Chou Chou Bistro
400 Dewey Boulevard
San Francisco, CA 94116Neighborhood:
Forest Hill / West Portal
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Chou Chou Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chouchoubistro.com/
- Phone: 4152420960
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Sunday 11:30 AM - 2:30 PM
Dinner: Tuesday-Sunday 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Michaels' team
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Sit down and enjoy yourself as our attractive staff work the dimly lit room, maneuvering tables, pushing aside dangling cylindrical lamps, and ensuring that well-heeled locals are having a grand old time.
- Private Party Contact: Event Coordinator 8777955444
- Entertainment: Pre-fix dinner @ $34.95 three courses
every day all night except on Friday and Saturday from 5:00 To 7:00 PM
- Special Events: TUESDAY & THURSDAY! FREE CORKAGE & No limit, bring all you can drink- champagne, red wine and white wine as well as dessert ones!
A word from Chou Chou Bistro
Chou Chou Bistro is a French Bistro with a Provencal feel. Homemade variety of chocolates and fruit tarts, along with seafood and meat. Chou Chou Bistro has a bright, colorful dining room with a casual yet chic bistro atmosphere.Continued
Make sure to find out our specials on a daily basis!
Make sure to find out our specials on a daily basis!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chou Chou Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (41)romantic (29)fit for foodies (26)special occasion (21)notable wine list (16)great for brunch (9)good for groups (9)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Open for Sunday BrunchdinewellDined on 10/12/2014I was thrilled to find Chou Chou's open for Sunday Brunch again. Had the salmon crepe which was excellent and loved the dressing on the salad that came with it. The apricot tart and the chocolate pear tart were delectable and our waitress knowledgeable and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Place to goAliasbabsVIPDined on 10/10/2014I was very please with Chou Chou. The food was very light and delicate and probably very authentic French. Service was more than excellent. The restaurant is very small. We went when it first opened so I do not know how crowded it can get. Certainly will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Quiet DiningColonaDined on 9/30/2014Duck Confit Wellington was fabulous, as were the appetizers (escargots, crab salad, endive salad) and the duck breast special. Wines by the bottle were delicious; we selected a Vacqueras for a good price. We asked to be allowed to take our time and had a wonderful long dinner. Desserts (tarts, floating island, creme caramel) were great. Best of all, the restaurant was quiet (this was a Tuesday night). The other places we ate at in San Francisco were crowded and noisy and rushed. This was the best food I ate in the city.Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 9/27/2014Excellent food Brought out very fast cooked well. Prepare well
- Great little neighborhood spotrawjrVIPDined on 9/26/2014Having driven by Chou Chou Bistro many times and always thinking we should give it a try, I finally made a reservation Friday night when my wife wanted to go our for a nice meal. We were very impressed by the food, my filet was cooked perfectly, the salmon special was very tasty with a creamy, but light sauce, the muscles were very good, and our desert was fabulous. The service was attentive (the chef checked in on us a couple times too), overall a very pleasant dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Several WOW dishesShariDined on 9/23/2014Moules (mussels) were very good - Mushroom Soufflé' OUTSTANDING and Meringue dessert very very good ... coffee was lukewarm and new pot took a while to make.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/20/20145 of us Marin food lovers enjoyed all of the appetizers & desserts. With the exception of the salmon not needing as much sauce, the remaining entrees (duck breast, pork chop, and duck leg were very good. Will definitely go again. Wait staff and Chef made us all feel most welcome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine close to homeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/11/2014While Chou Chou is a neighborhood gem, It deserves to be a destination spot for all San Francisco and all in the greater area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Empty on WednesdayMiscueDined on 9/10/2014The food was outstanding.....too bad this wonderful little Forest Hill spot was virtually empty the 2 hours I was here on a Wednesday...maybe a sandwich board out front? It is at the very busy intersection of Laguna Honda and Dewey...a reminder to drivers might bring them in. Our waiter seemed as if he had never waited a table before: not coming to the table until signaled, pouring wine so tentatively that it ran down the side of the bottle, reading us dinner specials when we placed our wine order( and we had made it clear we wanted the wine immediately). Maybe he was purposefully learning on a slow night.Special Features:
- I love this placejdg429Dined on 9/6/2014Chou Chou is such a hidden gem and is our favorite neighborhood restaurant. The food is always fantastic, and the setting is intimate and cozy. Chef Michaels is so welcoming, and always makes it a point to come out to say "hello." We've been coming here regularly for over a year, and we always leave happy. We'll continue coming back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingKMJ1960Dined on 9/6/2014I had been here over 8 years ago and the food was really good. Took friends here for dinner what a disappointment. Half the restaurant was empty, surly waiter and food sublime. I had beef bourgignon the meat was tough and smothered in sauce. After a few bites I gave up!Special Features:
- DecentsmgirlDined on 9/5/2014The service was great, attentive and friendly. The food was decent, we ordered a salad, escargot, mussels and steak tartare. The salad was a bit disappointing, but everything else was good.Special Features:
- Slipped a littleDougVIPDined on 8/24/2014Generally a 4-star "go to" neighborhood place, Chou Chou seemed to slip a little on our last visit. The service was a little distracted once it got busy and the food was not prepared as well as usual. Not sure what changed. We will be back because it has been very good on previous visits but I hope this is not the new standard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appetizers was goodmomoDined on 8/15/2014Enjoyed crab cakes and mussels appetizers, but was disappointed with the entrees. The Lamb shoulders was tough and scallops was very Salty. Thank goodness the duck leg with caramelized potatoes was delicious and we enjoyed alot.Special Features:
- GoodDiogenestheSearcherVIPDined on 8/12/2014Not as good as it used to be. The Salad Compose had greens that were lifeless and somewhat watery; however the Filet de Sole and Bifteck de Suspension were excellent and the presentation was excellent also. We both had tarts - one apricot, one chocolate/walnut and both were disappointing - rather bland in taste an on the apricot more base than fruit. Wine list was excellent. Service was excellent. Prices are reasonable.Special Features:
- France in West PortalFoodieboyDined on 8/7/2014With new management recently, Chou Chou has upped the scale since I was last there. Terrific service and a very good $39.00 3 course of choice menu, its an excellent neighborhood choice. The menu is large, but opt for the special as it is a deal. Good wine list of French possibilities and limited Napa. Reasonably priced. Try it!Special Features:
- A perfectly peaceful dinnerrosinaDined on 8/5/2014I'm reviewing as though the toilet was NOT out of order (because it can't possibly be broken often). Food was fantastic. Servers were polite and attentive (asked several times if everything was to our liking, water always refilled promptly). Not nearly as little as it looks from the outside. We skipped dessert because we really needed to use a restroom! I hope to return when I'm not having such a serious discussion and can thoroughly enjoy the food. Parking Tip: Driveway to parking lot looks only accessible (legally) from southbound Laguna Honda Blvd, but while dining at the window, we saw plenty of cars pull in from eastbound Dewey and from left-turn lane of northbound Laguna Honda; it may not look legal, but nobody was cited.Special Features:
- Diner at Chou ChoudavidmillvalleyDined on 7/29/2014Parking is a problem as noted by others The wines were priced quite high considering the quality Generally the food/dinner was good except for some of the deserts --the tarts were all of poor quality The big problem was the service. We were there on a Tuesday--maybe 16 covers-- service was just slow! We had to catch the waiters and ask to order etc Too many other good places so we won't return
- Always a Delight to Dine HereMishkaDined on 7/27/2014We love Chou Chou. It's our "go to" place for meeting family, enjoying special events and even enjoying a romantic dinner. The food is always expertly prepared and arrives looking as nice as it tastes. We had a mix of entrees - duck, mussels, fresh salmon, pasta and all were great. The secret here is also in the wine list - yes, you can enjoy a bottle of Opus One but you also can choose from some very good French wines at very reasonable prices. All wines can be sipped or served and paired with food. Service was excellent - our server was delightful and helped us choose entrees and wines. Ah, yes, the desserts. Yummy. Bon appetite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just wonderfulRob94121Dined on 7/25/2014The whole experience was great, the food was delicious. The duck leg was amazing! The only critique I could note was the creme brûlée: while delicious the sugar top was slightly soggy, it didn't crack like it should. Other than that, a perfect dinner. We will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinerVIPDined on 7/18/2014I have loved each of my experiences with this fine French Restaurant - food, service and just the general ambiance is always fantastic. Par excellence. My experience tonight, most noteworthy. My salmon and my companions duck on the fixed price menu were very special. Job well done and don't miss a spectacular French Restaurant in the heart of the West Portal.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/12/2014I am a repeat customer.. Love the food. Always high quality and attention by owner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Service & On The Average FoodFirsttimedinerDined on 7/12/2014We arrived a little earlier than the 5:30 pm dinner reservation and opening time and was seated immediately. Service was very good throughout our dinner. Very impress with the Crab Salad but disappointed with the Beef Bourgainon. Overall, the dinner was enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and deliciousFoggyVIPDined on 6/29/2014We are in the process of remodeling my husband's grandmother's house, so we will be looking for restaurants nearby. We decided to try Chouchou tonight and we were delighted. The service was friendly and efficient. The food was excellent, and a little different than the same items that nearly every place serves. We both had the romaine salad, beautifully presented, nice dressing. I had the shrimp entree served on fresh green beans with polenta. It was very good. My husband had the salmon which was also beautifully presented and tasty. Desserts were good. We had a pear tart and a chocolate walnut tart. Great Prosecco!Special Features:
- Not impressedMomiDined on 6/28/2014I saw an ad on TV, and decided to come here on my friend's birthday celebration. The restaurant interior needs upgrade, and the food was okay, not so impressive.
- Dependably pleasantTubasajoyVIPDined on 6/28/2014This restaurant is a fine place for lunch (I haven't gone there for dinner) with carefully prepared, delicious French dishes and beverages. I make it a point to return a few times each year.Special Features:
- The following 1558 reviews are from the Chou Chou Bistro reviews archive.
- Delicious food, excellent servicekkr1Dined on 6/20/2014Chou Chuo has become one of our favorites. We have been many times and never been disappointed. The service is always excellent. Some of our favorite dishes include the mushroom soufflé, the filet of sole, and the creme brûlée. This our go to spot when we want to reconnect and have a truly lovely evening without the noise and fuss of some of the better know restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BalboaBillDined on 6/19/2014Much improved menu. Friendly staff and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistently yummyKCooperVIPDined on 6/19/2014I have brought my friends and family to Chou Chou. Chef Michael always delivers delicious and authentic dishes.Special Features:
- traditional french farefoodieDined on 6/15/2014We had excellent appetizers of their salad with lettuces, goat cheese, strawberries, etc and my provincial mussels were excellent. The salmon with artichoke was a bit overcooked and smothered in dill/cream sauce and the beef burgundy was tasty but meat was tough and puff pastry was crewy rather than crispy. The creme brulee was excellent but the coffee tasted like it had been made the day before.
- Chou Chou.. YES!kry510Dined on 6/14/2014I came here for the Dine About Town with some girlfriends and we all enjoyed the experience. The staff is friendly and offer great service. The food is also amazing. I highly recommend the pommes frites and mussels. You won't regret it.Special Features:
- No corkage fee = winPaulinaDined on 6/12/2014I came here for the Dine About Town experience. I loved their giant appetizer portion of mussels. It was absolutely delicious. Their Beef Bourguignon dish was perfect. Their duck dish however, was a little too herby- and not cooked well. All in all, I would come back and bring my own wine. :) Excellent wait-staff and very good service.
- It's back!HenryVIPDined on 6/10/2014I had not been to Chou Chou in many years, having had a disappointing experience then. So I was delighted that our recent dinner was such a delight. My thanks to Michael and his attentive and well trained staff for a lovely evening.Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/10/2014The reviews on yelp were mixed so I wasn't sure what it would be like'. Our French waiter was perfect - friendly, and checked on us, but not too much. Food came quickly and was very good. I was there when DINE About Town was in force and things went smoothly. I got the mussels as an appetizer and they were delicious and such a huge portion that I had very little room for the main course but I am not complaining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet bistro at noonOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/6/2014It was a great experience! The waitress was attentive and the food was delicious. The only critique is that the glass of wine was very small (maybe 3/8 of the glass full). It was also very quiet for lunch on a Friday, but I t was very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2014We went there on the first day of Dine About Town. It was a Sunday, they probably did not anticipate that many customers so they went out what we wanted to order. In alternative, they offered something that was off the menu but it was just as good if not better (imo) Many restaurants would simply tell you they went out and ask you to pick something else from the menu, but this place went beyond and made each of us a very satisfied customer.Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 5/30/2014Great neighbor hood. Rest. Everything was wonderful we,will return soon. Always excellent French food
- Chou Chou BistroBobadeliciousDined on 5/29/2014Always great service and tasty foods. Love the Tuesday-Thursday "No Corkage" days.Special Features:
- Good value!Luvs2eatgoodfoodDined on 5/27/2014Very nice prix fixe menu. Although the ownership has changed, the unique recipes have been retained. The service is always exemplary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/23/2014Great local restaurant. Parking near by. Very friendly staff, service was efficient and polite. Thank you