149 Wentworth St.
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.circa1886.com/
- Phone: 8438537828
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern
- Executive Chef: Marc Collins
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
A word from Circa 1886
Chef Marc Collins draws inspiration from many cuisines around the world to create a menu that is truly unique to the Charleston restaurant scene. Drawing inspiration from historic Southern dishes and always highlighting what is local and in season, Chef Collins puts a healthful, distinctive spin on classic Lowcountry dishes. This means there is less butter and cream than typically seen on Southern menus. Whole grains are incorporated to dishes and ingredients are used at the peak of flavor. The result is satisfying dishes that retain their bright, bold flavors without the large amounts of fat found in many restaurant dishes. From our Plantation Rice Bread Rolls made in house daily, to the selection of local seafood, to Pastry Chef Lovorn’s incredible desserts, each dinner at Circa 1886 celebrates the region we call home. Let our professional, attentive, experienced and knowledgeable staff guide you through the menu and help select a wine that is a perfect pairing for food and budget.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Circa 1886 - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Circa 1886 reviews from OpenTable diners
215 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (173)special occasion (173)fit for foodies (155)notable wine list (94)neighborhood gem (60)good for groups (12)scenic view (10)great for outdoor dining (8)hot spot (7)late-night find (5)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (3)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Happy AnniversarydoIhavetoVIPDined on 10/28/2014We were treated to a delightful anniversary dinner. Most enjoyable was the Smoked Trout & Parsnip Flan appetizer. Also, our entrees of beef tenderloin and duck breast were "Goldilocks" portion -- not too big, not too small but just right. We always enjoy our dinners at Circa 1886 and will get there at least once a quarter.Special Features:
- Charleston ClassicPoodleDined on 10/27/2014We were treated as special guests from our entry to our exit. The servers were outstanding and very helpful in describing the appetizers, entrees and desserts. We had the fried green tomatoes appetizer, the duck and the veal entrees and the pear crisp soufflé. All of the food was beautifully plated and tasted superb. We live in Jacksonville, FL and always make a reservation for Circa 1886 whenever we are in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/27/2014This may just be the best restaurant I've ever eaten at - including top restaurants in New York City, Washington, Paris, etc. The chef is a master with food. Ever bite was a joyful surprise to my senses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/27/2014Crepe served cold, slow service, poached salmon weird. They tried too hard to make unusual pairings of tastes that did not workSpecial Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Went there for our 10 year anniversary and it was perfect. The waiter was very knowledgeable and the table was nice and private. The chef even wrote happy anniversary on our dessert. The food was fantastic and the portions were just right. The timing of the courses was just right too. It really gave is time to talk and enjoy the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- judesterVIPDined on 10/23/2014So glad ve visited this restaurant while in Charleston on vacation. It was aperfect ending to our lastnight in Charleston. Food was superb and service was excellent. Dining was a experiencenot just a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Exquisite Dining ExperienceSCFoodieDined on 10/23/2014Fine dining at its best! Delicious food creations are beautifully and artfully presented with completely attentive service! Set in the old carriage house of the Wentworth Mansion, the atmosphere is simple and beautiful. An outstanding dining experience in Charleston, SC!Special Features:
- DavenJanDined on 10/23/2014Circa 1886 is perfect for a special occasion. We enjoyed a wonderful anniversary dinner. Service and food was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old world charmOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/22/2014A bit hard to find the first time (The old carriage house behind the mansion), but this restaurant exceeded our expectations. The food, wine & desert were all incredible. We will be back to this spot on our next trip to Charleston.Special Features:
- Magnificent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014Best restaurant in Charleston, SC. Dined here on my wedding night after eloping in Charleston. Best food and excellent service. Can't wait to return on our anniversary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous RestaurantHoosierLady1Dined on 10/20/2014Everything about this restaurant is first class. Excellent waiters, delicious food, lovely dining room. Well worth the visit!Special Features:
- Great service, atmosphere & food.AdventureInDiningDined on 10/18/2014Only complaint was that main entrees were a bit cool on arrival. Manhattan/Mojito cocktails, and prosecco wine were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014We will be back. Our visit was wonderful in everyway!Special Features:
- Great food but ...EastcoastgirlDined on 10/17/2014Great food but my husband and I both found this spot old and tired feeling (and we are in our 60s.) There are so many great restaurants in Charleston, and this is one of them, but I wouldn't go there again next time we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014We were a party of six. Service was attentive but not overbearing. We had special dietary restrictions that were already contemplated and dealt with perfectly. The food was outstanding and we really had a great time. We would recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014The ambiance is terrific..especially if you are in one of the 3-4 booths...food is excellent and waitstaff professional...barkeep knew his drinks and very friendly and accomadating...a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fine dining experience!Lucky1VIPDined on 10/16/2014Romantic setting in an elegant dining room. Creative menu and beautiful presentation. Impeccable service. The tenderloin melted in your mouth; best lobster tail ever-- and don't miss the croissant donuts..indescribable. It was a meal we will always remember! Don't miss it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceTennesseeChemistDined on 10/16/2014Discovered this restaurant by accident. Wish I would have found it sooner. Service was excellent, surroundings were outstanding, and the food was top notch. Very creative dishes. I chose the antelope medallions and they were succulent. Prepared perfectly and presented well. My date decided to try the lobster tail which was prepared in a totally unique fashion. Somehow the chef manages to infuse the lobster with a citrus butter preparation that was really great (no need for added butter.) Definitely will dine here again. As a side note, the restaurant is in the former carriage house of a mansion that is now a B&B. Diners are invited to visit the mansion and view the city from its cuppula , the highest point in the city in 1866.Special Features:
- ChadDined on 10/15/2014We've eaten here several times and have never been disappointed . Thank you for a lovely and delicious evening.Special Features:
- charlieDined on 10/14/2014This is a gourmets dream! The food is superb and the service is excellent. Can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A home run for this KC couplegoroyalsDined on 10/13/2014The appitizer with fried green tomato was fantastic! The chef sent us a collard green with ginger soup that was off the chart! The lobster tail with crab cake and the flounder were amazing as well as the croissant donut dessert! I would order the same meal again! We have eaten all over the world and this meal tied with our best dinner ever for food, ambiance and service. This historical beauty is a "must do again" the next time we visit Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingRegularVIPDined on 10/13/2014Outstanding in every way: food was amazing and service was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsAndyDined on 10/13/2014The expectation was very high and as in the past the delivery was every bit as high. Food, service and ambiance make this our favorite "special occasion" restaurant. Menu is very imaginative and the preparation is always at the highest level of quality. Don't miss a chance to go!Special Features:
- Great overall experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/10/2014This was one of the best restaurants I've been to downtown, and that's a looong list of placesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- must dine herejoyceDined on 10/7/2014even though i was intimidated by the menu- so many flavors together- the dishes were prepared with great skill to marry the ingredients and i really enjoyed my duck dish. the chef was able to honor my requests for just a pinch of customization.Special Features:
- Great Chef's menuPolarBearDined on 10/6/2014We had the chef's menu with wine pairings. Excellent meal with nice wine pairings. Wonderful descriptions of wine and food as served. Friendly service. Wish it was near where I lived so I could make it back more often.Special Features:
- Made our anniversary specialCavalierdinerDined on 10/6/2014This restaurant is a gem. The service is impeccable and the menu creative and delicious from start to finish. Its reputation is well deserved. I had advised them that it was our anniversary: the menu came printed with Happy Anniversary on top. The desert had Happy Anniversary on the plate in chocolate script.Special Features:
- Queen of Charleston2togoVIPDined on 10/3/2014A bit away from the downtown area, but worth the effort. This should be a "go to" dining destination for any visitors to Charleston, or residents for that matter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentchsfoodieVIPDined on 10/3/2014My husband and I chose Circa 1886 for a romantic evening out. The service was impeccable and the food and wine were absolutely delicious. I had the beef tenderloin and he had the cast iron lamb. Both were outstanding, but a warning that the portions are small. We may have ordered starters had we realized. We took the waiter's recommendation and pre-ordered dessert - whatever you do, do not skip dessert. We split the S'mores and it was one of the best things I've ever eaten. All in all, a fabulous meal in a romantic setting. We highly recommend it!Special Features:
- AwesomeAwesomeDined on 10/3/2014The food was extremely flavorful- great unique taste. Had to ask to reread the menu to find out what was in the awesome good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Chef prepared CuisinesendlimesDined on 10/2/2014The food was wonderful. The menu was unique and interesting. Everything looked delicious. Our food did disappoint! It is expensive but worth a visit for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Exactly What We Were Looking For!DietitianDinerDined on 9/27/2014Circa is just exactly what we were looking for to celebrate the 1st night of our 1-Yr. Anniversary Trip to Charleston. The quaint and super private location behind the Wentworth Mansion, just down from the College of Charleston Campus was just incredible. Once we got inside for our reservation, we were shown quickly to our perfect booth and then it just got better from there. It is definitely one of the best service experiences I have ever had; the GM was even hustling to make sure the table setups were perfect. The wine was affordable, the menu was diverse and delectable, and the beignet dessert was just incredible! We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and under deliveringJohnDined on 9/26/2014Portions are sized as if you are doing a degustation menu of 6 courses...even when you are not. Veal chop was small and way over cooked. Crème Brulee was not browned to order (cold all the way through). Crazy high prices for quality. Old school dining room nice for older clientele.
- Excellent!jrosso4Dined on 9/26/2014We had a great meal! Great Service! We split an appetizer and two entrees and the split everything in the kitchen and the plates looked great. Outstanding.Special Features:
- Outstanding restaurantSFTravelerDined on 9/25/2014Circa 1886 is definitely one of the best restaurants, if not the best restaurant, in Charleston. The food was impeccably prepared. The service was excellent. We had an issue with the wine we ordered (not corked, but perhaps exposed to heat), the restaurant took it back without any questions and we ordered another wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceLizzarddDined on 9/25/2014The food was wonderful. Antelope and lobster were both great. Had Shrimp and grits for breakfast and it was fabulous. Service great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous dining experienceJMyersDined on 9/24/2014To try something new in Charleston, we made a reservation at Circa 1886. Tucked in behind the Wentworth House, the setting is very picturesque. The interior of the carriage house is impeccable, spacious and warm, with an intimate bar at the entry. Samantha, Charles and Chelsea could not have been more accommodating and professional and we felt totally welcome. The menu changes seasonally and our food, the lobster tail/crab cakes and the tenderloin, was spectacular. The deserts are not to be missed; we tried the croissant donuts and the pear soufflé. Forget dinner - just go for the desserts. This is our new favorite place. After five, there's complimentary parking in a lot across the street, which is no small perk in Charleston.Special Features:
- DiscordantasherVIPDined on 9/22/2014If you are looking for a show of beautiful architecture, the Wentworth and the associated buildings are for you. If it is the food channel you are tuned into, then "chopped" is the word. The menu and the food offerings are obviously intended to be creative. However, there is good creative and then there is bad. This is bad. Little on the menu is classic. The bulk of the offerings are are a collision of discordant flavors and textures. The potato salad and the foamy pea carrot appetizers need to be avoided. In general it is analogous to a chemistry experiment gone bad. The desserts are the bright spots in the disappointing fare.
- LindacrazystylistDined on 9/20/2014Second time going to circa 1886 loved the Chef onion soup and the three course restaurant week menu! Highly recomnend this restaurant at any time.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerScumptiousDined on 9/20/2014Me and my husband went to Circa 1886 to celebrate our 23rd Wedding Anniversary. The food was very good, we would definitely return.Special Features: