Cipriani - Dolci
89 East 42nd Street
Grand Central Terminal West Balcony
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Cipriani - Dolci
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cipriani.com/en/services/restaurants/cipriani-dolci
- Phone: (212) 973-0999
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily:11:00am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Fabio Schiattarella 2129730999x
A word from Cipriani - Dolci
Opened in March of 2002, Dolci has fast created its very own Cipriani "scene" thanks to its chic ambiance, attentive service and well-priced Venetian menu. The restaurant offers all day casual dining, and the bar has become a lively after work meeting place, renowned for its charming bartenders and sensational tower of prosciutto.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cipriani - Dolci reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
scenic view (41)great for lunch (26)fit for foodies (16)special occasion (13)hot spot (13)romantic (11)vibrant bar scene (9)neighborhood gem (9)great for brunch (6)notable wine list (5)late-night find (5)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Must - Atleast Once.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/24/2014I and my wife are big time foodies and are always in searcch of good eats in Manhattan. In over a decade of dining out in the Big Apple, this experience is in top 5, and every minute spent here will be remembered thoroughly. I have been going in and out of GCT daily, for the past 2-3 years and I love it everytime, as soon as I enter the Vanderbilt Hall. However, sitting at Cipriani Dolci for a couple hours of drinks and dinner, is a differently grand experience altogether. Amazing ambience, absolutely flawless hospitality and great food and wine. *10-Star* As some one already mentioned in the reviews, they are very warm, welcoming and very accommodating. Go in with a baby and a big stroller - fine, no problem - they will move a table away to create space for stroller, though the table has a potential to get them another $200-$300 for those couple hrs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better placesstusan96Dined on 11/22/2014While the atmosphere is nice being in Grand Central Station, the food isn't great and is expensive for what you get. I would head elsewhere if you want to spend that kind of money.
- Cipriani's would take back its name...jlonycVIPDined on 11/14/2014wow, what a disappointment. first off, I wasn't clear that this was NOT the big beautiful place -- its the outpost in grand central. nice enough chairs and obviously grand central is beautiful, but not the cipriani's I expected. this could've been any restaurant. and the food... sad. tuna tartare was good. but my veal was overly salted and the sauce was amateur and old. and the service.. wasn't even busy. old school guys need a refresher in service. and it wasn't even a busy time.
- Visiting from Scotland UKOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014Opentable prior booking, taken to balcony seating with wonderful view. Service and food were outstanding with the added extra of birthday cake for my sister topped off a wonder evening at Cipriani Grand Central StationSpecial Features:
- 1948Dined on 11/7/2014Excellent for a quick pre-theater or pre-sporting event dinner. The service is efficient and the food is very good. If you enjoy overlooking the hustle-bustle of Grand Central, this is your spot.Special Features:
- Great food an serviceGus1VIPDined on 11/5/2014Not a good selection of beers. The food and service was excellent. The atmosphere was very nice,Special Features:
- twoforthepriceofsixDined on 10/30/2014Sorry to say while the service was very good and the ambiance was interesting as it was on a balcony overlooking Grand Central Terminal, we did not get what we paid for. Both me and my lunch date had egg plant parmigiana. It was the most expensive I ever paid for that dish and was at the bottom of my list as to taste and quality and portion size.Special Features:
- Great dining in GCT NYCamasnycDined on 10/28/2014This is the 2nd time we have been here. The food was very good and the service was also pretty good. It is enjoyable to sit and have a bottle of wine and food while looking out over Grand Central Station. Our waiter this time was not as friendly as the last one but he did give very good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing LocationAndyVIPDined on 10/27/2014The location couldn't be better, set in the heart of one of NYC's most beautiful buildings, Grand Central Terminal. The food was quite good, but a bit expensive for what you get; but then again its hard to mind the extra cost given the beautiful ambiance of the restaurant. This is a must-try for a special occasion that combines good food with a landmark location.Special Features:
- Delicious, one caveatWorkout2eatDined on 10/27/2014Loved the location-heart of grand central! Was seated at a great table. Appetizers (cauliflower soup and caprese) were delicious. Main course (pasta and steak) were ehh. Had the pasta with shrimp, wouldn't recommend. There were 5 of the smallest shrimps I've ever seen/eaten. Disappointing because this dish was recommended by the server. Dessert tray came out after the table was re-set with fresh linens, was amazing.Special Features:
- Don't reserve at opening timesimondcDined on 10/25/2014We had to wait until 11:15 to get in there and our reservation was at 11:00. They actually arrived at 11:00 (I'd think they arrived earlier to set up everything). Not only did we have to wait, but when we asked for espresso, it was served warm, not hot. Most probably as a result of their espresso machine not being set up before the customers arrived. The rest of it was good. Flavor, presentation, and speed (they caught up with us later). Great place, just be aware not to reserve for opening time.Special Features:
- Great restaurantAndyDined on 10/24/2014A must go for foodies in NYC. Really enjoyed the food and ambiance. Also, be sure to check out this location, very unique and quite enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality droppingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/23/2014Have eaten here several times over the past 4 years, and the quality has hone down by a lot. Yesterday we had lunch. The food came very late, the service was poor, the paccheri was not cooked through and tough, the veal pasta was mediocre in taste. The only positive is the beautiful setting in Grand Central. Too expensive for what you get!
- Not what I rememhersoccermomDined on 10/18/2014My friend and I visited 3 years ago for her 50th birthday and we had a wonderful meal and the service was exemplary. We were back in New York for my 50th and looking forward to more of the same, unfortunatley the service let them and us down! When booking we mentioned it was for a special occasion, on arrival the restaurant was very quiet, unusual for a Saturday night, and beore I could even give my name and tell the hostess we had a booking we were being shown to a table. We ordered coctails and the waiter appeared very keen to get our order as soon as he could, we felt rushed. The food was lovely but there was no ambiance and considering the price we paidnot good value, we had better meals for less while we were away. Such a shame.Special Features:
- Great NYC findRJanDined on 10/17/2014In the heart of Grand Central this Cipriani is a bit more relaxed than other locations. It is good for a night out if you have other plans and want to take in a quicker but still elegant meal. The food was amazing. The drinks are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful location, Food was ok.DiningLadyDined on 10/10/2014We went to Cipriani as a family. Food was ok. Some dishes were delicious, such as the risotto primavera, but others esp the fish and the fillet Mignon was just ok. The location and the view however was wonderful, and the ambience was great for conversations. I would go back, but Stick to pasta, risotto and starters.Special Features:
- A Quiet CornerIvanODined on 9/24/2014I made a lunch reservation to catch up with a close friend I hadn't seen in a while, not realizing that the restaurant was inside the main hall of Grand Central Station. We were seated on the balcony overlooking the hustle and bustle below. You really felt like you were in the heart of the city and yet, up on the balcony it was quiet. Our server was attentive without being disruptive and the food was incredible. This small haven in the heart of the city has quickly become a spot I plan to share with other friends. I look forward to coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDisappointedVIPDined on 9/19/2014We were hoping to enjoy a nice dinner in Grand Central for our out of town guests. We were disappointed with the quality of the food and the lack of attentive service given the pricing for all items on the menu. The pricing sets a certain expectation, and Cipriani Dolci does not meet that expectation.
- AngelusVIPDined on 9/18/2014Had a light lunch at Cipriani Dolci. Selected a chicken Milanese sandwich with greens and tomato on it on a chibatta roll. I also sampled the prociutto and mozzerala sandwich with arugala and tomoto on a chibatta roll. Both sandwiches were very tasty. Chicken was warm and not greasy and came with with mayonnaise on it. Thought maybe a pesto mayo would have been better. They weren't large sandwiches and coming on a large plate with nothing else it looked very lonely. I can't say it was worth the $20 per sandwich. If you want a great view of the inside of Grand Central Terminal with attentive service, not very hungry and expensing the lunch this is a good place to go.Special Features:
- Not even open (despite reservation)nonetoopleasedDined on 9/7/2014I had a reservation for brunch at 11:30a with my parents, and when we arrived, Cipriani told us they weren't opening til noon. OpenTable and Cipriani — you failed miserably at the one and only thing you were expected to do. Luckily, Michael Jordan's Steakhouse next door was happy to seat and serve us right away. And we had a lovely experience there. Take a 10-foot walk over and learn from their commitment to customer experience. Everyone will benefit.
- Fun venueSullyVIPDined on 8/31/2014Booked my reservation online.....yet Cipriani within OpenTable has you go to the main room off of 42nd Street....and not the venue within Grand central. Food was good, not great, but the venue at Grand Central was fun.Special Features:
- Great settingUnder100clubDined on 8/30/2014It was amazing to sit there in the middle of the iconic grand central station, what a setting. However the food and service were just about average at super high prices. I was so disappointed as had heard good things, I brought friends from out of town and our initial reaction was to leave however we were tired so stuck it out but it was a let down. I think the pricing needs to be addressed and consider having a child's menu as it's the type of location where there'd be a lot of tourist/families and passing trade.Special Features:
- Lost it!GTownBoyVIPDined on 8/21/2014Cipriani has lost it and I won't be back. Loyal customer for 20 years. Frequent Miami and NY locations. Cost of meal vs. what is delivered to table crazy. Lobster salad $29.50= 3 pieces of meat, 4 string beans and 4 cherry tomatoes. Last meal at any of this cult followings establishments. You guys need to reevaluate your customers complaints and make serious changes or risk extinction.
- Spectacular Food, Small PortionsjudyyankVIPDined on 8/20/2014Cipriani has been my favorite New York restaurant for years. The food never disappoints although they have changed the menu and removed some of our favorite dishes. As delicious as everything was, the portions have gotten smaller and the prices higher.Special Features:
- OverratedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014Everything about Cipriani used to be great. After many years, I've visited the place with the same expectations during NYC restaurant week. What a disappointment! The pre-fix menu was just as ordinary as one would find in any street corner restaurant. The service was automated, unfriendly and expected of 20% tips. Totally not deserved. The only great thing was the beautiful old Grand Central ambience, never disappointing!
- Good for TouristsDawnElisabethDined on 8/15/2014Cipriani-Dolci is located directly inside Grand Central Terminal. I did not know this upon booking for Restaurant Week Summer 2014. I had trouble finding the establishment because of this. The ambiance was noisy - we were right in Grand Central Terminal! My friend and I were screaming at each other to be heard, and our waiter's voice was low and we had trouble hearing him. The food portions were TINY - I don't know if this is strictly because it was a Restaurant Week meal, though - and the flavor ok. I expected more. The staff was friendly enough, but rushed our plates away as soon as we were done (and actually, once when I was not finished yet!). I think tourists would enjoy this spot for the name and the setting, but it's not for me!Special Features:
- Beautiful...KricketDined on 8/15/2014The location inside Grand Central Station on a balcony is wonderful. Having the opportunity to visit a landmark and enjoy a delicious meal is a win-win situation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and venu, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Food took 45 minutes to come out... at lunch time....sillyI would recommend this to a friend.
- Docked points for lack of valueMardiVIPDined on 8/14/2014Even though the food here is very good, it was SO EXPENSIVE for what it was. I guess that's how they keep the riff raff out in a place like Grand Central Terminal. However, it is of course extremely convenient if you're meeting someone at GCT who doesn't like to travel far. I also thought it was really hot, but I understand it's nearly impossible to air condition that space. All in all, it was good.
- PedestrianValadyDined on 8/13/2014Food was just average. Ambiance good. Service good
- UninspiredsuccubusDined on 8/13/2014The reason to go here is to be able to say you've dined on the balcony in Grand Central Terminal. The food was catering-hall quality at best. Nothing stood out as being particularly good.Special Features:
- Calieno1Dined on 8/13/2014The food was good but as special as I thought it was going to beSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food badly presentedanapaulaDined on 8/13/2014I am sorry but you should not been inside the program restaurant week. During those 2 weeks, I went to 13 restaurants as I love eating out and I don't cook at home. This restaurant was by far the worst i have been to. First of all the presentation of the food was almost hilarious. Pasta was OVERCOOKED, …. no comments. The only good thing was the expresso I had. Ah…the bread was bad, I mean, bad… like 3 days lying on there. Really disappointed. I was really annoyed paying 25 dollars for that because I go to Le Pain Quotidien and I can eat better.
- Got lazy during restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/12/2014I took my sister here for a birthday dinner during restaurant week. Obviously you need to lower your expectations for 1) restaurant week and 2) that it has the kitsch value of being in Grand Central. Cipriani - Dolci managed to disappoint even my managed expectations. The food reminded me of my college dining hall; barely-seasoned salmon that I could have cooked in my microwave at home with mixed veggies I swear came out of a bag and a cucumber salad with tomatoes dressed with nothing but olive oil. On top of that, the service was about as fast as a glacier with a hangover. I would never even consider paying full price to dine here.
- Not the best experienceFood4thoughtDined on 8/10/2014Portions were really small, food was not that great. The service was not that bad but could have been better. Just feel like it wasnt representing its name..Special Features:
- Nothing to recommendshantreturnDined on 8/10/2014The only pleasant thing about lunch was the company I was with. We were served a bread basket containing hard rolls. When our appetizers were served the waiter actually threw down one dish and in a surly voice said "salad." Each time we wanted our water glasses refilled we had to ask. When our dessert was served we had to request coffee, rather than being asked if we cared for a beverage, and again had to ask for refills (with the waiter saying, "oh you want more coffee?") and had to ask for the check. With each request, we had to search out our server. Only once, at the beginning of the meal, did the waiter return to ask if everything was okay. Was this because we ordered from the restaurant week menu .. will not return to find out.
- Nice surprisemotekmamaVIPDined on 8/9/2014Quality food and enough for hungry young guys. The service was quick although we had two dishes requiring fresh preparation like poached eggs. the wine list was extensive, however Pinot Grigio house wine was very good and inexpensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Had my 50th Birthday Dinner here ! Always wanted to visit Grand Central Station and it did not disappoint. The food was fabulous and it was fun to hang out and people watchSpecial Features:
- MW24VIPDined on 8/7/2014The food was not that good. The location is great.Special Features:
- Interesting placeGauchaemMiamiDined on 8/4/2014I found a very charming place! Its location inside the beautiful station is fantastic! We chose the menu from the Restaurant Week and it was just good. The cold soup was the best plate! The service was done very professionally! I want to return to try a different plate from the regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.