505 North Lake Shore Drive (Navy Pier)
Lake Point Towers
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.citechicago.com/
- Phone: 3126444050x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:30pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Oscar Ornelas
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Cite offers a unique venue for all types of private events. Wedding Events, Social Celebrations, Corporate Events.
Weekly fireworks on Wednesday and Saturday nights at Navy Pier
A word from Cite
For over 38 years, Cite has stood 70 stories high as a Chicago institution. The ultimate dining experience features savory menu selections, impeccable service, the romantic SkyLounge, private banquet room and breathtaking views of Chicago's skyline and lakefront.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Cite reviews from OpenTable diners
151 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (133)romantic (98)special occasion (90)notable wine list (50)fit for foodies (21)neighborhood gem (18)late-night find (12)hot spot (11)good for groups (9)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Time for a decor and menu overhaul!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014Let's talk about the views, they are truly spectacular and very romantic!! The decor and the menu falls short, plus our waiter was totally rude and abrupt the entire time!! The owners at Cite needs to take make some management changes and take note of the innovative menu's all around the city of Chicago, as they are miles behind their competitors. I would place Deca from the Ritz-Chicago and Cite on par, they both need major help in the menu and decor departments! At least Deca has great service! The service at we received at Cite was very inconsistent. The bus boy and hostess staff were friendly and professional, but our waiter was so rude, it was comical.Special Features:
- THIRD AND LAST TIMEAnneVIPDined on 9/17/2014Having looked forward to our dinner at Cite, we expected it to be a repeat of our dinner there a year ago. In spite of the great view and fairly good food, our evening was very disappointing. Our Mexican waiter spent most of his time at a table of Mexican diners, whom he apparently ranked above us. They, in addition to many others, did not follow the specified dress code and wore jeans and short sleeved shirts. Their attire was in contrast to that of our 8 and 13 year old grandsons, who wore coat and tie. After a 20 minute wait for deserts, we told the manager to cancel that order. He was more pathetic than the waiter. He seemed helpless in knowing what to do. HOWEVER, we do. We shall not return to Cite.
- UnforgetableOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/17/2014The music was perfect: Nat King Cole, Frank, Adele, Nora Jones... The view was breath taking. The service was great, though it was difficult to prepay for a special bottle of wine. Pork Chop is certainly #1 in the city for a reason.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid view, the food not greathampsteadcarrieDined on 9/16/2014The view truly is terrific, and our waiter was very good. I can't understand why the place doesn't invest in a very good chef; the food is mediocre and expensive. A shame.Special Features:
- Unbelievably rude waiterChicagoFoodieDined on 9/13/2014The experience was very nice overall, until we were turned over to a very rude waiter - Ootsi. I guess he was in a hurry leaving, when we said we were still working on our plates.. He said impatiently, "still not finished?" In a few minutes, he came back, without us asking for our check, he literally threw it on our table, "this is your check", as if he was driving us out of the restaurant, without a chance to talk to him, he went away. We told him, we are not ready to leave and have not asked for our check, plus we have a groupon to apply (which we told the restaurant at the time of reservation) He said, "you should have told us u have a groupon", and walked away, again in a rude manner. We sat there in disbelieve. We've never had this tySpecial Features:
- Cite exceeded expectations!SarahDined on 9/12/2014This was a great find. We'd read some mixed reviews and were prepared for poor service and ok food because we wanted that view, but what we got was quite the opposite. First, the view is exceptional no matter where you're sitting. This is reason enough to go. The menu had a little of everything. I had the duck and it was phenomenal. My husband has the ahi appetizer and wagyu steak. He said they were both great. We are both very accustomed to fine dining and this meal was excellent. The service was great. Our waiter was very attentive and the manager came around to check on us. They even provided some options for where to go after dinner. All in all a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Great Views, excellent for a special occasion with that special someoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/9/2014When we arrived the front person was on the phone with a tenant. It took five minutes before she acknowledge our presents and another party. She did apologize but I was surprised that this upscale restaurant was not staff with a maître d. I was a bit disappointed to find out that there was other seating available away from the bar. A group of professionals were seated at the bar drinking and loud conversation. On most nights, this would not be an issue, but I advised the restaurant that my husband and I were celebrating our 25th anniversary prior to arriving. The entrees were presented well and were delicious. The dessert menu had very heavy desserts. I would have like to see a fruit plate or a fruit tart. Overall, the evening was fair.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014This past Saturday we chose your establishment to enjoy an anniversary dinner. We arrived and were seated at a table with an awesome view directly across from the bar. We ordered a cocktail and then shortly made our selections. After soup and salad we ordered a second cocktail and asked for more bread and water, cocktails took over 10 minutes and no bread or water. The bar then became full with customers in shorts and jeans the bar was full and people standing. Once our mains came two young ladies arrived in shorts and obviously knew the staff because then, they were coming out of the woodwork! We still had no bread. Dessert arrived I asked for coffee, we were finished, no coffee. Ten minutes later the coffee came. It was cold!Special Features:
- Other reviews we right onTRock1Dined on 9/4/2014I read other reviews before my husband and I went for our 16th year anniversary and many were right on when they said...that the help was poor. They, or at least our waiter, was not very inviting at all, cold and basically only spoke to the men and again at least our waiter. The food was good but the view was very nice. GO for the veiw oh and the ceviche - it was awesome, very delicious.Special Features:
- CitejavicaponeDined on 9/3/2014Food was great. Hard to find entrance, srvce was great, had lamb and duck. Best duck I ever had....great night overallSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed this timeBoatingGirlDined on 9/3/2014We visit this restaurant three to four times a year for various special occasions but on this last visit my lobster wasn't enjoyable at all because it was so chewy that I had to cut it into very small pieces. Gotta say I've never experienced this before so I don't know if it was overcooked or just not a good piece. The sauce was bland and presented sparingly so I requested some butter to give it some flavor. I had been looking forward to ordering lobster so I was very disappointed. We mentioned this to the waiter but nothing every came of it. My husband felt bad for me so he shared his Filet Mignon with me. It was tender and cooked medium just the way we liked it. For the hefty price tag this meal wasn't worth it.Special Features:
- Very nice restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/2/2014Of course, the scenic view is incredible. Food is also high quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014This restaurant is high end with a reputation for view and romance. We arrived for our anniversary dinner to be seated at a table near an infant. I requested a table change and we were moved to a table near the kitchen and over the rooftop AC. So much for the view. What's with allowing infants? Also, there is no dress code, so customers arrived in shorts and tommy Bahama shirts. This was not what I expected from a high end restaurant. Service was slow from the waiter, although the bussing staff was good. I would not visit this restaurant again.Special Features:
- Excellent Chef's Tasting MenuAllelemanDined on 8/31/2014We went for the view, but were quite surprised by the very high quality of the food on the Chef's Tasting Menu and the wine list was also much better than expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So Romantic!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014Great food, amazing views, romantic setting! Very pricey though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a disappointmentMU2manDined on 8/28/2014I took a consultant to Cite for dinner. This was my first time dining there... it will also be my last. I booked the reservation online and asked for a window table... they seated us along the wall although there were plenty of tables available around the perimeter... "Sorry we forgot." So they up and move us. Then we wait... and wait and wait. The food was mediocre at best if that, but the tab was out of this world. One drink each, a moderately priced entree, one appetizer split, coffee, and one desert split... $250 with tip. This restaurant is "tired" along with the staff and the menu. But in all fairness to the restaurant, I blame myself because I chose to ignore the disappointing reviews and give it a try. Never again.Special Features:
- diner711Dined on 8/27/2014Excellent view. The Escargot Francois was really good as well as the Filet Mignon. Highly recommended place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Bestmrtorres09Dined on 8/23/2014Had the best time with my girlfriend great service and best view! Phenomenal Food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looks can be deceivingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014Actually. Just don't eat here. Period. For a good dining experience go to the signature room at the 95th floor of the Hancock center. Good service. Good food. Enough said.
- Amazing view and delicious foodMrGarroDined on 8/23/2014I had the duck with a side of buttered asparagus, which were perfectly cooked. The flavor was excellent and the view from the restaurant was amazing. I'm not a wine enthusiast, but I did notice they had a vast list of wines. No complaints on this restaurant. They validate your parking ticket (if you park in the building, that is) for $12.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect NightLiseannVIPDined on 8/23/2014It was our first night in town from LA, we had the perfect experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ExperianceserviceisterriblehereDined on 8/22/2014Ok OpenTable review length is terrible to give the full experience as to how bad this visit was. In short arrived early, seated by the wall, asked to move to the window, long wait, only asked about wine to drink, asked about where he wrote down what we said and didn't ask about appetizers or sides with the meal and was prompt to leave the table. It was very very loud in there where I couldn't even hear across the 2 person table let alone get the attention of the waiter as he walked away. Quality of my steak was terrible. Cooked medium, dry like overly well done, ordered as medium-well...no flavor and gristle throughout making it inedible. If you go here simple go to have a drink at the bar and see the view and then proceed elsewhere.Special Features:
- High expectations, poor experienceChitowntouristDined on 8/22/2014We booked this based on a website that recommended restaurants with a view. We arrived 10 min prior to reservation and were seated right away. The view was pretty but that's where the positives stopped. It took a long time to get water or even place our order. One of the cocktails ordered was so sour it was undrinkable. When we asked the waiter about it he just took it away and didn't ask/offer to replace it. Come to find out he took it before the bartender could finish it. Our food took 1 1/2 hour to be servered and during the wait they brought bread and when we asked for butter they said they were out! The food was lack luster and not worth the price. These combined experiences made the dinner very disappointing. Do not waste your money!Special Features:
- Total flopfoodieonarampageDined on 8/22/2014Sure the view is good, but the food just is usually the worst you'll ever have. The petite steak Diane and my boyfriend's duck was good, but it stops there. There pomme gratin was absolutely disgusting and tasted like eating a Clove of garlic. It was objectively not good, and just incredibly too strong. I had the Amish chicken and it was literally the most disgusting thing I've had in my life. I don't know what they did to my piece of chicken but after the first bite, the rest of it tasted horrendous like permanent markers. I just spit it out and it was so bad it brought me to tears. The service was sub par, and our waiter didn't come to check in after we started the meal so I couldn't complain earlier. Overall $125 wasted.Special Features:
- Special Occasion ExperienceTonkDined on 8/19/2014We celebrated our 47th wedding anniversary at a table by the window with a spectacular view of the city and lakeshore. The service was attentive and included some little specials like a cucumber and shrimp taste complements of the chef. The salads were fresh and unique. My wife had the scallops and corn relish which was very good and I had a large portion of duck breast and leg in a delightful sauce. Although we didn't have room for dessert, we did get a complementary small glass of dessert wine for our anniversary celebration. Great place to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a Dinner DateCKL1Dined on 8/19/2014My wife & I celebrated our 19th wedding anniversary on 8/19/14 at Cite. The service was very attentive and the food was awesome. The price was what I expected for a high end restaurant. Thank you Cite for the "Happy 19th Anniversary" menu, my wife is going to frame it. We look forward to returning in the near future.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the priceKatMonDined on 8/17/2014This was our second time doing a buffet meal at Cite. The first was last year's Thanksgiving buffet which was quite good. That was why we decided to do the buffet again this past Sunday. The food was mediocre at best. Certainly not worth the $68/per person. We left feeling very disappointed.
- shortyDined on 8/17/2014Food and service was wonderful. Don't know about the view as it was cloudy and you couldn't see anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightLakeviewDined on 8/16/2014My only critique is that the parking valet service is rude and Citi should do a better job of directions on how to validate the parking ticket.Special Features:
- Good view and food. Bad serviceAnonymousDined on 8/15/2014My girlfriend and I went to Cite for a romantic dinner while visiting Chicago. The food was great and views spectacular, it was very romantic and a great view of the lake & city. However, our waiter was subpar. He was disengaged, couldn't remember our order, he had to come back to the table and ask again what we ordered while looking away the whole time. It took about 20-25 mins from when we sat down before we received our drink, and he never acknowledged my girlfriends presence, never spoke to her or asked if she enjoyed her meal. I enjoyed the restaurant and meal but hopefully the wait staff improves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceJalexaDined on 8/9/2014Parking is difficult on a weekend summer night with it being so close to Navy Pier. Food is tasty and drinks are well done. Very pricey but would definitely recommend over the Signature Room because it is off the beaten path. One note though, if you plan to have a romantic evening with the fireworks option (view), don't bother. People swarm that side of the restaurant when the show starts, so you won't be able to see and enjoy peacefully from your table. A poor elderly woman, with a cane no less, and her party were visibly uncomfortable with all the onlookers surrounding their table. However, despite this, I must state that the restaurant did honor my reservation request of the firework view. Overall a good late night experience though...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful dining experience.FoodReviewDined on 8/9/2014This was the the fourth or fifth time I have been to the restaurant. The first time I was there the pompous hostess said audibly, "No, they don't get that table." I get it that it is a nice place and we were younger looking compared to the other people dining in, but they could be more professional. Oh, and the fact that they offer coupons on Groupon constantly should probably take them down a few levels. Anyways, this particular night on a crowded Saturday had kids running and screaming throughout the restaurant. A group of old people had a dog in a bag and the dog was parking throughout dinner. Once again, not a seeing eye dog, some little thing in a bag that would not stop barking. Food was way below average and the waiter sucked.
- Nothing but a viewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014The view is very good. Otherwise the experience was not good. The could not cook the steaks correctly teice, although we just ate then the sevond time. Wevreturned the sides with the over cooked steaks thinking they would be hot (new). Instead they just set them on the side. To their credit, they did remove these items from the bill. Apparently a relative of the owner wsd dining therecat the same time. So we listened to their small dog bark for throughout dinner.
- Unremarkable!ChicagolandVIPDined on 8/8/2014When we arrived for our dinner they attempted to sit us at two bad tables even though the place was 3/4 empty on a Friday evening. Even though we were well dressed they wanted us to sit next to the waiter station. The service was a little slow but adequate and the views were very nice. After spending almost $200 on dinner for two, I attempted to order bananas foster for one. I was shocked to be told that they only do it for two due to ingredients. We have been to numerous 5 star restaurants with the similar stipulations on the menu but this is the first time we have been refused the desert. Bad form on the part of this restaurant. This place is now off our list of restaurants in Chicago!Special Features:
- Too cold!ChicagophilDined on 8/8/2014We were a party of 6 all dressed up nicely, girls in very light cocktail dresses. The AC was set so cold that all of the girls were freezing cold and really did not enjoy the evening - which was too bad. After asking more than once to take the AC down a little bit or to at least bring some additional blankets one of the waiters (not the one who was our official waiter) brought us a table cloth for the legs. Our neighbor table was also freezing. Especially if you look at the price range you'd expect everyone to be supersatisfied. This, unfortunately was not the case. I had hoped to make this night an unforgettable one - didn't happen. Or at least not the way I had planned it.Special Features:
- PERFECT!anetkaskarpetkaDined on 8/6/2014We specifically chose Wednesday night to see the fireworks at Navy Pier and it was spectacular. The views were amazing, although we never would come back for our food (weve had better for cheaper) we thought the price was fair for the atmosphere and scenery we were getting. It was a beautiful night and the staff went above and beyond, we cant praise them enough. Truly a night to remember. Thank you Cite for a wonderful evening we definitely enjoyed it!Special Features:
- Don't waste your money or timemrs3mDined on 8/6/2014We went on fireworks night off the navy pier at 9:30.We made reservations for 8:30.They sat us next to the kitchen door where we had a great view of the city, but none of the lake/fireworks.It is the worst in the restaurant and shouldn't be offered at all.Not to mention we had no view of the fireworks.There were plenty of open tables on the pier side. Someone was upset in the kitchen and lots of dishes were breaking and pots being thrown, etc.There was a old drunken man who was sitting at the table behind us.He bothered EVERYONE who walked by-especially the staff--he should have been escorted out.I believe the restaurant is greatly understaffed.Regardless, the food was great--chef really knows his business.Oh, and it was freezing cold.
- All it has to offer is the viewBinkDined on 8/6/2014Went here for my birthday dinner because I saw a groupon. Food was fine, perhaps a little cold. Tiny portions for ridiculously high prices. And the device was mediocre- they were was understaffed. The view is beautiful though! I would saw come for a drink and dessert to enjoy te view, but have dinner elsewhere.Special Features:
- One of Chicago's Finest!!Chicago12Dined on 8/6/2014The food, view, atmosphere, staff just stunning!! This is truly a hidden Chicago gem.Special Features: