Circus - NYC
132 East 61 Street
New York, NY 10065Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
BrazilianPrice: $31 to $50
Circus - NYC
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.circusrestaurante.com/
- Phone: 2122232965
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Tuesday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Wednesday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:30pm,
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Brazilian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Circus - NYC
Circus Restaurant has been serving fine Brazilian cuisine for over 17 years. While the menu stays true to their family's recipes, there is a sophistication to each dish.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Circus - NYC reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (23)fit for foodies (16)great for lunch (12)special occasion (9)good for groups (7)romantic (7)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)notable wine list (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Just okayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014We went with our Brazilian friend to have an authentic Brazilian meal. A few things weren't prepared the way she expected, and we thought the food wasn't anything special. Probably won't go back.
- SUPER BIRTHDAY LUNCHSashaVIPDined on 10/16/2014A wonderful place for an intimate and friendly gathering. The food is delicious, the service is excellent, and a great time was had by everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent but...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Excellent service, wonderful ambience. Drinks were amazing. But the food was inconsistent. Shrimp was superb, beef was a little dry, and steak was overcooked. Deserts were fantastic. Lunch for three @ $200. should have yielded a more consistent dining experience.Special Features:
- you're missing out on a great find!FruiPrandiumDined on 8/29/2014Took my colleague, who is Brazilian, for lunch. He chose the dishes and we both thoroughly enjoyed them. Tucked away off the corner of Lexington, this is a sparkling eatery that more people should know about. I imagine it would be great for after-work dining, when you can also have a few more caipirinhas(!) While attire is casual, it nonetheless feels rather elegant. A delicious menu and comforting experience this first time so I will be back--with more friends!Special Features:
- Our favorite Brazilian RestaurantReddevilsVIPDined on 8/20/2014If you want good Brazilian food, Circus will never disappoint. We love the food as well as all the paintings, cartoons, etc. related to "circus" on the walls. We were in Brazil in June for the World Cup and wanted to have Brazilian food again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for lunchNotafoodieDined on 8/19/2014This restaurant has great ambience. The food is also delicious.Special Features:
- Great Brazilian food!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/15/2014Best I've had in the city! Thanks for a little taste of home.Special Features:
- CIRCUS!!!!!!!!!DinerMcEaterVIPDined on 8/14/2014What a nice place tucked away on UES sidestreet - I had a great time, extremely friendly waitstaff - will be back soonSpecial Features:
- Restauart week gemcrumpetDined on 8/7/2014Went for restaurant week, the cuisine was excellent. The value was great and the service was out of this world. Everyone who go to Circus hopefully will have as good of time that my husband and I had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eatsBevyDined on 8/6/2014had lunch here with my daughter, it was restaurant week and the meal was great. clean plates. the serivice was very good and it was worth the money. decent portion for restaurant week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CircusTempoVIPDined on 8/5/2014REally enjoyed trying Brazilian food for the first time. Very nice atmosphere and excellent service.Special Features:
- Delightful find.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/2/2014This was my first time dining at Circus and what a delight it was. The atmosphere , service and food were excellent. It was my first time at a Brazilian restaurant and what a delicious experience it was. I've already recommended it to friends and family and I hope it will be around for a long time to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant dinnerCariocaNYCDined on 7/31/2014We took advantage of the New York Restaurant Week to visit this Brazilian gem and were pleasantly satisfied. I ordered the moqueca, which was just good, lacking a bit of the Brazilian taste I'm used to, but my wife enjoyed a lot the picanha. For dessert, the pudim was a notch better than the one my mom used to make (psst, don't tell her).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FlickerDined on 7/31/2014Very nice décor. Food, particularly bread and dessert were excellent. Circus theme was subtle but very inyeresting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingGigi130Dined on 7/19/2014My uncle recommended Circus for me and my friends. The food was delicious and the signature drinks were amazing. It's a hidden gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decor is lovely and food is superbCeeBeeDined on 7/12/2014We were a party of seven with very different tastes. Everyone enjoyed the shared appetizers and the varied and unusual entrées. I did not know what to expect of a Brazilian restaurant with a circus theme and I was concerned it would be loud and gaudy but that is not so. The decor is lovely and the food is superb. I highly recommend this restaurant if you are looking for something that stands out from the ordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly Brazilianfabio1974Dined on 7/4/2014If you are one of thousand Brazilians in NYC and is missing our home cuisine, do not hesitate to visit Circus. It is a Brazilian Dinner without overcharacterization. Imagine a good and fair restaurant in Jardins or Leblon. That's it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 165 reviews are from the Circus - NYC reviews archive.
- Brazilian SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2014this is the first time I tried Brazilian food, AWESOME!! I loved everything about it, they have this specialized Brazilian drink with a nice kick to it as well. overall I would come back in a heart beatSpecial Features:
- Good food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014This place is awesome for groups. Had a ladies dinner and we got pretty loud (too many drinks perhaps). No one complained which was fabulous. We had lots of fun and truly enjoyed the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Dinner at a great place!TonyDined on 5/22/2014I am from Ohio going to “The City” for a special occasion. I did a lot of research for a restaurant in NYC not too far from Carnegie Hall and settled for Circus and I am glad I did. Circus is extremely cozy with a warm and "homey" feel to it. The manager and host were amazingly friendly and accommodating (they even brought a dessert, free of charge, and sang to The Graduate at the end of the dinner); service was outstanding and the food was truly amazing. The Calamari and Pastels were extremely tasty appetizers; All main courses (9 total) were delicious, the Acebolado (Seared Strip Steak Medallions with Onions); Churrasco; Feijoada - Brazilian National dish and the the Salmon. If in NYC will definitely go back, want to try the entire menu!Special Features:
- Great venue good foodBMo22Dined on 5/9/2014The atmosphere and service are excellent. The food is almost there just some seasoning issues. Both my girl friend and I felt the main part of our meals were under seasons while the sides were over seasoned. I my case it was a steak special with a risotto, hers was the salmon.
- Picture gallery2dineDined on 4/19/2014The food and service are outstanding but the picture gallery of the circus is just wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Brazilian foodDrescu05Dined on 4/17/2014If you want to try a Brazilian restaurant, but do not want to go to your typical CHURRASCARIAS, you should try this place. Finally a decent Brazilian restaurant, with great ambience and good food. The menu is very traditional and simple, but well made. The decor is nice without being overdone. The staff is very nice, especially the hoster and the water boys. Unfortunately our waitress was either new or really did not know what she was doing. A little arrogant, I must say. She never checked on our table. Thank God for the water boys! They took care of us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful BrazilianMericVIPDined on 4/12/2014Once ruffle food and nicely served in a warm and happy room..keep up the good work.Special Features:
- Always a treat. Friendly smilesOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 3/29/2014Always a treat. Friendly smiles and delicious food!Special Features:
- Not a good experienceLeticiaVIPDined on 3/29/2014The restaurant was smelling cleaning products so hard that we couldn't feel the food taste. And the famous cheese brazilian bread clearly was heated, it wasn't fresh. I am not planning to come back there
- Brazilian gemEdgarDined on 3/19/2014I've been there many times throughout the years and each time the food, the service, the ambiance make for a fantastic experience. My friends from Rio approved!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brazil in NYOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/18/2014Very warm and welcoming. The evening we were there, there was live music too. Service was friendly and knowledgable. Food was authentic - all agreed the meal was delicious, served piping hot with plentiful portions.Special Features:
- Restaurant week lunchsrm1VIPDined on 3/6/2014Met friends at this place for lunch for restaurant week. The best thing on the fixed price menu was the fried calamari and zucchini. The fish with okra was very salty and disappointing. The desserts were OK. The service was OK. Not the best experience.
- Unexpected SurprisebobbyjohnVIPDined on 3/1/2014We selected this restaurant because of its proximity to a theater. We had minimal expectations. It's sort of hidden away with a simple entrance; it's not very big. The staff was professional. The cadillac margarita was among the best I've had around the United States. Every food item we ordered was cooked to perfection and flavorful. I can't wait to go back. It's a little pricey, but worth it. The calamari was like eating fresh fish with tasty, light bread crumb - not the chewy, greasy breaded stuff you get most other places. The black bean soup was not heavy, the herbs and spices again had a crisp, freshness. The pastel were fresh and you can get a selection. I had the Feijoada; again, it was fresh and flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodLolenDined on 2/25/2014I went here for restaurant week, and the choices and size of the dishes were amazing... prob one of the best restaurant week menus I ever had..... LOVE it.................and we had a bonus a band playing was beautiful.... my boyfriend and I were STUFFED when we left.... Try the Brazilian Sausage - amazing- the flan- amazing ............Special Features:
- Lovely Birthday PartyJohnnyDined on 2/21/2014Our group of friends, six of us together, go out to celebrate our birthdays usually at a steakhouse but this option was a lovely substitute. I thought that the seating at the restaurant is ample to provide my group with a level of privacy that isn't usually afforded at the other places we've been but didn't leave us out of the action. The servers were friendly, and ready with suggestions. They were also very courteous and attentive, clearing the table promptly after meals were finished to make room for the next course. Closing at the restaurant is listed at 11:30p but we never felt rushed out even though our dinner got a late start due to typical subway shenanigans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was pretty decent. TheJulietta25Dined on 2/21/2014Food was pretty decent. The service was not as pleasant. Some of the staff seemed nice but our particular waiter was rude and the whole time we were there we felt like he was looking down on us.Special Features:
- Great food and nice back room spaceCassandraResearchDined on 2/20/2014Really enjoyed my experience at Circus! Vasco (not sure if I'm spelling his name right), was very accommodating when I asked for a 20 people group- last minute reservation, and had the back room set up as soon as we walked in, taking our coats, and making sure we were comfortable. The food was delicious, the steak to die for, and the coconut flan is by far the best dessert I've ever tasted. Make sure to check this place out! We went on a Thursday and it was quiet to start but by 9:00pm it was crowded with great people!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodJudithDined on 2/14/2014Went here for Valentines day had a reservation and it was right on the dot with timing. The food and drinks where verygood the ambience was very welcoming and so was the staffSpecial Features:
- Great experience, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014We went here for Valentine's Day... the service was excellent, the bartender was outstanding, and the food was heavenly. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentExcellentVIPDined on 1/18/2014Brought some family and friends - all was delicious. Just one disappointment in that my favorite item was no longer on the menu. Waitress wasn't familiar with the dish or I would have asked if chef could have made it since it was there for years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood, tough steakNYCGourmandVIPDined on 12/28/2013Not surprisingly for an upscale neighborhood, the service and atmosphere were exemplary. With a party of 3, it's very easy to go through 6 caipirinhas, the Brazilian cocktail of choice. You've just added $82 to your bill including tax and tip, naturally, because we all have to pay tax and tip so prices should never exclude them. The salads and moqueca (shrimp-based fish stew) were filling and delicious; the steak special, supposedly picanha (the favorite Brazilian steak option) which it wasn't (!!) but what it was, was tough and tasteless. Why a classy restaurant would misrepresent the meat as something it wasn't is beyond me. I've had picanha often and the kitchen did not send this out. Not a smart stunt to pull with a $202 tab!Special Features:
- Christmas eve menuBenjiDined on 12/24/2013The service was excellent. I decided to take prix fix menu, but even though the food was excellent the portion of the steak was to small, they served it with corn. It should have been seved with potatoes or vegetables.
- Hit or miss ...it depends...OonaghDined on 11/14/2013The wait staff were great and very friendly. The host/manager was very rude. The food was mixed bag - some dishes were wonderful - the salmon was great but the chicken was not very good. Unfortunately for him the 'birthday boy' in our party ordered the chicken - he described it as 'edible'!I would recommend this to a friend.