5757 West Lovers Lane
Dallas, TX 75209Neighborhood:
NW Dallas / Love Field Area
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thecitycafedallas.com/
- Phone: (214) 351-2233
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Mon , Tues, Wed, Thu, Fri 11:30-2:00pm
DINNER: Mon, Tues, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat and Sun 5:00-9:30pm
BRUNCH: Sat, Sun 11:00-2:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Mario Flores
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full Service catering available. Drop off available.
- Special Events: Corporate events, Bridal showers, weddings. Private events.
A word from City Cafe
On the northwestern edge of University Park sits an exceptional white-tablecloth neighborhood bistro. The menu changes seasonally, but it retains the relaxed New American-California character that has been the restaurant’s trademark since 1985. Impressing even distinguished American chef Julia Child, for over two decades City Café has been widely recognized in Texas Monthly, Food & Wine Magazine, Zagat, Wine Spectator, D Magazine, and was also recipient of AAA’s “Diamond Award”.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
City Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (29)fit for foodies (20)special occasion (20)romantic (18)great for lunch (17)great for brunch (9)notable wine list (5)good for groups (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- Elegant dining experience - quiet atmosphere.KarlaDined on 11/25/2014A lovely and well established restaurant where the food is always great and beautifully presented. One gets personal attention from the owner and impeccable service from the staff. Great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WwwwVIPDined on 11/21/2014Always excellent in quality and service! One restaurant where you can talk comfortably with one another.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still good, if not greatHenryhonDined on 11/8/2014We had not been back to City Cafe in years. The only reason I could think of is that there are so many good and new restaurants in Dallas. However, this place got back on our list. The seafood appetizer plate was "great". We were there with another couple and each of us were very happy with our main courses too. The menu had something for everyone. We did not have dessert. Please give this place a try, if you have not been in awhile, you will be glad you did..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/8/2014Karim is very generous with his special California Cabernets.Special Features:
- Nice restaurant, good foodktk123Dined on 11/8/2014City Café is a nice restaurant. No big complaints. Good ambience. Good soup and salad. Good wine by the glass. My wife liked her meal (beef bourgogne). I was less satisfied with mine (risotto). A nice experience, but not great for the price.
- City Cafe -DallasOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014The minute we walked in the door, we were showered with attention and excellent service. We were visiting Dallas from Kansas City and we were "over the moon" with the service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fabulous and consistantchozieaterVIPDined on 11/5/2014Time after time I go back to this restaurant because of the low noise level and exceptional food. The crab cakes are always delicious and I feel comfortable recommending anything on the menu to my guests.Special Features:
- Pricey, not outstandingGatellVIPDined on 10/24/2014Salad and soup were tasty. Rissotto somewhat underdone. Veal scallopine excellent, served on well-seasoned mashed potatoes. Service was attentive but slow. Wine selection limited and pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Becoming a Friday Night StandardBHDFWVIPDined on 10/24/2014This place has earned a standing rotation spot in our Friday night restaurants list. Great Food - Attentive Service - Quiet and Relaxing Atmosphere. If you have not given it a try - do yourself a favor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood RestaurantimonsecondVIPDined on 10/24/2014This is one of my favorite neighborhood restaurants. Great food, with some unusual items (who ever heard of Caesar salad with warm eggplant croutons - great!), and really great service from managers to waitpeople. The veal scaloppini was wonderful, cooked to perfection, thin and delicate. The scallops and the salmon entrees were great. We brought a guest, who loved it so much that he ordered an additional entrée to take home with him. Actually, this is a nice place to take people from your neighborhood to introduce them to another neighborhood restaurant. There is also a City Café To Go next door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perennial FavoriteDiningdivaVIPDined on 10/21/2014City Cafe remains a wonderful lunch and dinner spot. The food and service are excellent year-in and year-out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Park Cities GemDinesoutoftenVIPDined on 10/20/2014A lovely setting with excellent staff and Host. Food is creative, yet tastes like comfort food. Excellent execution of delicious cuisine.Special Features:
- too pricy for my tasteJimGDined on 10/19/2014The taste for the dishes we experienced didn't justify the price. Not a traditional Sunday brunch.
- Outstanding as always!!!freddiefrogVIPDined on 10/12/2014As always quality of the food is only exceeded by the warmth, cordiality and perfection of our reception and service! R. Fred Hosey
- Our Second Time Even Better!BHDFWVIPDined on 10/3/2014We are spoiled - we get to eat at some of the best Dallas has to offer every week. After we have tried a new place, we always ask ourselves - "Did we have something that makes us want to come back soon? (over our other choices) In City's case - the answer is YES! If you have not given City a try - treat yourself soon!Special Features:
- a most pleasant surprisenoPspleaseDined on 9/26/2014Visiting Dallas. Made a reservation on open table and am so happy to find this wonderful restaurant. The service was outstanding. The food was fabulously presented and prepared. And, my dad who always insists on paying the bill, wants to return here on his next visit to Dallas! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Becoming a Favorite!BHDFWVIPDined on 9/19/2014My wife and I finally tried this place out after driving by it for years - it was great! One of a few restaurants we have found that is actually quiet - even with an open kitchen. Their approach is "old school" - great food served at a leisurely pace - so you can really enjoy your evening. They even deboned an incredible fish entree at the table. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greatly DisappointingWiserolderDined on 9/13/2014I have enjoyed City Café in the past, but this experience was extremely "under whelming" and disappointing. We arrived about 7:50pm for an 8:00 reservation and were greeted immediately. We were left standing by the bar (without any bartender present) waiting for someone to ask what we would like to drink. We finally secured drinks, after approaching a wait staff. We were seated about 10 minutes later and ordered our meals. I ordered the Chilean Sea Bass, after inquiring how it is prepared and my dear friend ordered a salad, after our appetizer. The salad was almost entirely only lettuce and the Chilean Sea Bass was bland and not prepared very well. The dessert was the best part of the meal!! Very disappointing meal and overall service.
- Our favorite place in DallasPatzmarVIPDined on 9/13/2014We eat here often. The food is the best. Menu changes often and there are always great nightly special entres. Love to take friends. It is not noisy which means you can visit while enjoying great food! The staff is amazing. Very friendly and accommodating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You Get What You Pay ForFunkyRelicDined on 9/5/2014This is one of the most expensive restaurants I've been to where someone else wasn't paying. I will say that the service and food is top notch. My wife has a gluten allergy and the manager himself came to the table to make sure the order was taken properly. I really appreciated the extra effort made to make sure she was happy and that her dietary restrictions were met. Some places act like its a big inconvenience, but not City Cafe. They went out of their way to take care of her and seemed happy to do so.Special Features:
- Defines neighborhood gemOenofoodieVIPDined on 9/3/2014We love coming to city cafe. Great for date night, special celebrations, or just a good meal in an intimate atmosphere. Karin is the consulate host - what a blessing to have a nice neighborhood cafe where your host knows you by name and the staff is attentive and the food delicious yet creative. Classic bar with generous attention as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Find! Could Not Be Happier!DragonFoodieDined on 8/30/2014Our visit to City Cafe was purely happenstance. We dropped some teenagers off for a concert at South Side Ballroom and I used Open Table to find a restaurant that had an available reservation reasonably close by. Found City Cafe and could not have been happier. We live in Southlake and don't often travel to Dallas for dinner, but will make the drive here again. I had seen diver scallops on lobster risotto on prior reviews, but it was not on the menu last night. Until I asked for it. They actually made a lobster risotto for me on the spot. My wife and her mother LOVED their meals as well. Host (owner?) Karim was the most accommodating restauranteur I've experienced in some time. Felt like we were dining in a fine European restaurant.Special Features:
- Just what we were looking forLuvToCookDined on 8/30/2014We celebrated our anniversary at City Cafe. The food was excellent and the service was perfect. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- A GemClouseauVIPDined on 8/26/2014Wonderful small and charming establishment where you can actually have a conversation. White table cloths and candles make this restaurant an excellent spot for an intimate casual and romantic dinner as well. Very knowledgeable staff make you feel completely at home. Excellent, real cocktails and cuisine. I'd highly recommend-Special Features:
- nicole3601Dined on 8/18/2014This is the third time I have been to City Café in the past few months and it is so pleasant for lunch, dinner and brunch. At my age I have a hearing problem in some places where the noise level is high, but this café is perfect for a conversation with one or a group. One was a special occasion with 7 people and the service was great, food excellent and everyone enjoyed the evening. Two other time I was in a smaller group for dinner and there was time to visit without a lot of service people being sure everything was fine. There was no rush to have us leave the table for other clients. Perfect place to have a lovely meal and great visit.Special Features:
- The Salmon melted in my mouth!chozieaterVIPDined on 8/18/2014My waitress knew my name, my allergies and alerted the chef and made sure all was taken care of. Very attentive in a stand-of way that you want a wait person to be. Food was fabulous. We both had the Blackened Grilled Salmon Salad. I had them just grill it and asked for it rare...it melted in my mouth. It was that good!!! Not only was the salmon grilled but so was the romaine lettuce. Quite delicious and new to my taste buds.Special Features:
- Great cafe, rude "host."nobucketlistDined on 8/6/2014This was my first visit to this lovely neighborhood cafe. Very nice lunch spot and the crab cakes were a wonderful suggestion of our helpful server, Heidi. We told her it was our first visit and she made some wonderful suggestions while being appropriately friendly. The person I assume is listed as the host, a gentleman in a shirt and tie, came by and ask her/us if she was discussing the menu? We found this to be rude and very unprofessional. He then started shadowing her every move and stopping to listen to every thing she said to us. It was early and we were one of only three tables seated so the stalking was very obvious. Not sure what was going on, but it should not have been happening in front of customers.Special Features:
- An off-day cafeimonsecondVIPDined on 7/31/2014I like City Café and have always had good food, great service and an enjoyable, relaxing dinner. Try their signature tomato soup, or the lobster ravioli with diver scallops as starters. Both were excellent. Not so great were the entrees. I ordered the filet mignon medium rare. The first go around it was medium well. The second go around it was practically raw and like goldilocks, the third go around was fine. My husband ordered the special sea bass, and said it was good but nothing spectacular. The waiter and manager were both very attentive, but the chef must have had an off-day.Special Features:
- First visitTsilverVIPDined on 7/30/2014Great find on Open Table from an out of towner! Loved the food and the service. The nightly special, Trout & Scallops, was delicious. I will be back when I am in town again.Special Features:
- The following 116 reviews are from the City Cafe reviews archive.
- Great Restaurant!dgh1958VIPDined on 7/26/2014We had a lovely lunch with just a couple of hiccups; however, we will be back very soon. Service is impeccable and Karim makes you feel like the most special person in the world. Very classy establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful old favorite!SpartyhomerDined on 7/24/2014I hadn't been to City Cafe in 24 years. I decided to return there this week to try it out again given it's consistently good ratings. What a gem! Wonderful food, outstanding service and very good wine list. We will definitely be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a miss this timeBusterVIPDined on 7/18/2014Usually I have great experiences with City Cafe but tonight just a series of missteps. Ordered a gin gimlet up and a vodka martini arrived. sent back; this time it was vodka with enough rose's lime juice to pickle a cucumber. ordered the rack of lamb; six arrived; each with barely enough meat for one, small bite. service was friendly but over experience was below previous meals.
- Yes I can hear!jmikelDined on 6/28/2014Perfect place for a discussion at dinner. The halibut was cooked perfectly yet very bland. Service and wines were excellent.Special Features:
- greatpeteVIPDined on 6/27/2014they have updated the menu; the food was fantastic; looking forward to next visit.Special Features:
- Lovely and QuietDallasDinerVIPDined on 6/27/2014Like restaurants used to be! Delicious food, excellent service and conducive to conversation!Special Features:
- Fun and FriendlybonbonVIPDined on 6/27/2014our ladies tennis team had a season end luncheon at City Cafe. The staff was very nice to us and eager to please. All the food choices came out in a timely fashion and tasted fantastic. we had really enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sen61Dined on 6/26/2014We wanted a quiet place to celebrate a special occasion. The crab cakes wereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DEEEELiciousLikesVeggiesDined on 6/21/2014We brought new friend who have just moved to town to this sweet spot for dining. They thoroughly enjoyed the scallops and the roasted chicken, we marveled at the trout. My side of asparagus was the perfect addition to the dinner. The attention to detail as we were being seated was delightful and our server was engaging and pleasant without hovering. A wonderful experience all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and attentive serviceSteveVIPDined on 6/13/2014Truly professional wait staff and excellent food. Couldn't have been more pleasedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely atmosphere and foodCoachMinaDined on 6/8/2014We met here for brunch at church on Sunday, and the food was so lovely. Everything was super fresh and the variety was very nice. The service was impeccable--the staff very friendly. I haven't been her in ages, but I will go back again soon.Special Features: