48 Whitaker Street.
Savannah, GA 31401Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.circa1875.com/
- Phone: (912) 443-1875
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner nightly: 6:00pm - 10:00pm Monday - Thursday
6:00 - 11:00 Friday - Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Circa 1875
Circa 1875 is a historic little gem in downtown Savannah, where the melodic tunes of classic Jazz and standards are always accenting the atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Circa 1875 - Best Restaurants in Savannah ›
Circa 1875 reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (57)romantic (49)special occasion (48)neighborhood gem (46)notable wine list (36)vibrant bar scene (21)late-night find (10)hot spot (7)good for groups (3)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Loved it!GAladyDined on 11/19/2014We went to Circa for my husband's birthday. We had heard that it is very good and we were not disappointed.The staff was friendly and our server made good recommendations upon request. She was very knowledgeable of the food and wine. The bread was so good that I couldn't hold back - and there were 3 different kinds, so I stuffed myself. But my main course, a special of acorn squash stuffed with sausage and cheese, was also so delicious that I ate it all. My husband had the cassoulet and loved it. Then he had his all time favorite dessert - creme broulet - and declared it one of the best ever. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local dining delightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014Lovely evening at circa 1875. Hostess accommodated our request and moved us to a more desirable spot away from our original table at the drafty, chilly entrance. Entre choices -- steak, cassoulet, salmon, Chicken liver, beet salad were enjoyed by all four in our party. Waitress was very professional -- attentive but not pestering -- and very pleasant. Would return in a flash and would definitely recommend it to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good food and serviceDinnerfor2Dined on 11/11/2014As locals, Circa 1875 is a favorite "go to" spot in town when we want to be assured of professional service and consistently good food. Their mussels and fries are the best we've had outside France!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great feelOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014We were part of a group of 7 that enjoyed Circa 1875 the night following the Savannah half marathon. Everyone enjoyed their food. The feeling of the restaurant was great, and our group had no trouble talking and being heard. The service was top notch and the price was reasonable. I would highly recommend .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It really feels like France!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/8/2014The inside of this restaurant is very well decorated and the dark tones make it feel like you are dining at some bistro in Paris. My wife was pleased with the pork chop ("Cote de Porc Charcutiere") and I thought the Steak Tartare they served as a special that evening was excellent. They also have a great wine list. I was told that the basement dining room was even more spectacular but did not make it downstairs. Highly recommend, but when crowded it can be noisy.Special Features:
- CelebrationKateDined on 11/7/2014This was a lovely venue to celebrate a 60-something birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Circa 1875 Continues to ExcelHiltonHeadResidentDined on 11/6/2014Looking for a restaurant for dinner to celebrate a special occasion? Then go to Circa 1875 and you'll get excellent service, great food, in a very nice setting. Dine downstairs, preferably at one of the corner tables. Ask for Michael to be your server. Rarely will you come across a server as good. We started with a salad. I had a steak cooked to perfection. It was delicious! My wife had Ratatoullie Crepes which she said were great. For dessert we shared Profiteroles (don't miss this dessert). Their wine list is large with quality selections and both of us enjoyed our servers recommendation.Special Features:
- Outstanding French BistroChrisCVIPDined on 10/29/2014Great food and service. Very authentic french menu. Friendly, attentive waitstaff. I will definitely return on my next trip to Savannah.Special Features:
- Romantic date nightLnoshayDined on 10/25/2014From the moment we entered the restaurant and were shown quietly to the wine cellar down below, the evening was very special. The service was unobtrusive yet efficient. Good suggestions from our server and a great wine list. We would definitely go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good and badpurplejasmineDined on 10/25/2014Location, service and ambience were nice and the escargots were fabulous. Steak was good, but the ceasar salad was tasteless and the crab cakes were pedestrian. I expect the crab cakes were the cause of my middle of the night Montezuma's revenge!
- Delightful Food and ServicePDXWriterVIPDined on 10/17/2014This is a true gem among the historic Savannah restaurants! The food was great and the service was friendly but opinionated (which we appreciate; I hate when you ask for recommendations and the waitstaff lists the entire menu!).Special Features:
- A wonderful experience in SavannahRonnoDined on 10/17/2014What a delightful experience to dine in Circa 1875. The food was wonderful, the service superb, the noise level quite loud but warm. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- French DelightPeatMossDined on 10/13/2014Nice atmosphere, easy conservation, great food and the service was even better!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!AlexisZorbaDined on 10/9/2014Circa 1875 has all the elements of an outstanding dining experience: wonderful ambiance, great food, excellent wine & spirits and a warm and professional wait-staff. You will always leave satisfied. Can't say enough about Circa 1875!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice dining experience!G650seanDined on 10/7/2014Excellent French restaurant with great ambiance and service. The escargot was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm, welcoming and charming!KariVIPDined on 10/3/2014We were greeted so warmly and escorted to a charming room downstairs complete with stained glass and our gracious waiter, Michael! A delicious evening ensued....our group's selections included fish, chicken, steak....everyone was delighted with their selections! We will recommend Circa 1875 to our friends in So. Cal! Thank you.Special Features:
- Everything was excellentSpunlaceDined on 10/1/2014We had a wonderful dining experience and only wish the restaurant was in our neighborhood and not 500 miles away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful French CuisineJSchultzVIPDined on 10/1/2014This is one of my favorite "off the beaten path" places to go in Savannah. It is absolutely charming! The food and wine are superb. I highly recommend this restaurant for a quiet romantic French experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A MustOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014The best dinner we had in Savannah....will be back if all possible....Special Features:
- Wonderful Place!diane707VIPDined on 9/24/2014Just a great place!! Best burgers of all things! Drinks are exceptional. Service fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Savannah Rose1965AHDined on 9/18/2014The meal was enjoyable with some standard French standbys as well as some local dishes. Was it my favorite meal in Savannah...no, but it was in our top three. Good service and an inviting atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodHonestFoodieDined on 9/16/2014Let me note that our server was wonderful but could have used some back up. We were seated in the charming wine cellar and there was another couple and a party of 10-12. They were very very loud and obnoxious. Our waiter was working very hard to take care of all of us which entailed going up and down the cellar stairs constantly. He should have had some assistance. It's s shame that overshadowed our fabulous meal! Everything we had was delicious...our truffle fries were cold upon arrival but promptly replaced. We would definitely go back but be hyper aware of where we sit .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulBTK2014Dined on 9/15/2014I love this resturant. The food is wonderful and the service even better. From the really nice host how seated us to our fabulous waiter. I wish I could remember our waiters name because he was so helpful and nice. The next time I'm in town I'll for sure eat here again.Special Features:
- FoodEFoodEDined on 9/12/2014Very nice French style restaurant. Good cocktails, good food, relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd visit just as wonderfulLuckyJackDined on 9/11/2014Have dined here twice now; once when daughter was considering SCAD, then during drop off trip. We've tried six different entrees, appetizers, dessert combinations now. Everything has been delicious. As only drinker, wines by glass have been perfect for each course. Can't wait to return to see daughter and restaurant again!Special Features:
- FortifyDined on 9/10/2014A very good meal. Great service! Some selections were not available.Special Features:
- Something different!RangelsrusDined on 9/6/2014Circa 1875 was fantastic! The service was great, the food was great, and the atmosphere was great! We were in Savannah for my husbands birthday. I looked up restaurants to dine while visiting Savannah and Circa was on the list. It did not disappoint. It's a French restaurant which is something you don't see or hear about everyday. It was different but so good! Also has a great wine list! Overall- top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Novel yet somewhat limited MenuBillyBenDined on 9/6/2014Oui, could be in france! French oriented menu , ranging from Mussels, Pate, Cassoulet and Crepes. Attractive small"ish" dining room, almost "Cafe" style with posters, art and typically French chairs that are not overtly bottom friendly......... Great Bar area and our choice for our return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dr. Brett UlanderOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014We had dinner in the wine cellar. Everything was absolutely perfect, food, service, atmosphere, etc. Michael was our server and he was outstanding and very friendly. We very much enjoyed our Anniversary dinner at Circa 1875, highly recommend it and will certainly return soon with family and friends.Special Features:
- BlumaxVIPDined on 9/5/2014Food was very tasty and ample portions. Friendly family-like service. Disappointed that the crab dishes I was looking forward to did not make it to the menu that day. Delivery "floundered" somewhere I supposeSpecial Features:
- Beautiful EveningloveitalianVIPDined on 9/2/2014From the courteous and professional service to the great selection of wine and delicious food, Circa made for a beautiful date night. The warm, homemade bread that we were served while we waited for our meals was really good...always a good sign. I thoroughly enjoyed the ratatouille crepes and would go out of my way to order them again if I get the chance! It's rare to find such a flavorful array of veggies in one dish. The cheese board also looked great and I'd like to try that next time. We'd heard only good things about Circa from several local friends, and their recommendations did fall short.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/27/2014Absolutely wonderful service from our server, Emily. She made some great recommendations. We really enjoyed the mussels. The French onion soup was good, we have definitely had better. Varied menu with several seafood options. Very interesting wine menu with several options for by the glass. We will definitely return the next time we are in Savannah. The wine cellar is a gorgeous area and we are looking forward to dining thereSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014Was a delightful evening, wonderful food and service.Special Features:
- Repeated excellenceMarilynVIPDined on 8/23/2014Food was fine as always (special bean and sausage soup was tasty and surprisingly light) and the service and atmosphere downstairs (requested thru Open Table!) was personable and quiet respectivelySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelming ExperienceClementineBarnabetDined on 8/16/2014Walking into the experience at first glance is fantastic. Nancy is kind and was intuitive in selecting a table in the more muted room. In our unfortunate dining experience, the vibrant atmosphere did not prepare us for the lackluster provisions that came out of the kitchen; as much as the reviews raved about the steak frites, I did not feel that there was great flavor upon tasting. What is worse is the server's attitude put me off from asking for additional assistance. Our server in one instance spaced out in front of us and was looking outside the window for perhaps 20 seconds. Plain silence. Perhaps he was having an off-day. We regrettably had an experience that will lead us to no recommendations and no return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014Table was too small. We were the first couple that came in with reservation that evening and were given the smallest table. Food was great and server was friendly and courteous. Would had like the bottle of wine to be chill. Dessert - I ordered the special dessert that was made available that evening banana and pear cake with vanilla ice cream, good taste but the cake was too dry.Special Features:
- Service was under parOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/5/2014We have been to Circa many times - The gaps between courses was much too long - they were either understaffed or unprepared - too bad because the food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gators12Dined on 8/4/2014Great service and romantic location. Very pricey but also delicious. They were accommodating of my children, but for the price not a great place to bring kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Date NightKBerg77Dined on 8/2/2014My wife and I were visiting Savannah for the first time together. We wanted a nice French restaurant with great food and good ambience. Circa 1875 met our expectations very well. We started with the tomato gorgonzola bisque soup, which was a nice way to whet our pallate. Then moved onto the beet salad, which was wonderful, light and fresh. Then we moved on to the Steak tartar, and the accompaniments were very tasty (gurkin pickles and pickled carrots). We had the salmon special, served over garlic savory beans, and thoughtfully they split our entree without us even asking. We finished with the chocolate mousse - just to die for!Special Features:
- Authentic French CuisineStriderDined on 8/1/2014The food is delicious and exquisitely prepared reminding us of the wonderful meals we have enjoyed in France. Our server was attentive and guided us through the menu and wine list and by making helpful suggestions. This restaurant is a treasure and a great find for our first trip to Savannah.Special Features: