Citrus @ Hotel Valencia Riverwalk
150 East Houston St.
San Antonio, TX 78205Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Citrus @ Hotel Valencia Riverwalk
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.hotelvalencia-riverwalk.com/dining/citrus.php
- Phone: (210) 230-8412
- Hours of Operation:
6:30 am - 11:00 am, breakfast
Closed for lunch and dinner
Monday - Friday:
6:30 am - 10:30 am, breakfast
11:00 am - 2:00 pm, lunch with buffet opening at 11:30am
6:00 pm - 10:00 pm, dinner
6:30 am - 12:00 pm, breakfast
12:00 pm - 2:00 pm, lunch
6:00 pm - 10:00 pm, dinner
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Robbie Nowlin
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Citrus restaurant and terrace serving breakfast, lunch and dinner overlooking the River Walk can accommodate small and large parties, for day or evening events. The Hotel Valencia also offers the hip Vbar for an unforgettable event.
- Private Party Contact: Ivan Rios 2102308451x
- Special Events: We have the capacity to do "buy outs" and parties ranging from 12 people to 25 people. Please call for availability and pricing.
A word from Citrus @ Hotel Valencia Riverwalk
Citrus features an innovative New American menu in a dramatic setting along the River Walk. Citrus has developed an ever-changing menu that takes the finest ingredients available and prepares them in elegant, imaginative ways. Citrus seeks out Texas-based game and seafood along with locally grown produce, and combines these with ingredients from around the globe. Located in downtown San Antonio’s theater district only footsteps from the Majestic and Empire Theatres, Citrus is the ideal place to begin an evening on the town. Theater-goers can take advantage of Citrus close proximity to the theater. Stop by often — the menu is continuously updated to reflect the freshest ingredients in season.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Citrus @ Hotel Valencia Riverwalk reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (13)romantic (11)special occasion (9)notable wine list (7)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (4)good for groups (3)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)neighborhood gem (2)late-night find (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Food not disappointing, service needs workPhillipVIPDined on 11/22/2014The menu is great and the kitchen executed perfectly down to the perfectly charred focaccia bread served with the heirloom tomato salad. Come for the food but don't expect much from the front staff. They were understaffed. After the entre was served, 1) we asked the waitress for some addl focaccia which didn't arrive until we asked a 2nd time, 2) waitress didn't come again; the host stopped to ask how things were going so we asked for a 2nd glass of wine which never arrived, 3) went without water for 15 minutes with no one even bothering to look at our table; I was not in the mood to go to the kitchen myself which I've been known to do to make a point. To their credit, I mentioned all of this to the manager (who was also serving that night), and he discounted the bill, although not before explaining why they were having so many issues and saying "I know I didn't have to do that but ...". Hmm. The problem with this place is not the chef, menu, kitchen staff, or even the wait staff which was just overloaded. Owner: please work with or find a different manager and take your restaurant to the same level as the food.Special Features:
- beautiful!MelchorDined on 11/13/2014Citrus was amazing! Had our anniversary and it was very romantic and just what you would want for a night out. They even surprised us with 4 red roses on our table for our 4th anniversary, so that was a thoughtful touch that we really appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is in a boutique hotelGlutenfreedinerVIPDined on 11/7/2014We started out in the bar and had the tuna tartare and it was wonderful. Our dinner was very good, served at a slow pace so we could enjoy. The wine list was interesting and our server helped us get a wonderful bottle that we had not heard of before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chef changeEliceDined on 11/7/2014We have been going to citrus before majestic shows for many years. This time I noticed that I could not find the menu online beforehand and when we got there the menu has changed dramatically. The crab cakes that I had once looked forward to having were no longer there. I ordered the hydroponic salad which was good except for the underlying hint of chili powder. For my entree I ordered the duck and it has so much salt that I could feel myself expanding as I sat. A couple of bites had a strong vinegar taste as if they had drizzled vinegar over the entree. I was very disappointed in the overall dinner and will be looking for another place to patron for our future shows.
- Amazing!BethDined on 11/4/2014This was a great dinner location for a upscale girls night out! Great wine list, awesome gourmet/eclectic menu and wonderful service! This is a great place to eat before a show at the Majestic!Special Features:
- Disappointing eveningnancyjDined on 10/18/2014We were in San Antonio for our first time and also celebrating my husband's birthday. I wanted a special meal and had requested sitting on the patio for a romantic dinner. We were seated inside in a practically empty restaurant. The service was sketchy at best and we waited quite awhile for our food. My husband's lobster was a very very small portion and my chicken was tasteless. All together a very disappointing event.Special Features:
- luv2dineluv2dineDined on 10/10/2014Great food and Ambience! Tip to the waiters...never judge a book by its cover. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- aliciaDined on 9/9/2014Wonderful Buffet.. Mentioned my girlfriends birthday .. and at the end of lunch they presented us with a birthday cake that said happy birthday.. LovelySpecial Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceKtmagnusonDined on 8/27/2014My husband and I traveled to San Antonio to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We chose Citrus as they used a lot of local ingredients and that the restaurant had a very nice ambience. This meal did not disappoint. We opted for the chef's sampling and enjoyed all of the fresh dishes available. The service was impeccable and there is a really pretty view of the river walk on the terrace outside. Our server (Nick) went above and beyond- even offering us each a complimentary glass of Champagne. We highly recommend Citrus and can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not good!lovetoeattttDined on 8/16/2014there are sardines in caesar salad! who does that? everything on the menu is aged duck and similar things to that. i personally had to ask for a steak. for 2 people a meal was $170! thats outrages! the food had strange flavors that my companion and i did not enjoy.
- Started off salty, ended sweet!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014My dining experience here started off poorly. I ordered a salad and it came out as a bowl of salt tossed with egg, tomato, and greens. Mostly salt though. Absolutely awful. My husband stomached it instead of sending it back. It seriously dehydrated him. He ordered the veal and I got the poached lobster. The lobster was excellent, as was the veal. We got the berries and cream for dessert and the chocolate ganache dessert (don't remember what it's called). I don't care for chocolate, but my daughter and husband devoured it. Berries and cream was excellent, a little heavy on the figs, but overall wonderful. Quite pricey - but I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 483 reviews are from the Citrus @ Hotel Valencia Riverwalk reviews archive.
- AnniversaryfredborstadDined on 6/29/2014We stayed in a local hotel in celebration of our anniversary. For brunch we went to citrus and had the buffet. Very good and good choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely venue for dinner..........SESEDined on 6/26/2014We dined at the Citrus before heading off to the Majestic for a play. The wait staff was timely and accomodating, ensuring we made the play on time, and the food and wine was enjoyable. Definitely a place to come back to. A plus was the valet service which was free with dinner and we were able to leave the car there and walk to the Majestic -- great extra value!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another awesome dinner!NavyDocDined on 5/16/2014We dined before the symphony and were, once again, blown away! Our starters (salad and fried pickles) were very tasty, but only a prelude to the amazing snapper and scallop entrees we relished. The Argentine Malbec off the extensive and varied wine list was an excellent complement. Andrea, our wonderful and attentive server, helped to make for a thoroughly enjoyable repast. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- From not pleasant to very pleasantBillDined on 5/3/2014Our previous visit to the Citrus wasn't an overall good experience. This night out was everything we expected. Nice quiet atmosphere, very friendly staff and terrific food. Everything was served in a timely manner and the food, red snapper for me, crap cakes for my wife and sister in law was wonderful. We relaxed, enjoyed our wine and made the theater early. My compliments To Ivan and his staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Before the TheaterrmgvDined on 5/3/2014When you allow plenty of time, this is is great place to dine before attending the Majestic. The food is always exceptional and the service is attentive. There is always something on the menu that is new and everything is well prepared and tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening outArt2familyDined on 4/23/2014We enjoyed the delicious meal with great service in peaceful surroundings.Special Features:
- Easter BrunchbreakfastloversDined on 4/20/2014Best breakfast my college daughter ever had, she said! Huevos Rancheros outstanding! Thank you for a wonderful dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good, Good, and not so GoodBillDined on 3/29/2014We arrived at the Citrus at 6:30. We told the waitress that we were going to the theater. We ordered 15 minutes after arriving and 45 minutes later we were served. That's the not so good. 2 of the 3 dishes were wonderful, the crab cake and pork. My dish of chicken was over cooked but tasty. That's the very good (not the chicken). The restaurant is very nice with a very nice atmosphere. One problem was the door leading outside to the patio. Every time the door opened a glare came in causing us to turn away until the door closed. The manager gave us a gratis glass of wine for the tardiness of our meal. That was good. We plan to re-visit the Citrus because we did enjoy the restaurant, the food, the atmosphere and the location.Special Features:
- citrus service a lemongrumpyDined on 3/19/2014Lovely balcony table overlooking Riverwalk. Sophisticxated menu and great prep and presentation. Service was atrocious. Server was completely wine ignorant (ok) inexperienced (ok) inattentive, screwed up orders and was defensive (not ok). It has been some time since I have received slower service.Special Features:
- New lunch menu disappointing.MaryJaneDined on 3/18/2014Previously Citrus offered a "made to order" paella and pasta bar and a nice a la carte menu. Today there was pre-made paella on a buffet and no longer included the fresh mussels or an array of ingredients. A couple of hot proteins had been added, baked chicken and ham. The ordering menu was reduced to a few starters and desserts. In short, we felt the change was disappointing and uninspired and hope the restaurant re-evaluates this decision.Special Features:
- Unusual (but very good) foodJohnDined on 3/15/2014Enjoyed a quiet dinner before a show on Saturday evening. Food was very good and prepared uniquely. Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/10/2014Great experience and great food. We had a very good time and would return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceJonJDined on 3/7/2014I was very surprised how poor the service was at citrus. My first drink order took about 15 minutes to arrive and it took about an hour for our food to, with no apology from the waitress by the way. Secondly the menu was extremely limited. Why does food take an hour to make when they only have 5 or 6 menu items??? The food was also mediocre. It wasn't bad but if your expecting something great go somewhere else.
- Great BrunchFoodyDined on 2/16/2014Great brunch and a great waitress. She had me when she brought my cream for my coffee warmed. It is so nice when your waitress go that extra mile to make your dining experience memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014The menu for Valentine's Day was a special limited 5-course meal. Our meal was brought out of sequence, with the amuse busche coming after the soup/salad course. If I had not asked about it, we would have never received it at all. The salad and dessert were outstanding. My entree was lukewarm when I received it, and it tasted okay. Service was adequate, but not up to the standard of the 20% gratuity that was added to the check automatically. Overall, I have had much better experiences at this restaurant in the past. I know that Citrus is normally better than what I experienced at this meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome valentines dinnerHoosjimDined on 2/14/2014We had an amazing experience. The menu and wine pairing were perfect for our special night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Citrus sentimentsMarmarDined on 2/13/2014Had stayed at this hotel before and love the ambience. Thought that this restaurant would have the same vibe. Had a 6 reservation the day before Valentine's. There was no one there. Some tables were not set up. Menu selections were OK. Service was ok. Food was ok. Not worth the excessive price.Special Features:
- the waitress was hopelessbjt602Dined on 2/8/2014the waitress was hopeless - left one person at the table without food for 15 mins after everyone else had started. Food very good tho- but slow
- Boring menu and poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/4/2014I would not recommend Citrus to anyone. Limited menu, no chefs specials, and non existent waitress. We arrived promptly at 6pm when they opened and waited for 42 minutes for our food. Seriously?
- This restaurant is more suitedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/24/2013This restaurant is more suited the those who enjoy nouveau cuisine. The service is excellent and prompt but the flavors presented were just not what we were looking for.Special Features:
- more choicesVictorDined on 12/21/2013The menu is confusing. The choices are very limited. The dishes were spicy hot and my lady guest could not eat the dish. The women usually like good light dishes that are healthy and eatable. Men want a variety that has more gusto than a crab patty, scallops or a salad. Coffee was good. service was above average. 5 star restaurants need 5 star menus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Christmas DiningTessakaMrsGDined on 12/12/2013My husband and I planned an evening downtown during the Christmas season to enjoy all the lights decorating the city this time of year. Citris for dinner was a perfect choice for dinner. With it's somewhat exotic menu and quiet ambiance we were thoroughly charmed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecommendedGetawayCoupleDined on 11/29/2013Citrus was recommended to us and although the food was good, service was great, and great environment to match.... It was overpriced. I found the food to be different and interesting with unique ingredients used, but it didn't quite equate to something I wanted to try again. Dish after dish, however, they all started to blend together and had similar flavors. If you have plenty of wallet and want a fancy pricey cuisine, you'll like this place. Drinks were good too. I had the sampler and my wife had the crab cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, nice outdoor patioSingingKate88Dined on 11/20/2013Delicious food, lovely presentation, quiet ambience, with low rumble of patrons on the patio of a restaurant below and 50m away. Good service - just the right amount of attentiveness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/14/2013When I booked we had looked at the web site and saw a choice of a 3 or 4 course pre fixe menu. The menu choices looked really great. HOWEVER when we arrived, we found only a 4 course pre fixe or choose off the menu which was nothing like what we had originally viewed. Turns out a new chief very recently and the web site would not be updated until maybe the first of December. The food was good but not a real exciting menu.
- Delicious!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2013I was really looking for a place that everyone would like when I found Citrus on a food reviews website. Most of the reviews were positive so I decided to book brunch reservations. This place was fantastic!! They offered a breakfast buffet as well as menu items. I had the chicken and waffles and they tasted perfect! The price was also well moderated and not too pricey! We sat outside on the patio overlooking the riverwalk while we ate. I wish I could have this experience every morning!! Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedFoodfreakDined on 11/8/2013Second visit. First was impeccable food and excited about our return. New chef and menu. Food was mediocre and pricey. Returned for breakfast, and it was worse. I would not return.
- 2nd time not so goodves1000Dined on 10/26/2013It seems like they change their menu often, it's normally around $120 for 2 people. It's good food but not too much food is worth $120 unless it's outstanding. The first trip to Citrus, it was outstanding, this time not so much. Very small portions. We paid $12 for Ceviche, which came out on 4 tiny chips. We assumed it was going to be a bowl of Ceviche with chips.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CitrustheatregalsDined on 10/24/2013Delightful dining experience on the Riverwalk. Excellent presentations. Fish and steak cooked perfectly. Wait staff very attentive. Complementary valet parking and just a few doors from the Majestic Theater made our evening of Broadway wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.