Circe Restaurant & Bar
50 Weybosset St
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Circe Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://circerestaurantbar.com/
- Phone: 4014378991x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 1:00am, Friday: 11:00am - 2:00am, Saturday: 3:00pm - 2:00am, Sunday: 10:00am - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Simon Keating
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Circe Restaurant & Bar
Carlo Carlozzi, the popular bartender at Ten Prime Steak and Sushi for the past decade, opened Circe, his first restaurant. The menu consists of American-infused, Mediterranean dishes and drinks that are "exotic and special."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Circe Restaurant & Bar - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
Circe Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (41)special occasion (40)romantic (37)vibrant bar scene (30)neighborhood gem (25)hot spot (24)good for groups (20)late-night find (19)notable wine list (10)great for brunch (7)great for lunch (5)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- another excellent mealspikeDined on 8/22/2014Dinner for five. all courses, wine and service were top notch. the pasta dishes and seafood were exceptional. Owner is attentive and incorporates feedback productively. it is closer than you realize and has free valet parking. check it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theaterbilltDined on 8/20/2014Great place to eat before the theater.. Or second thought.. Eat there anytime ..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to celebrateOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Went out with a group of 4 people to celebrate friends moving into the area. Service was excellent, cocktail and wine list was fun, the menu options were superb. It was difficult to pick among the options, but everyone was happy with their choice. And the dessert was the perfect end to the evening. We felt well cared for the entire time.Special Features:
- Great birthday celebration!CindyBDined on 8/10/2014Fantastic food and cocktail selection! Quiet on a Sunday night. Great dessert presentation for a special occasion! Service was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five star diningTheDevineDined on 8/9/2014A five star hidden gem. The best restaurant in any country I have ever visited is Circe. The food is so memorable that you will never go anywhere else again. The bar is a delight to the senses. The attention to detail and romantic atmosphere is intoxicating. The staff is knowledgable and attentive to your every need. The sights, sounds and artistic tones will leave you wanting more. This is something you just have to experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food and great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/9/2014We live north of Boston so we don't get to Providence very often, but we had such a nice evening at Circe that we have to share. Four exceptional meals were delivered to our table last Saturday night, and we truly appreciated our server; Dave. He did an outstanding job and made us feel like we were his only table. It was a fun-filled, delicious, unhurried dining experience, and one we will remember for a long time. Well done!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/27/2014We found this restaurant through Open Table. We were in Providence and stopped for brunch. It is definitely five stars. The restaurant is beautiful and the service and food were over the top. We had omelettes, caprese salad, Jonah crab hash and another breakfast egg dish. All were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Find!MabeatsDined on 7/26/2014We took a risk going to Circe, knowing nothing about it other than what we read on line, and we were taking out-of-town guests. So we were thrilled to find another restaurant to add to our "Must go back" list. The service was outstanding. Our waitress was enthusiastic, helpful, and attentive, as were the young men who assisted her. The cocktails were unparalleled. Carlo's special recipes were like nothing we'd ever tasted. We were particularly fond of the Whole Foods cocktail and Hibiscus martini. We started with the calamari, lightly breaded, done to perfection. Two of us had the scallops which were delicate and perfectly prepared. The salmon was also lovely. The meal ended with lemon tart and white chocolate crème brule. Wonderful.Special Features:
- Hidden Gemjsnb101Dined on 7/24/2014My wife and I wanted to try a new place and we found some great review about Circe... which caused some shock when we arrived, because it was relatively empty. The bar was almost full with seemingly a post-work (Thursday) cocktail crowd, but only one or two other tables with guests dining. The service was fantastic, the food was delicious. The only reason it marked a 4/5 stars was that I wasn't a fan of the spices in the meatball appetizer -- but my wife was the one who ordered it, and she loved it. We had the grilled pizza and beef tartar, which were both phenomenal. The owner even stopped by to check on us and showed a clear passion for his restaurant, which is always refreshing. I hope more people start going!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/18/2014Nice mod look with strikingly upholstered chairs, a nice buzz in the atmosphere. Good drinks and an exciting wine list, the all-Spanish theme is bold and there are some real bargains (e.g Mas Donis and some Bierzo selections as well as Lopez de Haro Rioja, all Parker 90+ wines in the $20's and low 30"s!!!) Very nice selection of tapas well prepared, some dishes genuinely exciting (Chilean Sea Bass Cheeks over lobster succotash was superb) and others standard issue (Gambas al Ajo would have been nicer crisped up in shell especially with heads on) ....overall a winner and will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EhChrisDined on 7/17/2014The restaurant is beautiful but the food was just ok. Everything we ordered was cooked well but it all lacked flavor. Nothing tasted bad, just didn't make me want to come back. It was Restaurant Week so not sure if that was a factor.Special Features:
- Awesome Bar StaffNPdinerDined on 7/17/2014Had a great time at the bar. Bartenders were friendly and made some amazing drinks. Great bar menu as well. Overall a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deborah MoxhamTallulahDined on 7/16/2014Circe has a striking space with dramatic high ceilings, a clean white look, and a happening bar. It offers plenty of seating, including a balcony which overlooks it all but affords a quieter space. The menu is full of appealing options and the food is stellar. Everyone at my table of six though this own dish was the best, from the fried oysters to the watermelon gaspzpacho , the range of appetizers was notable. My cider brined pork chop with chutney and a sage cream sauce was a knockout. I would go back for this dish alone. Desserts were equally scrumptious. To add to all this, our waitress was perfect with service and recommendations on food and wine and got the cocktail orders just right.Special Features:
- Not a good experiencefoodie23Dined on 7/14/2014I came to Circe with 3 others to enjoy the food of Restaurant week. We were seated right away and introduced to our server, Kevin. However the prompt service vanished as soon as it was apparent that we weren't ordering any alcohol and were using the restaurant week menu. From then on Kevin barely came to our table. It took 40 minutes for BREAD to be served after having to ask again for it. It took one hour to get our appetizers and the restaurant wasn't even crowded! As for the food, the pasta dish was inedible with the hand-cut pasta too doughy and a disconcertingly oily sauce. The English Summer pudding was fairly bad - the fruit didn't taste fresh. Overall the service and wait times were terrible and accompanied by equally bad dishes.
- Are there 6 STARS? FABULOUS!CapeCodRhondaDined on 7/12/2014We booked this GEM for dinner and all 4 of us can't stop talking about it. Creative cocktails received rave reviews. Unique appetizers ranging from watermelon gazpacho, or roasted beet salad made the best of local farm fresh produce. You could taste the summer sunshine! The entree's were 10+. PERFECT angus sirloin and scallop dish, served with sautéed spinach and scallion mashed potatoes. The scallops were cooked perfectly and the beef is sliced and fanned out on your plate so that a knife really isn't necessary. A very flavorful and most tender cut. Perfect presentation! Great service! Beautiful transitional interior with respect for the architectural details of the building. Fine dinning at its BEST!Special Features:
- Excellent drinks and food!teriDined on 7/11/2014They have the best cocktail menu in providence. I love the age range of the crowd ( 30-50) The food was excellent. The owner treated us very nicely! Thank you for a wonderful date night:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/5/2014Great food, extremely attentive service, great wine list, cool atmosphere -what more could you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent againAllyVIPDined on 7/4/2014Had another excellent dinner at Circe! The food was top notch as well as everything else. Specialty cocktails that delivered, creative and well executed menu, great atmosphere and service. What more could one ask for? Circe tries hard to please and succeeds. I will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationsSimonLechienDined on 7/3/2014Pleasantly surprised, met and exceeded my expectations. Great food, friendly staff, and nice ambience. Definitely a place I plan to visit again.Special Features:
- ???Fodor2Dined on 6/15/2014This was my second time having dinner at Circe; the first time was a Saturday night, the restaurant was very busy, the food was very good and there was valet parking. The reviews stated customers attending PPAC were given theater discounts and were able to keep their cars valet parked at the restaurant; having theater tickets for this past Sunday night we decided to have dinner again at Circe. It was like a different restaurant, no valet parking, although we were allowed to park in the parking lot across the street, the restaurant had very few customers, the food lacked flavor, and we were not offered a theater discount. With so many good restaurants in Providence to choose from, I will not be having dinner at Circe again.
- Perfect!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/14/2014Service, atmosphere and food were all perfect! Great location if you are going to Waterfire.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinnerbettyfinn007Dined on 5/30/2014This was a perfect place for our anniversary. Free valet, great cocktail list, and a very energetic, attentive and friendly server. (wish I remembered her name). We had lamb meatballs for an appetizer, the bacon wrapped sirloin, and salmon. All were fantastic. I have recommended this place to friends.Special Features:
- Lovely graduation dinnerDougDined on 5/25/2014In spite of the challenge of dealing with several large groups celebrating local college graduations, the team at Circe made our evening memorably pleasant. Our server was very knowledgeable and spent a lot of time explaining menu items and specials. We started with local cheeses paired with a bottle from the very good wine list, and our party ordered a variety of entrees, giving us a good cross section of the menu. The salmon with mango salsa was the best salmon dish I've had in a long time. We did lose our server halfway through the meal, as he was apparently pulled away by a party of 12+ in the back of the restaurant, but that small glitch in service in no way compromised the fine overall experience.Special Features:
- Perfect dinner celebration!JDHW617Dined on 5/25/2014We went to Circe for a special graduation dinner --- and it could not have been more perfect! The staff went out of their way to take care of our large party (including making a couple of special plates for some family members with dietary restrictions) and every dish was absolutely delicious. Everybody raved about their meals (and this is a crowd that frequents restaurants in NY, Boston, etc.) The evening was paced just right. We absolutely loved Circe and will be back--a real find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great valueLuvProvDingDined on 5/24/2014We were a party of four on a very busy Providence Waterfire night. Our table was ready, service was timely, our waiter was experienced and knowledgeable, and the food was very good as expected. What is truly appreciated at this restaurant is the scale. The noise level is moderate and the tables are nicely spaced. The cost was less than what we expected to pay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- commencement celebrationJofeDined on 5/24/2014We had a dinner celebrating college graduation. The reserved table for our group was in the front window alcove which was nice for quiet conversation and very comfortable. The noise level in other parts of the restaurant may get to be rather high, given the active bar clientele, but it did not disturb our group. Service was attentive and the food was outstanding, with beautiful presentation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beattraffic/Go to theatre/AnytimeFoodLoverDined on 5/21/2014This is the second time dining here and it was as good as the first. My husband and I chose to do small plates for dinner and order in "courses", from the bar menu, to enjoy the flavors - chicken fingers fried in bacon/bacon fat with a chipotle dipping sauce, duck confit eggrolls with a hoisin peanut butter dipping sauce; split the meatloaf; each had the Caesar salad (request all romaine and beets on mine. Everything was prepared, presented and served wonderfully. The first visit was before the theater and had plenty of time to dine and arrive on time. This time it was to wait out rush hour traffic back to Mass. It was a very pleasant way to wait out the traffic. The staff and owner are very welcoming.Special Features:
- Circe=Greek for "Great restaurant"?DojoDined on 5/10/2014This restaurant has it all...inventive dishes perfectly executed with local ingredients, excellent service, cool vibe, and very convenient to other downtown Providence sites, including PPAC and Waterfire. Pricey but well worth the cost. We had tickets to PPAC and received the "pre-theater" discount, courtesy of our server. Standout dishes included the salads with Shartner's Farm beets, mushroom bolognese (vegetarian), lobster risotto, and grilled Bomster scallops. The french fries with the garlic aoli dipping sauce were a hit, too (we wouldn't let our server take away the sauce after the fries were long gone). No time for dessert this visit, but we'll definitely be back. Highly recommended. Interesting fact: "Circe" is pronounced "sur-see".Special Features:
- interesting fresh menuEVLZDined on 5/10/2014The decor of the restaurant was great. It was comfortable and modern. The menu was interesting with many local ingredients. The lobster risotto with avocado ice cream was outstanding. We loved the trout stuffed with crabmeat special as well. It was a wonderful start to a fun evening at the theater. The complimentary valet parking was a nice bonus.Special Features:
- Exquisite!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/10/2014I am so glad we tried Circe! It was within walking distance from the PPAC, which is perfect for before or after a show. Their 3-course Prix Fixe menu offered enough variety to suit all four at our table, and everything was delicious! To highlight a few items: the calamari was light, tender and crispy; the truffle-infused bolognese was packed with rich flavor; the salmon was cooked to perfection, accompanied by the freshest mango salsa. The service was prompt and courteous. We will definitely be returning the next time we are in Providence!Special Features:
- Great any time!42ndAnniversaryDined on 5/9/2014We first had a family dinner last December at Circe before going to PPAC. The food was fabulous, the atmosphere lively with a long crowded bar, they offer valet parking, and after dinner, we walked to PPAC since Circe allows theater goers to leave their cars with the valet! This is a real find for folks with tickets to the Providence Performing Arts Center. We returned to Circe for Mother's Day. Again, the hostess was extremely accomodating, and the food delicious. The only reason I am not giving them five stars is because the table configuration is somewhat limited; however, they do a great job with the decor and the space they have!Special Features:
- Great Restaurantev162Dined on 5/9/2014We had dinner at Circe before a show at PPAC. The Food was wonderful. The wait staff was very attentive, and knowledgeable. I would definately return, and recommend Circe to friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More a bar than a restaurantGSRehoboDined on 5/4/2014We went after the theater around 9 pm on a Sunday. If you like pounding house music, this is the place for you. We were seated as far from the bar as possible and still couldn't hear each other. First two choices of appetizers were not available. Finally found some things on the menu that they actually had. Very mediocre food. The sashimi small plate was particularly uninspired, slices of raw fish (which were fresh) served with three accompaniments, one of which was just a bowl of capers. I wouldn't recommend this place for dinner, but the bar seems popular.Special Features:
- Excellent foodBuzzGundersenVIPDined on 5/4/2014In a city where the restaurant norm would equal greatness in most of the rest of the country, based on our single experience Circe would stand out as one of the best. The food was creatively conceived and artfully prepared from excellent ingredients. We'll be back.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/3/2014I chose this restaurant as we had theatre tickets and they were located close to the venue. We were promptly seated and our waiter asked if we were going to the theatre, obviously concerned about timing. We had an hour to dine. I ordered Jonnie Walker scotch and was told they were out-a red flag, how can a restaurant be out on a Saturday night. The appetizer was served promptly but dinner was not brought out to us until we questioned the waiter and ultimately had less than 10 minutes to gulp it down and ended up being late for the show. On my way out I tried to grab the manager to discuss the matter but he was already engaged with another unhappy theatre goer.Special Features:
- The following 127 reviews are from the Circe Restaurant & Bar reviews archive.
- Just what Providence neededJarjacDined on 5/2/2014Great location and ambiance. Very chic restaurant with a lively bar. Service was great. Food was excellent...however, the lamb meatballs we ordered for an app were undercooked. Our entrees were cooked to order perfectly. They went out of their way to address my food allergy and took the necessary precautions to make me feel at ease. Not to mention the 10% off for attending before the theater was an added bonus. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, disappointed by serviceProvFoodie27Dined on 5/1/2014We loved our appetizer and cocktails, but were disappointed because our entrees took and hour and 15 mins to come out. We were heading to a show at PPac that night so had to have our food boxed up without even getting to enjoy a bite of it. The reheated leftovers the next day were not nearly as good as they would have been of they were fresh. I usually don't complain, but it was extremely disappointing to wait all that time and not even enjoy the food...Special Features:
- Great Business LunchB2the3rdDined on 4/29/2014Hosted a business lunch for 6. Service was fantastic, food was fantastic, price was reasonable. I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner out with ColleaguesfoodiewhotravelsDined on 4/26/2014I was in town for a conference and went to dinner with some close colleagues. Dinner was wonderful! The best meal all week. The service was wonderful. I had the lamb and it was some of the best lamb I've ever had. The chocolate by death was wonderful but so large! The portions could be scaled back -- but that was true for ever restaurant I visited in Providence.Special Features:
- Spectacular Dining Experience!!DCEatsVIPDined on 4/21/2014Took eight members of our staff to dinner at Circe on Monday evening. A fantastic experience all around! Our server Amy was most gracious and hospitable, making us feel not only welcome but at home and special. The food was one terrific experience after another and the ambiance and setting perfect for our celebration. Circe is a wonderful gem of a dining establishment in downtown Providence and a superb addition to my group's list of culinary exceptional finds! Thank you to the staff and chefs at Circe for a memorable evening!Special Features: