336 Laskin Rd
Virginia Beach, VA 23451Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chopsvb.com/
- Phone: 7572229508
- Hours of Operation:
Open for Lunch Monday through Saturday at 11 AM and Brunch on Sunday at 9 AM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Mackenzie Hess
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Chops
Chops offers incredible seafood, mouth watering steaks and delicious wine and cocktails in an upscale, energetic and comfortable atmosphere. Featuring Lunch daily and Sunday brunch as well as a happy hour food menu in the bar. Catering to locals and visitors alike, Chop's will be your new favorite restaurant in Virginia Beach.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Chops reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (36)romantic (24)fit for foodies (20)great for outdoor dining (18)neighborhood gem (18)notable wine list (16)good for groups (13)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (8)great for brunch (4)late-night find (4)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Great SteaksReggieraysDined on 9/16/2014Solid steakhouse, great food, great wine list, knowledgeable servers, great homemade deserts....been there a few times and will certainly go again.Special Features:
- CHOPS IS GOOD ALL YEARHRDinerDined on 9/13/2014Chops is a nice resturant on Laskin Road in walking distance from the oceanfront at 31st Street (we drove to it this past Saturday since we live in Chesapeake). Parking was relatively easy and the staff was very friendly and accomodating from the time we walked through the door until we departed. The only minor knock would be at the time we were at the resturant there weren't many people dining and our food seemed to take a really long time to get out of the kitchen. We may have hit it at a shift change or something, but both the appetizer and entree took a while, but on the positive side both were delicious and worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2014We enjoyed this very much. It's a beautiful restaurant with good service and good foodSpecial Features:
- Great crab cakes!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014When reading reviews I found restaurant to be pricey, so when I saw various coupons for Chops I bought one. Great idea. We went on a Sunday evening. The waiter was named Mike, great energy, funny, informative and attentive. Loved having him take care of us. The food was perfect. Crab cakes were the same as everyone described...huge, flavorful and full of crabmeat. My husband had the salmon and loved it as well. Just go to Chops....you won't regret it just get some help with the bill by getting yourself a Groupon, lol!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took a chance and was very pleased!OldywedsDined on 9/6/2014At the beach for our anniversary and randomly chose a restaurant in the hotel guide. Great food, service, atmosphere, and price. Sand flies in the front room were the only annoyance. We will have to visit the back room next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was okayDeniseDined on 9/4/2014Food was just okay. I guess I was expecting great considering the prices. The steak was cooked to perfection but not a lot of flavor. Asparagus was terrible and tasted bland. The dessert, which was not on the menu, was the best.Special Features:
- over-pricedNilesJDined on 9/3/2014For the prices on the menu I was disappointed. The steak had excellent flavor but was very stringy and tough. I guess their A/C was broken because it was very warm inside, making it uncomfortable for me. We could have easily gotten a better meal at a more moderately priced steak house.Special Features:
- Always greatSteakLoverDined on 9/2/2014I had a 10oz filet cooked medium. It was just a hair over done for me, but that was my fault. I should have ordered medium rare. Either way, it was great, as usual.Special Features:
- Best meal in years!VanceRTDined on 8/28/2014Scallops and lobster dinners were way above expectations. Everything about the experience was perfect. My wife and I highly recommend Chops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014I thoroughly enjoyed Chops. Great location, terrific food. Friendly staff.Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurantFood4lifeDined on 8/27/2014I highly recommend Chops for a romantic dinner or to celebrate a special occasion. The food was delicious and the ambiance and service was impeccable. Awesome!!Special Features:
- Summer Lovin'Gemini0660Dined on 8/23/2014Being a casual Saturday, we decided to 'dress down' and eat on the patio...what fun! We had David, as our server, who is a hoot, we had drinks & apps, then, after we ordered our entrees, he pointed out my entree was half-price during Happy Hour (only at the bar or on the patio!) Yea, me! Who knew? It wasn't advertised, and I don't really know if this is an 'everyday' thing, or just slack season, but I was beyond stoked! We had a great time relaxing & people watching. If you're a local, I highly recommend the 'early bird' (happy hour runs until 7pm!) dining on the patio, or in the bar if weather prohibits! Mangia!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yorktown FoodiesYorktownFoodiesDined on 8/20/2014My wife and I were in Virginia Beach with some friends for a weeks vacation. We found this restaurant in our hotel package of dining options. A great discovery. We often go to Zoe's & Salacia's, we will now have to include Chops as a destination for a great meal and a great bottle of wine. I believe the ambiance will be better once the beach season winds down, but it was still a great find. The steaks were great and the wine list was great. Service was good. Glad we found it!!Special Features:
- Bad first impressionMsBLDined on 8/17/2014Initial service was terrible. We were at our table almost 10 minutes and no one came to greet us, much less take our order. When we complained about being ignored, service improved. Food was okay, but experience was ruined because we had to get upset and complain before we were serviced. At the time there was more waitstaff than diners in the restaurant, so no excuse for the poor service. There are too many good places to eat in Virginia Beach to deal with this kind of establishment. We probably will not return.
- Fist VisitLMSAPGVIPDined on 8/8/2014Was surprised when Chops popped up on Open Table with availability on Saturday nite in Virginia Beach "In season" but decided to give it a try. Our first disappointment came with the the 2 martinis which were only about 3/4 full and about 10 minutes late. Our mussel appetizer was below average. It took forever to get bread. The NY strip was OK--the other meal -2 lobster tails was a ripoff--they were not equal in size and even the larger one was small. There was no bacon in the "bacon mac n cheese". Wait service was slow. After we passed on dessert and I updated the waiter on all the above, he told us dessert was on the house. Even they took forever to get there!!!
- Food was great!FoodproVIPDined on 8/6/2014The food was amazing! Service was slow. The waitress kept forgetting things. It was irritating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always wonderfulAlewDined on 8/6/2014this is my 3rd time for dinner and it is always cooked perfectly and tastes so good. The first time I had the shrimp pasta and it was very good but you can't beat the steaks. Yes it is very expensive but for me if you are going out for steak why not get the best.Special Features:
- Good Dining Experienceadamstm1635Dined on 8/2/2014Has a wide variety of food options. Definitely would be a good place to go if you are looking for seafood options. We had a reservation and were seated immediately which was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chops of VB is an excellent choicediningaddictDined on 7/26/2014We enjoyed the wet aged beef along with an excellent bottle of wine. Our server was excellent and friendly. A great place to enjoy an evening with your lady.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014The food was good, but overpriced. It wasn't what I was expecting at all. I wouldn't recommend.Special Features:
- disappointedGbpaintingDined on 7/26/2014When you pay $46 for a steak, you expect something exceptional..... the steak that I had was mediocre at best. I ordered it cooked medium, and it looked like it should, but it was tough. The food was no better than what you would get at Applebees, or any other chain restaurant for $12 - $13. I don't mind paying good money for good food. This place was very disappointing.
- Proved wrong....Yay!Eat73Dined on 7/21/2014We had actually avoided this restaurant when they initially opened due to extensive amount of negative reviews on other sites. Curiosity killed the cat and we could not be happier! Great food cooked to order, fair prices for food quality and great service. Our waiter was awesome!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always EnjoyableBeachflowerDined on 7/18/2014The noise level in the bar was vibrant without being distracting. The food was fabulous and Christopher, our server, was friendly and professional. A great experience as always!Special Features:
- Chops LOVES Black PepperdinerDined on 7/11/2014Good service, good ambiance, but literally EVERYTHING had black pepper in it. The fish, the risotto, the steak, the mac and cheese, the crab, the onions rings... everything. SO much black pepper.
- Good restaurantkcsreviewsDined on 7/9/2014Overall great service! Nice place! The only problem was that my medium rare steak was slightly overcooked.Special Features:
- ChopsTdavisVIPDined on 7/5/2014Service was great! Food was good and this is a great location near the oceanfront to have a stroll on the beach after dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!GenderDined on 6/28/2014Our server was awesome. He knew the menu and was very helpful. The atmosphere was great and the food was fantastic. It was great to spend my husband and my children's birthdays there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, wrong foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014I ordered a NY Strip and was given a Top Sirloin. Food was good otherwise, just wasn't too happy to get the wrong food.
- Great steak! Not a great valueNotAFoodieDined on 6/20/2014So when you pay close to $200 for a meal you may have expectations such as a table being ready on time or the bar tender being capable of mixing a Mojito or perhaps locals not hitting on your girlfriend at the bar while waiting on the table you reserved. If you have any of these expectations than do not consider dinning at Chops. On the other hand the waiter was friendly and the steak and lobster were amazing. The sides left much to be be desired.
- Excellent food and ambiencePaulaDined on 6/15/2014Been to this restaurant 3 times now. Always great food. Went on Father's Day. Waiters hustle. My only complaint Is that no one knows what to do with an Open Table guest so that we are "checked in" to get our points. They were apologetic and said they would leave a note for the owner. This is not the first participating restaurant that had no idea what Open Table was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Dining ExperienceSearchn4GreatDiningDined on 6/15/2014It started when we arrived, the hostess wanted to seat us right in front of the door. When we asked for a different table, she seemed bothered by our request, yet the restaurant was full of open tables, not patrons. But after we were seated, our server-was as slow as deputy dog and he remained inattentive the entire evening...my husband's steak (King Filet) was just about raw in the middle, even though he said the first couple of bites were good. It took almost 20 minutes to get drink refills. And we drank our beverages quickly because the bread was so dry WITH butter. And the straw the broke the camel's back was that we spent the evening fanning away gnats. Definitely an EXPENSIVE lesson!
- Great environment and foodChabsDined on 6/13/2014Great environment and food but u pay for it... A tad priceySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice RestaurantDre1234Dined on 6/13/2014Really enjoyed my meal and found the service to be excellent. Struggled with the noise level from the musician in the bar. Really had the music turned up to loud on lousy speakers. The noise was more than annoying. Despite that, the food, service and value was all better than expected. I'd do it again without hesitation...Special Features:
- Nice RestaurantBigdogDined on 6/11/2014our server was great, steak was good, veal & shrimp dish was memorable, wine list was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sets a high standardOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/10/2014Service is top notch, food is fresh tasting and served at the right temperature. Wine and liquor list is notable. Beautiful restaurant inside with nice ambiance. Chops sets the standard for where to find a perfect steak in Virginia Beach. This is our special occasion restaurant go-to now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ribeye Steak!!!NolaRicciDined on 6/8/2014The ribeye steak was amazing! The backed mac and cheese with bacon was pretty amazing too, but it was very very rich one side is more than enough to share.Special Features:
- Wonderful time!mitchellDined on 6/2/2014My husband and I went to chops while on vacation at VA Beach. We had a great time, the food was great (a bit too salty for my taste, but perfectly cooked). Wonderful wine. Wine list was a bit expensive if you wanted to get a good bottle (there were no mid range options). The service was wonderful! The listing for the restaurant says "business casual" dress, I would disagree with that (and based on the discussion with the hostess it is not their expectation) - while certainly not a shorts and tshirt, just of the beach restaurant- Jeans were certainly welcome (and there were a few shorts). I almost didn't book the restaurant because of the dress code, don't let that hold you back!! Wonderful time.Special Features:
- Local1Dined on 5/23/2014Good food and nice atmosphere. Steaks were good but very pricey. Bringing our own wine and paying the $25Corkage fee helped keep the bill within reason. Salads and desserts were very good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chops is choiceVeggieluvDined on 5/21/2014This place had one of the best steaks I've ever had. Succulent and delicious: it was perfectly prepared. The vegetable sides were fantastic, and absolutely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 145 reviews are from the Chops reviews archive.
- Superb place 5 stars not enoughLuvgoodfoodDined on 5/17/2014This place is the best. I booked 15 minutes prior through Open Table on a Saturday night!! I was down the street at a popular hotel that had 2 restaurants plus outside seating. I couldn't get a seat at the bar and both restaurants said 1hour45 min. Wait. Plus they acted like we were bothering them because it was too crowded. Got to Chops and they were busy but we were greated with smiles and seated immediately while asking if the seating was what we wanted!! Food and service was even better. So glad we ended up there and we will be back! Worth every penny and prices were good!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.