2001 Chestnut St.
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.circasf.com/
- Phone: (415) 351-0175
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Served 5:30pm - 10:00pm nightly
Brunch Served 11:00am 3:00pm Sundays
Bar Open From 5:30pm - 12:00am Sunday-Wednesday and 5:30pm - 2:00am Thursday-Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Erik Hopfinger
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Upstairs mezzanine, overlooking the restaurant, is available for parties up to 28 people for a full sit-down dinner or 50 for cocktails. Whole restaurant available for buyout, up to 300 people.
- Private Party Contact: Alex Homs 4153510175
- Entertainment: DJ's Thursday through Saturday playing down-tempo and retro-classics during dinner service and broad variety of hip-hop, mash-up, contemporary and rock from 9pm-2am.
- Special Events: Wednesday is Wine Night: Purchase one bottle and receive the 2nd (of equal or lesser value) for $5.00. Offer valid with minimum food purchase of $20/person.
Sunday Brunch: Enjoy our bottomless mimosa for $9.00 along with Chef Erik Hopfinger's Benedict Sampler and other brunch favorites.
A word from CIRCA
Seasonally-driven New American small plates that draw inspiration from local farms producing organic and artisan products, CIRCA’s menu incorporates unique and exotic flavors from around the globe. Chef Erik Hopfinger’s dishes are a perfect marriage of traditional American cuisine with modern taste and technique, served in a sleek and contemporary space which seduces guests with sensual materials and elegant lines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
CIRCA reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (7)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (3)romantic (3)special occasion (2)fit for foodies (1)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)neighborhood gem (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Coming back very soon!Jennyi831Dined on 11/15/2014found an awesome dinner for four on LivingSocial I'm glad I did! Best experience ever with my girlfriends food amazing customer service awesome!! Coming back very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre Food in Sports bar settingSFfoodieDined on 10/25/2014We recently booked a reservation for our family at Circa without reading previous reviews first. That was a big mistake. The food was overseasoned and designed to be consumed with large quantities of beer. The best thing I can say about this restaurant is that we had a great view of the game. Overpriced and mediocre. Not worth the steep prices.Special Features:
- Birthday Brunch DisasternicolettegraceDined on 9/28/2014I booked here after a recommendation on a great brunch spot for my birthday. We arrived right on time and were seated immediately. We received our bread and water right away, but everything from there went downhill. Our waitress walked away before we even finished ordering, only filled one water after the entire table asked for a refill, or did not fill our water at all when we asked. We were very lucky that the busser and other wait staff were so attentive and amazing! One of the waiters even came to fill our glasses when he heard us ask our waitress for water and she completely walked away. It was almost impossible to get her attention, and we sat waiting for her. To top it all off, my chicken was completely raw in the middle.Special Features:
- Boozy Brunchmaddie5768Dined on 9/7/2014$10 unlimited mimosas with the purchase of an entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Circa 1990-rundownishMechavalonDined on 8/30/2014Circa, our choice dinner to get dressed up and celebrate our anniversary. Sadly it was our only mistake. From the time we walked in to what looked like a sports bar in a run down nice restraunt until the moment we considered dine and dash because we were ignored as the waitress chatted up another table for 30 minutes, we knew Circa was not where we should be. Try as we did, we could not come around to this place. Our meals were passable and mock fine dinning. The skirt steak was tasty but the texture was like tire rubber and could not be chewed enough to swallow. The chicken was good, full of flavor with a good portion. When asked by our server how everything was we explained that the steak was very very chewy. Her response... "Aw, sorry."
- Underrated FoodBrianDined on 8/28/2014We were gifted a Groupon for a 3-course meal, or we probably wouldn't have thought of this place for anything more than brunch. The food was really good, and we look forward to going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerribleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Although we did not take advantage of the bottomless mimosas, it seems as though one would only want to dine at CIRCA for brunch for that unlimited offer. The coffee tasted like it was from a gas station, the bloody marys were watered down, and the food was less than desirable. Our group had multiple selections of the menu, all of which were sub par. The Huevos rancheros should have been called a tostada with egg as they were not huevos rancheros. There was no salmon to be offered....to which 4 out of the 7 of our group wanted salmon items (sliders and benedict). Overall, the experience was sub par and as out of town guests visiting for a bachelorette party, we will not be recommending this establishment to friends visiting SF.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014I was disappointed that I made a reservation a couple of weeks in advance for some friends that were arriving from out of town and when we got there they put us at the smallest table possible. The guy working said we had made our reservation the day before and I had to show him that I got my confirmation of my reservation a couple of weeks earlier. He said that was the only spot they had for us to sit, but in fact there were plenty of open tables and he did end up moving us to a more accommodating place. It was just a hassle that didn't have to happen if the restaurant kept better track of reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 335 reviews are from the CIRCA reviews archive.
- Brunch cut off strictly enforcedRobynDined on 7/19/2014The $10 bottomless mimosa deal is really good but expect to be cut off at exactly an hour and a half, went for a late brunch around 1 and the restaurant was obviously winding down but we were still told you only get an hour and a half of bottomless though we weren't really holding up the table. I had the French toast which was the only sweet breakfast option but it was too sweet doused in brown sugar syrup and whipped cream, after scraping most if it off it was good though. I liked this place but I would rather spend $15 for bottomless and drink until I was ready to stop!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceDoubleDateDined on 7/17/2014I took my friend there for her birthday dinner and had the three pre fix meal. It was an amazing experience. I got the Tilapia and she got the Mushroom Fettuccini. Our food was absolutely delicious and our server was amazing. She was very sweet, very attentive, and had good recommendations. I will absolutely go back and recommend Circa.Special Features:
- Great Food, Bad ServicethegangDined on 7/12/2014The food was wonder, my partner had the lobster mac and cheese with truffle oil that was absolutely delicious. My dish was very tasty also but the service was so bad that it overshadowed my wonderful dish, and at this point, I really cannot even remember what I had. Circa has a lot of potential but it has missed the mark.
- Good food, not very busy weenightBaianaDined on 7/10/2014We went on a Thursday night and there were only a few other people there. Service wasn't very quick, but very friendly. Food was excellent, and generous.Special Features:
- ExcellentWeLoveChampsBrunchDined on 6/21/2014We had such a great time, endless mimosas without having to ask. Delicious food, great waitress. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet for Saturday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/14/2014My husband and I were here for dinner at 7:30pm on a Saturday, and we were one of 4 groups. The ambiance was definitely not what I wanted for a nice dinner out with my husband, as it was extremely quiet, quite bright and a bit awkward. The service was also quite slow considering there was almost no one there.
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/10/2014Ran across this restaurant on Groupon and decided to give it a go. It was the best meal I've had in a while! Not one thing we ate wasless than awesome! the server was also on pointSpecial Features:
- HORRIBLE - DROP themEricDined on 4/3/2014I've never been to a restaurant that was so emplty and messed up. Here's just two examples... 1) My date asked for a glass of ice since the white wine was warm (and bad) and he had to ask twice. 2) The waiter was friendly but inefficient because he was normally the bartender. He had to add, "if you were planning on the steak, please let me know and we'll substitute anything off the regular menu"..... when my date asked for beef off the other menu he replied with no, we don't have any beef on the other menu but a burger (I assume their supplier has cut them off). I would drop them from Open Table as they will be out of business within 2-3 months (if not sooner).
- Surprise! Food was amazing.kamijimDined on 2/14/2014We stumbled upon this establishment when we were late on a holiday finding a reservation. Only place left that had an opening. What a great find. We have since been back several times and food has been amazing! And I swear I had the best dessert I have ever had at a restaurant the other night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad serviceRaymondVIPDined on 2/1/2014The waitress deserve a negative rating. -Ask her for recommendation and she says everything is great and she doesn't have recommendations (with attitude) -Then she never checks back with us every again! The bus boy brings our food over. -After we finished our main course, we waited 20min and our waiter never came. I told the bus boy to get her and she is still MIA. We gave up and order desert to go through bus boy and ask him to bring the check. -Bus boy bring the desert to go bag and said the waiter will bring the check -Waited another 20min and still waitress is MIA. -At the point, our dinner already too 2 hours and my one year old baby is crying. I went over to the waitress, entering stuff on the computer and said could I get my check.
- Great serviceSara11Dined on 1/12/2014Our group showed up a little late for our reserved table and our request to be near a TV to watch the game. Not only were we placed directly in front of a TV, but they kept our reservation and accomodated our group. The food and service was great even on a busy game day! Definitely will be coming back for bottomless mimosas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big PortionsDeanoDined on 1/8/2014We went to eat on a LivingSocial promo. It included 2 appetizers, soup or salad; 2 entrees; 2 desserts and 1 bottle of wine. The portions were very generous and by the end of the evening, we were stuffed, even if we didn't finish each course. Food was well prepared. We brought food home and had an entire extra meal. Great value. Would do it again if the special were offered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prix Fix menu was goodSFFoodLoverVIPDined on 1/4/2014We had bought our dinner through Groupon. We came on the last possible night. Thy were very accommodating and nice. The food was actually quite good. It seems like this restaurant is on a 'cursed' corner - nothing every works out there. One issue is whether it is a restaurant with a bar or a bar with a restaurant. It almost feels like it should be two different places that share a kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chestnut Street OldieJimPDined on 1/4/2014The food was good and reasonably priced. The inside needs to be brought up to date, it feels like very little has been done since it was Joe's many years ago. Not much atmosphere to bring me back with friends who may come into town. The late night bar and dance crowd may make this place a good evening hang out, but the restaurant selection in the area is extensive. I feel Circa needs to do a bit more to attract those looking for a dinning experience.Special Features:
- Good for Brunch!katfDined on 1/1/2014The food was okay! The ambiance was really fun! bottomless mimosas are always a plus...Downside was receiving our bill before we even got our food! Taking 1.5 hours to receive our appetizer (order of fries). Our waitress seemed intoxicated herself. It ruined the vibe after we had been having such a great time to receive our bill. It was clear they had forgotten about our food and were already trying to get rid of us without having serve usSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's Eve mistakeSfnewbieVIPDined on 12/31/2013Had an 8:30pm reservation on NYE, seated right away. 20 min to be greeted & 35 min to receive our drinks, while 20 + hipsters getting up on their "cheer". After an hr to get apps, 45 mins later server told us that both our main dishes were no longer available. Ordered a dish really did not want, or like (mushroom fettuccine), then another 30+ min to arrive. The hipster party was going strong around us as we were the only ones left waiting to actually eat! We had our dessert packed to go, and hoped to make it to our next destination by midnight! My husband politely talked to the manager about our frustrations and he did compensate us for our bottle of wine.
- Cold and coldDivisaderoQueenVIPDined on 12/27/2013The restaurant was freezing. The service was almost as cold. There was hardly anyone in the place on a Fri night, yet it took us forever to place our order, get the bill, etc. It could use a good sprucing up.Special Features:
- Deeeee-licious !BethSFVIPDined on 10/17/2013Had the Pre Fixe dinner and it was OUT-OF-THIS-WORLD. Everything was cooked to perfection and melted in my mouth. The presentation was stunning and the service was excellent. The wine was great, too ! This was a spectacular dinner.Special Features:
- Good brunch foodSoEnderVIPDined on 10/13/2013The eggs benedict sampler was very good. "Bottomless" mimosas were so-so. I'd rather than had one quality glass of prosecco and nice fresh squeezed oj than a pitcher of a mediocre drink. We were there early on Sunday morning and the booth we sat in still smelled like beer from the night before, which detracted a bit from the ambiance.
- Ehhhh on the serviceBirthdaycelebrationsDined on 10/5/2013The service was very slow. I only noticed 2 servers and they were very very busy. We were never asked how the food was and we had to ask our waitress for our check cause we wanted to leave. Besides the overcooked french fries, the food was good. Nothing out of the ordinary to rave about but can't beat the $10 mimosas.Special Features:
- Brunch!RoxCDined on 9/22/2013The service was great and a good place for a group wanting to have a fun brunch on the weekend. This was my first brunch experience at circa and I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestcf9183Dined on 9/12/2013Service was excellent and the food was exquisite ! Definitely coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was really good but musicOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2013Food was really good but music is loud and some of the songs played would be inappropriate for a younger audience.Special Features:
- Great bottomless mimosa placeFoodie415VIPDined on 6/1/2013Great bottomless mimosa place for Saturday or Sunday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservations don't mean anythingPeytonVIPDined on 5/26/2013We made a reservation for 4 at noon and they didn't have a table ready for us. We waited an hour and a half and finally when a 4 top left, we had to go to the waitress and ask her for a table. Really disappointed in the service here, won't go back.Special Features:
- While the food was tasty,bruncherDined on 5/19/2013While the food was tasty, the service was so poor that I probably won't return or recommend this place to anyone. We came for bottomless mimosa brunch and never received a refill on our first glass. Needless to say, we were very unhappy. But we were unable to tell the waitress because she never came to check on us. We saw her once during the time we were seated and paid our bill. To top it off, the waitress charged my boyfriend's credit card for another table's bill total. She eventually took care of it but our experience was terrible by then.Special Features:
- stunksanfranfirstDined on 5/9/2013there for 20 minutes without anyone taking our order. Then placed order and was another 20 minutes and had still not received anything. StunkSpecial Features:
- Yummy Brunch w/ Bottomless Mimosa'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/28/2013We love coming here for Brunch on the weekends. The food is fabulous, the mimosa's are bottomless & the prices are great. We live in the East Bay & try to come at least once a month.Special Features:
- Very quiet when we were there..OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/19/2013Very quiet when we were there.. Food was amazing. Lobster Mac n cheese is a must
- Not sure I'll returnFoodieVIPDined on 3/13/2013We were seated upstairs and the service was terrible not just for my party but for the other patrons around us. Everyone was very upset on the poor and slow service. One couple literally walked out. Not sure i will return.Special Features:
- Neighborhood Gem !!NlfpcVIPDined on 3/13/2013Excellent food,good service, a little slow at times but the restaurant was extremely busy on the evening we visited. The baked Brie appetizer was the best I have ever had. Parking is difficult, had to circled around mutiple time before finding a space. Thank you Circa, had a great time.
- Sunday Funday at Circa!RudolphVIPDined on 3/10/2013Brunch was decent this time around; the crowd was a bit overwhelming for the waitstaff. At times, we had to flag down our waitress, as she couldn't make the rounds with a busy brunch bunch. Overall, it's still the best spot to have brunch with the girls.Special Features: