350 West Pender St.
Vancouver, BC V6B 1T1Neighborhood:
Contemporary EuropeanPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cinara.ca/
- Phone: 6044289694x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Contemporary European, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Lucais Syme and Gill Book
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We are willing to do off site catering for guests that may require this.
- Entertainment: None
- Special Events: The restaurant is available for private buy out functions and special events. Please call us to enquire.
A word from Cinara
Cinara is an intimate space with an evolving food and wine menu. We work with local farmers and suppliers who inspire us to create a dynamic menu based on availability. Cinara is an elegant and comfortable restaurant focussing on European style cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Cinara - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Cinara reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (59)neighborhood gem (45)notable wine list (25)romantic (24)special occasion (23)hot spot (18)good for groups (11)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Top notch Italian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014Everything was vibrantly fresh, and cooked to perfection. The plates were intelligently put together and very complete, with the simplicity and clarity one expects with rustic cuisine using top products, but with a good deal of savvy from the chef who knew how to accompany and highlight the main ingredient subtly enough to always let it shine center stage.Special Features:
- Lived up to expectationsPassionforgoodfoodDined on 8/20/2014Being a big fan of La Quercia I have followed Lucas Syme to La Pentola de la Quercia and now after eager anticipation Cinara and it totally lived up to my expectations. Unpretentious, ingredient focused, delicious dishes served in a relaxed, tasteful setting by real, attentive, charming servers. The menu, which continually changes had so much appeal I wanted to order everything.Our chosen dishes included house marinated white anchovies with crisp radish, their own prosciutto with fresh fig, tender octopus salad, grilled nectarine and heirloom tomato salad, crisp pan seared branzino, savoury braised rabbit, zabaglione with fennel over berries. The wine list, Italy and France weighted, is well chosen and a bit pricey. I hope to go back soonSpecial Features:
- Great food...great service!Fud4funDined on 8/16/2014We let our server and the Chef have their way with the four of us...the food kept coming until we had to say no more! Grilled peaches and heirloom tomatoes- house cured salmon - scrumptious Italian sausage- pine honey with the cheeses...just to name a few flavor sensations Great way to end the RSVP ride, birthday and anniversary! Would recommend any time!!!! (Already have!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool spotGulpnGuzzleDined on 8/13/2014Very nice staff, food, ambiance. Not your typical Italian fare, so don't think pizza, pasta, pesto, etc. Everything's fresh and local. Great wine list and cocktails. Only complaint: my lamb shoulder left something to be desired - a little over cooked and flavourless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CelebratingdaretoDined on 8/9/2014We didn't make to main course, but starters and mids were really good: delicious. We had a reason to celebrate earlier that day: thanks to stuff for creating a special atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2-day old wine by the glass??anonDined on 8/9/2014It took some persuading them that my glass of red wine was vinegary. When I asked how long the bottle had been open, they said 2 days. But not to worry, it had been in refrigerated. Yes, it was also served cold. They eventually gave me a glass out of a new bottle and it was delicious and the right temperature.
- Thoroughly enjoyedPacificRhumDined on 8/8/2014Great food and service. Love the room. A gem of a find.Special Features:
- solid food experiencewinebytheglassDined on 8/8/2014Really great service and the food was very good. As usual the wine by the glass options are very limited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/25/2014We were a group of six, so had a large table tucked in the back. Great use of the old space, exposed brick walls and nice bar. We had a selection of appetizers and mains family-style, including features - all of which were great. Good wine list, lots of unknowns - so lots more to try next time! It was not inexpensive so would probably not do it family-style again as this probably added 30% to the bill to get enough food for the group. Definitely recommend it, and would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique Italian Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014Great tasting and unique Italian food - as always a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in a long timeBoltUprightDined on 6/20/2014We entertained friends from out of town and had a great evening. We were hoping for an interesting meal and were not dissappointed - the food is not the usual predictable fare. The menu is well curated and the four of us worked our way through almost half of it. Every dish was superb. Serving sizes are just right. And the room is full of natural light. We'll go back and we'll be recommending it to friends.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/20/2014A relief from all the pretentious under-achieving pretenders in this town. Sustained by word-of-mouth (not PR) ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful.jolleegoodDined on 6/6/2014We came here for our 15th anniversary dinner after I received an email via open table to tell me about this place. We were very pleasantly surprised. Big open room with large windows. I personally would not want to be sat at a 2-top in the centre of the room and we weren't. Attentive, but not in your face, service. The food was divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUStildaswintonDined on 6/4/2014Superb, can't say enough good things about Cinara. All the dishes are prepared to perfection, and the staff are incredible. Superb, can't say enough, the food is perfection, and the staff incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/3/2014I love to eat and this place is for food lovers. From the simple Rhubarb fizz to the mid plate of rabbit gnocchi to the branzino, the food was among the best prepared I have tasted in Vancouver.Special Features:
- A welcome addition to the city!LapignocheuseDined on 6/3/2014We had a wonderful dinner (octopus salad was delicious! squid ink pasta devine! All 3 different desserts were well worth the calories!). Had read all the reviews on this website prior to booking: the negative ones were TOTALLY BASELESS, glad we decided to make up our own minds because it paid off, big time! One member of our party of three knocked over her glass of cava, but it was quickly & discreetly replaced (free of charge) & the service was super attentive while not intrusive: perfect combination. Would definitely (definitely) return ☺️Special Features:
- Great food in a gorgeous roomWolfordVIPDined on 5/30/2014Delicious food, both beautifully prepared and in decent portions, in a lovely (but not stuffy) room. Perfect for a date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely room and fabulous foodEMRRDined on 5/30/2014A warm and stylish room, furnished with mostly round tables made for great comfort and easy conversation. We made a reservation for a special family occasion. Our group has varying and very specific food preferences and happily each of us was delighted with every bite. Our server was friendly and attentive - and helped us choose some great wines from an interesting but unfamiliar list. We will definitely return soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/21/2014The food is solid but the pricey for the portion you get. The dishes were delicious but not exceptional that I would go back or recommend the place. Bread and Butter for $2.00? Come on! The bread was not even warm.
- a romantic escapeieatoutalotDined on 5/20/2014Awesome intelligent service! Great food! Amazing cocktails! This newly open gem should be on everyone's hit list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- paulVIPDined on 5/16/2014EXCELLENT FOOD FROM A FORMER PARTNER AT LA QUERCIA. REALLY GOOD PASTA EXCELLENT WINE LIST. VERY FRIENDLY SERVICE. FAIR PRICESSpecial Features:
- A Wonderful FindTops10Dined on 5/15/2014The food was excellent, fresh, creative, excellent mix of tastes. Loved the rhubarb martini and the salad and taster was very tasty. In all every item was good, the menu something different and tempting and the service excellent. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New restaurant in Old World SettingDisappointmentDined on 5/10/2014Saw this restaurant at Opentable website and gave it a try. Location was convenient but not at prime area of downtown. Me and my wife were 10 minutes early, hostess gave us a small 4 person table which was the best at the time. Ordered the chicken pate and was good. Tuna Carpaccio was a little salty due to meshed olives on the bottom but was fair. Main course was Branzino, sort of Sable fish. Cooked perfect as crispy on the skin and moist on inside. However, bottom vege was Cold...? Bisque sauce tasted not bad but cold vege totally turned me off. The Kolsch beer we've ordered was $12.50 per bottle and thought it was a little overpriced. Retro feel 70's setting with simple decor. Not interested in going back anytime soon.Special Features:
- sweet2eatDined on 5/8/2014We had an enjoyable dinner for a group of friends (2) of them celebrating their birthdays. The wait staff even put candles on the desserts for the birthday girls. We would definitely return! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/6/2014Outstanding ingredients! Flawless execution! Everything was crafted with noble simplicity that let the ingredients speak for themselves.I would recommend this to a friend.
- off the beaten pathOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/6/2014Cinara is a charming bistro tucked in the corner of the Victorian Hotel building at Pender and Homer. The interior is a comfortable combination of old and new; I loved that my table had a view of the open kitchen in one direction and a mini Japanese garden in an unused doorway the other direction. The food is fresh and seasonal - rhubarb, shrimp, asparagus, spring garlic with lamb were perfect on a spring evening. And, it tasted even better served on antique, mismatched china that must have come from the family buffet!The servers are friendly, helpful, and happy to talk about of the creations of their chefs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wasn't taken off the billOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/3/2014Overall amazing dining experience but soured by the server at the end of the night who didn't take a friend's dessert off the bill, she had taken one bite, felt that it tasted "off", expected the 6 dollars to be taken off $600 bill, when we asked server she said, no , it's still on the bill. What?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 6 reviews are from the Cinara reviews archive.
- My new favouriteTejoiDined on 4/25/2014Outstanding food, well prepared. The best halibut I've had. My only complaint is that we waited quite awhile between courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/19/2014What a great addition to downtown! It's a great room, with lots of windows, but still intimate. We went because of the La Quercia connection, and we certainly were not disappointed. The menu is small, but well thought out. What's interesting is listing of Cicchetti or snacks in addition to the starters. That allows for some creative grazing. We shared the rabbit terrine starter and the grilled octopus to begin, and we each had the duck as our main. Everything was wonderful. Interesting wines by the glass with some classic cocktails with a twist made for a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted to like it but...thirstyeaterVIPDined on 4/12/2014Menu and concepts were intriguing but the end result underwhelmed in terms of taste and many dishes were overcooked e.g., rabbit legs, sea bass, beef shoulder and chicken liver. The one dish I did find tasty was a octopus with pasta appetizer/secondi however the serving only had one small octopus and was $15. Also, others in my group were complaining about ventilation which was poor perhaps due to the age of the building. In sum, I really wanted to enjoy cinara as a welcomed new gem to the neighborhood but unfortunately...
- The duck pie was amazingAdamDined on 4/5/2014Really enjoyed the food. Great flavors. But the place smelt of burnt oil and the chairs were uncomfortable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingMargeDined on 4/1/2014Truly amazing experience from start to finish. We let the server choose our meal for us and the flavours were exquisite. She paired a gorgeous wine with the food for us at an approachable price point. No need to worry over ordering anything and the food and drink just kept flowing. It was a very freeing and relaxing experience. Loved the cosy space and enjoyed all of the food to the very last bite. I highly recommend this restaurant or maybe I shouldn't say that as I would love to keep this place a secret all to myself so that I can always get in:) Well done Cinara!!!Special Features:
- great new restaurant on PenderOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/29/2014Very much enjoyed the dining experience at Cinara in the Victorian Hotel on Pender. Great service with an interesting and extensive multi course menu, that makes sharing a fun option. Food was very good , only criticism is that the salt level was too high in a couple of items. Looking forward to returning to this great new spot!Special Features: