8 N. Front St.
Wilmington, NC 28401Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.circa1922.com/
- Phone: (910) 762-1922
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Kyle McKnight
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private upstairs dining room accommodates up to 65 guests. May be utilized for either hors d'oeuvres receptions or sit-down dinners. Private parties are offered a 4-course limited menu. Customized menus are also available.
- Private Party Contact: Greg Lightcap 9107621922
- Entertainment: Live jazz piano standards Friday & Saturday evenings from 8:00pm - 11:00pm
- Cross Street: Market Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Market Street parking deck located directly behind Circa 1922. First hour is free, $1 for each additional hour. Special rates for weekday evenings. $5 after 9:00pm on weekends. On-street parking is free after 6:30pm and all day on Sundays.
A word from Circa 1922
Circa 1922 is home to tapas-style dining and wine bar in historic downtown Wilmington. Regionally-themed sharing platters are a popular new addition to the menu allowing guests to sample several tapas offerings. A 12-bottle custom cruvinet keeps our wines by the glass consistently fresh and true to taste or choose from an eclectic international selection of wines by the bottle. After-work tapas specials, weekly sushi specials and a 3-course prix Fixe menu make Circa 1922 a popular downtown destination.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Circa 1922 - Best Restaurants in Wilmington ›
Circa 1922 reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (63)special occasion (62)romantic (46)good for groups (43)neighborhood gem (41)notable wine list (30)hot spot (16)vibrant bar scene (16)great for outdoor dining (10)late-night find (8)great for brunch (5)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (4)Show More
- Nice but not blown awayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/21/2014The ambiance here is great, very quiet and romantic. They do have a pretty lengthy wine list and the waiter was able to suggest a very good white wine that complimented my dinner. The food was just ok in my opinionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow what a great wat to spend our anniversary!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014My wife and I made reservations for two the night of our wedding anniversary. From the minute we walked in we were made to feel special. The staff was amazing and friendly. Our waiter Bill was an outstanding server making food recommendations and answering any questions we had with charm. ( It was our first time ) The apple salad he recommended was 'TO DIE FOR". It was a great way to celebrate. I would highly recommend this place to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious specialsKatieP01uncDined on 11/1/2014The duck special was amazing. It was served with a butternut squash and pumpkin puree. The bread pudding at dessert was also really good.Special Features:
- Excellent overall experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014We had a wonderful experience at Circa 1922. Our waitress was perfect, very knowledgeable and attentive. The food was delicious, very well prepared and presentation was amazing. The duck pastrami was the best duck that I have ever had. We could not have asked for a better night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When in downtown Wilmington...PickyDinerDined on 11/1/2014Circa 1922 never disappoints. The food is consistently delicious, the ambiance inviting and elevated by the pianist at the grand, ultra-pro service and although a somewhat cavernous if attractive space, surprisingly intimate. Don't leave without trying one of the "mini" desserts.Special Features:
- Food and Service GreatMmmflavorsVIPDined on 10/24/2014From the moment we walked in the staff was friendly and accommodating. We ordered the calamari and a greens salad to start. The calamari was very good with ginger wasbi, very creative and tasty. For our main courses the accommodated a avocado only sushi roll for the 6 year-old, the sea bass was fantastic as was the spinach gnocchi. Prices were reasonable and the plate sizes were perfect, not overwhelming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DejavujoyDined on 10/18/2014We dine here fairly often, always dependable. Perfect location for a theater night.Special Features:
- Tasty - Tuesday Sushi NightsarafaekVIPDined on 10/14/2014Loved our Tuesday Sushi night dinner complete with 6 rolls, two we loved so much were duplicates. The lobster roll and tuna trio are a must try. Look forwrad to experiencing the small plates next time and enjoying an evening sitting outdoors. Nice indoor decor and fresh seafood. Thank you!Special Features:
- Great food and serviceBeenThereAteThatDined on 10/14/2014We had a mid week dinner here that was quite good. The food and service were notable. The only detractor was how close together the tables are toward the back of the restaurant. As a result, we were subjected to another table's conversation that was disturbing at best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful serviceTiffanyDined on 10/12/2014My husband and I dined here for our anniversary. Our server was very knowledgeable and attentive to us. We had the escargot to start with, which was wonderful. One reason we chose this restaurant was because on their online menu they served monkfish which my husband really wanted to try. When we arrived we did not see it on the menu and were informed that they have issue with their online menu being updated. The service recommend the snapper instead which was amazing. I ordered off of the prix fixe menu which came with a salad, entrée and dessert. I had the chicken orecchiette which was a little heavy for my taste. The key lime pie was amazing and my husband loved their black and white cake. Great atmosphere for a romantic night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the declinePartyof5Dined on 10/11/2014Food quality has decreased, measurably. Service was fine.Special Features:
- DisappointedMattyMaillardDined on 10/11/2014Upon the recommendation of friends, we tried Circa 1922. The downtown scene was vibrant; old buildings with a new hip vibe. Circa was no exception. If the decor was any indication of our dining experience, we were in for a treat. It was most decidedly not. You know when the best part of your meal is the cheese it wasn't a great night. Someone needs to inform the kitchen that onion is only served raw on salads! (Exaggeration for effect) But I really couldn't believe how much onion was in my dish! I think the quail was stuffed with apple, but I really don't know because all I tasted was onion. My wife's filet was overlooked, and the Mac and cheese could have been awesome, but the raw onion again overpowered everything.
- Awesome restaurantIrenDined on 10/11/2014This is my number "1" restaurant. Food is absolutely delicious and service is perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RebeccaDined on 10/10/2014We discovered this restaurant last year when we made our annual trek to the beach to visit friends and family. More sophisticated menu and ambience than most of Wilmington's restaurants. But like most restaurants these days, it is way too noisy, especially when the group includes older people who are hard of hearing. But we went earlier this year before it got too busy, so that helped a bit. Fun surroundings... my grandfather worked in the building during the Depression when it was an office supply store! My uncle always tells us about when he, my father, and their brothers would walk downtown with my grandmother to meet my grandfather after work on Saturdays, and pick him up to go to the Bijou theater to watch the latest Western.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014We had a very nice dining experience. Good food, great service and liked the prefixed price menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good time!IrisheyesDined on 10/4/2014We had a very nice dinner with family and it was our first trip to the restaurant. We enjoyed the piano music even though it was a little loud at times. The bacon wrapped chicken was good but could have been served at a hotter temperature...it was served warm not hot like I prefer. Overall we had a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas on Front stGeorodncDined on 10/4/2014We were in the mood for Tapas as we were searching for something light as the day got from us. The menu was just right, the service was good considering we were sitting on an outside table, people watching.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Food is always good. Our server was outstanding. He was attentive without being overbearing and funny. He recommended items based on our preferences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Circa 1922HighClassDinerDined on 10/2/2014We go to Circa 1922 every time we come to Wilmington. Wait staff is excellent, ambiance is excellent, and the food is beyond delicious. Menu says "small plates," but the portions are all you can eat! Being able to make reservations online and get immediate confirmation is a real plus. Used OpenTable again the next night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never disappointsjillybeanDined on 9/29/2014My husband and I have been to Circa many times, most recently for a 41st wedding anniversary. In all the times we've been there we have never been disappointed, the food and service are excellent. We highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nicelibrarygirlftwDined on 9/27/2014New in town and wanted to take my parents out when they came to visit. The food was delicious and fairly priced. I did not care for the "Hibiscus Margharita" because it tasted solely of tequila and sugar and not so much of the flower. Also, not that the establishment could help it but there was a very loud and obnoxious toddler causing chaos at the table next to us and that took away from the overall experience. This restaurant is NOT kid-friendly, especially if those kids cannot sit quietly at a table. It was pretty loud but we sat upstairs away from the majority of the noise. But over all, all of my family enjoyed their food and the ambiance and I will be returning next time for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Downtown gem!MLB10SDined on 9/22/2014We had a group of 8 that had a wonderful experience at Circa 1922! From our waiter to the drinks to the delicious food, it was first class! We all ordered various dishes but the Chicken Orrichiette from the Prix Fixe menu was wonderful! Also the sangria was great! We originally booked our reservation for 6 but added 2 more and this was no problem! Would definitely eat here again and highly recommend it to my friends! Loved the decor and it reminded me of a place in New York called Josephine's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful dining experiencedeblynDined on 9/21/2014excellent food - great service - quiet, relaxed atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative MenuETNC1Dined on 9/20/2014Excellent food! Imaginative menu! Short ribs were outstanding, Shrimp & Grits melted in your mouth! Bread pudding memorable! Great service!Special Features:
- Poor foodDpk1991Dined on 9/20/2014Both the paella and lamb chop were very bland and average at the least.Special Features:
- Wilmington's Circa 1922 is amazing!AmazingDined on 9/19/2014The atmosphere, food/wine and service were 2 thumbs up!! I highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always an amazing meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014Brought my brother here for his birthday and the food and wine were amazing! Service from Sarah was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding experiencezoidmealsDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I were in Wilmington for an early anniversary weekend. My wife had eaten at Circa 1922 before but I hadn't. Everything was excellent. We were congratulated on our anniversary at check-in and were treated very well. Our waiter, Kilby was very good and the food was everything I had been told. Both entrees were fabulous (bacon wrapped chicken and braised lamb shank) as were the side dishes. I cannot think of anything that I did not enjoy. Look forward to coming again!Special Features:
- A pleasant surprisemarxpixDined on 9/13/2014We were visiting Wilimington for the first time and after doing some online research decided upon Circa 1922. A great atmosphere with fine food ( we did a variety of tapas with a Caesar salad. Wine selection was great as was the service.Special Features:
- Great food, lovely ambianceSouthernerAtHeartDined on 9/12/2014This is our second dining experience at Circa 1922. Last time, I tried the salmon and it was very good. This time, I went for the hangar steak and was pleasantly surprised at the portion size and thickness of the meat. Don't be fooled by the "small plates" menu. These are full-sized entrees that are proportioned for humans - not giants like some restaurants. I'm all about a good value but I just don't need a 20 oz. portion of anything (except maybe wine :) We had a very good server, almost great. The 2nd floor was pretty empty and he could've been "a little" more present but who knows, he may have had a crazy table downstairs or something. We never went wanting for anything for long. This is where we bring our visitors for out of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nicefoodieeDined on 9/6/2014My group loved the ambience except the piano was a bit loud. The food was excellent. Be warned...The colossal Creme Brule is colossal! Not for one person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most Delightful Experience of VisitReviews2shareDined on 9/6/2014Several years ago we visited Circa 1922 by chance and vowed to return. Our visit this trip was the most delightful experience of a birthday visit to Wilmington, NC. Just as we remembered, the starters, entrees, drinks, and desserts were fabulous ... the wait staff helpful, mature, professional, fun, and knowledgeable. We were happy to see the same level of delicious food and service had been maintained. Enjoyed a wonderful hibiscus margarita, great beer and wine, a mix of tapas, perfect red snapper served with Fava beans, lobster nage, squid ink noodle, and paella. The Spanish-nod décor with polished dark wood, brick walls, and large canvases depicting diners from another era enjoying their evening out creates a memorable ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NanaeatsoutDined on 9/6/2014As always, Circa was fabulous. We had tickets for the theater at eight, and our wait staff made sure we were served and out on time for the show. We had tapas and drinks. The calamari at Circa is the best we in town and we always return for more.Special Features:
- Wilmington, NC FavoriteMegaFoodieDined on 9/5/2014Circa 1922 has been one of our favorite restaurants for many years. The service is outstanding, and seating is very comfortable and semi-private. They recently renovated their main dining room, enlarging it by eliminating their pub seating in the bar area. Now it's even better. They are always changing their menu which is great for foodies who like to try new things. There wine list is very good and always has interesting selections. My favorite dessert is a Crepes Grand Marnier. DELICIOUS!!!Special Features:
- wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014from the online reservation process to the dessert all was a truly enjoyable dinner. Would highly recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Vibrant and TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/1/2014Sat outside, which have it an Urban feel. Prior visit we ate inside about 2-3 years ago.??Food was prepared nicely, inventive GF options that hit the spot. Enjoyed a Rose and the occasional homeless/interesting person that came by. The GF Almond Joy cake might be the best desert we've had, well worth a trip...though pricey the food was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always an enjoyable night!GaPeachDined on 8/26/2014We've been here several times. Very good in every category!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alane PritchardNewtoNorthCarolinaDined on 8/22/2014Took our out of state guests here for a greater than great dinner! We have been here before and knew that no one would be disappointed! Circa is always great. Never had a bad meal there! Would highly recommend!Special Features:
- Wonderful Experiencetss818Dined on 8/18/2014Our family ate dinner here while on vacation and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was recommended to us by a friend who frequently visits Wilmington. I had shrimp and grits, my daughter had the filet mignon, and my husband had the fixed price menu and chose skirt steak. Everything was well prepared and delicious. Our waiter was excellent and recommended wines that paired nicely with our meals. The creme brulee was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RaccoonsDined on 8/17/2014Enjoyed our first visit to Circa 1922. We had an early dinner (6pm) following a Sunday matinee performance at Thalian Hall. We called an hour+ before our reservation time to let them know we would be 20-30 minutes late due to longer than expected performance. We arrived 20 minutes after the original reservation time and were seated at a table next to a wait staff service station....not the most desirable location when restaurant was less than 1/3 full (we did not ask to be re-seated) Nice , but smaller, wine selection and interesting selection of small plate starters and entrees. On Sun-Thurs nights a 3 course prix fixe meal is offered for $21.95 which was good value. Food and food were both good but not fabulous.