get to the show on time! Will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good to go backLuv2eatDined on 11/2/2014I try to get to City Cafe as often as I can. I really enjoy the food & the service is almost always excellent. I have been there for brunch, lunch, dinner, drinks & special occasions with groups. I don't think I have ever really had a complaint except when my favorite waiter Jonathan was not working. I love it outside when the weather is good. I will continue to and have recommended this restaurant to many people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SMTbaltimoreDined on 11/1/2014I love City Cafe, it's just a friendly atmosphere with GOOD food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, poor quality foodYayaDined on 10/31/2014We visited City Cafe after seeing a movie at the Charles- great location to complete an evening out. From the valet service to the hostess and wait staff, all provided terrific service. However, the white wine selection was "drab", with heavier bodied options non-existent; the red selection was better with some nicer choices. In general the food was disappointing. My husband had the lamb burger- dry and lacking in flavor while my hanger steak was almost impossible to cut, never mind chew. The accompanying fries were tasty, and my friend's chicken and dumplings enjoyable. His wife enjoyed the gnocchi but felt the sauce was heavy, unispired and did not pair well with lighter pasta. It may have been an off night for the kitchen....
- Waiter, get a pencil!DanGVIPDined on 10/26/2014Breakfasted there twice the same week. Food was good, but on both visits the waiter brought something other than what I ordered. I don't get particularly impressed when a waiter can remember an order without writing it down, but I do get very annoyed when they get it wrong because they didn't write it down. Waiters, get a clue, or at least a pencil! Coffee isn't the same as tea and classic eggs Benedict isn't the same as crab Benedict. And if you go on a morning where the sun is shining in the windows, don't let them sit you in the small area just to the right of the double front doors. You will be well-done by the time you finish eating.
- Really nice restaurant in BaltimoreCeCeDined on 10/25/2014City Café is really nice restaurant in Baltimore near the theatre. The food was very good and the service was good. I recommend this restaurant if you are in Baltimore. You will not be disappointed. I will go to it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!PankoVIPDined on 10/25/2014This was our first visit to City Cafe; it won't be our last. We intend to introduce some of our friends to it. It appears to be a popular pre-theatre destination (the Meyerhoff and Lyric, Baltimore institutions, are nearby). We can see why. Service is attentive and responsive. The menu is creative and interesting, so even fussy diners should be OK. The food is well prepared. It seems to have a significant "Southern influence" in terms of cooking style. Be careful: lots of dishes are on the heavy side; not in terms of portions (appropriate), but in terms of fat. Delicious though. Our group of four enjoyed tempura cauliflower, duck fat gouda fries, lamb burgers, mushroom ravioli, rockfish and a fig-based bread pudding for dessert. All good.Special Features:
- Creative but not precociousMimiVIPDined on 10/23/2014The food is great. My only "problem" was trying to decide what to get because it all sounded and looked (glancing at other tables) delicious. I got the pear/mache/goat cheese salad followed by the lamb burger. My husband got the lamb lollipops and the chicken pot pie. We loved it all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service. Great food.DCCajunVIPDined on 10/23/2014Felt like a true guest of the establishment. An unusual feeling for a Dc resident. Will absolutely return and recommend to others!Special Features:
- Wonderful food.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/20/2014I work around the and go for lunch. The food is always fresh and delicious. I highly recommend. It's not that big, so make a reservation.Special Features:
- A memorable eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/17/2014Delicious food served by a pleasant and attentive server. The menu was interesting and the wine list was exceptional. The duck entree was the best I've ever had. A memorable evening with good friends. What more could we ask for?Special Features:
- Nice pre theater choiceRuxtonvetVIPDined on 10/14/2014Good choice for a pre theater meal. Convenient to Center Stage.Special Features:
- NyahDined on 10/12/2014I love the relaxed feel of this place . I definitely would return to try more dishes. The risotto was amazing.The table was split on the monkfish – and the mushroom ravioli one person thought it was great, but another felt that the tastes didn't quite mesh. Service was well-timed and friendly, kept refilling wihtout needing to be asked. Overall it was a wonderufl experience.Special Features:
- DisappointedjoanyDined on 10/10/2014Took too long for food to arrive. One of the dinners was actually cold and was sent back. We specifically told the waiter that we had theater tickets and we allowed ourselves plenty of time, but since the meals took so long to come out, we ended up rushing.Special Features:
- Ask for Beth...Cheryl1aVIPDined on 10/9/2014...she was fun, knowledgeable about the menu, engaging, attentive, and bottom line, simply an excellent server. I really enjoyed the cocktail and (duck) entrée she recommended. Free and friendly valet parking was an added plus.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best ever Shrimp and GritsChinaVIPDined on 10/9/2014We wanted a restaurant close to Mt. Vernon Place and City Cafe's menu looked very appealing. We were not disappointed! The Shrimp and Grits "Carbonara" was well-flavored with Tasso ham, a subtle shallot cream sauce, and hazelnuts, and was topped with a poached egg. The Crab Salad featured an abundance of jumbo lump crab. For dessert, we shared a mini sampler of 3 tastes: creme brulee, flourless chocolate cake, and carrot cake. All were worth ordering in the full size. Next time!Special Features:
- Excellent dining experienceMegKDined on 10/4/2014Our server was knowledgeable if the entire menu, able to make suggestions, prompt and courteous. The food was interesting, delicious, and appropriately sized. Definitely would return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Imaginative cookingprematurelygrumpyDined on 10/4/2014Interesting menu, not just the usual Friday date night stuff you can get anywhere. We had a pear salad to share, a small-plate lollipop lamb chops and a pork-veal stew. It was enough that we had a second meal tonight, three days later, from the leftovers, and it was as good as before. Also a fig-bread pudding was a fine dessert, shared three ways with still some leftover. Prices were reasonable, considering the quality of the dinner. We would happily go back, because there were other interesting things we would like to try. Coffee was okay, not special. Wine list appropriate and reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Never disappointed....OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/3/2014Our dinner was delicious and the service was exceptional, as always. We have never been disappointed and always excited about trying new menu items. Tonight our friend ordered the duck entrée and I tried the seafood risotto; both were delicious and cooked superbly. We look forward to returning very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BettyVIPDined on 9/30/2014Excellent cream of crab soup - one of the best I have hadSpecial Features:
- Brunch was awesomeAnnaajDined on 9/28/2014Oyster omelet was amazing and the mimosa was very satisfying although the mint lime lemonade was even better. Pumpkin pancakes were very cinnamon-y and sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- orvilleOrvilleDined on 9/28/2014I enjoyed my meal. The food was good but not outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice - noise levelnamyarDined on 9/27/2014Noise level due to the "open" air feel of the resturant. Some sound absorption panels may helpSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love the brunch!!likesgreatfoodVIPDined on 9/27/2014Great innovative combinations - outside the box. Executes well ie: the pumpkin pancakes tasted awesome and oyster omelet was equally excellent! Love all my meals at this go to spot. Great food and service!Special Features:
- Worked for usMGBTHREEDined on 9/26/2014Great food, kid friendly at 5pm, and attentive staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- warm, welcoming and tastyWMColmes14VIPDined on 9/25/2014I like going here bc of the free valet and nice folks who run the place. lots of choicesSpecial Features:
- They tried....YikesDined on 9/24/2014My husband and I decided to dine at this restaurant due to its proximity to the Lyric. We were promptly seated and greeted by our server. The restaurant was not terribly crowded. We put our drink orders in, but it then took 15 minutes for our drinks (wine) to arrive. We ordered our entrees, and when they finally arrived, by husband's red snapper was terrible. He sent it back, only to have a 'new piece' brought out 15 minutes later, which was grossly under cooked. I'm a stickler for etiquette, and our server asked to clear my unfinished plate while my husband was waiting for his entrée. The manager did come over to the table to apologize and comped his entrée, which was untouched. Needless to say, we both left a little hungry.