69 Kilmarnock Street
Boston, MA 02215Neighborhood:
Kenmore Square / Fenway
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.churchofboston.com/
- Phone: 6172367600
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Saturday & Sunday: 3:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 12:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: John Rush
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Lauren Rubino 6172064790
- Entertainment: On the other side of Church is a 225 person capacity, full-fledged music venue adorned with original artwork. The stage plays host to many local and touring artists, with every type of music passing through. Be sure to check our calendar in the club section for upcoming events. Pool tables and several plasma televisions are also in the club, showing every Boston sporting event. So if you don't want to pay at Fenway, you can enjoy the game in the shadows of the park at Church.
A word from Church
Chef de Cuisine John Rush offers guests creative comfort food but now with an emphasis on seasonal and local New England cuisine Enjoy shared plates, bar bites and entrees in an urban chic setting. Church features a lengthy selection of beers from skilled local craft brewers as well as international brands. The award-winning Seven Deadly Sins cocktails and the new Four Horseman of the Apocalypse drink menu will send even the most innocent clamoring for the confession booth.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
Church reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (38)great for outdoor dining (26)fit for foodies (22)good for groups (22)great for brunch (17)great for lunch (10)vibrant bar scene (10)special occasion (8)romantic (6)hot spot (4)late-night find (4)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Yum, yum, yum!HungryButPickyDined on 10/18/2014Everything including the 7 Sins and 7 Virtues cocktail menu, the relaxed but energized ambiance, courteous and quick wait staff, the simple but creative starters, and the outstanding dinners with unique preparation and flavor combinations was all that my wife and I had hoped for driving in from New Hampshire for a date night out in Boston.Special Features:
- Star ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014I have never written a review but this experience warranted a review. My friend cannot eat dairy and always asks that the cheese be removed from dishes. While at brunch, our waitress made the note but unfortunately the cheese was still put in her brunch. Mistakes happen and as expected, the waitress apologized & took it right back. What blew me away was that my friend's plate was back in 5 minutes (clearly her meal was put to the front of the line), the waitress checked to make sure it was OK, and then the manager came over, made sure the meal was OK, and then removed it from the bill. While this is the type of service I expect from a restaurant, it rarely happens. Hats off to Church for knowing how to build loyal patrons. We'll be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/28/2014Get together dinner after the Sox Yanks games. Stephen was our server and he did a real nice job. Drinks before dinner, then a flat bread and fried pickles to start the night off were both served piping hot and tasty, a great start to the night. Dinners tonight were chicken and dumplings, steak tips, cat fish tacos and prince Edward island mussels. Good size portions, tasty and hot. All of us were too full to give desert a try. Kitchen puts out a good meal at a reasonable price and Stephen did a nice job of being there when we needed him but not overpowering the table with him being around too often. Nice night will return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good brunchrormethius77Dined on 9/27/2014met up with a friend for brunch, was please with the service we had received. the cocktails and meals we both ordered were delicious, although expensive. we both would return.Special Features:
- Will go back again, again, again...flood617VIPDined on 9/26/2014My husband, sister, and I went to Church's before a Sox game. Good value and good prices. Comfortable and friendly interior, friendly and attentive wait staff, and the food was excellent. I had steak tips - tender and full of flavor. Husband had "one of the best burgers he's ever had," and sister had a salad that she said tasted very fresh. It's a good thing I no longer live in the Fenway or else I'd be spending most of my paycheck at Church's.Special Features:
- Enjoyable mealFunatfenwayDined on 9/26/2014We were headed to the baseball game and went to Church for dinner. We were seated right away, the waitress was friendly, attentive and the food was excellent. Highly recommend the fried pickle chips and Mac and cheese. We were done in plenty of time, and the Sox lost.Special Features:
- Let's go to chruchJOHN02155VIPDined on 9/9/2014Never thought I would say that in a review, but it's a great little place in the Fenway! Good food and interesting decor. I was surprised how dead it was. which I liked, but I was told that after a Fenway game it gets crazy, and I was there on a Tuesday night so that could have been it. Of note, is the Deadly Sin and Heavenly virtue cocktail options-- FUN.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014We always enjoy going to Church. Great food, inventive drinks, wonderful staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual comfortable delicious mmmmmmJames999VIPDined on 9/5/2014Great place, had dinner before the RedSox game. Everytime I go I thonk we should come here more often. Fried pickles were brilliant Everyone in our group was happySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HungryHungryHippoVIPDined on 9/4/2014Everything was great except the food! The cod was abysmal. It wasn't just mediocre; it was actively bad and should be taken off the menu. Otherwise, the service was excellent, as was the ambiance!
- your neighborhood restaurant/ clubOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/31/2014I had an excellent hamburger and beer at this local boston restaurant. For parents coming out to visit their kids at either BU or Northeastern, this makes for a quick and relaxed place to dine after moving your kids stuff in all day. The club next store looked lively even on a sunday night.Special Features:
- Don't miss ChurchTimmyVIPDined on 8/29/2014Church offers an impressive selection of comfort food. Unless you crave a salad to start, the tomato soup is superb. My sirloin tips were flavorful and expertly paired with grilled asparagus and delicious truffle fries. One could have made a meal of the fries! My wife's blackened mahi mahi accompanied by collard greens was a hit. Other guests had the salmon, the lamb shank, and of course the mac and cheese. All were expertly prepared and presented.Special Features:
- Regular ChurchgoerMaggaDoraDined on 8/23/2014I moved into the Fenway neighborhood this spring and soon stumbled upon Church. Suffice to say that I have been a regular ever since. I have never had a meal there that was less than wonderful. They are super friendly, make great cocktails and serve good beer. What else can you really ask for??Special Features:
- OKAY ... will give it another tryBostonloverDined on 8/8/2014The food is okay ... just okay. The salt level in the prep is better than it was but overall, the food is not as good as it once was. This is frustrating because we want it to be that perfect neighborhood hangout. The outdoor patio is great and the drinks are good. Overall, they need to try harder.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice outdoor diningMaudieDined on 8/1/2014Nice place to sit outside. Food for the most part was bland. Drinks were great. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FenwayJulesDined on 7/30/2014Great place for a nice dinner before a game. Steak tips were cooked perfectly. Nice you can make a reservation and walk to the stadium without huge crowds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AtmosphereBirdie92Dined on 7/22/2014I read that Church was a great place for group dining, and I was indeed satisfied. My group and I dined outside during the late evening, and it was an absolutely incredible atmosphere. Great service and incredibly accommodating. Great experience.Special Features:
- patio brunchsushicatDined on 7/20/2014what can I say, had a great time, everyone was happy with their food, we had excellent service and felt very at home on the patio - e.g. a patio away from home, that is comfortable and inviting. I would definitely come back and try more than brunch... when in the area or even as it was, a destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fenway Alternative!CoupleatnightDined on 7/19/2014I have dined at Church on three occasions. The menu is creative, the atmosphere fun, and the service is quick, friendly and attentive. My most recent visit was an early dinner before a Red Sox game - chosen over the jam packed Eastern Standard or Island Creek Oyster House. It has the feel of a neighborhood place, but is definitely worth seeking out for those looking for something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunchfoodieDined on 7/13/2014On a nice Sunday afternoon, me and my friend decided to get brunch. As an impromptu decision we were worried if we could find a restaurant. Luckily through yelp we found this place. There were a bunch of seats available and not packed. I got a breakfast burrito and my friend got the french toast and bacon. Food came out within 10 minutes or so. It was delicious!The service afterwards, however, was a bit slow. We waited a while to receive our check and pay. Overall, I would go again!Delicious cheap food in a great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great brunchreviewer321Dined on 7/13/2014I went for brunch with a group of five friends. The service was great, the noise level was just right that we felt comfortable having a conversation, could hear each other, and were able to connect. It was a lot of fun. The food was good, and the blood orange mimosas and bottomless coffee would be worth going back for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service made this experiencePhoodieDined on 7/6/2014A friend and I were looking to have lunch somewhere new in the Fenway area. She had her 7 year old son in tow, so we were trying to find a place that would also work for him. Church doesn't have a kids menu, but our server Steven made the experience for my friends son a great one. He was very accommodating,spoke directly to her son and brought him "crispy bacon and French fries" (a 7 year olds feast). Steven had a great attitude, made helpful recommendations and checked on us often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Brunch!GB51Dined on 7/6/2014Really enjoyed the brunch! Creative/different choices from the typical brunch menu. Excellent food. Enjoyed the outdoor seating. Attentive service. Good drink menu.Special Features:
- Good on the 4thOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/4/2014Went with a small group on a rained out 4th of July. Service was great & very cheerful despite having to work a holiday. Food was good to great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing...UpdateVIPDined on 7/2/2014My wife and I and another couple were going to Sox game, so looking at Church on line looked like a neat place to try for pre-game dinner. I knew as soon as my friend's first two beer choices were out of stock we had problems, and was right. We decided to split a bunch of apps since they looked appealing, again first one ordered (Crab sliders) "were out of", mind this was a Wednesday night at 6:00 on a game night! The place wasn't even that crowded! When food we ordered came looked a lot betther than tasted (Brisket sliders were like leather, should have been sliced much thinner and flatbread pizzas burt). I think the owners of Church need to go to confession and ask for forgiveness, since the product is a sin.Special Features:
- Well-prepared, but under-spicedPhilCambridgeMADined on 6/30/2014Church is far better than the usual pre-redsox joints near the park, but I felt that although the dishes were all well prepared, they were woefully under-spiced and a bit boring. The staff were extremely nice, and the sidewalk dining on a quiet street made the overall experience enjoyable.Special Features:
- Enjoyable eveningRs3100Dined on 6/27/2014Stopped on a Friday evening. Interesting cocktail list worth exploring. Good fish special and very good burger with aioli-like sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place at FenwayloafloverDined on 6/27/2014We dined outside at Church prior to going to an event at Fenway Park. The service was great and we were able to split a number of appetizers between us and make it a meal. The fried pickles are excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 190 reviews are from the Church reviews archive.
- Nice spot near FenwayOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/14/2014Here for an early dinner before a nearby concert. First Heather, our server did a great job in guiding us through the menu and specials and then paced our meal to perfection. Here with my wife and daughter. Apps were flat bread, hummis and tomato soup. Didn't think much when I ordered it, like how can you mess up a soup...BUT THIS version was GREAT thick fresh tasting and FULL of flavor. Flat bread and hummis were also very very good. Dinner was a HUGE portion of med rare steak tips served with asparigus and truffle oil infused French fries...OUTSTANDING and crab cakes that were also very good. My pastry chef daughter ordered the devil dog for desert which we shared ... light and very tasty. We were happy from start to finish thanksSpecial Features:
- Worship at ChurchBarryDined on 6/12/2014A stop at Church prior to a Red Sox game is always the perfect appetizer to a night at Fenway. The food and service are always good and the prices are reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before movie spotTreatnightoutVIPDined on 6/6/2014We came before a Fenway flick at the movie theatre on a Friday. It was nice and quiet on a beautiful weather day. We sat outside and had prompt and courteous service. The mussels rocked. Flatbreads and Mac and Cheese delish. Would definitely do this again on a movie night!Special Features:
- Perfect mix of food & drink optionsLOVETOEATDined on 6/5/2014Great drink list and the food is unique but not too obscure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/5/2014Dined here for the first time tonight and can't wait to come back. First of all, our server was great. We stayed there a while and even though all the tables were full, not once did she pressure us to leave. Our server recommended the Portobello Burger since I wanted to order everything on the menu and couldn't decide. It was absolutely delicious and I can't wait to order it again. My friend got the nights special, BBQ Bluefish and loved it too. Can't wait to try their brunch. Definitely a great find.Special Features:
- GreatfoodieintrainingDined on 5/31/2014We have a fantastic meal at Church. We hit traffic on our way to the restaurant and they easily moved our reservation back and accommodated for us. I would highly recommend this place to anyone visiting the Boston area.Special Features:
- Great find!EGJGDined on 5/31/2014We had Red Sox tickets for an evening game and found Church as a Fenway/Kenmore restaurant that offered a great selection of comfort food in a casual fun environment. We arrived early before the restaurant opened for dinner and the staff couldn't of been more accommodating and friendly offering to seat us at our table early. Dinner and drinks arrived prompted and were delicious. Everyone enjoyed their food - we highly recommend the Caesar salad, shrimp ceviche, chicken and dumplings, steak tips and the Mac & cheese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Church Service DisappointedCanbridgeRoVIPDined on 5/24/2014The location for this place is nice. Ideal for a stop between the MFA or the Fenway. However, the staff seemed to be at lost this past weekend. Though the hostess seated us two right away, it took close to 15 minutes for the waitress to come to table. The place was not packed! I could see she was not having a good day, I tried to be warm and fun to ease her up, but it was obvious she was not ready to be nice. While we waited for our drinks and then waited, and waited for our meal. I could see that two people in separate tables had to send food back to the kitchen. Maybe the regular manager was out, the food was ok, but the whole service atmosphere did not encourage to go back anytime soon.
- Great food - shoddy serviceSubstituteSpinachVIPDined on 5/11/2014Family sat outside and promptly forgotten about for 30 minutes without water, a greeting etc. Wait staff aloof and mentally checked out. Spilled drinks, forgotten food requests and complete orders etc. Food was very good but service sub par - do not go with larger parties.Special Features:
- Good food, if you can waitcsaw75Dined on 5/8/20143 different servers approached our table and greeted us, all seemingly unaware of each other, before someone actually took our drink order. Subsequent visits to check on us to deliver drinks and food were rare and painfully delayed. Food was great, when it actually arrived, but I can get great good and significantly better service elsewhere.
- industryproDined on 5/4/2014No host… someone walked us to the table and walked away… We were sat by a a window, which would have been great, had one of the seats not been pressed up against one of the curtains. The food: the pork was super tough, and a steak knife wasn't given. After (both of us) trying to catch the server's attention, I ended up walking up to the bar to get one myself. The cod was just okay (very cold, very quick). The crab app, just okay. The Shrimp ceviche, just okay (shrimp mixed with salsa and served with over-salted potato chips). Overall, then menu sounds great, and probably is when executed properly. I guess my biggest concern is the lack of management presence on the floor. Where was the manager???
- Okay - service could be improvedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/1/2014The menu was what had attracted us to try Church. The food was okay -- nothing too fancy. The service was very slow even though we were only one of 3 tables in the place. It took forever for our server to come back to check on us after she took our order. She never checked on the meal, and didn't come back again to ask about desserts/drinks or even drop the check. We had to physically bring our check to the hostess to cash out because the server was nowhere to be found. We were there within the first hour of the restaurant opening on a Thursday night -- was expecting a bit more in the way of customer service.