Chou Chou Bistro
400 Dewey Boulevard
San Francisco, CA 94116Neighborhood:
Forest Hill / West Portal
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Chou Chou Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chouchoubistro.com/
- Phone: 4152420960
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Sunday 11:30 AM - 2:30 PM
Dinner: Tuesday-Sunday 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Michaels' team
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Sit down and enjoy yourself as our attractive staff work the dimly lit room, maneuvering tables, pushing aside dangling cylindrical lamps, and ensuring that well-heeled locals are having a grand old time.
- Private Party Contact: Event Coordinator 8777955444
- Entertainment: Pre-fix dinner @ $34.95 three courses
every day all night except on Friday and Saturday from 5:00 To 7:00 PM
- Special Events: TUESDAY & THURSDAY! FREE CORKAGE & No limit, bring all you can drink- champagne, red wine and white wine as well as dessert ones!
A word from Chou Chou Bistro
Chou Chou Bistro is a French Bistro with a Provencal feel. Homemade variety of chocolates and fruit tarts, along with seafood and meat. Chou Chou Bistro has a bright, colorful dining room with a casual yet chic bistro atmosphere.Continued
Make sure to find out our specials on a daily basis!
Make sure to find out our specials on a daily basis!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chou Chou Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (52)romantic (35)fit for foodies (34)special occasion (29)notable wine list (18)good for groups (10)great for brunch (10)great for lunch (10)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (1)Show More
- Dine close to homeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/11/2014While Chou Chou is a neighborhood gem, It deserves to be a destination spot for all San Francisco and all in the greater area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Empty on WednesdayMiscueDined on 9/10/2014The food was outstanding.....too bad this wonderful little Forest Hill spot was virtually empty the 2 hours I was here on a Wednesday...maybe a sandwich board out front? It is at the very busy intersection of Laguna Honda and Dewey...a reminder to drivers might bring them in. Our waiter seemed as if he had never waited a table before: not coming to the table until signaled, pouring wine so tentatively that it ran down the side of the bottle, reading us dinner specials when we placed our wine order( and we had made it clear we wanted the wine immediately). Maybe he was purposefully learning on a slow night.Special Features:
- I love this placejdg429Dined on 9/6/2014Chou Chou is such a hidden gem and is our favorite neighborhood restaurant. The food is always fantastic, and the setting is intimate and cozy. Chef Michaels is so welcoming, and always makes it a point to come out to say "hello." We've been coming here regularly for over a year, and we always leave happy. We'll continue coming back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingKMJ1960Dined on 9/6/2014I had been here over 8 years ago and the food was really good. Took friends here for dinner what a disappointment. Half the restaurant was empty, surly waiter and food sublime. I had beef bourgignon the meat was tough and smothered in sauce. After a few bites I gave up!Special Features:
- DecentsmgirlDined on 9/5/2014The service was great, attentive and friendly. The food was decent, we ordered a salad, escargot, mussels and steak tartare. The salad was a bit disappointing, but everything else was good.Special Features:
- Slipped a littleDougVIPDined on 8/24/2014Generally a 4-star "go to" neighborhood place, Chou Chou seemed to slip a little on our last visit. The service was a little distracted once it got busy and the food was not prepared as well as usual. Not sure what changed. We will be back because it has been very good on previous visits but I hope this is not the new standard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appetizers was goodmomoDined on 8/15/2014Enjoyed crab cakes and mussels appetizers, but was disappointed with the entrees. The Lamb shoulders was tough and scallops was very Salty. Thank goodness the duck leg with caramelized potatoes was delicious and we enjoyed alot.Special Features:
- GoodDiogenestheSearcherVIPDined on 8/12/2014Not as good as it used to be. The Salad Compose had greens that were lifeless and somewhat watery; however the Filet de Sole and Bifteck de Suspension were excellent and the presentation was excellent also. We both had tarts - one apricot, one chocolate/walnut and both were disappointing - rather bland in taste an on the apricot more base than fruit. Wine list was excellent. Service was excellent. Prices are reasonable.Special Features:
- France in West PortalOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/7/2014With new management recently, Chou Chou has upped the scale since I was last there. Terrific service and a very good $39.00 3 course of choice menu, its an excellent neighborhood choice. The menu is large, but opt for the special as it is a deal. Good wine list of French possibilities and limited Napa. Reasonably priced. Try it!Special Features:
- A perfectly peaceful dinnerrosinaDined on 8/5/2014I'm reviewing as though the toilet was NOT out of order (because it can't possibly be broken often). Food was fantastic. Servers were polite and attentive (asked several times if everything was to our liking, water always refilled promptly). Not nearly as little as it looks from the outside. We skipped dessert because we really needed to use a restroom! I hope to return when I'm not having such a serious discussion and can thoroughly enjoy the food. Parking Tip: Driveway to parking lot looks only accessible (legally) from southbound Laguna Honda Blvd, but while dining at the window, we saw plenty of cars pull in from eastbound Dewey and from left-turn lane of northbound Laguna Honda; it may not look legal, but nobody was cited.Special Features:
- Diner at Chou ChoudavidmillvalleyDined on 7/29/2014Parking is a problem as noted by others The wines were priced quite high considering the quality Generally the food/dinner was good except for some of the deserts --the tarts were all of poor quality The big problem was the service. We were there on a Tuesday--maybe 16 covers-- service was just slow! We had to catch the waiters and ask to order etc Too many other good places so we won't return
- Always a Delight to Dine HereMishkaDined on 7/27/2014We love Chou Chou. It's our "go to" place for meeting family, enjoying special events and even enjoying a romantic dinner. The food is always expertly prepared and arrives looking as nice as it tastes. We had a mix of entrees - duck, mussels, fresh salmon, pasta and all were great. The secret here is also in the wine list - yes, you can enjoy a bottle of Opus One but you also can choose from some very good French wines at very reasonable prices. All wines can be sipped or served and paired with food. Service was excellent - our server was delightful and helped us choose entrees and wines. Ah, yes, the desserts. Yummy. Bon appetite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just wonderfulRob94121Dined on 7/25/2014The whole experience was great, the food was delicious. The duck leg was amazing! The only critique I could note was the creme brûlée: while delicious the sugar top was slightly soggy, it didn't crack like it should. Other than that, a perfect dinner. We will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinerVIPDined on 7/18/2014I have loved each of my experiences with this fine French Restaurant - food, service and just the general ambiance is always fantastic. Par excellence. My experience tonight, most noteworthy. My salmon and my companions duck on the fixed price menu were very special. Job well done and don't miss a spectacular French Restaurant in the heart of the West Portal.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/12/2014I am a repeat customer.. Love the food. Always high quality and attention by owner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Service & On The Average FoodFirsttimedinerDined on 7/12/2014We arrived a little earlier than the 5:30 pm dinner reservation and opening time and was seated immediately. Service was very good throughout our dinner. Very impress with the Crab Salad but disappointed with the Beef Bourgainon. Overall, the dinner was enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and deliciousFoggyVIPDined on 6/29/2014We are in the process of remodeling my husband's grandmother's house, so we will be looking for restaurants nearby. We decided to try Chouchou tonight and we were delighted. The service was friendly and efficient. The food was excellent, and a little different than the same items that nearly every place serves. We both had the romaine salad, beautifully presented, nice dressing. I had the shrimp entree served on fresh green beans with polenta. It was very good. My husband had the salmon which was also beautifully presented and tasty. Desserts were good. We had a pear tart and a chocolate walnut tart. Great Prosecco!Special Features:
- Not impressedMomiDined on 6/28/2014I saw an ad on TV, and decided to come here on my friend's birthday celebration. The restaurant interior needs upgrade, and the food was okay, not so impressive.
- Dependably pleasantTubasajoyVIPDined on 6/28/2014This restaurant is a fine place for lunch (I haven't gone there for dinner) with carefully prepared, delicious French dishes and beverages. I make it a point to return a few times each year.Special Features:
- Delicious food, excellent servicekkr1Dined on 6/20/2014Chou Chuo has become one of our favorites. We have been many times and never been disappointed. The service is always excellent. Some of our favorite dishes include the mushroom soufflé, the filet of sole, and the creme brûlée. This our go to spot when we want to reconnect and have a truly lovely evening without the noise and fuss of some of the better know restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BalboaBillDined on 6/19/2014Much improved menu. Friendly staff and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistently yummyKCooperVIPDined on 6/19/2014I have brought my friends and family to Chou Chou. Chef Michael always delivers delicious and authentic dishes.Special Features:
- traditional french farefoodieDined on 6/15/2014We had excellent appetizers of their salad with lettuces, goat cheese, strawberries, etc and my provincial mussels were excellent. The salmon with artichoke was a bit overcooked and smothered in dill/cream sauce and the beef burgundy was tasty but meat was tough and puff pastry was crewy rather than crispy. The creme brulee was excellent but the coffee tasted like it had been made the day before.
- Chou Chou.. YES!kry510Dined on 6/14/2014I came here for the Dine About Town with some girlfriends and we all enjoyed the experience. The staff is friendly and offer great service. The food is also amazing. I highly recommend the pommes frites and mussels. You won't regret it.Special Features:
- No corkage fee = winPaulinaDined on 6/12/2014I came here for the Dine About Town experience. I loved their giant appetizer portion of mussels. It was absolutely delicious. Their Beef Bourguignon dish was perfect. Their duck dish however, was a little too herby- and not cooked well. All in all, I would come back and bring my own wine. :) Excellent wait-staff and very good service.
- It's back!HenryVIPDined on 6/10/2014I had not been to Chou Chou in many years, having had a disappointing experience then. So I was delighted that our recent dinner was such a delight. My thanks to Michael and his attentive and well trained staff for a lovely evening.Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/10/2014The reviews on yelp were mixed so I wasn't sure what it would be like'. Our French waiter was perfect - friendly, and checked on us, but not too much. Food came quickly and was very good. I was there when DINE About Town was in force and things went smoothly. I got the mussels as an appetizer and they were delicious and such a huge portion that I had very little room for the main course but I am not complaining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet bistro at noonOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/6/2014It was a great experience! The waitress was attentive and the food was delicious. The only critique is that the glass of wine was very small (maybe 3/8 of the glass full). It was also very quiet for lunch on a Friday, but I t was very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2014We went there on the first day of Dine About Town. It was a Sunday, they probably did not anticipate that many customers so they went out what we wanted to order. In alternative, they offered something that was off the menu but it was just as good if not better (imo) Many restaurants would simply tell you they went out and ask you to pick something else from the menu, but this place went beyond and made each of us a very satisfied customer.Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 5/30/2014Great neighbor hood. Rest. Everything was wonderful we,will return soon. Always excellent French food
- Chou Chou BistroBobadeliciousDined on 5/29/2014Always great service and tasty foods. Love the Tuesday-Thursday "No Corkage" days.Special Features:
- Good value!Luvs2eatgoodfoodDined on 5/27/2014Very nice prix fixe menu. Although the ownership has changed, the unique recipes have been retained. The service is always exemplary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/23/2014Great local restaurant. Parking near by. Very friendly staff, service was efficient and polite. Thank you
- The following 1544 reviews are from the Chou Chou Bistro reviews archive.
- One of the best dining experiences!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/17/2014This was by far one of the best dining experiences we have had in a really long time. From the minute we walked in the door, we were well cared for by a friend waitstaff who gave us great recommendations on both food and wine. Everything was absolutely delicious - in particular the Mushroom Ravioli in a truffle cream sauce, the Beef Bourguignon and the Chocolate Pear tart were to die for. We enjoyed the simple, but attentive touch of your napkin being refolded for you if left the table. The pace of the service was fantastic - never rushed and never left waiting too long between courses. An exceptional dining experience all around. We have already told all of our friends and family that they must go, and we can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Lovely dinnerSmackafeeDined on 5/11/2014We had a nice Mother's Day dinner. They had a prix fix menu that had several options, including those that worked for gluten-free diets, and everything was tasty. The French onion soup (as you might expect), was one of the best I've had, including several in France. One star removed for the wine being somewhat warm. We asked the waiter to chill them slightly, and that greatly improved them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro worthy of Parisups2011VIPDined on 5/9/2014Chouchou is our favorite French bistro in SF. The food and service are both fantastic. Can't wait for our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesFeedmewellVIPDined on 5/3/2014We've been going to Chou Chou for many years and have always enjoyed the food and the experience. We've seen more than one chef (3 or 4) over the years and they excel in different ways. The current chef creates mouth-watering and satisfying meals. One constant has been the excellent tart desserts. Another is the unfailingly polite and charming wait staff. Chou Chou is a keeper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice surprisebrilldoggyDined on 5/3/2014I haven't been to this restaurant before but based on open table comments, we gave it a try. It was a great neighborhood find. The food was good especially the french onion soup, and the service was wonderful. The owner/chef came to each table to talk, and the atmosphere was relaxed. We went with an elderly relative who had special needs and the restaurant went out of their way to accommodate her. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family DinnerGuessVIPDined on 4/29/2014The Pork Chop was prefect, well down but not dry. The Duck Leg is also Perfectly cooked, I normally don't like Duck in French cooking, but I will order this one again. The scallops are very good, but the sauce is a little too rich for me. The Crab Salad is excellent. The Services is Outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Chef!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/25/2014I had always wanted to visit Chou Chou and was not disappointed. The menu has lovely seasonal offerings as well as classic French items like Mussels Mernieres and Escargots. Chef Michaels was amazing from the moment we arrived; even coming out of the kitchen to help us park! The food was lovely and the wine pairings suggested were excellent. They let my friend and I sit as long as we wanted and were attentive but not hovering. We were able to catch up, eat and drink (with even Chef pouring!) to our content. Definitely a neighborhood gem that no tourist will ever find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.