Cities Restaurant & Lounge
919 19th Street NW
Washington, DC 20006Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $30 and under
Cities Restaurant & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.citieswashington.com/
- Phone: 2023313232x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, International
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For Special Events or Private Dining contact Jennifer Mertz
A word from Cities Restaurant & Lounge
Cities atmosphere is warm, contemporary, modern and comfortable. The restaurant features a 50" (fifty) media wall, including 19 LCD screens featuring panoramic scenes of the "featured city" corresponding with the themed menu, which will change quarterly. Cities concept is to create a restaurant and lounge that showcases a menu from a featured cities along with perennial American classics in a relaxed modern atmosphere. The featured cities will change every 4 months, with the core of the menu being the American favorites. The interior is detailed with high gloss maple wood, glass enclosed wine display, persimmon colored banquettes and grey slate tabletops creating a comfortable atmosphere. A two-way bar bridges the lounge area and offers clear views to the dining room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cities Restaurant & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (14)great for outdoor dining (10)great for lunch (9)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (8)special occasion (6)late-night find (4)fit for foodies (4)neighborhood gem (3)romantic (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Decent but not greatMikeVIPDined on 10/6/2014I took a large group of business colleagues. A rare DC restaurant where you can have a conversation. Food was good, but I have had better at this restaurant. Not sure what was up. Service was very good, waiter very attentitve. Won't hold this one trip against them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and food equally poorfof4Dined on 9/12/2014Three of us ate there on Friday night. Despite eating early, after ordering we were told that they ran out of the 2 specials we ordered. Our replacement orders (NY strip steak) were just a little thicker than a minute steak. The server was pleasant whenever we flaggd him down but we always had to flag him down. Inattentive service at best even though the place was not packed.
- Excellent Food and ServiceLinnyDined on 8/20/2014The staff is outstanding; very friendly and customer service oriented. The food is very fresh and very good. Will come often.Special Features:
- Had a great mealwehopeDined on 8/19/2014I met a friend there for dinner. The dinning area is spacious, so unless someone is in the booth next to you, you probably won't hear any specific conversations. The food was good and if I was in the area again looking for dinner, it would be a contender.Special Features:
- Busy outsideBillmurrayDined on 7/22/2014Busy outdoors the whole time we were there prob because of happy hour. No one else inside during our whole meal. Chicken dish my wife had good my steak so soSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cities - one word ..... AMAZINGLuvDaNightlifeDined on 7/11/2014Had dinner at Cities and it was absolutely incredible. We got there about an hour early, sat in the outdoor lounge area and had drinks until our reservations. There were two of us but we ordered three Entree (Lobster Risoto, Rack of Lamb and File Mignon). What can I say we're foodies. Every food was just absolutely delicious. We finished our dinner with Tiramisu; which was also incredible. Anyways, we left and wanted to go bar hopping. Came back to Cities around 11:30pm and so glad we did. Very vibrant club/hang out scene. Music was incredible and we just absolutely had a ball.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible valueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014four shrimp, five asparagus spears and a scoop of mash potatoes for 22 clams is a terrible value! as are 4 buck seltzer waters. never again will it occur.
- Nice vibe, good food!RJsMomDined on 7/2/2014I visited Cities and wasn't sure what to expect. They have a really good ambiance for groups of friends or couples. The food and drinks were good and service was also good. I'll definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 187 reviews are from the Cities Restaurant & Lounge reviews archive.
- Had to wait a long time for serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/24/2014Was seated first in the smoking section without being told it was smoking. We'd already waited 15 minutes before someone came to serve us. Then, when reseated, it took another 15 minutes for someone to come to us to be served. When the wait staff finally did come, they were very friendly and warm. The food was a bit bland and small in portion sizes for the price.Special Features:
- Not so good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/20/2014It was World Cup lunch: Italy vs Costa Rica. Lot of people, joy, excellent ambience. But the service was not good. They last 20 minutes or more to bring the appetizer. The same for the entree and finally the bill. We ask for sparkling water and they were sold out.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch was very good.AnOccasionalManDined on 6/20/2014Party of three. It was during World Cup Soccer (on every screen) so at times is was loud but that is to be expected in any place with a television during important sporting events and there was the option of outdoor seating. Therefore, we have no complaints about the cheers from the suit and tie crowd who took a little extra time during the business week for fun during lunch. My guests had the Peking Duck and Shrimp flatbread (think small, very thin crust pizza style) and were pleased with the taste, portion and presentation. I had the grouper special sans the sides (salad substitute) and everything was perfect.Special Features:
- Nice plate to hang out downtowndms11VIPDined on 6/19/2014I work in the area of Penn and 20th St, as do many other folks. Cities is on 19th Street between K and I Streets and has plenty of outdoor seating, which is nice in the evening or if the weather is not too terrible. The wait staff is remarkably friendly (and attractive) and this is a good place to hang out with friends for a drink or for lunch/dinner. The menu is varied (with an international theme), and so far as I can tell, there are no wrong choices. The inside part of the restaurant is very dark...maybe a little too dark for lunch, which is why the outside or near outside seating may be preferable.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/11/2014The gentleman who took our order didn't pay attention to our request for an additional side order of fries (I had the mussels and fries, and a fellow diner asked for a side order of fries, which was not delivered until we reminded him, and even then he pointed at my order!). Two fellow diners who ordered the sangria thought the added liquer was a bit strong (i.e., heavy on the alcohol) so they didn't finish their drinks. Food was really good, but service was so-so, and it wasn't as if there was a huge lunch crowd line. We sat outside, but when the sunshine was a little too much, we asked for an umbrella, and the impression we got was that they ran out of umbrellas, so a fourth co-diner moved one over from an empty table.Special Features:
- great spot for happy hoursfastTraffikDined on 5/30/2014This place is perfect for going after work. However, I would not recommend it as a restaurant. The noise level can be sometimes way too high. It is not a place for quiet conversation. But perfect if you are looking to drink alcohol and talk with your friends or coworkers. The crab cakes are delicious and they are huge in size!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Impressed!hap2lunchDined on 5/30/2014There were three of us who went to lunch. This was the first time for two of us and the second for the other person who recommended it. We all agree that food was terrific and service was great. Plan to go again!Special Features:
- Good for a groupInfrequentDinerOuterDined on 5/29/2014Our office had a farewell lunch there. Our group of 7 was seated quickly and everything went smoothly. It was not as noisy as we thought it'd be. Food was delicious. Thank you.. We will be back.Special Features:
- Wolverine22306Dined on 5/29/2014I always have the southwestern flatbread which I really enjoy. This time I asked for a feta cheese topping which was especially tasty, however the dish is great without the cheese if you follow a vegetarian diet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for happy hourKEArionDined on 5/15/2014This is definitely a place for business people to grab drinks after work. There were lots of young professionals drinking there, and they all seemed to be having a good time. I myself went on a date, but I don't think Cities is great for dinner. The food was okay, not great, and the service was slow. So it's an okay place with a great location, but not my favorite.Special Features:
- Great serviceParkerVIPDined on 5/14/2014We were seated quickly. The server was friendly and knowledgable. An overall great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NateVIPDined on 5/13/2014Nice patio spot, but the food was thoroughly mediocre and the service was slow.
- Awful Service at Cities LoungeSC89Dined on 5/13/2014The waiter rarely stopped by our table - it took a half hour before we got an actual drink in our hands, and he didn't even ask if we wanted to order food, which we did- we had come for dinner hour. They didn't come around the side of the table to deliver the drinks - just handed them over people's heads across the table. Our table for four was SO close to another table, it was hard to have a conversation. They hadn't dropped off enough silverware and when I asked for another napkin and fork, it took 5 minutes before it arrived, after we reminded several people several times. I had to just stare at my food and not eat. The outdoor patio and sangria were lovely, and would have made for a nice outing, but the service was terrible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okayOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/13/2014I went with a group of 7 people to have a celebratory lunch. We ordered everything from flatbread to gyros to sushi...food was meh. This is more of a happy-hour (read: not food) place. I wasn't too surprised the food wasn't that greatSpecial Features:
- Always a great experienceZenaVIPDined on 5/2/2014Great food, friendly exceptional service. A consistent pleaser.Special Features:
- CitiesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/1/2014The flowers on the table were long dead and dropping. The banquette seat was ripped open. Only one faucet of three worked in the ladies room. The waiter was excellent.
- Only Going Back for HHajksoccerDined on 4/29/2014Food was ok, service was ok. Wouldn't go back for dinner but would like to go for their happy hour.
- Wide variety of menu selectionsHealthySueDined on 4/23/2014The menu featured items from many different countries -- each menu selection had a country flag denoting its origins. There were also vegan and gluten free and lactose free selections that were identified. For a group with different food preferences and food needs, this was a wonderful selection. Everyone enjoyed the food ordered. Plating presentation nice and wait staff also presented the food well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LinusCelloVIPDined on 4/17/2014Good service. Portion size for flatbread hearty. Portion size for entree special pretty small. Raspberry chocolate tart actually more of a brownie/cake.Special Features:
- 1st TimeVisitElegant1VIPDined on 4/16/2014It was a date night. The food was okay. Its very busy around 6:30 and the service was okay. The group performing was the Satin Doll Trio and they were fabulous! The noise level made it a little hard to hear the jazz group. We would go again for happy hour or a casual evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was only average at bestEnjoysFoodDined on 4/11/2014The outdoor seating was packed and lively with after work crowd, but we were seated inside. Pretty dead inside though it did fill up later in the evening. The inside had a more swanky feel to it, but my doubts were raised quickly when we had only ordered our two drinks and after waiting a good long time, the waiter had messed up my beer order (Fat Tire instead of a Stella....) seriously? that's not even something hard! We quickly placed an appetizer order because we were afraid it would be another long wait, which it was. The duck dumplings were tasty though. We ordered entres (Steak and Scallop dishes). When they arrived, the steak was overcooked and the scallops were a little rubbery. Then another loooong wait to get the check...
- Getting Better?AllieBVIPDined on 4/3/2014I've been to Cities quite a few times and have not been overly impressed on past visits. On this occasion, however, the food was very good, as was the wine. We were one of only two tables sitting outside so, for the most part, we had excellent service as there was little competition. I hope that I have such a positive experience on future visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for Small GatheringshsweethDined on 3/26/2014We decided to go to Cities Restaurant for a small gathering of friends. We were seated in the back section, away from the bar and noise of happy hour. We were told a band would be playing that evening and we were worried that it would be loud and we just wanted a quiet place to chat and catch up. The band was very good and not overwhelming at all. I thought the atmosphere was very nice- the back area has many large televisions, which they were showing a basketball game that evening but it wasn't intrusive-I'm not sure if they always have sporting events with the Televisions ...The food was really very good - the menu isn't overly large but there are plenty of selections to satisfy-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service....ok fooodmichaele19Dined on 3/20/2014I ate here for lunch today. Service was very good and the mood relaxed. Crabcake appetizer - not bad, but a bit on the salty side. Mac & cheese - bland. Not the worst I've ever had but certainly not the best. Sea bass entree - light w/ good flavor. The carrot and turnip puree accompanying the mashed potatoes was interesting and tasty. All in all, not bad but I probably wouldn't be returning for a meal.Special Features:
- Clueless for lunchlunchtimedinerDined on 3/13/2014Requested a table in a "warm spot" of the restaurant away from the windows and was taken to a table next to an outside door so when someone walked in, a gust of cold wind would come in as well. Selected another table near the center of the restaurant and thought the waiter would set it with silverware, etc. But no, since we were in a new section, the waiter 'forgot' to request/reset the table. The busboy eventually did we we showed him there wasn't silverware or plates for the bread. After all that, the food was ok, nothing special.Special Features:
- Mediocre at bestBacciVIPDined on 3/12/2014Cities was in a convenient location so I selected it. Staff was rushed food was sloppy and no flavor. Seafood special was very over cooked. Not going back.
- great experience!HopelesslyDevotedToHimDined on 2/28/2014I went to Cities because I had a living social deal for this place and I was very pleased with the food and the service. I would definitely go there again!Special Features:
- You have to have a "Love Potion"AngieDined on 2/20/2014A group of us met to say bye to a friend going to another position. Our initial reservation was for 6 people but it increased to 10 and Cities made it happen! A great night for everyone ... And the Love Potion ... You've got to try it!Special Features:
- Quality of food suprsisesMikeVIPDined on 1/9/2014I took a group of business colleagues. For some reason, they were suspect when I selected the restaurant. Everyone thought the food was outstanding. One of those rare DC restaurants where you can have an actual conversation. The lay out is nice. Has a pretty cool bar area but the restaurant seating is far enough away to not be disturbed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud, chaotic and really odd menuOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/12/2013I think the problem here is the concept - you can't really do so many different kinds of cuisine well. The idea is that there are dishes from different cities, which we thought would be good for a group with a variety of tastes. Turns out it means most dishes leave much to be desired. Although the vegans were happy. I'd just go for happy hour, the drinks are good and interesting and the lounge area is nice.
- Good food/live music, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/4/2013Overall okay experience. Group business dinner. Ordered cocktails and apps then dinner. Service was in attentive and very slow. We had to ask for everything and flag a server down at times. If this wasn't the case the dinner would have been fantastic because the food was good and atmosphere inviting. Not sure I will return since service was really sub par and they were NOT crowded!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good for groups early in theCat3333Dined on 11/19/2013good for groups early in the week - service was not great - confused and not very friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.