5757 West Lovers Lane
Dallas, TX 75209Neighborhood:
NW Dallas / Love Field Area
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thecitycafedallas.com/
- Phone: 2143512233
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Mon , Tues, Wed, Thu, Fri 11:30-2:00pm
DINNER: Mon, Tues, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat and Sun 5:00-9:30pm
BRUNCH: Sat, Sun 11:00-2:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Mario Flores
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from City Cafe
On the northwestern edge of University Park sits an exceptional white-tablecloth neighborhood bistro. The menu changes seasonally, but it retains the relaxed New American-California character that has been the restaurant’s trademark since 1985. Impressing even distinguished American chef Julia Child, for over two decades City Café has been widely recognized in Texas Monthly, Food & Wine Magazine, Zagat, Wine Spectator, D Magazine, and was also recipient of AAA’s “Diamond Award”.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
City Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (27)neighborhood gem (25)romantic (18)fit for foodies (17)great for lunch (15)great for brunch (12)good for groups (9)notable wine list (5)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Greatly DisappointingWiserolderDined on 9/13/2014I have enjoyed City Café in the past, but this experience was extremely "under whelming" and disappointing. We arrived about 7:50pm for an 8:00 reservation and were greeted immediately. We were left standing by the bar (without any bartender present) waiting for someone to ask what we would like to drink. We finally secured drinks, after approaching a wait staff. We were seated about 10 minutes later and ordered our meals. I ordered the Chilean Sea Bass, after inquiring how it is prepared and my dear friend ordered a salad, after our appetizer. The salad was almost entirely only lettuce and the Chilean Sea Bass was bland and not prepared very well. The dessert was the best part of the meal!! Very disappointing meal and overall service.
- Our favorite place in DallasPatzmarVIPDined on 9/13/2014We eat here often. The food is the best. Menu changes often and there are always great nightly special entres. Love to take friends. It is not noisy which means you can visit while enjoying great food! The staff is amazing. Very friendly and accommodating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You Get What You Pay ForFunkyRelicDined on 9/5/2014This is one of the most expensive restaurants I've been to where someone else wasn't paying. I will say that the service and food is top notch. My wife has a gluten allergy and the manager himself came to the table to make sure the order was taken properly. I really appreciated the extra effort made to make sure she was happy and that her dietary restrictions were met. Some places act like its a big inconvenience, but not City Cafe. They went out of their way to take care of her and seemed happy to do so.Special Features:
- Defines neighborhood gemOenofoodieVIPDined on 9/3/2014We love coming to city cafe. Great for date night, special celebrations, or just a good meal in an intimate atmosphere. Karin is the consulate host - what a blessing to have a nice neighborhood cafe where your host knows you by name and the staff is attentive and the food delicious yet creative. Classic bar with generous attention as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Find! Could Not Be Happier!DragonFoodieDined on 8/30/2014Our visit to City Cafe was purely happenstance. We dropped some teenagers off for a concert at South Side Ballroom and I used Open Table to find a restaurant that had an available reservation reasonably close by. Found City Cafe and could not have been happier. We live in Southlake and don't often travel to Dallas for dinner, but will make the drive here again. I had seen diver scallops on lobster risotto on prior reviews, but it was not on the menu last night. Until I asked for it. They actually made a lobster risotto for me on the spot. My wife and her mother LOVED their meals as well. Host (owner?) Karim was the most accommodating restauranteur I've experienced in some time. Felt like we were dining in a fine European restaurant.Special Features:
- Just what we were looking forLuvToCookDined on 8/30/2014We celebrated our anniversary at City Cafe. The food was excellent and the service was perfect. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- A GemClouseauVIPDined on 8/26/2014Wonderful small and charming establishment where you can actually have a conversation. White table cloths and candles make this restaurant an excellent spot for an intimate casual and romantic dinner as well. Very knowledgeable staff make you feel completely at home. Excellent, real cocktails and cuisine. I'd highly recommend-Special Features:
- nicole3601Dined on 8/18/2014This is the third time I have been to City Café in the past few months and it is so pleasant for lunch, dinner and brunch. At my age I have a hearing problem in some places where the noise level is high, but this café is perfect for a conversation with one or a group. One was a special occasion with 7 people and the service was great, food excellent and everyone enjoyed the evening. Two other time I was in a smaller group for dinner and there was time to visit without a lot of service people being sure everything was fine. There was no rush to have us leave the table for other clients. Perfect place to have a lovely meal and great visit.Special Features:
- The Salmon melted in my mouth!chozieaterVIPDined on 8/18/2014My waitress knew my name, my allergies and alerted the chef and made sure all was taken care of. Very attentive in a stand-of way that you want a wait person to be. Food was fabulous. We both had the Blackened Grilled Salmon Salad. I had them just grill it and asked for it rare...it melted in my mouth. It was that good!!! Not only was the salmon grilled but so was the romaine lettuce. Quite delicious and new to my taste buds.Special Features:
- Great cafe, rude "host."nobucketlistDined on 8/6/2014This was my first visit to this lovely neighborhood cafe. Very nice lunch spot and the crab cakes were a wonderful suggestion of our helpful server, Heidi. We told her it was our first visit and she made some wonderful suggestions while being appropriately friendly. The person I assume is listed as the host, a gentleman in a shirt and tie, came by and ask her/us if she was discussing the menu? We found this to be rude and very unprofessional. He then started shadowing her every move and stopping to listen to every thing she said to us. It was early and we were one of only three tables seated so the stalking was very obvious. Not sure what was going on, but it should not have been happening in front of customers.Special Features:
- An off-day cafeimonsecondVIPDined on 7/31/2014I like City Café and have always had good food, great service and an enjoyable, relaxing dinner. Try their signature tomato soup, or the lobster ravioli with diver scallops as starters. Both were excellent. Not so great were the entrees. I ordered the filet mignon medium rare. The first go around it was medium well. The second go around it was practically raw and like goldilocks, the third go around was fine. My husband ordered the special sea bass, and said it was good but nothing spectacular. The waiter and manager were both very attentive, but the chef must have had an off-day.Special Features:
- First visitTsilverVIPDined on 7/30/2014Great find on Open Table from an out of towner! Loved the food and the service. The nightly special, Trout & Scallops, was delicious. I will be back when I am in town again.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant!dgh1958VIPDined on 7/26/2014We had a lovely lunch with just a couple of hiccups; however, we will be back very soon. Service is impeccable and Karim makes you feel like the most special person in the world. Very classy establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful old favorite!SpartyhomerDined on 7/24/2014I hadn't been to City Cafe in 24 years. I decided to return there this week to try it out again given it's consistently good ratings. What a gem! Wonderful food, outstanding service and very good wine list. We will definitely be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a miss this timeBusterVIPDined on 7/18/2014Usually I have great experiences with City Cafe but tonight just a series of missteps. Ordered a gin gimlet up and a vodka martini arrived. sent back; this time it was vodka with enough rose's lime juice to pickle a cucumber. ordered the rack of lamb; six arrived; each with barely enough meat for one, small bite. service was friendly but over experience was below previous meals.
- Yes I can hear!jmikelDined on 6/28/2014Perfect place for a discussion at dinner. The halibut was cooked perfectly yet very bland. Service and wines were excellent.Special Features:
- greatpeteVIPDined on 6/27/2014they have updated the menu; the food was fantastic; looking forward to next visit.Special Features:
- Lovely and QuietDallasDinerVIPDined on 6/27/2014Like restaurants used to be! Delicious food, excellent service and conducive to conversation!Special Features:
- Fun and FriendlybonbonVIPDined on 6/27/2014our ladies tennis team had a season end luncheon at City Cafe. The staff was very nice to us and eager to please. All the food choices came out in a timely fashion and tasted fantastic. we had really enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014We wanted a quiet place to celebrate a special occasion. The crab cakes wereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DEEEELiciousLikesVeggiesDined on 6/21/2014We brought new friend who have just moved to town to this sweet spot for dining. They thoroughly enjoyed the scallops and the roasted chicken, we marveled at the trout. My side of asparagus was the perfect addition to the dinner. The attention to detail as we were being seated was delightful and our server was engaging and pleasant without hovering. A wonderful experience all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and attentive serviceSteveVIPDined on 6/13/2014Truly professional wait staff and excellent food. Couldn't have been more pleasedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely atmosphere and foodCoachMinaDined on 6/8/2014We met here for brunch at church on Sunday, and the food was so lovely. Everything was super fresh and the variety was very nice. The service was impeccable--the staff very friendly. I haven't been her in ages, but I will go back again soon.Special Features:
- BrunchloverVIPDined on 6/6/2014We had a very nice dinner here. The food and service were excellent. It was quiet and a good place for conversation but not for people watching. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch last Sunday June 1stSundaybrunchfor6Dined on 6/1/2014Wonderful brunch At City Café last Sunday! My mother was here visiting from Memphis and loved it. The table settings, flowers, service and food were as perfect as could be!Special Features:
- The following 103 reviews are from the City Cafe reviews archive.
- 1boyfriendDined on 5/11/2014One can always count on having a good meal at City Cafe. The wine list is very good with varying prices for all budgets. The interior is elegant and yet not stuffy. The staff is very accommodating and efficient and friendly. I recommend it for all ages.Special Features:
- Just Right for Us!!!freddiefrogVIPDined on 5/11/2014We had a perfect Mothers Day dinner: an early reservation to beat the crowd; great food (best liver and onions on the PLANET!!); always wonderful service; an atmosphere that conduces to normal conversational tones instead of shrieking over too loud music; Karim, Jessy, Mario, Charlotte and the rest of the staff always make us feel very welcome and at home! We have that many reasons to highly recommend City Café and keep going back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDallasMomTravelsVIPDined on 5/11/2014We visited City Cafe for brunch on Mother's Day and were very disappointed with the quality of food and service. The prices were high for the quality as well. We had not eaten there in quite some time and I think the ownership or management has changed and not for the better. We will not return.
- excellent restaurantBusterVIPDined on 5/9/2014It continues to live up to its high quality reputation. Plus, it is the only restaurant I know of that keeps liver and onions on their basic menu. Wonderful service; Karim, the host, is charming.Special Features:
- Lovely for a quiet lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/9/2014Quiet, you can talk, very polite waiters, you don't feel rushed, good food presentation.Special Features:
- Taste TreatREBELMOMDined on 5/6/2014Never miss an opportunity to eat at City Café when I am in Dallas and I have never been disappointed. Karim is a delightful host - his recommendation of a new cabernet sauvignon was delightful. I was having lunch with a friend who got lost and he was so helpful giving her directions. Our salmon was perfect - as always and the service was spot on. I have never had a disappointing meal at City Café.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- City Cafe Never DisappointsBarryVIPDined on 4/29/2014It's been a while, but I always enjoy dining at this charming and unassuming restaurant. Both the food and service were outstanding. I plan to return soon and include as a regular stop on my restaurant rotation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable diningouttodinnerDined on 4/16/2014Upon arrival found friends just beginning their dinner. We asked if we could all be seated together and the wait staff happily moved everyone to a larger table. Service was attentive, as usual. Dinner was delicious. We enjoyed the quiet surroundings providing us the ability to actually visit with each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Dallas' best restaurants.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/15/2014Good food, wine list, good service and refined ambiance. Kareem runs a fine establishment.Special Features:
- Regular Customersdgh1958VIPDined on 4/13/2014We enjoy brunch at City Cafe nearly every Saturday, and we have never been disappointed. Excellent food is always cooked to perfection. Service is always friendly, dependable, attentive yet professional. We LOVE City Cafe.Special Features:
- Our Favorite local restaurantPatzmarVIPDined on 4/12/2014This is our favorite place for an exceptional meal. We like to take friends & guests too. It is not loud so you can enjoy your wonderful meal and visit comfortably. The staff is amazing.. Very attentive & they enjoy telling you about the food and specials of the day. Wine list is great too, and staff is familiar with the wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family gatheringanniversary35Dined on 4/5/2014My family all flew in from all over to see my son in a Play production. We met for dinner before the show. There were 10 in our party, some showed up a little late, and we only had 1 hour. I let them know of our situation, and they expedited everything, drinks, apps, dinner all in our time frame and it did not seemed rushed. The food was excellent, and the staff the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Old & New-World GemSkidmores4Dined on 3/29/2014A family favorite for two generations. Love this little gem and you will too. Incredible food (thank you Chefs), friendly host and wait-staff, great menu, quiet atmosphere and everyting about this great spot. We encourage others to visit soon. You will love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- L'Ancdestral MemoriesVALLAWVIPDined on 3/25/2014SO happy to see many former L'Ancestral waitstaff and DINERS enjoying City Cafe. As ever, the food is wonderful.Special Features:
- week nightsaucyDined on 3/18/2014Went with friends from our building. We never had been there but they have many times. They like the quietness. Swordfish was described as a steak, it was not. More of a filet but very good. Pork chop Milanese, too thick and dried out. Salads, bread and sides very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.