8 N. Front St.
Wilmington, NC 28401Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.circa1922.com/
- Phone: 9107621922
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Kyle McKnight
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private upstairs dining room accommodates up to 65 guests. May be utilized for either hors d'oeuvres receptions or sit-down dinners. Private parties are offered a 4-course limited menu. Customized menus are also available.
- Private Party Contact: Greg Lightcap 9107621922
- Entertainment: Live jazz piano standards Friday & Saturday evenings from 8:00pm - 11:00pm
- Cross Street: Market Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Market Street parking deck located directly behind Circa 1922. First hour is free, $1 for each additional hour. Special rates for weekday evenings. $5 after 9:00pm on weekends. On-street parking is free after 6:30pm and all day on Sundays.
A word from Circa 1922
Circa 1922 is home to tapas-style dining and wine bar in historic downtown Wilmington. Regionally-themed sharing platters are a popular new addition to the menu allowing guests to sample several tapas offerings. A 12-bottle custom cruvinet keeps our wines by the glass consistently fresh and true to taste or choose from an eclectic international selection of wines by the bottle. After-work tapas specials, weekly sushi specials and a 3-course prix Fixe menu make Circa 1922 a popular downtown destination.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Circa 1922 - Best Restaurants in Wilmington ›
Circa 1922 reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (59)special occasion (54)romantic (46)neighborhood gem (35)good for groups (28)notable wine list (24)great for brunch (14)hot spot (11)late-night find (10)vibrant bar scene (9)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- Always an enjoyable night!GaPeachDined on 8/26/2014We've been here several times. Very good in every category!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alane PritchardNewtoNorthCarolinaDined on 8/22/2014Took our out of state guests here for a greater than great dinner! We have been here before and knew that no one would be disappointed! Circa is always great. Never had a bad meal there! Would highly recommend!Special Features:
- Wonderful Experiencetss818Dined on 8/18/2014Our family ate dinner here while on vacation and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was recommended to us by a friend who frequently visits Wilmington. I had shrimp and grits, my daughter had the filet mignon, and my husband had the fixed price menu and chose skirt steak. Everything was well prepared and delicious. Our waiter was excellent and recommended wines that paired nicely with our meals. The creme brulee was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RaccoonsDined on 8/17/2014Enjoyed our first visit to Circa 1922. We had an early dinner (6pm) following a Sunday matinee performance at Thalian Hall. We called an hour+ before our reservation time to let them know we would be 20-30 minutes late due to longer than expected performance. We arrived 20 minutes after the original reservation time and were seated at a table next to a wait staff service station....not the most desirable location when restaurant was less than 1/3 full (we did not ask to be re-seated) Nice , but smaller, wine selection and interesting selection of small plate starters and entrees. On Sun-Thurs nights a 3 course prix fixe meal is offered for $21.95 which was good value. Food and food were both good but not fabulous.
- Wonderful ExperienceJPRchitectDined on 8/16/2014My steak rivaled that of filets that I have had that cost twice the price. The location is perfect and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- jazz99Dined on 8/16/2014The food had great flavors but the service was lacking and the restaurants was much too loud.Special Features:
- Creme Brulee is a mustOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Be sure to save room for the giant creme brulee, which looks large, but is very thin, so 2-3 people can easily finish it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does Not Disappointlauralady7Dined on 8/15/2014Great food and service, and the prices are very reasonable.Special Features:
- Great hosts, great food.JamieDined on 8/15/2014Food was excellent. The mango was a perfect addition to the spicy tuna avocado roll. That's a combination I've never experienced before! And the service was excellent. It was a special occasion for us and they treated us to a special dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciousness !!EileenDined on 8/13/2014My husband & I went twice for dinner, once just the two of us & the following week with our 21 year old son. My son & I thoroughly enjoyed our Chicken Orrichetti from the Price Fix menu. My husband had the steak & also enjoyed that. We also shared a bottle of wine because Wednesday is 1/2 price bottles. Love the Price Fix salad choices & desserts we had also-really, really good & they give you a good amount of food, too.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Food was outstanding and the service was great too, we went for our wedding anniversary. It was an awesome dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice enviroment and great food.LocalDanDined on 8/10/2014Had a nice meal with good service in a romantic setting. Wish the tapas menu was a little larger and all of the larger plate options were available as tapas.Special Features:
- nice nightNCBuckeyeDined on 8/9/2014fun place cool building waiter was awesome hostess needs to be more hospitable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Delicious food and awesome view by the window on the second floor! The BEST macaroni and cheese I have ever had can be found here. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth The Wait!WindsorFoodieDined on 8/8/2014We have wanted to try Circa for months, and finally dined there when in Wilmington last Friday night. Well worth the wait! I had veal short ribs - tender, delicious - and my wife had paella - she loved it. We shared dessert - Grand Marnier crepes - which was fantastic! Cool atmosphere upstairs, downstairs was more energetic. Service was great. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st timeMrBillDined on 8/8/2014Recommended to us as a Wilmington fave. Nice ambiance, capable services and allowed a substitute of mushrooms vs sun dried tomatoes ( which worked great with the pasta). Both like our dinners and would go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem in WilmingtonWilmingtondineDined on 8/3/2014A must visit after theater or afternoon in Wilmington. The service is always impeccable, food is superb, and staff goes out of there way to accommodate your any desires. If you want a real service experience try and get seating at one of Robert's tables as he is the consummate professional in the services arena.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must go!!!Angelini23Dined on 8/2/2014My husband and I came to Wilmington for a long beach weekend, and researched and researched to find a good restaurant to treat ourselves to a lovely evening. Circa 1922 not only was absolutely delicious (meals cooked to perfection -we had the lamb and quail), creative drink menu, and amazing desserts (try the coconut and chocolate sushi roll), BUT ridiculously reasonably priced! We got 2 drinks, an app., (calamari was awesome with a wasabi and sweet sauce), 2 entrees and dessert for $80!!!! Fine dining that won't break the bank!!!Special Features:
- nice meal before a showparadoxDined on 8/2/2014Excellent service by a knowledgeable staff. Food is presented well and the portions were adequate. Worth the high fares.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a quite get togetherjorverDined on 8/1/2014It was our second time there, and we enjoy both food and wine. The "tapas" concept made for a great group interaction as we shared and commented on our selections, and it gave everyone a newer topic for conversation. It was also a plus that the younger crowd (with noise and gibirish) stayed outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favoritesdogloverjewelryDined on 7/30/2014Circa has been and, still is, one of the best restaurants in NC. My husband and I went there together for years until he developed Alzheimer's. I went this week by myself for the first time. It was wonderful as always. I explained to the manager what a special place Circa had been for us and got a little teary eyed. She said the meal was on her. Just overwhelming to be treated that way. They have great food choices -- pork belly is back on the menu! I have never had anything there that wasn't top notch. Well trained wait staff. An exciting dining experience without any of the pretention you sometimes see.Special Features:
- SabscoDined on 7/26/2014Very good food. Prompt knowledgable waiters. Enjoyed the evening. Will return next time I'm in wilmington.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no excuse bad serviceMaryDined on 7/19/2014Excellent food but service was terrible. Four dinners delicious and bad service is what we remember. Steak knives arrive minutes after steaks. Dinner wine arrives after dinner eaten. No excuse for lack of attention to detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crica Improves on "Excellent"PaulfromNovaVIPDined on 7/19/2014We visited Circa with friends who also love Circa, and we collectively - all four diners - had our best Circa meals ever. Every small plate ordered as an app - mussels, calamari, eggplant rolatini, mixed beets - was perfection. (The breads were very good as well.) Entrees - veal short ribs, veal shank, two fillets (yes, we're unapologetic carnivores) - were, again, home runs - cooked to perfection, w/ interesting sides. We had a nice bottle of Willamette Valley Pinot that was exceptionally well priced for the value. Killer desserts - especially the Bananas Foster - that could have fed the fleet: order conservatively, they're mammoth. Service was impeccable, efficient without ostentation. We're going back in a few days.Special Features:
- PRE-SHOW PERFECTIONPaulDined on 7/19/2014Circa is the perfect spot for dinner before attending a show at Thalian Hall. Three couples all enjoyed their salads, entrees, desserts, and drinks. One friend got distracted on departure and left his credit card with the bill. He promptly got a call, went back and retrieved it. Great meal, great pre-show ambience, and honesty to boot. Tough to beat that combination.Special Features:
- Beautiful for Gluten Free dinersGlutenfreejoyDined on 7/18/2014Circa 1922 has a beautiful gluten free menu for people with celiac disease. The food was wonderful and I did not have a reaction after eating. This speaks well for the wait and kitchen staff, many thanks to all who served us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceMikeDined on 7/16/2014The food was very well prepared and the service was stellar. I would recommend Circa 1922 to anyone.Special Features:
- Great evening out with friendscastlsVADined on 7/13/2014Beautiful restaurant located in the middle of everything. The service was impeccable and the food exceptional. Circa 1922 will stay on our short list of places to eat in Wilmington!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, can't wait to go back.JandVDined on 7/12/2014All of our food was excellent. My husband would have preferred the calamari to have less breading. We actually prefer it to not be breaded, but it was still good. The ceviche was great! We had the lamb shank with the ratatouille, which was excellent, and the scallops, were good, but were missing something...maybe a sauce of some sort. The au gratin potatoes were out of this world. The dessert was the coconut and chocolate sushi, it was wonderful, we both love coconut so it was a nice surprise. The wait staff was excellent, the ambiance was quite nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little noisy this timeCaliborneDined on 7/12/2014A large group was sitting both next to and behind us and until one of them left we could almost not hear each other talking. Our server was a little slow, but still good! The food was all delicious as usual but the best part was my perfect appletini!Special Features:
- Great dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/11/2014Had no clue where to find a great meal in Wilmington. Did a Google search and I must have looked at 15 websites. Interestingly enough the website did not impress me, but the pictures of the meals they served let me know it was our kind of place. Great atmosphere and cool vibe. Our meal was prepared to perfection and the crème Brule was one of the best I have ever had and an amazing portion on top of that! Told everyone about our experience. Looking forward to going back. They also have a gluten free menu (which they did not advertise) that made our choices easy because my traveling companion is gluten intolerant. Great find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional experienceTekkdDined on 7/6/2014I went on a double date with my room mate and our ladies here and we were all more than satisfied with our food and service. Our waitress easily answered all questions we had regarding wine and food. Our appetizer was on the table in less than 5 minutes and our entrees took less than 15 minutes. The food was incredible all around, my room mates salmon was one of the best I've had. For dessert we got the creme brûlée and wow were we not disappointed. It could have easily fed 6 people, it was huge! It was better than bonefish grills creme brûlée(I eat there a lot and always get it for dessert.) the presentation of the food was top notch and the ambience and mood of the restaurant was warm and romantic. Was a perfect choice for our double dateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AudiAudiVIPDined on 7/5/2014Always our #1 stop in Wilmington. The spinach salad is out of this world and the sushi is always good.Special Features:
- The waitOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/4/2014Reservation was for 7:15...not seated until 8:00 and we had to talk with the hostess several times. She kept saying they were cleaning our table right now....15 minutes later the same line. Once they said they had given our table away because we did not respond to a text they sent....there was no text. Very frustrating, yet excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine eats on the 4th of JulyAndrewMullenDined on 7/4/2014The place was hoppin' on the 4th, what with sweltering heat outside, and the cool, comfortable, darkish ambience inside. But the staff clicked with smiles and efficiency despite the crowds, and the salmon was delicious. I'm not sure if the noise level is usually as high as it was that night, but 20-foot ceilings and hard wood floors tend to make for loudness. They also provide an interesting and pleasing setting for dinner. Great place a block from the river and smack in the middle of historic downtown. Strongly recommend. (I'm stingy with stars.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who cares about reservationsRuchmrsptDined on 7/4/2014We sat 45 min after reservation time because they were so busy? Why have reservations. Service was extremely slow and no apology from anyone. Will not go back
- Exception food and servicePapabearDined on 7/2/2014Simply a great place for a nice meal. Friendly staff, imaginative but unpretentious food and a lovely ambience make this my go to restaurant in Wilmington. I strongly recommend the calamari with wasabi cream appetizer, and a piece of the chocolate cake (bring some to help, you can't put it all away on your own).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not disappointedTopperDined on 7/2/2014Wanted to show new neighbors some good dining in Wilmington. The food was very good, prices reasonable and service top notch.Special Features:
- DisappointingGrounded531Dined on 6/29/2014We had a group of 8, and at least four of us had food that was cool to cold. Seems it had been sitting on the counter a while before delivery. The food was presented beautifully with accents and swirls...so being cold, it diminished the flavors quite a bit. Very disappointing.Special Features:
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014We had an awesome dining experience. Every course was better than the last. Could not have been happier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.