149 Wentworth St.
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.circa1886.com/
- Phone: (843) 853-7828
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern
- Executive Chef: Marc Collins
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
A word from Circa 1886
Chef Marc Collins draws inspiration from many cuisines around the world to create a menu that is truly unique to the Charleston restaurant scene. Drawing inspiration from historic Southern dishes and always highlighting what is local and in season, Chef Collins puts a healthful, distinctive spin on classic Lowcountry dishes. This means there is less butter and cream than typically seen on Southern menus. Whole grains are incorporated to dishes and ingredients are used at the peak of flavor. The result is satisfying dishes that retain their bright, bold flavors without the large amounts of fat found in many restaurant dishes. From our Plantation Rice Bread Rolls made in house daily, to the selection of local seafood, to Pastry Chef Lovorn’s incredible desserts, each dinner at Circa 1886 celebrates the region we call home. Let our professional, attentive, experienced and knowledgeable staff guide you through the menu and help select a wine that is a perfect pairing for food and budget.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Circa 1886 - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Circa 1886 reviews from OpenTable diners
239 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (193)romantic (185)fit for foodies (175)notable wine list (104)neighborhood gem (67)good for groups (14)scenic view (11)hot spot (11)late-night find (8)great for outdoor dining (6)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Lovely romantic placeNewleywedsforeverDined on 9/16/2014Very romantic and special place, the waiter was very animated to which it did make us laugh a little. The food was superb, we did the tasting menu with the wine pairing. We did get in and out very quickly so probably should have savoured it a little more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic qualitySDDanielDined on 9/16/2014Had the good fortune of dining during Restaurant Week. Meal was appetizer, main and dessert. Each choice was tasty, perfectly prepared and presented. The portobello had unique sides and all were so tasty. Chicken-fried halibut was excellent.Special Features:
- Dining in grand stylestarmcDined on 9/16/2014Celebrated a wonderful anniversary dinner here while in Charleston. Restaurant is charming, entering through a garden portico. While the meal was tasteful, I regretted that the chef had elected to extend his Restaurant Week menu which limited our selections. My husband enjoyed the halibut but for me 'a pork chop is a pork chop, etc'. I prefer being 'wowed' by a special meal that shows more imagination. The flourless chocolate cake dessert over compensated for that with Happy Anniversary written in chocolate sauce on each of our platings. I would definitely return when the more eclectic menu is available.Special Features:
- Perfect in every wayOhioVIPDined on 9/16/2014Wonderful food and splendid service. Charming ambience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/16/2014It was pouring rain that evening but once inside it was a wonderful escape of serene calm. It was restaurant week so the menu was soemwhat limited. the chef send out of celery soup was bright and rich. A crepe was a combo of chicken parts and mild sauce that melted on the tongue while the escargot received raves. Halibut, trout and pork chop entrees all offered with various sides of grits, vegetables and potatoes were all devoured and all the presentations were beautiful works of art. Creme brulee, chocolate cake and pear souffle finished our meal. The pear souffle was voted the "best" dessert. It was light, airy and the pear taste with the creme anglaise was a vperfect finish. Very romantic dining space. Service gracious. would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable eveningAnneDined on 9/16/2014The food and wine pairing made for a most memorable evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restaurantInmanparkfoodiesVIPDined on 9/13/2014It was restaurant week and we were visiting charleston. This had openings. We were surprised to be underdressed in jeans and nice tops. Also they add 20% gratuity to any bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisitesherrybethVIPDined on 9/13/2014The food, the service, the atmosphere was perfect. A thoroughly delightful meal. Taking a peak inside the Wentworth mansion is a treat although the restaurant is in the former carriage house. We attended restaurant week so had the three course meal. Every course was excellent. Portions were generous but not too large. We had heirloom tomato salad and escargot as starters, halibut and the pork chop for entrees and finished the meal with the flourless chocolate cake and creme brulee for dessert, a perfect ending to the meal. Oh yes, the chef provided a bonus at the very beginning of green gazpacho which was tasty and refreshing. This is a definite return venue for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded ExpectationsChasDinerDined on 9/13/2014Circa 1886 far exceeded our expectations for dinner this weekend. The food quality was well above several other "fine dining" restaurants. The noise level was perfect to have a nice conversation without having to raise our voices. The friendly staff topped off the experience. We will definitely be frequenting this restaurant. Very enjoyable!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I will returnQBarrDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I visited for restaurant week and it was awesome. However, the only hiccup was the appetizer. My husband wasn't particularly fond of the salmon flan, and wasn't crazy about my escargo kebab. Other than that the lamb was amazing and so was the desert was spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- resturant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014offerings were terrific as was our waiter. Beware the driks will kill you financially. Food bill was as expected but add a cocktail and a bottle of wine and our bill quickly doubled. Also the resturant added the gratuity which although I am a generous tipper leaves a bad tast. Not a cheap night can't imagine how expensive it would be off the regular menue. just too expensive won't go back.Special Features:
- MTOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014The food was very good. Make sure you are seated in the main dining room, as the back room is drab.Special Features:
- JudyDined on 9/11/2014We went for Restaurant Week and dinner was perfect! We had a nice booth and the waiter was excellent. This is one of our favorite restaurants in Charleston. The food was outstanding and the ambience was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ecdoesitDined on 9/10/2014We came in from out of town and had booked our reservation about 2 months prior. It just happened to be during the Restaurant Week in Charleston. At the time of booking I asked that a booth be reserved. I had forgotten that I had made that request and was plesantly surprised when they sat us in the booth. Fantastic 3 course meal with excellent wine pairings made for a really fine night.Special Features:
- Always looking forward to Circa!!!5dayweekendDined on 9/10/2014This was the restaurant our son wanted to go to for his 16th Birthday! Circa is a proven a leader for consistant quality and craftmanship in the culinary world!!! I have never seen anything twice in 12 years of dining. A statement of mastery for the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!!!ordinaryJoeDined on 9/9/2014We ate at 4 of the top rated restaurants in Charleston. Circa 1886 was the best!!!!Special Features:
- Restaurant Week Menu not SkimpyFoozleDined on 9/9/2014Great food, excellent service (Ryan) and a lovely atmosphere highlighted our visit. Most items on the Restaurant Week menu are on the current (or Fall) menu. Highlights included a chicken-fried halibut and a superb pear souffle. Short ribs at another table smelled great, but we could only sample so many things.Special Features:
- DisappointedMinaDined on 9/8/2014We visited during Restaurant Week. We both chose the Heirloom tomato appetizer. It was not memorable. My partner chose the Rainbow Trout which was a better choice than my breaded halibut. The fish was cooked perfectly, but the accompanying vegetables that were on the plate were uninspired and the Carolina Gold rice could have been seasoned more. The two desserts, the pear soufflé and a flourless chocolate cake, were the highlights of our meal. The wine pairings for each course were appropriate and indicated a large inventory of wines. The service was ho-hum. Overall we were disappointed after all of the advance reviews that led us to believe we would be in for a spectacular experience.Special Features:
- Check your bill - overchargedMoldyDined on 9/8/2014We went for restaurant week for $40 person. Wrong appetizers were brought to the table 1st and we were told to go ahead and eat these and then they brought the correct appetizers. When we received our bill we asked to have it divided in 3 and then they tried to charge an additional $25.00 per couple. We were told it was a computer glich? Luckily we caught the error before we left. However...the next day we found that we had to contact the restaurant because they charge some of us twice for our meals...eventhough they said they credited our accounts. Not impressed!!!!! Food was okay but not spectacular for the money! We had to wait for a long time in between the courses and we had to wait along time to get the bills resolved.Special Features:
- Never disappoints.CharlestonArtistDined on 9/8/2014This is one consistently-good restaurant! We love the whole idea of it being the carriage house to the Wentworth Inn. Also love the onsite parking although space is limited to a degree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once a quarterdoIhavetoVIPDined on 9/8/2014It has been 3 1/2 years since we were last at Circa 1886 and now that we have moved to Charleston we must dine there once a quarter. We enjoyed scrumptious salads; tremendous trout and delicious desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Best!AdventuesomecoupleDined on 9/8/2014We were with 2 other couples and everyone thoroughly enjoyed all the courses presented for Restaurant Week. Most impressive was the escargot appetizer, lamb entrée and the crème brulee. The pastry chef is to be complimented for presentation and outstanding taste.Special Features:
- One of Charleston's best!mloxDined on 9/6/2014Ate here on our recent trip to Charleston. Truly one of the best restaurants I have ever eaten at. Food was outstanding. It's a little pricy, but worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewimalocalDined on 9/6/2014Went during Restaurant Week and was surprised by the number of choices on the menu ... far superior to most other places during RW. Food was delicious as were the wine pairings. Service was impeccable. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- where to spend a special eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014We have come here several times. The food is always wonderful and fresh,the wine pairing well done, the service could not be better and the ambiance is classic/comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnVIPDined on 9/6/2014Every time we have visited Circa 1886, the meal has been exceptional. This was no different--each course was superb, the wine pairings provided a perfect complement to the meal, and, unlike some restaurants in Restaurant week, you got great value. My wife loved her haddock, and the taste she gave me was very good. She did not care for my lamb with lentils, but I thought it was one of the best dishes I have ever had. This highlights the variety Circa 1886 provides in its Restaurant Week menu.Special Features:
- Luv2eatLuv2eatDined on 9/6/2014On the top of the list, should be 1st choice for in charleston s.c.Special Features:
- Great, all arounddoggybagDined on 9/6/2014A restaurant week pick, was impressed from hostess to bartender, to server, and most importantly, the food. Chicken crepe and escargot kabobs apps, chicken fried halibut and lamb loin entrees, creme brulee and pear souflee desserts were all perfect. Great wines (the Malbec they served by the glass is very nice). Very impressive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the absolute bestDaveVIPDined on 9/5/2014A fantastic restaurant, part of the best romantic hotel in the South! Excellent service, excellent food, nice wine list that isn't too expensive the quality either. Don't forget to check out their breakfast either - amazing including the fresh pastries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpeccableCarolineCHSDined on 9/5/2014We wanted to try somewhere special during Charleston Restaurant week, and Circa 1886 exceeded all expectations. I work in the service industry and understand the challenges and frustrations Restaurant Week can bring, but they did such an incredible job of providing a top-notch experience. Everything was impeccable. The chef obviously puts a tremendous amount of thought into the menu and the food was delicious. I highly recommend adding the wine pairing with each course (3 full glass pours for only $25 more). Thank you for a great Restaurant Week experience, Circa 1886! I will definitely be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch!Travel2dineVIPDined on 9/5/2014My boyfriend and I had the most romantic experience here! John the bartender started our night out wonderfully. We enjoyed speaking with him while he made us a Mansion Mule. We loved it. The short ribs are sublime and the flour less chocolate cake was out of this world! We enjoyed speaking with the couples at the tables near us. We all had such a wonderful experience and a marvelous evening! Very memorable!Special Features:
- Absolutely 5 StarLuckyVIPDined on 9/4/2014This was one of our finest dining experiences. Food was impressive, service impeccable. We were in town for restaurant week and chose to do wine pairings with our 3 course meal. They were the best I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Circa 1886HawaiiRNDined on 9/4/2014In one word dinner was spectacular. It begins with a walk toward the restaurant through the courtyard, under the portico where you see a beautiful small garden and twinkling lights. The welcoming atmosphere starts at the front door, continues through to the small bar with a delightful bartender. We dined as a group for Restaurant week in Charleston and due to the size of our group we were in the garden room which further enhanced the feeling of fine dining in someone's home. The food was exquisite, the service impeccable and it was with some reluctance we left. Several of the group voiced that it was the "best meal" they had eaten in Charleston. We will be back and you should go if you haven't been.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous pairingsquincycoupleDined on 9/4/2014We lucked out being in Charleston during Restaurant Week. The 3 course meal with wine was incredible. We loved it so much Thursday we got on the waiting list for Saturday. We are thrilled to be able to come back and try some other entries and appetizers and bring another couple. I would recommend Chef Marc's creations to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Remains one of the bestLoveTheSeaDined on 9/4/2014Their menu is always changing and somehow always improving. Every time my wife and I go there it hits a new high. I have no idea how the chef keeps getting better as they already start at such a high level but the food is always incredible.Special Features:
- Perfect eveningLEndicottDined on 9/3/2014Everything about the experience exceeded our expectations. The venue is charming and romantic and the property it sits on is insanely beautiful and historic. Our waiter Charles was fantastic. From start to finish the meal was amazing. We were so excited to have chosen such a perfect place for the first night of Charleston restaurant week. We will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!FoodFanDined on 9/3/2014They have such imaginative food choices making dinner here an event!Special Features:
- Perfect eveningMimesDined on 8/30/2014We love this restaurant. Wonderful food and excellent service in a cozy, warm atmosphere. The outdoor patio is great for cocktails - weather permitting. The inside bar is small, but works. Our meal was delicious - and the service outstanding. In a city full of great restaurants, this is still a special find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in Charleston, SCBrianBDined on 8/29/2014We dined at Circa 1886 on a Friday evening and had the wine pairing tasting menu. The menu is not overly large but has good variety with some local color. The food was all from the menu and excellent. Our main courses were trout and antelope. Wine pairings worked beautifully. Restaurant was busy but you didn't feel crowded. Service was attentive but not overly so. The setting for the restaurant is in an old home back off the street. Couldn't have been nicer. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding and historicWolfpackFoodieDined on 8/29/2014The restaurant used to be in the carriage house of the Wentworth Mansion....such charm and the food was AMAZING. Some of the best foie gras I've ever had and the service was wonderful. Met our full expectations!Special Features: