8 N. Front St.
Wilmington, NC 28401Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.circa1922.com/
- Phone: 9107621922
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Kyle McKnight
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private upstairs dining room accommodates up to 65 guests. May be utilized for either hors d'oeuvres receptions or sit-down dinners. Private parties are offered a 4-course limited menu. Customized menus are also available.
- Private Party Contact: Greg Lightcap 9107621922
- Entertainment: Live jazz piano standards Friday & Saturday evenings from 8:00pm - 11:00pm
- Cross Street: Market Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Market Street parking deck located directly behind Circa 1922. First hour is free, $1 for each additional hour. Special rates for weekday evenings. $5 after 9:00pm on weekends. On-street parking is free after 6:30pm and all day on Sundays.
A word from Circa 1922
Circa 1922 is home to tapas-style dining and wine bar in historic downtown Wilmington. Regionally-themed sharing platters are a popular new addition to the menu allowing guests to sample several tapas offerings. A 12-bottle custom cruvinet keeps our wines by the glass consistently fresh and true to taste or choose from an eclectic international selection of wines by the bottle. After-work tapas specials, weekly sushi specials and a 3-course prix Fixe menu make Circa 1922 a popular downtown destination.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Circa 1922 - Best Restaurants in Wilmington ›
Circa 1922 reviews from OpenTable diners
112 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (72)special occasion (63)romantic (47)neighborhood gem (42)good for groups (34)notable wine list (28)hot spot (14)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (12)great for brunch (6)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (3)Show More
- Very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014New in town and wanted to take my parents out when they came to visit. The food was delicious and fairly priced. I did not care for the "Hibiscus Margharita" because it tasted solely of tequila and sugar and not so much of the flower. Also, not that the establishment could help it but there was a very loud and obnoxious toddler causing chaos at the table next to us and that took away from the overall experience. This restaurant is NOT kid-friendly, especially if those kids cannot sit quietly at a table. It was pretty loud but we sat upstairs away from the majority of the noise. But over all, all of my family enjoyed their food and the ambiance and I will be returning next time for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Downtown gem!MLB10SDined on 9/22/2014We had a group of 8 that had a wonderful experience at Circa 1922! From our waiter to the drinks to the delicious food, it was first class! We all ordered various dishes but the Chicken Orrichiette from the Prix Fixe menu was wonderful! Also the sangria was great! We originally booked our reservation for 6 but added 2 more and this was no problem! Would definitely eat here again and highly recommend it to my friends! Loved the decor and it reminded me of a place in New York called Josephine's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful dining experiencedeblynDined on 9/21/2014excellent food - great service - quiet, relaxed atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative MenuETNC1Dined on 9/20/2014Excellent food! Imaginative menu! Short ribs were outstanding, Shrimp & Grits melted in your mouth! Bread pudding memorable! Great service!Special Features:
- Poor foodDpk1991Dined on 9/20/2014Both the paella and lamb chop were very bland and average at the least.Special Features:
- Wilmington's Circa 1922 is amazing!AmazingDined on 9/19/2014The atmosphere, food/wine and service were 2 thumbs up!! I highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always an amazing meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014Brought my brother here for his birthday and the food and wine were amazing! Service from Sarah was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding experiencezoidmealsDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I were in Wilmington for an early anniversary weekend. My wife had eaten at Circa 1922 before but I hadn't. Everything was excellent. We were congratulated on our anniversary at check-in and were treated very well. Our waiter, Kilby was very good and the food was everything I had been told. Both entrees were fabulous (bacon wrapped chicken and braised lamb shank) as were the side dishes. I cannot think of anything that I did not enjoy. Look forward to coming again!Special Features:
- A pleasant surprisemarxpixDined on 9/13/2014We were visiting Wilimington for the first time and after doing some online research decided upon Circa 1922. A great atmosphere with fine food ( we did a variety of tapas with a Caesar salad. Wine selection was great as was the service.Special Features:
- Great food, lovely ambianceSouthernerAtHeartDined on 9/12/2014This is our second dining experience at Circa 1922. Last time, I tried the salmon and it was very good. This time, I went for the hangar steak and was pleasantly surprised at the portion size and thickness of the meat. Don't be fooled by the "small plates" menu. These are full-sized entrees that are proportioned for humans - not giants like some restaurants. I'm all about a good value but I just don't need a 20 oz. portion of anything (except maybe wine :) We had a very good server, almost great. The 2nd floor was pretty empty and he could've been "a little" more present but who knows, he may have had a crazy table downstairs or something. We never went wanting for anything for long. This is where we bring our visitors for out of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nicefoodieeDined on 9/6/2014My group loved the ambience except the piano was a bit loud. The food was excellent. Be warned...The colossal Creme Brule is colossal! Not for one person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most Delightful Experience of VisitReviews2shareDined on 9/6/2014Several years ago we visited Circa 1922 by chance and vowed to return. Our visit this trip was the most delightful experience of a birthday visit to Wilmington, NC. Just as we remembered, the starters, entrees, drinks, and desserts were fabulous ... the wait staff helpful, mature, professional, fun, and knowledgeable. We were happy to see the same level of delicious food and service had been maintained. Enjoyed a wonderful hibiscus margarita, great beer and wine, a mix of tapas, perfect red snapper served with Fava beans, lobster nage, squid ink noodle, and paella. The Spanish-nod décor with polished dark wood, brick walls, and large canvases depicting diners from another era enjoying their evening out creates a memorable ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NanaeatsoutDined on 9/6/2014As always, Circa was fabulous. We had tickets for the theater at eight, and our wait staff made sure we were served and out on time for the show. We had tapas and drinks. The calamari at Circa is the best we in town and we always return for more.Special Features:
- Wilmington, NC FavoriteMegaFoodieDined on 9/5/2014Circa 1922 has been one of our favorite restaurants for many years. The service is outstanding, and seating is very comfortable and semi-private. They recently renovated their main dining room, enlarging it by eliminating their pub seating in the bar area. Now it's even better. They are always changing their menu which is great for foodies who like to try new things. There wine list is very good and always has interesting selections. My favorite dessert is a Crepes Grand Marnier. DELICIOUS!!!Special Features:
- wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014from the online reservation process to the dessert all was a truly enjoyable dinner. Would highly recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Vibrant and TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/1/2014Sat outside, which have it an Urban feel. Prior visit we ate inside about 2-3 years ago.??Food was prepared nicely, inventive GF options that hit the spot. Enjoyed a Rose and the occasional homeless/interesting person that came by. The GF Almond Joy cake might be the best desert we've had, well worth a trip...though pricey the food was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always an enjoyable night!GaPeachDined on 8/26/2014We've been here several times. Very good in every category!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alane PritchardNewtoNorthCarolinaDined on 8/22/2014Took our out of state guests here for a greater than great dinner! We have been here before and knew that no one would be disappointed! Circa is always great. Never had a bad meal there! Would highly recommend!Special Features:
- Wonderful Experiencetss818Dined on 8/18/2014Our family ate dinner here while on vacation and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was recommended to us by a friend who frequently visits Wilmington. I had shrimp and grits, my daughter had the filet mignon, and my husband had the fixed price menu and chose skirt steak. Everything was well prepared and delicious. Our waiter was excellent and recommended wines that paired nicely with our meals. The creme brulee was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RaccoonsDined on 8/17/2014Enjoyed our first visit to Circa 1922. We had an early dinner (6pm) following a Sunday matinee performance at Thalian Hall. We called an hour+ before our reservation time to let them know we would be 20-30 minutes late due to longer than expected performance. We arrived 20 minutes after the original reservation time and were seated at a table next to a wait staff service station....not the most desirable location when restaurant was less than 1/3 full (we did not ask to be re-seated) Nice , but smaller, wine selection and interesting selection of small plate starters and entrees. On Sun-Thurs nights a 3 course prix fixe meal is offered for $21.95 which was good value. Food and food were both good but not fabulous.
- Wonderful ExperienceJPRchitectDined on 8/16/2014My steak rivaled that of filets that I have had that cost twice the price. The location is perfect and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- jazz99Dined on 8/16/2014The food had great flavors but the service was lacking and the restaurants was much too loud.Special Features:
- Creme Brulee is a mustOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Be sure to save room for the giant creme brulee, which looks large, but is very thin, so 2-3 people can easily finish it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does Not Disappointlauralady7Dined on 8/15/2014Great food and service, and the prices are very reasonable.Special Features:
- Great hosts, great food.JamieDined on 8/15/2014Food was excellent. The mango was a perfect addition to the spicy tuna avocado roll. That's a combination I've never experienced before! And the service was excellent. It was a special occasion for us and they treated us to a special dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciousness !!EileenDined on 8/13/2014My husband & I went twice for dinner, once just the two of us & the following week with our 21 year old son. My son & I thoroughly enjoyed our Chicken Orrichetti from the Price Fix menu. My husband had the steak & also enjoyed that. We also shared a bottle of wine because Wednesday is 1/2 price bottles. Love the Price Fix salad choices & desserts we had also-really, really good & they give you a good amount of food, too.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Food was outstanding and the service was great too, we went for our wedding anniversary. It was an awesome dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice enviroment and great food.LocalDanDined on 8/10/2014Had a nice meal with good service in a romantic setting. Wish the tapas menu was a little larger and all of the larger plate options were available as tapas.Special Features:
- nice nightNCBuckeyeDined on 8/9/2014fun place cool building waiter was awesome hostess needs to be more hospitable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Delicious food and awesome view by the window on the second floor! The BEST macaroni and cheese I have ever had can be found here. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth The Wait!WindsorFoodieDined on 8/8/2014We have wanted to try Circa for months, and finally dined there when in Wilmington last Friday night. Well worth the wait! I had veal short ribs - tender, delicious - and my wife had paella - she loved it. We shared dessert - Grand Marnier crepes - which was fantastic! Cool atmosphere upstairs, downstairs was more energetic. Service was great. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st timeMrBillDined on 8/8/2014Recommended to us as a Wilmington fave. Nice ambiance, capable services and allowed a substitute of mushrooms vs sun dried tomatoes ( which worked great with the pasta). Both like our dinners and would go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem in WilmingtonWilmingtondineDined on 8/3/2014A must visit after theater or afternoon in Wilmington. The service is always impeccable, food is superb, and staff goes out of there way to accommodate your any desires. If you want a real service experience try and get seating at one of Robert's tables as he is the consummate professional in the services arena.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must go!!!Angelini23Dined on 8/2/2014My husband and I came to Wilmington for a long beach weekend, and researched and researched to find a good restaurant to treat ourselves to a lovely evening. Circa 1922 not only was absolutely delicious (meals cooked to perfection -we had the lamb and quail), creative drink menu, and amazing desserts (try the coconut and chocolate sushi roll), BUT ridiculously reasonably priced! We got 2 drinks, an app., (calamari was awesome with a wasabi and sweet sauce), 2 entrees and dessert for $80!!!! Fine dining that won't break the bank!!!Special Features:
- nice meal before a showparadoxDined on 8/2/2014Excellent service by a knowledgeable staff. Food is presented well and the portions were adequate. Worth the high fares.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a quite get togetherjorverDined on 8/1/2014It was our second time there, and we enjoy both food and wine. The "tapas" concept made for a great group interaction as we shared and commented on our selections, and it gave everyone a newer topic for conversation. It was also a plus that the younger crowd (with noise and gibirish) stayed outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favoritesdogloverjewelryDined on 7/30/2014Circa has been and, still is, one of the best restaurants in NC. My husband and I went there together for years until he developed Alzheimer's. I went this week by myself for the first time. It was wonderful as always. I explained to the manager what a special place Circa had been for us and got a little teary eyed. She said the meal was on her. Just overwhelming to be treated that way. They have great food choices -- pork belly is back on the menu! I have never had anything there that wasn't top notch. Well trained wait staff. An exciting dining experience without any of the pretention you sometimes see.Special Features:
- SabscoDined on 7/26/2014Very good food. Prompt knowledgable waiters. Enjoyed the evening. Will return next time I'm in wilmington.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no excuse bad serviceMaryDined on 7/19/2014Excellent food but service was terrible. Four dinners delicious and bad service is what we remember. Steak knives arrive minutes after steaks. Dinner wine arrives after dinner eaten. No excuse for lack of attention to detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crica Improves on "Excellent"PaulfromNovaVIPDined on 7/19/2014We visited Circa with friends who also love Circa, and we collectively - all four diners - had our best Circa meals ever. Every small plate ordered as an app - mussels, calamari, eggplant rolatini, mixed beets - was perfection. (The breads were very good as well.) Entrees - veal short ribs, veal shank, two fillets (yes, we're unapologetic carnivores) - were, again, home runs - cooked to perfection, w/ interesting sides. We had a nice bottle of Willamette Valley Pinot that was exceptionally well priced for the value. Killer desserts - especially the Bananas Foster - that could have fed the fleet: order conservatively, they're mammoth. Service was impeccable, efficient without ostentation. We're going back in a few days.Special Features: