Cinema - The Brasserie
2 East 45th Street
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Cinema - The Brasserie
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://cinemarestaurants.com/
- Phone: 2129490600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Brunch: Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Fotis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Space and Dining Room available for up to 30 people. Semi-private space available for Cocktail and Hors d' Oeuvres Parties for up to 80 people. Please inquire for details.
- Private Party Contact: Riccardo Dardha 8883940580
- Cross Street: Between Madison and Fifth Avenues
- Public Transit: 7 train to 5th Avenue, B, D, F & V trains to 42nd Street/Bryant Park, and 4, 5 & 6 trains to 42nd Street/Grand Central.
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: Parking Garage on 45th Street between 5th and 6th Ave. Alternately, Municipal Metered parking after 6pm.
A word from Cinema - The Brasserie
Cinema Brasserie, part of the Cinema Hospitality Group which operates three restaurants in New York City that play silent movies throughout service, offers a unique dining experience in the heart of midtown Manhattan. Our goal is simple; to offer a great meal, matched with knowledgeable and genuinely friendly service to ensure guest satisfaction. Executive Chef, Fotis K. demonstrates his talent and expertise with an eclectic menu inspired by his travels around the world, reinterpreting the concept of New American cuisine for the sophisticated palettes of New Yorkers and visitors alike. The menu is complemented by a wine list that features beloved favorites from Italy, France and the New World with exceptional value, including an outstanding selection of wines by the glass and quartino, allowing our guests to choose the precise level of indulgence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cinema - The Brasserie reviews from OpenTable diners
7 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance2.6Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)good for groups (2)neighborhood gem (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Terrible Experience - Closed earlysthpaw07Dined on 7/25/2014I made an 8:30 reservation (through OpenTable) on a Friday night only to show up and be told that they were closed. No reason was given but as there were only 2 tables with people I think that was just a management decision since they weren't busy. I was told that "someone" had tried to call me but was unable to get in touch. Meanwhile I had no missed calls and they did not leave a message. I also got an email from OpenTable an hour prior to my reservation CONFIRMING the reservation. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt but bottom line is this restaurant is poorly managed and I will not be coming back.
- $14 bowl of KalenotwhatIpaid4Dined on 7/8/2014Way over priced for the quality. $14 for Kale salad that had about 5 chickpeas in it. Panera is more gourmet than this place. Skip it.
- Cinema just okayKathyPeterVIPDined on 7/1/2014We have eaten at a couple of their Cinemas and always just okay. I never feel great after eating here though because I think everything is processed/ready made, nothing from scratch, i.e. not very healthy. You can do much better in NYC.
- Sorry We're ClosedbonafideDined on 6/8/2014My experience was terrible...but that might have something to do with the fact that the restaurant was not open, and we went out of our way to go this restaurant only to have to walk around Midtown which is a food wasteland to find somewhere to eat. The restaurant we found was horrible which only made us more upset that Cinema did not work out. I am not sure if this was a glitch on Cinema's account or on OpenTable's. To other people interested in Cinema, call to make sure it is opened. I am sure they have great food. Their brunch menu looks amazing. I would love for a chance to go back and give them more than one star, but for right now, that is my only experience I have had with Cinema-the Brasserie, and it was a poor experience.Special Features:
- The following 171 reviews are from the Cinema - The Brasserie reviews archive.
- DF0614VIPDined on 5/20/2014This was my first time at Cinema and I enjoyed the Waygu beef burger. I liked the high ceiling and tiered seating off to the right as you walk in.Special Features:
- Nice, quiet dinner with the familyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/30/2014Ambience was great, silent Charlie Chaplin film projected on the wall was a nice touch. Waiter was attentive but a little too attentive. Food was great and it wasn't loud. There also were barely any people there; maybe because it was pouring outside? All in all, a nice experience for our family. :)Special Features:
- The cocktails were very wateredOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/21/2014The cocktails were very watered down. My fish taco meal should have had four tacos, but they only gave three. The roasted best salad tasted like canned beats with slices of Gouda sandwich cheese. Not worth the price in any way.
- Great Happy Hour DealsFuncuzDined on 3/6/2014Prices were great. Food sampler ordered perfect shared appetizer.Special Features:
- Nice Ambience and servicecrabloverDined on 2/14/2014I ordered from the simply grilled menu and the Mahi Mahi fish was so bland. Our waiter Hector was so nice , he took it back and brought me the salmon which was tasty except for the lemon sauce they had the potatos swimming made them inedible . My husband had the hanger steak which was really good. Service overall was great . The resturant played nice mellow music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, in attentive serviceswl86VIPDined on 2/4/2014Good menu, good food, but every time I come here the service seems to be slower and slower. Service has been especially slow on weeknights. Most recently, our server was not attentive and seemed to be preoccupied with her other tables and duties as hostess.
- was there on a frigid saturdaypdg123VIPDined on 1/25/2014was there on a frigid saturday morning and they let us sit forever. that was nice.
- Great spotSweetMVIPDined on 1/23/2014I visited this restaurant with my family and it was prime location near grand central and penn station. The food was great and the service was spectacular. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post storm dinnerBob13wVIPDined on 1/21/2014Had a very nice dinner post snow storm this week. The food and service was very good and the wine by the glass was good and very affordable. The restaurant was quiet due to the snow storm. We will defineately put this on our list to visit again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good, close to theatreNYCvisitorVIPDined on 12/25/2013We were looking for a restaurants with eclectic menus close to the Broadway theatre district for Christmas night. Cinema - The Brasserie was great -- food and service. The tables are not on top of each other, and the entertainment was silent, so we could talk and hear. Everything was prepared to order, and there was nothing left on our plates and no room left in our stomachs...good from appetizer to dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was fine, service wasTickedDined on 12/19/2013Food was fine, service was decent. Good place for lunch. Hostess was full of obnoxious attitude when stating the restaurant does not take reservations for parties less than 5 implying that somehow it was my fault that the restaurant accepted a reservation for 4. If the policy is to not take reservations for less than 5, then my reservation for 4 shouldn't have been accepted. Not my problem, it's yours.Special Features:
- Just perfect!sass0onDined on 11/30/2013I loooove this restaurant! The food is great, the service is good... I could eat the veal and ricotta meatballs spaghetti forever and ever!! I come all the way from Canada and I absolutly have to eat there when I visit NewYork.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre-Theatre Dinner PlacevicksterDined on 11/8/2013We stopped in for a quick light dinner before a show. Each of us had some of the "Simply Grilled" fish, some wine and a lovely dessert. This place is consistently reliable for good/clean service and good to great food. We keep going back and love it each time we are there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- An oasis!7friendsDined on 10/19/2013After a long day and a so-so play, Cafe Brasserie was an oasis. The waiter and service were outstanding. All 7 of us were really happy with our various orders, and frankly, we tend to be picky and we came there a little out of sorts. And, unlike even much fancier restaurants, the wait staff knew not to clear before everyone had finished. Big kudos in my book! It was the perfect place to go for a very good meal in an easy and comfortable setting and where the wait staff will take very good care of you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Burger I ever ate?NSAdocNYCVIPDined on 8/28/2013I tried this place based on other OT reviews and had the dry aged burger. Touted as the best burger I will ever eat. I found it lackluster, lacking in seasoning, and had no depth of flavor. I asked for it to be cooked medium rare and it came out well done. The fries were standard fries. My companion's chicken dinner was also under seasoned and not cooked well. The one thing we did like was the the beef was grass fed and the chicken was organic.
- Dinner at Cinema - the BrasserieKaidieDined on 6/25/2013Dinner at Cinema - the Brasserie was excellent. Food, service and ambiance were good - we will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was good, service fine,bruncherDined on 6/23/2013food was good, service fine, drinks were good! Seating comfy. convenient location to Grand Central. Not crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FindOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/21/2013Beautiful beet dish appetizer to share and delicious mushroom flatbread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYC Food NookIDontShareFoodDined on 6/2/2013Hopped on Open Table to see what was recommended around town. Didn't want to spend much money but willing to splurge a little. Found this and perused the menu just before selecting a reservation time and was thrilled. Price was competitive, service was great, and the food was delicious. Cinema had a quiet ambience while a black and white picture show displayed on the wall above us. When you want to get away from the bustle of the streets, this food nook fits the script.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for light pre-theater dinnervicksterDined on 5/31/2013We came here for a light dinner before seeing a Broadway show. The wait staff is wonderful - attentive without being overbearing. The food (we had Simply Grilled fish) was delicious - not too much, not too minceur, just right. We indulged in terrific dessert and excellent cappuccino. We always enjoy coming here and will do so again. If you are looking for a midtown delight, this is the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as always!AliceEVIPDined on 5/23/2013I simply love coming to this restaurant! The food is inexpensive, but has great quality, and taste. We had te Peasant Omelette, the Crépes, and - sorry i forgot the name - a classic breakfast wih eggs, meat and potatos. Arrived promptly, and tasted like heaven. In none of my many vacations to France, I ever had a Crépe as delicious as this one. The service is always friendly, and very attentive; charming ambiente. Perfect for breakfast/brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service, not so good, food okBeccaVIPDined on 5/6/2013The service was a bit rushed, even though we were only there for a short amount of time and some of the only patrons there. The food was ok, fresh salads, but we didn't get anything too out of the ordinary, which I'd like to for next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truffle mac & cheese was quiteOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/14/2013Truffle mac & cheese was quite good...burger was overpriced for what it was. But staff was super-nice (went during a slow time: early Sunday supper).
- Good place to have a workOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/25/2013Good place to have a work lunch meeting; hardly crowded; good for groups; quick service. Nothing spectacular about the menu; but if you have people who are not adventurous, this is a safe menu. The water, coffee, Iced Tea and Iced Coffee tasted funny; like smoky, perhaps it's the water. The waiter was gracious and removed the items from the check.Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/15/2013Great food, great service - just a bit too loud, but that may be because we were seated under a speaker.Special Features:
- A bit dissappointed.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013The food was generally okay but overall not above average. As usual my daughter had the Truffle Oil Mac & Cheese which is very good. Prior visits I had above average food but not this time and the waiter was not good, he was not busy and made a few mistakes with the order.
- Wonderfully professional andfleaspanDined on 2/4/2013Wonderfully professional and friendly staff; welcoming atmosphere; great food. Appropriate for business-casual dining.
- Great location, even better food.LeslieMacDined on 1/19/2013Had a wonderful brunch at Cinema - The Brasserie with my husband and mother. We enjoyed our meals very much. Service was perfect, food was great. It was nice to find a place that had brunch items (omelets, eggs, pancakes etc) along with a full lunch menu (burgers, pasta etc). Highly recommend.Special Features:
- New Year's Eve at 5PM waswirelessDined on 12/31/2012New Year's Eve at 5PM was just what we needed away from the crowds.Special Features:
- Decent PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/30/2012Food was pretty standard, but reasonably priced. I was able to make a reservation for brunch the night before. Service was excellent. Good place to go before a matinee if you're looking for standard food at a reasonable price.Special Features:
- Pleasant decor and our waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/29/2012Pleasant decor and our waiter quickly realised we were in no hurry and gave us plenty of time to order and then eat at a leisurely pace - very much appreciated. Food was mixed. Signature burger was fab, pork chop tough and grits overly salty.Special Features:
- We visited NYC with our adultMabmabDined on 12/28/2012We visited NYC with our adult children and grandchildren. This was a great kid-friendly place for a four and two-year-old, and pleasant for the parents. Note that they don't have a children's menu, but that didn't matter. Many of their menu items were kid-friendly. The location is great if you are visiting the old stand-by locations--Rockefeller Center, FAO Schwarz, Empire State Building, etc. Very low stress situation with little kids. Food was just fine, but not exceptional.Special Features:
- The food was good, but nothingvumomDined on 12/28/2012The food was good, but nothing special. From where we were sitting, we couldn't see the silent movies.
- Server was nice but was notOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/25/2012Server was nice but was not the one to deliver our food, nor did he ever return to check on how we were doing. Salmon was fairs, green beans not that fresh. My husbands Kobe burger and fries were very good. My sons Sara Caprese was bland.
- Wasted my Christmas Dinner...'12GdidhitthespotDined on 12/25/2012Spent time here for last years Christmas Dinner and it Suck! I wanted nom traditional meal..so I had a burger and spent 25 bucks! I felt like i got ripped off and cork screwed! Never again!
- Incredible Food, beautifullyShawnRDined on 12/22/2012Incredible Food, beautifully presented with fantastic service!! A wonderful quiet spot...don't miss it! The veal meatballs are the most incredible thing I've ever eaten.Special Features: