Circles Restaurant - 2nd Street
812 N. 2nd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19123Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
Circles Restaurant - 2nd Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://circlesthai.com/
- Phone: 2676871309x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 7:00am - 3:00pm
Tuesday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm
Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Thai
- Executive Chef: Alex Boonphaya
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Cafe, Delivery, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: Full menu al carte cater with full service and kitchen staff to cater to your needs; Also available buffet style without service staff
A word from Circles Restaurant - 2nd Street
Come in and join us at Circles to experience the true taste of Thailand and Southeast Asian influenced dishes as wellContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Circles Restaurant - 2nd Street reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (12)fit for foodies (9)good for groups (4)romantic (4)special occasion (3)great for lunch (3)hot spot (1)Show More
- Delicious, attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/21/2014The place is tiny, but that's okay, it limited sound. Many take outs, so it's definitely a popular spot. We arrived for dinner on a Sunday. Most of the seating is welcomed for 2 people, but tables can be put together. There was a small, real, candle lit on each table. Service was attentive and fast. We made reservations (which weren't necessary, but I could see the place getting packed), and we ordered appetizers, an entree, and dessert and were done in less than an hour. All of the food was amazing. Some people complained about portion size, but when I go to a restaurant, I usually want to go all out, so if you just order an entree, sure it may be small. But all the flavor is packed into each dish and was absolutely amazing.Special Features:
- Great BYOBdana226Dined on 9/20/2014We absolutely loved Circles. We made a reservation for Sat night and were seated right away and did not have to wait. The service was quick and we had our appetizer within minutes of ordering. We had the papaya salad, pineapple fried rice and green curry. Everything was excellent and the prices were so reasonable. This is a perfect place to BYOB. I will definitely be returning very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and delightful!JessicaDined on 9/11/2014The name of the review says it all! Excellent food, excellent service and relaxing ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but not outstandingLarInPhillyDined on 8/2/2014We had the summer rolls -- large, a bit dry, not especially a taste to them; I like some cilantro in them. We had the papaya salad -- hmmm. Ok. We had the Northern Kow Soi Curry -- excellent curry sauce; we like a smaller amount of food and this was good. We were there on a Saturday night with probably 20% of tables empty and had to ask 3 times to open our wine (it is BYOB). Asking for other service things (a spoon) took several repeats. It is a bit crowded. Not a large space. Sparsely decorated which we prefer.
- Great spicy ThaiYoungprofdinerVIPDined on 7/17/2014Great food. Next time I'll probably opt for less spice since it was quite intense. Appetizers were especially delicious! Highly recommend the crab Rangoon and summer rolls!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/12/2014Another great meal at Circles. Service was very good as well. Seitan satay always good. And the donuts to finish the meal - a crowing glory to a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great neighborhood spotsixerDined on 6/28/2014The servers were attentive. Food was plentiful and delicious and looked beautiful on the plate. I look forward to a return trip to sample more items from the unusual menu.Special Features:
- The following 73 reviews are from the Circles Restaurant - 2nd Street reviews archive.
- Nice but could do with a tweaksBelleVIPDined on 6/14/2014We arrived for our reservation early and was seated promptly. However, my partner's chair was facing the kitchen, and that did not prove appetizing. The kitchen, separated by a thin veil-like covering, was visible when seated, allowing the customer to observe food prep, instruments such as a microwave... I suggest simply having another covering for that doorway and/or placing guests at a sufficient distance from the kitchen. Also we were not checked-in as promised, thankfully I received notification via e-mail from Opentable and it was quickly rectified.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!BigODined on 6/6/2014Best Thai food I have had in a while! Top to bottom outstanding. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some of the Best Thai in the CityOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/25/2014I visit Circles or order some take out several times per month. Everything is flavorful and well-made. Often when I think I have the urge to order ordinary Chinese take-out, I slap myself back into reality and give Circles a call. My favorites: The Thai Rice Soup - very subtle, fragrant, flavorful both. I always order this. Pad See Ew Garlic Basil Fried Rice Thai Peanutty Noodles - I am assuming this isn't authentic at all, but when I am looking for something different, this usually fits the bill. The name kind of says it all Curries are also good - Red, Panang..even Pumpkin and PineappleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014The apps were great. The rice dishes good though when ordering medium, you will receive mild. No spice level! Worst pad thai I've ever had. Ever!
- good experiencegaglVIPDined on 5/10/2014food was good. those who complain about TOO HOT probably don't know the true difference. some of it was bland. the coconut soup had no spice. there are better thai restaurants. if you want Asian food, try RITZ SEAFOOD in Voorhees, nj. there food is really specialSpecial Features:
- Yummy food, great serviceGermangirl23VIPDined on 4/5/2014We really enjoyed our meal at Circles! They like to make their food spicy, so even the medium is hot compared to other restaurants. But, they're also great at filling up your water constantly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemRosajflDined on 3/29/2014Circles doesn't look like much from the outside, but the interior is beautiful and intimate. It would make a great date spot. The food was fantastic but be warned- when they say spicy, they mean SPICY!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BYOB findDinerVIPDined on 3/22/2014Very nice haven in Northern Liberties, worth the walk up Second Street. We were greeted by a welcoming host and promptly seated at a comfortable table with plenty of space to have private conversations. The interior is a soothing Asian style. The bench seating had triangular pillows that were really comfortable. The menu has creative house specials as well as classic Thai dishes. The chef provided a nice amuse bouche to start the evening. The entrees were very well prepared. The meat was perfectly done. Chicken curry (there is a whole page of curries) was excellent. We passed on dessert as the potions were quite large. Overall excellent flavor and balance. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Circles Wins AgainsteveDined on 2/27/2014In my second visit to this Northern Liberties restaurant, I and my two dinner companions once again loved every choice we made. Every item we chose from the menu was vegetarian, and each selection was delectable, especially the "Amazing Stir Fry with Seitan." We'll certainly return.Special Features:
- As Good As Always...OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/31/2014The dinner Friday evening for a group of 5 was great. Why? Because the food was as good as ever. Never had a bad meal there. Snapper special was excellent as was the coconut soup and the pad thai. The donuts are always a great way to end a meal there. Excellent service as well. Best thai restaurant in Philly - gets my vote.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- where's my soup?gooseDined on 1/19/20144 of us dined, 2 ordered appetizers, 2 soup. Appetizers & 1 soup arrived, 1 soup did not. No explanation provided. After a while, tried to get waitress's attention. After several tries, finally caught her eye, she nodded and walked away toward kitchen, rather than to our table, which seemed totally inappropriate. Came to table with no soup, stating only that soup would be ready shortly. Others had finished appetizers & soup, entrees were coming shortly, so missing soup was no longer wanted. Please just bring out the entrees. This was done. Soup was removed from bill, but no explanation or apology was made about the missing soup. The food we did receive was very tasty, but the experience left a bad taste in my mouth.Special Features:
- Thai Curry HeavenBigDaveVIPDined on 12/12/2013My first visit to Circles based on my daughter's recommendation. I was not disappointed. I'm vegan and love Thai. They were very accommodating to our requests. Lemon grass soup was very flavorful with a little kick; Summer rolls were huge, crispy and made perfect with the dipping sauce. Thai red curry w Tofu is my test dish and this was one of the best I've ever had--creamy rich curry flavors. I almost always ask for hot, but ordered medium and it was hot enough! Pad Kaprow (Tofu) was also good -- perfectly cooked. No corkage fee for our beer! Server was nice and got everything out just right otherwise pretty much left us alone. The setting was gorgeous and relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/27/2013Everything was delicious. I chose spice level "hot" and I had to eat slowly and take some home with me, but well worth it. I think I need a level of spice between medium and hot but everything was great and our whole party of 6 loved it! I was in Thailand recently and think the food is authentic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unskilled staffOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/24/2013We were a group of four all here for the first time at this restaurant. The food is not served family style. They served two of us and then it was 15 minutes before the other two meals came out, We asked them to please warm up the first two plates. Another 10 minutes went by and then they came out one dish was colder and the other was something different all together, The manager came out and said she would fix it, back the dishes went again. Five more minutes till they came out warm but still not the original dish ordered. No comp, no apology from the waiter. There are way better Thai restaurants to choose from.
- Circles is a gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/31/2013Lovely atmosphere and quiet on a Thursday evening. Great curries and papaya salad. Salmon spring rolls were a surprise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doesn't disappoint!KarmaPhillyGirlDined on 10/31/2013Just took my family to Circles to celebrate my sister's bday and it was great! I LOVE the pumpkin curry dish soooo much! It never disappoints! I was also thrilled to hear that they are bringing back the old menu and I look forward to getting the spring rolls again once I go back...they were delicious! Our server was lovely and overall we had a great experience. My family loved it, too, as it was their first time trying the restaurant. It made for a very enjoyable evening! So glad that's where I picked to go...Special Features:
- Definitely the most authenticCweb103VIPDined on 10/4/2013Definitely the most authentic Thai I have found in Philly yet. Food was very flavorful. Love the Pok Pok salad and the tofu curry we ordered. Also the mango sticky rice was good, but it just doesnt compare to eating it in Thailand. Definitely worth a visit anyway!Special Features:
- Consider myself an easygoingcguevara83Dined on 9/6/2013Consider myself an easygoing diner, more so than other chefs I know. But service was incredibly slow and unattentive. Didn't get appetizers until almost 50 minutes after we sat. dinner took another 20 minutes after appetizers and the restaurant wasn't even packed. As far as food goes, appetizers were good, pad see yew was very good, and the curries were very spicy. I'd recommend skipping this one if you're looking for authentic thai food.Special Features:
- Absolutely Love!lanalangVIPDined on 9/4/2013Food was fantastic and have great options for vegetarians!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing. I will be back.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/31/2013Amazing food, great sevice and clean restaurant. I was a little sketchy when walking up to the place, but once inside I understood why this is a popular place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Thai food in NoLibsOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/27/2013Circles has been so successful in South Philly, they have opened a branch in Northern Liberties. The No Libs Circles is very attractive on the inside with a sleek, modern feel. The service was friendly and efficient from the moment of greeting and all through the dinner. The food was of good quality, I just wasn't wowed by what I ate. Maybe it's trying to be a little bit too much contemporary Thai. Each dish had so much going on with it, so many ingredients and flavors and yet I don't recall one spectacular taste the entire night. It's also a little pricier than most Thai restaurants in Philadelphia. It is a BYO which def saves some money. Overall I think it's a good restaurant and it was a pleasant experience being there...just not wow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was my third visit togxcue1Dined on 7/26/2013This was my third visit to this Circles. Parking is difficult, but it I was nearby, so I thought I'd give it another shot. The first time I dined here, I was in a party of about 10 people and tasted a majority of the dishes off the menu. I found the food to be very average. My second visit was more or less the same. During my most recent I started off with the duck salad. The duck breast was a perfect medium-rare and the chili lime vinaigrette complemented it well. The tofu pad thai for the second course was executed well and had really bold flavors. I don't know if my third meal was better than the first two or if it just tasted better because I didn't come in with any expectations, but I will be sure to come back for another visit.Special Features:
- Fresh, Tasty Thai FoodDeeBeeDined on 7/5/2013Mocktails mixed nicely with Kettle One Vodka to cool my mouth. I asked for spicy and I got it. And sure did enjoy it. There was a little bit of wait for the drinks and food... but it was worth the wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BYOB ThaiDarBroEatsVIPDined on 6/5/2013Be sure to bring some rum or vodka for their mixed drink. Having travelled to Thailand a number of times, I would say Circle Restaurant has pretty authenic flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My 5th time there. It hasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/23/2013My 5th time there. It has been wonderful each time. The staff is warm and friendly. We went there last week after my girlfriends graduation from Rutgers. The staff was especially attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GemOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/2/2013Great addition to the food scene in northern liberties! When you walk in to the unassuming restaurant , you will be very happy to see a sparkling , newly renovated restaurant ! The food is delicious , the staff are gracious and want to serve you. Did not know it was a byob.. Which is another plus! Walk through the door, a pleasant oasis off 2nd street!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Thai FoodSallyVIPDined on 4/29/2013Food at Circles is very dependable, good Thai food. I am never disappointed. Love the soups and crispy tofu. Portions ample. Price reasonable. A great choice when i want to take my hungry family out to dinner. Good for lunch when many places are closed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was awesome but thereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/17/2013The food was awesome but there were a couple mistakes/delays with the service.Special Features:
- It turned out to be Thai newOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/13/2013It turned out to be Thai new year and there were two wonderful tasting menus: 8-course or 4-course vegetarian. Both delicious.
- Chefs tasting menuOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/12/2013Chefs tasting menu very good. Really showed the expertise of the chef. Best Thai food I've had. Even better than the normal menu at Circles.Special Features:
- Disappointing prix fix mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/12/2013We recently dined at Circles Northern Liberties for their special 8-course Thai New Year menu. Although we've enjoyed many dinners from their Newbold location, we were really let down by this meal. First of all, we expected a little fanfare because of how this event was billed. There was little to no explanation of the dishes from the server (who was perfectly friendly), and we found most of them to be underwhelming to downright unappetizing. It was a good thing we had lots of wine to wash it all down! Very disappointing, we won't return to this location.
- Was there for 6-course prixpassthebutterVIPDined on 4/11/2013Was there for 6-course prix fixe dinner. Courses were hit and miss, ranging from excellent (thai basil duck) to complete misses. Still, a decent effort, and worth the price. The problem came later, when I realized that I had left my tote bag under the table with an expensive and special bottle of wine that we had never opened. We were among the last to leave, so no one else was seated and the staff obviously picked it up when they cleared the table. Called, but no answer. Called first thing in the morning, the person said she didn't see it. Called again that afternoon, same answer, and manager too busy to talk. Never called back. Really? It's okay to steal customers' stuff? Just lucky I didn't leave my wallet or credit card there.
- Food was amazing!! RecommendOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/3/2013Food was amazing!! Recommend downgrading your spice level. Medium is HOT!Special Features: