1001 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.citycafebaltimore.com/
- Phone: 4105394252x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 7:30am - 10:00pm, Friday: 7:30am - 10:30pm, Saturday: 10:00am - 10:30pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Vegetarian
- Executive Chef: Jared Rhine
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our semi-private dining loft accommodates up to 30 guests comfortably. Our front cafe area accommodates up to 40 seated or 80 standing.
We offer a variety of affordable prix-fixe menu options which are customizable to specific taste and dietary preferences.
For more information visit our website or contact us at email@example.com
- Private Party Contact: Crystal Wack 410-539-4252 x
- Cross Street: Eager St.
- Public Transit: The Charm City Circulator Purple Route stops a block away at the corner of Charles and Eager Streets. It’s FREE and convenient transportation from Federal Hill to Penn Station.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Complimentary valet parking available on Friday and Saturday nights and free self parking, on a convenient nearby lot, on weeknights after 6PM and weekend afternoons. The lot is located on the South-West corner of Cathedral and Eager Streets. There is a three hour limit and all vehicles must be moved when you depart City Cafe. Posted restrictions apply. There are plenty of metered spots on the left side of Cathedral Street and all along Eager Street. There are two nearby paid surface lots.
A word from City Cafe
Award winning food, a stylish downtown setting, and warm service comes together at the corner of Cathedral & Eager Streets in the historic Mount Vernon Cultural District. We serve Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner daily plus Brunch on both Saturdays and Sundays. Nearby parking is complimentary at nights and all day on weekends. Reservations are recommended but not required.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
City Cafe - Best Restaurants in Mt. Vernon ›
City Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
195 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (118)fit for foodies (99)great for brunch (86)great for lunch (62)good for groups (61)great for outdoor dining (53)hot spot (52)special occasion (38)vibrant bar scene (37)romantic (22)notable wine list (19)late-night find (15)kid-friendly (14)scenic view (7)Show More
- A memorable eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/17/2014Delicious food served by a pleasant and attentive server. The menu was interesting and the wine list was exceptional. The duck entree was the best I've ever had. A memorable evening with good friends. What more could we ask for?Special Features:
- Nice pre theater choiceRuxtonvetVIPDined on 10/14/2014Good choice for a pre theater meal. Convenient to Center Stage.Special Features:
- NyahDined on 10/12/2014I love the relaxed feel of this place . I definitely would return to try more dishes. The risotto was amazing.The table was split on the monkfish – and the mushroom ravioli one person thought it was great, but another felt that the tastes didn't quite mesh. Service was well-timed and friendly, kept refilling wihtout needing to be asked. Overall it was a wonderufl experience.Special Features:
- DisappointedjoanyDined on 10/10/2014Took too long for food to arrive. One of the dinners was actually cold and was sent back. We specifically told the waiter that we had theater tickets and we allowed ourselves plenty of time, but since the meals took so long to come out, we ended up rushing.Special Features:
- Ask for Beth...Cheryl1aVIPDined on 10/9/2014...she was fun, knowledgeable about the menu, engaging, attentive, and bottom line, simply an excellent server. I really enjoyed the cocktail and (duck) entrée she recommended. Free and friendly valet parking was an added plus.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best ever Shrimp and GritsChinaVIPDined on 10/9/2014We wanted a restaurant close to Mt. Vernon Place and City Cafe's menu looked very appealing. We were not disappointed! The Shrimp and Grits "Carbonara" was well-flavored with Tasso ham, a subtle shallot cream sauce, and hazelnuts, and was topped with a poached egg. The Crab Salad featured an abundance of jumbo lump crab. For dessert, we shared a mini sampler of 3 tastes: creme brulee, flourless chocolate cake, and carrot cake. All were worth ordering in the full size. Next time!Special Features:
- Excellent dining experienceMegKDined on 10/4/2014Our server was knowledgeable if the entire menu, able to make suggestions, prompt and courteous. The food was interesting, delicious, and appropriately sized. Definitely would return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Imaginative cookingprematurelygrumpyDined on 10/4/2014Interesting menu, not just the usual Friday date night stuff you can get anywhere. We had a pear salad to share, a small-plate lollipop lamb chops and a pork-veal stew. It was enough that we had a second meal tonight, three days later, from the leftovers, and it was as good as before. Also a fig-bread pudding was a fine dessert, shared three ways with still some leftover. Prices were reasonable, considering the quality of the dinner. We would happily go back, because there were other interesting things we would like to try. Coffee was okay, not special. Wine list appropriate and reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Never disappointed....OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/3/2014Our dinner was delicious and the service was exceptional, as always. We have never been disappointed and always excited about trying new menu items. Tonight our friend ordered the duck entrée and I tried the seafood risotto; both were delicious and cooked superbly. We look forward to returning very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/30/2014Excellent cream of crab soup - one of the best I have hadSpecial Features:
- Brunch was awesomeAnnaajDined on 9/28/2014Oyster omelet was amazing and the mimosa was very satisfying although the mint lime lemonade was even better. Pumpkin pancakes were very cinnamon-y and sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- orvilleOrvilleDined on 9/28/2014I enjoyed my meal. The food was good but not outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice - noise levelnamyarDined on 9/27/2014Noise level due to the "open" air feel of the resturant. Some sound absorption panels may helpSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love the brunch!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/27/2014Great innovative combinations - outside the box. Executes well ie: the pumpkin pancakes tasted awesome and oyster omelet was equally excellent! Love all my meals at this go to spot. Great food and service!Special Features:
- Worked for usMGBTHREEDined on 9/26/2014Great food, kid friendly at 5pm, and attentive staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They tried....YikesDined on 9/24/2014My husband and I decided to dine at this restaurant due to its proximity to the Lyric. We were promptly seated and greeted by our server. The restaurant was not terribly crowded. We put our drink orders in, but it then took 15 minutes for our drinks (wine) to arrive. We ordered our entrees, and when they finally arrived, by husband's red snapper was terrible. He sent it back, only to have a 'new piece' brought out 15 minutes later, which was grossly under cooked. I'm a stickler for etiquette, and our server asked to clear my unfinished plate while my husband was waiting for his entrée. The manager did come over to the table to apologize and comped his entrée, which was untouched. Needless to say, we both left a little hungry.
- A Gem in Mid Town-BelvedereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2014The City Cafe is your "go to" place for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The food is an inventive take on classics, like the Baltimore Club; a jumbo lump crab cake topped with shrimp salad, bacon, lettuce and tomato. They have a fine selection of craft brews, including local beers from The Brewer's Art, the wine list is well chosen, and the cocktails are delicious, featuring classics like the Aviation, Moscow Mule, and Sazerac. I'd venture it's one of the finest eateries in Charm City!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect post symphony dinneranonymousDined on 9/21/2014Within walking distance from Meyerhoff, this was the perfect place for a post symphony dinner. The food was delicious and the service very good. We especially loved the mushroom ravioli, shrimp and grits and pistachio creme brûlée. This will be our new place when we are I the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing foodBaybearDined on 9/19/2014Some of the best food I've ever found in Baltimore! Rivals some of the best restaurants in San Francisco.Beautiful interior layout andnlook. Very creative dishes without being "messy" or over-the-top. Contrasting tastes and textures and bold flavors are found here. This is a "must go" for foodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another great mealvivavinoVIPDined on 9/16/2014City Cafe is reliably great food, fantastic cocktails, and always-competent service.Special Features:
- OUTSTANDING !!!BaltimoreNPVIPDined on 9/14/2014I had only been to City Cafe for dinner a few times before and this was my first brunch there. The food was fabulous and our server was so friendly (and understanding since the majority of our group dropped out and there were only two of us left !). I also had a rather clumsy accident with my meal and the waitress was kind enough to bring me another serving, even though I didn't really need it. Even though the brunch hadn't worked out as planned, the food and service made for a wonderful dining experience overall.Special Features:
- Enjoyablewear001Dined on 9/14/2014You will not swoon over the food, but you will get a good meal at a reasonable price in a fun setting.
- FoodieVIPDined on 9/14/2014Had a wonderful brunch. Every visit to city cafe is memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veg options clearly markedJenniferDined on 9/13/2014While there were only a couple vegetarian options in each category, they were clearly marked. One vegan dish was present on the menu. Overall, food quality was good-- the mushroom ravioli was amazing and the sauce was so rich! We also got their house-made veggie burger, which had great flavor and texture. Excellent beer and wines, though their pricing for drafts seemed a bit wonky (Yeungling was $6 and some much better locals only $5). The only thing I wasn't pleased with was the bread. It was spongy and made me wonder how good the rest of the food would be, if such a beginning detail like that was overlooked. They would be better served slicing baguettes from a local bakery than attempting focaccia.Special Features:
- Wonderful placeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2014I can't believe as many times as we have been to Baltimore, we have not discovered this place before. Wonderful experience. Went for brunch, food was great, bloody marys superb.Special Features:
- TrendyTengchienyuDined on 9/13/2014The space is well designed. The ceiling is high and my friends told me that it used to be a car dealer store. The food is nice. My friend recommended Chai Latte and it was good. A bit noisy but still tolerable. Definitely will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great scene and service.TheConqueror25VIPDined on 9/12/2014The service, decor, restrooms, coffee, and menu selections all exceeded my expectations. My egg white veggie omelet, however, was heavy on egg whites and wanting when it came to vegetables. It was cooked plenty, as is my preference, but lacked much flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently greatvivavinoVIPDined on 9/6/2014City Cafe does just about everything right. The food is always excellent, and the service matches it - attentive, not pushy, and always knowledgable about the menuSpecial Features:
- christianVIPDined on 9/6/2014Everything was very good and we were all round very pleased with the meal and service. They upped their game a while back and thankfully continue to hold at that level.
- DessertOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/2/2014Bread pudding for die for! Love that they have breakfast every day until 3 p.m.Special Features:
- Food experienceEkitzmilDined on 8/30/2014My son and I sought a restaurant where the food would be excellent, but not something we could fix ourselves and where the price wasn't the most memorable element of the experience. This restaurant met our expectations and more. The additional benefits were the service and atmosphere. Though not inexpensive, the customer leaves with satisfaction that the money was well spent. We looked at the brunch menu and want to go back for that experience. Given our transportation time is 1+ hr each way; this restaurant (food and staff), is a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NicejudyrDined on 8/14/2014Good food. Server was attentive yet gave us plenty of time and space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty late lunch with large groupPA2DCDinerVIPDined on 8/10/2014Tasty food. Service was a bit slow even thought the restaurant wasn't full. The layout may make it hard for waiters.Special Features:
- Love it!WeeyumDined on 8/9/2014My man left happy!! Thanks again for such a wonderfuldiningexperience, just like always!!Special Features:
- What more could you want?!?!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/8/2014Our food was delicious and our server superb. He suggested a wine for our meal and it was a great suggestion. Great food, delicious wine and good friends; you couldn't ask for anything more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a disappointment...OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/7/2014The City Cafe is fast becoming our favorite restaurant. This evening we brought new clients with us and they loved it. This couple is new to Baltimore and were excited to know about this neighborhood gem. (They said the restaurant reminded them of their neighborhood restaurant in Manhatten.). The food was delicious and since we visited during restaurant week it was hard to select our entree; every entree looked interesting. Our server was attentive and pleasant and our drinks were great. The prices were very reasonable. All in all a great night!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/6/2014Best bread pudding I've ever had! Great menu. Went there for restaurant week and there were good selections. Interesting and innovative cocktail listing. Live that you can have breakfast until 3 pmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Summer EveningGarpVIPDined on 8/3/2014Perfect weather, outstanding food, excellent service with great friends...can't ask for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at its bestLizHVIPDined on 8/3/2014By boyfriend and I had a wonderful brunch at City Cafe! The staff was super friendly and food was amazing! Plus, you can beat $5 mimosas :) I highly recommend starting with the fresh berries with house whipped cream....so delicious. I also had the pulled pork benedict. My boyfriend had the homestyle breakfast, which was plenty of food. We both left happy :)Special Features:
- Great first visitYummytoMyTummyDined on 8/1/2014I booked 9:00 reservations for two for restaurant week, with a request for a window seat. We arrived a bit early (8:45) and we're able tobbe seated. The hostess confirmed that we wanted a window seat and showed us the way. Our server was Sarah- to deceive her in two words- personable and inviting. There was a bit of a wait for our speciality drinks (about 6 minutes), and once they came they were...meh. But that didn't take away from our experience. We read over the Restaurant Week menu, but didn't find anything if interest so we preferred from the regular menu. I ordered the pesto pasto and my girlfriend ordered the seafood rigtto- both were phenomenal- and unfinishable! We both got to-go containers. Overall our experience was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.