Cielo Authentic Italian
168 Passaic Avenue
Fairfield, NJ 07004Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Cielo Authentic Italian
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cielonj.com/
- Phone: (973) 808-1414
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Anthony Pucciarello
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full Service On & Off Site Catering available, as well as Trays To-Go
- Entertainment: Available Friday & Saturday nights
A word from Cielo Authentic Italian
Cielo Restaurant is Authentic Italian Cuisine. Chef Anthony’s goal, through his food, is to bring you back to your childhood or to a place that has left a fond memory. “Even if it only lingers for a few hours, I feel I have done my job.” ~Anthony Pucciarello. Homemade Pasta & Fish is his forte. All of Chef Anthony’s fish is flown in daily, such as Jon Dory & Albino Wild Salmon. Anthony is very personable and loves all of his customers and it shows here at Cielo. He personally meets with each and every one of his customers to help create and plan their special events. He is an inventive genius with such creations as his Inside-Out Meatballs and his Hide-n-Seek Mac & Cheese, which won second place at the NJ Food & Wine Festival. Cielo offers delicious food at affordable prices. Come in for our 3-course Prix Fixe Lunch $10.95 Tuesday. Even Sundays are special here at Cielo with Grandma’s Sunday Gravy only $21.95 with a glass of wine, salad and pasta.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cielo Authentic Italian reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (16)good for groups (15)fit for foodies (14)special occasion (12)vibrant bar scene (11)romantic (8)notable wine list (5)great for outdoor dining (4)great for lunch (4)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Jersey at its JersiestSMB51Dined on 11/21/2014Good food but music was deafening. Like a Jersey wedding reception. Literally could not talk to my wife across the table. Not the place to go to catch up with each other after a busy week Service was prompt and professional if a little cold and disinterested. But the food was good. Would maybe go back on a night when they don't have music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the service was not what we were use toOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2014The waiter did not listen to what we wanted and was not attentive at all.
- Choices and Quality!lmbc7Dined on 11/15/2014Our second time eating at Cieolo's and it did not disappoint. So many wonderful choices on the menu. Our table of 4 enjoyed 2 different appetizers and 4 different main dishes and everyone was more than pleased with their meals! Excellent, fresh, amazing flavors! Truly wonderful Italian food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlexGDined on 11/8/2014I had gnocchi, they were just OK. Came in a plate with much too much sauce. The sauce tasted very blend. My wife had pappardelle. They were too cooked and also came with a lot of sauce, not much taste. Service was long, and very average.
- Chef Anthony prepares wonderfulWinoDined on 10/31/2014meals; his preperation and presentation is alwasy outstandingSpecial Features:
- qualityTuxrobDined on 10/25/2014Authentic Italian food! Moderate portions that is all about quality and flavor. Fish was cooked to perfection and the meatball appy I had (inside out as I recall) was as good as my grandmothers and an amazing marinara sauce. A little work is needed on the wait staff to match the food. Nice wine list and house wines.Special Features:
- Hostess ughdidntluvitDined on 10/24/2014Very angry and unprofessional otherwise waiters were great and food was okSpecial Features:
- NOT BAD BUT NOT AMAZINGmikepDined on 10/18/2014First time here .. I would say that it was alright. Service was decent.. Not too attentive. The apps were really good. My wife loved her pasta dish.. BUT as for mine, I ordered a veal dish.. It was over fried, oily, and just not good. Very disappointed. hope it was just a bad night for the kitchen.Special Features:
- Romantic dinnerYummyDined on 10/18/2014Made a last minute reservation at Cielo. Food was delicious but very noisy and older crowd. Will def visit restaurant again. The artic char was delish and they were very accommodating to make changes to other dishes to fit our liking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ResturantNickDined on 10/4/2014I had the clams and mussels to start and found them to be very tender with a taste garlic & wine sauce. My wife had the flounder and I had the pork chop , both came with potatoes. Fish was very good but the pork chop although tender was a little bland. We split the apple and blueberry cobbler, not worth the price. We will definitely go back but we will skip desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Ambiancerpr1551Dined on 9/27/2014The food was fresh and the staff was attentive. The bar is great for watching the games and the dining area is loud but not to loud to hold any conversations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A REal GemCHAZDined on 9/20/2014A top notch restaurant where the food, service and ambience were truly outstanding. A delightful dining experience that made for an enjoyable romantic evening. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HaroldsHoneyDined on 9/19/2014Our group of four was very happy with the meals we selected. Our appetizers were delicious and generous. The house wine was wonderful. Our entrees were wonderful and attractively presented. the Chioppino was outstanding, as was the Atlantic Char. Our server was very attentive and professional. We will definitely go back to Cielo's again.Special Features:
- foodieDined on 8/24/2014This was the second time we were at Cielo, and it was just as wonderful as the first time. Food was outstanding and the service was great. We ate outside, which was just lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Favorite Italian Restaurantpairof8sVIPDined on 8/16/2014Love this place. The food is really good. Second time in 2 weeks and it was just as good as the first time. My special veal scallopini with long hots was an unusual preparation and absolutely delicious. The veal was lightly breaded and cooked so perfectly---it was thinly pounded and had a fabulous crunch and flavor profile that burst through on the back end.....The shrimp beeps were delicious and of course so were the inside-out meatballs. The chef adapted a fettuccine entree to one of my dinner companions and it was a huge hit. Staff just may be the friendliest in NJ!! We'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our first visitbirdsthewordVIPDined on 8/15/2014Service was attentive and helpful regarding the menu and specials. We tried 4 appetizers, fried calamari, scungilli in hot sauce, seafood salad and fried hot peppers. All apps were good, semolina bread was crispy, great for dipping into appetizer sauces. My arctic char entree was very good as was the chicken parmesan entree. The two veal saltimbocca entrees were tasty but the 3 large size cutlets were pounded out extremely paper thin. I prefer smaller, slightly thicker veal scallopini rounds. Ice box cake was good and the cannoli was just ok. The shell was not as crisp as I prefer and it was skimpy on the ricotta filling. I really enjoyed the roasted eggplant tapenade. I could have made a meal of that eggplant with the Italian bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A quiet night.RichardDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I mad a last minute reservation and upon arrival found the restaurant to be literally empty. I know August is slow in my area but there were only 2 other tables in the entire restaurant. We decided to stay and I am glad we did. The service was very nice and courteous. The food was even better. We shared the inside/out meatball and Shrimp Arrabiata for appetizer. both were very good. for main course we each had a different pasta dish. They both were outstanding. In addition, the prices were reasonable I hope the lack of patrons was only an anomaly. this place has great food but I enjoy the ambience of a bustling establishment. I will definitely returmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 32 reviews are from the Cielo Authentic Italian reviews archive.
- Wonderful Dinner!!CharlesDined on 7/19/2014We enoyed the food at Cielo's as we normally would. We both had a saladj and a veal dish. Again, both were first rate. The house Chardonay was excellent. The service was outstanding as well. I was a quiet summer Saturday night as many must have been away. However, we both had a very nice time. The outdoor area was done very nicely. Great Bar!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great live musicCaigyVIPDined on 7/11/2014Food was adequately good, as was service. They ran out of a signature dish early in the evening- you should never run out of your signature dish- and the place was only about 25% full. The standout the night we were there was the live music. Very versatile and talented singer. We didn't even know they had entertainment, and it was a pleasant surprise.
- Inside Out MeatballBrianDined on 6/25/2014You've got to try the inside out meatball, stuffed with Spaghetti.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CieloMaycar4Dined on 6/20/2014Service was very poor. Food was was the same. Would not consider this restaurant in the future
- One busy Friday nightWeber182VIPDined on 6/20/2014The food once again, without saying, is superb. The service was "slightly" over whelmed. I frequent Cielo as much as possible and this particular night was BUSY! To date this was the toughest criticism Ive given so far. Thanks to great company and fantastic food prepared by Chef Anthony. I cant wait for our next visit.Special Features:
- Yummy!LizfromNJVIPDined on 5/31/2014Our first time there and loved it. If you're a fish lover you MUST get the John Dory. Our waiter Carlos was great, just the right amount of attentiveness. Will def be going back!Special Features:
- Enjoyable meal!!!NightoutDined on 5/30/2014We ordered appetizers first: mussels were delicious and so tender, inside out meatball was yummy and so worth trying, fried calamari was very chewy and disappointing, scungilli salad was good too. For meals, wild salmon special was exceptional, chicken Parmesan and homemade ravioli and cioppino all very good. Portions were large and had a nice presentation. For dessert, chocolate lava cake and tiramisu both yummy. 4 adults and 2 children meal cost $330 with tip and tax.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- standard fareOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/29/2014Our group of 9 pilots had a thursday dinner, flying in from Islip. The table was ready and staff attentive but main course was very delayed... the waiter was apologetic but not much else. Food was tasty. I had an excellent Ahi tuna special that was really sushi grade.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastelessReeesterVIPDined on 5/29/2014I've been hearing a lot about Cielo and after actually getting there.... I wonder why? Tasteless food...cheap portions...with it right across from the airport, it tempted me to hop a plane right out of there.Special Features:
- not worth the tripOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/10/2014pages on menu full of oil& grease.. waiter more interested in bigger tables and familiar faces. food was fair the only great item was the mussels.
- Easter Sundaylike2eatoutDined on 4/20/2014We went to Cielo on Easter Sunday. Because of the holiday, it was crowded and very noisy! Our server did not come to our table for close to a half hour. The food was only fair, and quite expensive for what we got. I doubt if we would go there again. Rather disappointing.Special Features:
- A Good ExperienceCharlieVIPDined on 4/19/2014The food and service were very good... a little work and it could be better. It was noisy though. Really don't know why, it was pretty crowded but no one seemed to be making a lot of noise. We were more impressed on our first visit.Special Features:
- A pleasant surprise...CharlieVIPDined on 4/12/2014Based on other reviews we expected Cielo to be good, it was at least very good. The Angry Clams and Maine Mussels appetizer was out of this world. Cooked just right, with just the right amount of kick, the mussels were fabulous. Our entrees were also very good. Carlos, our waiter was really very good. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ENJOYABLE !MangiaBeneDined on 4/9/2014Our dining experience was very enjoyable which started with 1/2 price drinks at the bar (happy hour) We were greeted by a smiling barmaid who was very sweet & made great drinks. (the cosmo was excellent)!! We then proceeded to dining table for dinner. the four of us each ordered a different salad, (beet salad, mixed greens, caeser & argula, endive etc.) All four salads were big portions & the Entrees were short ribs, Arctic Char, & (2) grilled sole w/risotto. All entrees were well prepared & delicious. Our kudos to the CHEF !!! Can use improvement on service. We had to ask for bread after waiting quite awhile at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horror!HfromtheburbsVIPDined on 3/15/2014Horrible! The restaurant booked a birthday party for 25-30 people next to our table at 7:00 pm on a Saturday night Balloons, decorations etc. They would not move our table. We could not hear the persons in our group across the table from us. We could only talk to the person next to us. You can't have it both ways; either parties on Saturday night or separate diners. It doesn't matter because I would never go there again or recommend it to a friend. The waiter tried hard but recognized there was nothing he could do, once they refused to move our table. We should have gotten the point and walked out.
- Great fun at the bar!CharlesDined on 3/8/2014The bar was great! It was well designed and had quite much activity. My wife and I sat at the bar for 90 minutes after dinner. Jerry Tolve sang and played songs as a DJ. There was a small dance floor and you had up to 10 people dancing at one time. My wife actually asked me to dance! We had a great night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meatballsSammy5Dined on 2/22/2014We had the best spaghetti and meatballs ever! Food was deliciiousSpecial Features:
- Deliciously Italian!AnthonyDined on 2/20/2014I discovered Chef Anthony when he was producing fantastic food at Luce and his kitchen here produces top quality, classic Italian dishes. We had a great time beginning with cocktails and right on through appetizers, entrees and dessert. The service was very knowledgeable, attentive and professional. The prices are very reasonable, especially for the quality of food and service they provide. Highlights of the meal included the Inside Out Meatball appetizer, homemade pastas with delicious sauces, well seasoned meats and a perfectly balanced tiramisu. Personal requsts were handled graciously and accurately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food!CaprioDined on 2/15/2014Cielo is a nice place, but could use a bit more ambience Food was very good, the appetizer we had were excellent Portuguese shrimp and Polenta with spicy sausage. The entrees were good, but would like to come back and try some other selections. Veal saltimbocca and rigatoni with broccoli rabe', were our selection and both were good. Dessert was excellent, and nice portion for 2 to share- Tiramisu was our choice. All and all we had a great experience, the service was very good and pleasant. The bar service was good and drinks were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a gem in FairfieldOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/26/2014Would not have initially expected such fine Italian dining in this quasi-industrial setting across from a small airport in Fairfield! Quiet on the night we went, probably due to the extreme cold weather, because it surely was not because of any shortcomings in the food or warmth of the hospitality! Welcomed nicely, and served professionally. Our selections proved to be fresh, and prepared precisely. This restaurant seems to have found its niche in group parties, but our individual dining experience was excellent. Bread served was first-rate. Appetizers and salads were staged and timed properly, and service was upbeat and friendly. We had no qualms and will surely return when in the area, and crave upscale Italian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but no ambiancePiggyDined on 1/18/2014The food was very acceptable, though the choices were limited. The restaurant facility was a club previously which is evident by the overly large circular bar area and band area. The dining room itself is just off the bar area and is anything but intimate with the wall area on the front side being huge glass windows with no warm curtains. Should you want good food, reasonable prices and a lively bar/band scene...this is the place for you. The night we went they were hosting a group of 300 and the noise level was not what you wanted for an intimate dinner of friends.Special Features:
- DependsCheechDined on 12/27/2013Very loud. Maybe because of the group of eight sitting in the corner; so why don't they sit other people far enough away so people can hear themselves speak; there were plenty of open tables across the room. Appetizers of shrimps were excellent but the pastas were just okSpecial Features:
- Service was terrible......satOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/24/2013Service was terrible......sat at the table for 30 minutes before anyone came over. We realize that the restaurant was very crowded, perhaps overbooked. Restaurant was very cold. This was second visit. Would not go back.