Cipriani - Dolci
89 East 42nd Street
Grand Central Terminal West Balcony
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Cipriani - Dolci
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cipriani.com/en/services/restaurants/cipriani-dolci
- Phone: 2129730999x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily:11:00am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Fabio Schiattarella 2129730999x
A word from Cipriani - Dolci
Opened in March of 2002, Dolci has fast created its very own Cipriani "scene" thanks to its chic ambiance, attentive service and well-priced Venetian menu. The restaurant offers all day casual dining, and the bar has become a lively after work meeting place, renowned for its charming bartenders and sensational tower of prosciutto.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cipriani - Dolci reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (46)great for lunch (36)special occasion (14)great for brunch (11)neighborhood gem (11)romantic (11)fit for foodies (11)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (5)notable wine list (5)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Great NYC findRJanDined on 10/17/2014In the heart of Grand Central this Cipriani is a bit more relaxed than other locations. It is good for a night out if you have other plans and want to take in a quicker but still elegant meal. The food was amazing. The drinks are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful location, Food was ok.DiningLadyDined on 10/10/2014We went to Cipriani as a family. Food was ok. Some dishes were delicious, such as the risotto primavera, but others esp the fish and the fillet Mignon was just ok. The location and the view however was wonderful, and the ambience was great for conversations. I would go back, but Stick to pasta, risotto and starters.Special Features:
- A Quiet CornerIvanODined on 9/24/2014I made a lunch reservation to catch up with a close friend I hadn't seen in a while, not realizing that the restaurant was inside the main hall of Grand Central Station. We were seated on the balcony overlooking the hustle and bustle below. You really felt like you were in the heart of the city and yet, up on the balcony it was quiet. Our server was attentive without being disruptive and the food was incredible. This small haven in the heart of the city has quickly become a spot I plan to share with other friends. I look forward to coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDisappointedVIPDined on 9/19/2014We were hoping to enjoy a nice dinner in Grand Central for our out of town guests. We were disappointed with the quality of the food and the lack of attentive service given the pricing for all items on the menu. The pricing sets a certain expectation, and Cipriani Dolci does not meet that expectation.
- AngelusDined on 9/18/2014Had a light lunch at Cipriani Dolci. Selected a chicken Milanese sandwich with greens and tomato on it on a chibatta roll. I also sampled the prociutto and mozzerala sandwich with arugala and tomoto on a chibatta roll. Both sandwiches were very tasty. Chicken was warm and not greasy and came with with mayonnaise on it. Thought maybe a pesto mayo would have been better. They weren't large sandwiches and coming on a large plate with nothing else it looked very lonely. I can't say it was worth the $20 per sandwich. If you want a great view of the inside of Grand Central Terminal with attentive service, not very hungry and expensing the lunch this is a good place to go.Special Features:
- Not even open (despite reservation)nonetoopleasedDined on 9/7/2014I had a reservation for brunch at 11:30a with my parents, and when we arrived, Cipriani told us they weren't opening til noon. OpenTable and Cipriani — you failed miserably at the one and only thing you were expected to do. Luckily, Michael Jordan's Steakhouse next door was happy to seat and serve us right away. And we had a lovely experience there. Take a 10-foot walk over and learn from their commitment to customer experience. Everyone will benefit.
- Fun venueSullyVIPDined on 8/31/2014Booked my reservation online.....yet Cipriani within OpenTable has you go to the main room off of 42nd Street....and not the venue within Grand central. Food was good, not great, but the venue at Grand Central was fun.Special Features:
- Great settingUnder100clubDined on 8/30/2014It was amazing to sit there in the middle of the iconic grand central station, what a setting. However the food and service were just about average at super high prices. I was so disappointed as had heard good things, I brought friends from out of town and our initial reaction was to leave however we were tired so stuck it out but it was a let down. I think the pricing needs to be addressed and consider having a child's menu as it's the type of location where there'd be a lot of tourist/families and passing trade.Special Features:
- Lost it!GTownBoyVIPDined on 8/21/2014Cipriani has lost it and I won't be back. Loyal customer for 20 years. Frequent Miami and NY locations. Cost of meal vs. what is delivered to table crazy. Lobster salad $29.50= 3 pieces of meat, 4 string beans and 4 cherry tomatoes. Last meal at any of this cult followings establishments. You guys need to reevaluate your customers complaints and make serious changes or risk extinction.
- Spectacular Food, Small PortionsjudyyankVIPDined on 8/20/2014Cipriani has been my favorite New York restaurant for years. The food never disappoints although they have changed the menu and removed some of our favorite dishes. As delicious as everything was, the portions have gotten smaller and the prices higher.Special Features:
- OverratedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014Everything about Cipriani used to be great. After many years, I've visited the place with the same expectations during NYC restaurant week. What a disappointment! The pre-fix menu was just as ordinary as one would find in any street corner restaurant. The service was automated, unfriendly and expected of 20% tips. Totally not deserved. The only great thing was the beautiful old Grand Central ambience, never disappointing!
- Good for TouristsDawnElisabethDined on 8/15/2014Cipriani-Dolci is located directly inside Grand Central Terminal. I did not know this upon booking for Restaurant Week Summer 2014. I had trouble finding the establishment because of this. The ambiance was noisy - we were right in Grand Central Terminal! My friend and I were screaming at each other to be heard, and our waiter's voice was low and we had trouble hearing him. The food portions were TINY - I don't know if this is strictly because it was a Restaurant Week meal, though - and the flavor ok. I expected more. The staff was friendly enough, but rushed our plates away as soon as we were done (and actually, once when I was not finished yet!). I think tourists would enjoy this spot for the name and the setting, but it's not for me!Special Features:
- Beautiful...KricketDined on 8/15/2014The location inside Grand Central Station on a balcony is wonderful. Having the opportunity to visit a landmark and enjoy a delicious meal is a win-win situation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and venu, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Food took 45 minutes to come out... at lunch time....sillyI would recommend this to a friend.
- Docked points for lack of valueMardiVIPDined on 8/14/2014Even though the food here is very good, it was SO EXPENSIVE for what it was. I guess that's how they keep the riff raff out in a place like Grand Central Terminal. However, it is of course extremely convenient if you're meeting someone at GCT who doesn't like to travel far. I also thought it was really hot, but I understand it's nearly impossible to air condition that space. All in all, it was good.
- PedestrianValadyDined on 8/13/2014Food was just average. Ambiance good. Service good
- UninspiredsuccubusDined on 8/13/2014The reason to go here is to be able to say you've dined on the balcony in Grand Central Terminal. The food was catering-hall quality at best. Nothing stood out as being particularly good.Special Features:
- Calieno1Dined on 8/13/2014The food was good but as special as I thought it was going to beSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food badly presentedanapaulaDined on 8/13/2014I am sorry but you should not been inside the program restaurant week. During those 2 weeks, I went to 13 restaurants as I love eating out and I don't cook at home. This restaurant was by far the worst i have been to. First of all the presentation of the food was almost hilarious. Pasta was OVERCOOKED, …. no comments. The only good thing was the expresso I had. Ah…the bread was bad, I mean, bad… like 3 days lying on there. Really disappointed. I was really annoyed paying 25 dollars for that because I go to Le Pain Quotidien and I can eat better.
- Got lazy during restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/12/2014I took my sister here for a birthday dinner during restaurant week. Obviously you need to lower your expectations for 1) restaurant week and 2) that it has the kitsch value of being in Grand Central. Cipriani - Dolci managed to disappoint even my managed expectations. The food reminded me of my college dining hall; barely-seasoned salmon that I could have cooked in my microwave at home with mixed veggies I swear came out of a bag and a cucumber salad with tomatoes dressed with nothing but olive oil. On top of that, the service was about as fast as a glacier with a hangover. I would never even consider paying full price to dine here.
- Nothing to recommendshantreturnDined on 8/10/2014The only pleasant thing about lunch was the company I was with. We were served a bread basket containing hard rolls. When our appetizers were served the waiter actually threw down one dish and in a surly voice said "salad." Each time we wanted our water glasses refilled we had to ask. When our dessert was served we had to request coffee, rather than being asked if we cared for a beverage, and again had to ask for refills (with the waiter saying, "oh you want more coffee?") and had to ask for the check. With each request, we had to search out our server. Only once, at the beginning of the meal, did the waiter return to ask if everything was okay. Was this because we ordered from the restaurant week menu .. will not return to find out.
- Nice surprisemotekmamaVIPDined on 8/9/2014Quality food and enough for hungry young guys. The service was quick although we had two dishes requiring fresh preparation like poached eggs. the wine list was extensive, however Pinot Grigio house wine was very good and inexpensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Had my 50th Birthday Dinner here ! Always wanted to visit Grand Central Station and it did not disappoint. The food was fabulous and it was fun to hang out and people watchSpecial Features:
- MW24VIPDined on 8/7/2014The food was not that good. The location is great.Special Features:
- Interesting placeGauchaemMiamiDined on 8/4/2014I found a very charming place! Its location inside the beautiful station is fantastic! We chose the menu from the Restaurant Week and it was just good. The cold soup was the best plate! The service was done very professionally! I want to return to try a different plate from the regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very average...D777VIPDined on 8/4/2014Was there for restaurant week. Service was very slow. But that would be fine if the quality was great - the food, especially main course, was really very average, and the expectation was higher. Appetizer was better than average. They need to raise the bar to be on par with other Italian places in the neighbourhood.Special Features:
- Great place!GinevraDined on 8/3/2014I was worried about the noise level at Grand Central, but it turned out to be brilliant place for lunch and the view of the Grand Central crowds is simply irreplaceable!Special Features:
- DisappointedKatdDined on 8/1/2014The service was slow. The salmon was far too salty. The vanilla creme was stale tasting. The only saving grace was the view of Grand Central's main concourse. I would not recommend.Special Features:
- Great view!jrmelloDined on 7/31/2014Food is ok but what is the best in this place is the ambience. On top of a balcony in Grand Central Station... just to be there is awesome.Special Features:
- Avoid the restaurant week menuDungustanDined on 7/31/2014I thought of saving a few bucks by ordering from the restaurant week menu - bad idea. Limited choice plus the portions are much smaller than usual - my main (veal ravioli) was the size of an appetizer, and taste-wise was just average. My husband also felt that the quality of food here was poorer as opposed to the Cipriani's downtown as he ordered the same dish (on the regular menu) and felt that it did not taste as good. The restaurant has a nice ambience though being in grand central.Special Features:
- Not for Restaurant WeekrjfoodlvrDined on 7/31/2014The front of the house was wonderful. I had high expectations for the food. Unfortunately, my friends and I were disappointed. The "chilled" asparagus soup wasn't cold. The sea bream filet was average at best. And we were given this side dish of hard rice pilaf that was downright awful. Another friend ordered the tagliolini and thought it was unimpressive. I normally try new restaurants during Restaurant Week, and return based on my experience. I gather Cipriani Dolci doesn't care about making new return customers with this event.
- Ambience is good. Food is Ok.LightSeekerDined on 7/31/2014We went for a business lunch during Restaurant Week. The views are excellent as you look out over Grand Central Terminal. However, the food was just ok with very small portions. We had the sea bass which came out as a very small portion and was a bit salty. The salad was ok and the dessert (the chocolate cake) was actually moist and pretty tasty. The service was also lackluster. Overall, we enjoyed the view and ambience of overlooking Grand Central, but the food and the service could have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just AlrightdineinnycDined on 7/30/2014The food was okay, I would only go to have the experience to dine in Grand Central. I also went during Restaurant Week so the menu might have been mediocre because of this.Special Features:
- Rest.Week, you get what you pay forOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/30/2014Food was plain and portions tiny. Service was lacking - after our entrees I asked to see the menu again because I was still hungry. I got a nod of acknowledgment, but never got a menu. The house red wine was very good, though.
- Glad I tried itheyyyDined on 7/30/2014The food was good, but the portions were tiny. Also, the tables were incredibly cramped and it was hard to get past other tables without knocking into peopleSpecial Features:
- We had a great timeKokesDined on 7/29/2014Awesome service and got a great meal with the Resturant week menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OrdinaryPatissierDined on 7/28/2014Went there to what supposedly would represent a sample of their superb dinner menu considering a "restaurant week" price tag but somehow it turned out so ordinary even a home cook call pull it off better and much more exciting of a meal. Service was very good. The staff were attentive.Special Features:
- Nice ExperienceaescobarDined on 7/27/2014Grand Central Station is a great location for a special dinner, for a business lunch, the location is great, with a very good service, it was a nice evening that I enjoyed with my wifeSpecial Features:
- take the train...miss the meallinnieVIPDined on 7/27/2014flies all around, dried out food, first undercooked then overcooked, small portions, big prices, slow service, tiny space jammed to seat more. once is quite enough.
- YUM!StarDined on 7/25/2014Honestly the best mozzarella I have had in my life. Like butter and then some. The best risotto I have ever had as well. Thoroughly enjoyed everything I ate!Special Features: