Cinema Cafe 34th Street
505 Third Ave
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Cinema Cafe 34th Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cinemarestaurants.com/
- Phone: 2126899022
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch/Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 11:00am - 12:00am; Thursday - Friday: 11:00am - 1:00am, Saturday: 9:00am - 1:00am, Sunday: 9:00am - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Ariel Villegas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from Cinema Cafe 34th Street
Cinema Cafe on 34th Street reflects the high energy of the hip and young Murray Hill crowd in our relaxed and casual atmosphere. The menu reflects the stylishness of our guests as we showcase the most popular culinary trends in our diverse menu. The restaurant plays silent movies throughout service. On weekend and late evening, the scene explodes with a fashionable assortment of visitors from all over town.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cinema Cafe 34th Street reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (4)neighborhood gem (3)special occasion (2)late-night find (2)fit for foodies (2)good for groups (2)hot spot (2)romantic (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- bad serviceannoyedDined on 9/6/2014The place looked nice than the last time I was there. The food was outstanding, but the service was horrible! ! Our waiter was inattentive and never available when we needed him. The place was not crowded, so there's no excuse for thatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise level...WOW!!! And more.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014We went there for lunch on a beautiful summer day. The restaurant was almost completely open to the outside. The traffic noise sirens, honking horns - was compounded by jack hammers, and it was almost impossible to hear one another. We left without dessert and coffee because of the noise.
- Great ServiceCaptZaffDined on 7/7/2014Reserved a seat on a Monday evening, and was sparsely populated. While I had a requested a "Happy birthday" greeting for my date, it was unfortunately forgotten; the staff made up for it by arranging a card on her seat at our table, handed complimentary shots (a sweet lemoncello aperitif), and sang happy birthday and supplied a candle to our dessert (a chocolate lava cake, which was delicious, if a bit tiny for two). Split a breaded fried ricotta, and baked mac and cheese appetizer...both combined were filling enough. She had a grilled cheese with tomato bisque side, and I had a (slightly undercooked) lamb burger with fries, which was filling. Drinks (I had an excellent martini) were good, and service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 57 reviews are from the Cinema Cafe 34th Street reviews archive.
- Love Cinema CafeParisADined on 6/20/2014I have been to Cinema Cafe probably 5 times now and every time i've enjoyed the experience. They have a variety or food options that are well-priced. They have good service. The ambience is nice. And the food is delicious. I have gone with friends each time, and each time we've had the chance to sit and talk, and not feel rushed. All of us loved the food. This past time I sat outside and it was very loud with sirens going past a lot, but I don't blame the Cafe for that. It's just that neighborhood and NYC. I highly recommend going.Special Features:
- Not goodDelishVIPDined on 6/17/2014Jus not good. Tasteless. Seemed all to be frozen not freshly prepared. Strangely gratuity was added and we were only a party of 3. There is a hostile in the apartment bldg above so I'm guessing that's why gratuity was added.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/17/2014food was delicious.Service was excellent. Very comfortable.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2014Our group (four adults) started with the sampler plates of dim sum,sliders and assorted apps. All were delicious. Only one person ordered an entree, chicken pot pie, which I was told was very good with big chunks of chicken. The rest of the party continued with small plates which were also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed in outdoor viewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014Overall my boyfriend and I had a nice experience at Cinema Cafe. However, I was very disappointed in the location of our table. I had passed this restaurant and admired the outdoor seating on 3rd avenue, and was very much looking forward to an outdoor experience at your restaurant. We were seated on 34th street, which was not very pleasant. We were facing restaurants like pie face, which gave a very commercial and not too ambient setting. Probably should have just asked to switch to a table on 3rd ave!
- Burgers were goodKristineDined on 5/2/2014Burgers were good, food in general was good. Went with a group of 8 table was ready when we arrived. Service was really Slow. When someone from our party got up to speak with the manager the service Got alittle better. Seemed like there was only one waiter one helper one manager For the entire restaurant. But everyone's Plate was wiped clean so food was definitely good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spotjd1220Dined on 5/2/2014I went here for a mid-week breakfast. It was nice to be able to sit outside and enjoy a nice spring day. The food was pretty good. Shared an omelet and french toast with a friend. The bellinis were great too! I would definitely come back.Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood restaurantTashaVIPDined on 4/1/2014This is our second time at this restaurant. We love the sampler app platters (humus, feta, olives etc) and the pizza was very good as well. Most of the dishes were very flavorful and enjoyable but We didn't love the ahi tuna. It was the thinnest piece of Ahi I have ever seen and it wasn't served rare as it often is. Our waitress was excellent as was the rest of the staff. We would definitely return...However, I would stick with dishes other than fish. I liked the silent movies playing on the wall....but the music was a little loud at times,....we were still able to talk among our family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for BreakfastSaJ1VIPDined on 2/7/2014Had the opportunity to have breakfast there on a weekday recently and it was a great way to start my day. I've done their weekend brunch many times and it is a favorite of mine. While understandably they don't have as big a menu for their weekday breakfast as their brunch, there were still lots of great options including their breakfast burrito and they serve great coffee, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent dinnerdinerVIPDined on 1/19/2014We loved our meal and will return. Three different entrees and all were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Enjoyable!TashaVIPDined on 1/8/2014We enjoyed all of our dishes and the service was very good. We ordered 2 sharing plates between 4 of us to start...then ordered the margharitta pizzas. We were very happy with everything. The platter with the hummus had a sauce that was too spicey for us. For those who like spicey I'm sure it was good. Enjoyed the environment with the silent movie on the wall.. The music in the restaurant was a little too Loud for us but they were very accommodating to lower it a bit. I would definately return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice enviornmentunknownDined on 1/2/2014The restaurant has dim light so it gives a very relax environment. The food there is pretty good and no expensive considering it being located close to Herald Square. Will recommend to friends and return again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good atmosphereNYCdineDined on 12/31/2013A very good atmosphere with good food and cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food Great PriceMissStarEyesDined on 10/26/2013If you want really good food for a very reasonable price in NYC this is the place to go!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great People WatchingStreetsavvyDined on 9/27/2013The food is good. The bar is stocked. the people watching on the corner of 34th Street and 3rd Avenue is terrific. Highly recommended. Oh, and the price is moderate. But, th eportions are a bit small.Special Features:
- Lovely ScenelittlebirdDined on 7/5/2013It was an exquisite experience! The staff was incredibly accommodating despite my large birthday party. My friends and I had a great time. I can't wait to come back again this summer and hopefully catch some silent movies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/30/2013Brunch was all very good unique twists on favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointing place for lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/17/2013Very poor service even with the restaurant virtually empty. This place needs a visit from Restaurant Stakeout. Cannot keep a water glass full in the hot summer. Food was fair but brought out wrong the first time!
- breakfastdiner14VIPDined on 5/17/2013great to have nice atmosphere and food for a relaxing breakfast.Special Features:
- decent food, good seatinglindsDined on 5/12/2013seating at the restaurant is nice, lots of windows or outside seating. the food was okay, nothing special. the prices are pretty high for what you get, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wouldn't dine here againCoreyVIPDined on 5/4/2013I've only had horrific experiences here. Never a good service experience. Just embarrassing to say I recommended this place. Management should be ashamed to be running a sham of a restaraunt. First experience: appetizers were brought out incorrectly. When finally corrected our meals arrived when the servers attempted to shove our dinners down on the table we asked them to wait for us to finish our appetizers. Eventually they complied and brought ice cold meals back to our table minutes later. Second experience: wouldn't say I got far enough into the reservation but a confirmation call and an open table reservation seemed too daunting to the staff to accomadate ruining a birthday celebration for a large party of out of towners.
- Everything we ate was great,OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/19/2013Everything we ate was great, but the server was completely incompetent.
- This was our first visit.DonGVIPDined on 4/17/2013This was our first visit. Ordered the "ultimate" burger, medium. It came "well-done." Mediocre at best. Also ordered the "small plate sampler." It was ok, at best, and I would order it again. Service was fine, table by window had entertaining view of passersby, and I might try the place again--but not for the premium burgers.
- Restaurant gave free coffeeLindaVIPDined on 3/24/2013Restaurant gave free coffee refills but charged me for an extra cup of tea when I asked for a second tea bag. I thought that was very cheap of them, especially since they were serving an inexpensive brand of tea that doesn't give more than one good cup.
- Great experience - we'll be back!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/21/2013Food was really great for our team lunch with my team. We enjoyed everything and the noise level was perfect for our conversation. Service was good, fast and friendly. We will return.Special Features:
- Huge menu with a lot of selection.LizzzVIPDined on 1/2/2013Huge menu with a lot of selection. Great for a quick meal. Teriyaki noodle salad is the best thing on the menu.
- This is a great neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/23/2012This is a great neighborhood spot with short wait times and great service and food. The menu offers something for everyone, which is why its a great go-to spotSpecial Features:
- 5 Stars for Cinema CafeCindyCliffordDined on 12/4/2012Cinema Cafe is a gem of a restaurant, with a diverse, delightful, delicious and affordable menu. I particularly appreciated the variety of vegetarian-friendly options. The service was great- friendly, helpful and attentive without being overbearing. We began with starters to share (per the menu suggestion) and moved on to our entrees... a fresh vegetable risotto, a spectacular mushroom ravioli, margarita pizza and then finished with the lip-smacking Chocolate Royale for desse. As a final course, the waitress brought over complimentary glasses of sparkling wine to finish off a perfect meal. Really, it doesn't get any better than that. Not only do I happily recommend Cinema Cafe, I can hardly wait to go back.Special Features:
- A bit too pricey for whatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/3/2012A bit too pricey for what it is, but still delicious and decadent.Special Features:
- Nice Friendly PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/9/2012The staff was very nice, and the food was better than we expected. Overall a nice friendly place for better than average comfort food.Special Features:
- Not a good spot!NoahVIPDined on 10/19/2012I am a huge fan of the Cinema Cafe that is o 45th street. My office used to be a block away, and I'd go to the spot weekly (at least) for a lunch. Great food, nice servers, good experiences. I went to this Cinema to catch a meal before a movie. I will never go back. The food was incredibly oily (even though we requested light oil for dietary reasons), my order came out with the wrong side, my wife's came out with sauteed green beans (despite that she specifically requested steamed), and the waiter was fair at best. He was certainly not concerned. The bussing staff was trying to clear our table before we were even done with the meal. Go elsewhere!
- Solid, quality restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/12/2012Solid, quality restaurant. Good size portions, fresh ingredients, and friendly service. Strongly recommended as a brunch option.Special Features:
- Everything was very good,OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/4/2012Everything was very good, but the steak martini appetizer was amazing. It was grass fed to boot. In fact, all the meat is humanely raised.Special Features:
- We have been to this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/21/2012We have been to this restaurant several times, and we like the food and the ambiance...had it not been for the drilling in the streets, we would have opted for outdoor dining. The service was a bit slow, which was strange because there seemed to be enough staff standing around...however, the issue might have been in the kitchen. We certainly will return, and we do recommend it.
- We were very very happy andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/30/2012We were very very happy and surprised to see our waiter offer to split the check into the 6 different clients. Never saw that in Manhattan and we definitely would go back when in group to the Cinema Cafe. The food was super good and the service perfect.Special Features:
- We were a group of 12 (8 childrenOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/21/2012We were a group of 12 (8 children and 4 adults) and we were well accommodated. Food was great, service excellent. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- It like eating at a bus stop ...!!!AussieDined on 6/17/2012Corner of 3rd & 34th ... Like eating at a Bus Stop ... Traffic fumes , average service and only OK food .. If you can't find anywhere else it's OK ... Not sure why anyone wants to sit on the steet and breath in the spewing fumes and exhaust heat from the cross town buses ... close to home but plenty of other that are better ...