336 Laskin Rd
Virginia Beach, VA 23451Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chopsvb.com/
- Phone: (757) 222-9508
- Hours of Operation:
Open for Lunch Monday through Saturday at 11 AM and Brunch on Sunday at 9 AM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Mackenzie Hess
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Chops
Chops offers incredible seafood, mouth watering steaks and delicious wine and cocktails in an upscale, energetic and comfortable atmosphere. Featuring Lunch daily and Sunday brunch as well as a happy hour food menu in the bar. Catering to locals and visitors alike, Chop's will be your new favorite restaurant in Virginia Beach.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Chops reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (21)great for outdoor dining (16)romantic (15)neighborhood gem (12)fit for foodies (11)good for groups (8)hot spot (7)notable wine list (6)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- More than SteakspassdaplateDined on 10/11/2014When you hear chops you might think steak but this locally owned restaurant delivers a great seasonal and locally sourced menu. We got a great order of calamari, followed by Duck and Sirloin steaks. All of it was fantastic. Great quality without the same one note choices from a more traditional steakhouse! The Atmosphere was great on the dining side, but if you go to visit there is also outdoor seating and a bar area that look like a lot of fun.Special Features:
- Great local restaurantRunnerGirlDined on 10/10/2014Very good wine and beer selection. We had the steak tartar. It was phenomenal. Simply dressed with a poached egg and arugula. I ordered the wet aged New York strip. My husband had the dry aged. I personally think mine was better, but honestly you couldn't make a complaint about either. The crawfish risotto was creamy and flavorful and the steak fries were crispy, but not too greasy. Of course we had to try a dessert. The coconut bread pudding was perfect. Not too sweet and paired perfectly with the vanilla gelato. We will definitely be coming back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great aged beefLisaDined on 10/5/2014The atmosphere was romantic and quiet. The white wine cellar was in the main dining space and the wines were kept at proper temp. We had the bone-in aged ribeye 22oz, it was cooked perfectly and tasted amazing. We also got the spinach salad, they split it in two for us since we were sharing. The split portions were more than a full portion at most places. We had a bottle of red wine, it was just ok but also on the bottom end price wise of their extensive wine list. The waiter didn't know much about the wines and they didn't have anyone who did in the off-season when we were there. Everything is ala carte which drove up the cost pretty quickly. With tax and tip for two people sharing we spent $150.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsBeachflowerDined on 10/4/2014Our server, Daniel, was very friendly and very made excellent recommendations. The food was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice happy hour. Good food.HHGirlDined on 9/27/2014The happy hour had nice appetizers and decent priced wine. The entrees were 1/2 off til 6pm. Nice location. Valet parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere/Good FoodVeryScenicDined on 9/17/2014If you are looking for a great atmosphere, you have found your place here. The food is good, not the best I've had for the price but its good!Special Features:
- Great SteaksReggieraysDined on 9/16/2014Solid steakhouse, great food, great wine list, knowledgeable servers, great homemade deserts....been there a few times and will certainly go again.Special Features:
- CHOPS IS GOOD ALL YEARHRDinerDined on 9/13/2014Chops is a nice resturant on Laskin Road in walking distance from the oceanfront at 31st Street (we drove to it this past Saturday since we live in Chesapeake). Parking was relatively easy and the staff was very friendly and accomodating from the time we walked through the door until we departed. The only minor knock would be at the time we were at the resturant there weren't many people dining and our food seemed to take a really long time to get out of the kitchen. We may have hit it at a shift change or something, but both the appetizer and entree took a while, but on the positive side both were delicious and worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2014We enjoyed this very much. It's a beautiful restaurant with good service and good foodSpecial Features:
- Great crab cakes!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014When reading reviews I found restaurant to be pricey, so when I saw various coupons for Chops I bought one. Great idea. We went on a Sunday evening. The waiter was named Mike, great energy, funny, informative and attentive. Loved having him take care of us. The food was perfect. Crab cakes were the same as everyone described...huge, flavorful and full of crabmeat. My husband had the salmon and loved it as well. Just go to Chops....you won't regret it just get some help with the bill by getting yourself a Groupon, lol!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took a chance and was very pleased!OldywedsDined on 9/6/2014At the beach for our anniversary and randomly chose a restaurant in the hotel guide. Great food, service, atmosphere, and price. Sand flies in the front room were the only annoyance. We will have to visit the back room next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was okayDeniseDined on 9/4/2014Food was just okay. I guess I was expecting great considering the prices. The steak was cooked to perfection but not a lot of flavor. Asparagus was terrible and tasted bland. The dessert, which was not on the menu, was the best.Special Features:
- over-pricedNilesJDined on 9/3/2014For the prices on the menu I was disappointed. The steak had excellent flavor but was very stringy and tough. I guess their A/C was broken because it was very warm inside, making it uncomfortable for me. We could have easily gotten a better meal at a more moderately priced steak house.Special Features:
- Always greatSteakLoverDined on 9/2/2014I had a 10oz filet cooked medium. It was just a hair over done for me, but that was my fault. I should have ordered medium rare. Either way, it was great, as usual.Special Features:
- Best meal in years!VanceRTDined on 8/28/2014Scallops and lobster dinners were way above expectations. Everything about the experience was perfect. My wife and I highly recommend Chops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014I thoroughly enjoyed Chops. Great location, terrific food. Friendly staff.Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurantFood4lifeDined on 8/27/2014I highly recommend Chops for a romantic dinner or to celebrate a special occasion. The food was delicious and the ambiance and service was impeccable. Awesome!!Special Features:
- Summer Lovin'Gemini0660Dined on 8/23/2014Being a casual Saturday, we decided to 'dress down' and eat on the patio...what fun! We had David, as our server, who is a hoot, we had drinks & apps, then, after we ordered our entrees, he pointed out my entree was half-price during Happy Hour (only at the bar or on the patio!) Yea, me! Who knew? It wasn't advertised, and I don't really know if this is an 'everyday' thing, or just slack season, but I was beyond stoked! We had a great time relaxing & people watching. If you're a local, I highly recommend the 'early bird' (happy hour runs until 7pm!) dining on the patio, or in the bar if weather prohibits! Mangia!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yorktown FoodiesYorktownFoodiesDined on 8/20/2014My wife and I were in Virginia Beach with some friends for a weeks vacation. We found this restaurant in our hotel package of dining options. A great discovery. We often go to Zoe's & Salacia's, we will now have to include Chops as a destination for a great meal and a great bottle of wine. I believe the ambiance will be better once the beach season winds down, but it was still a great find. The steaks were great and the wine list was great. Service was good. Glad we found it!!Special Features:
- Bad first impressionMsBLDined on 8/17/2014Initial service was terrible. We were at our table almost 10 minutes and no one came to greet us, much less take our order. When we complained about being ignored, service improved. Food was okay, but experience was ruined because we had to get upset and complain before we were serviced. At the time there was more waitstaff than diners in the restaurant, so no excuse for the poor service. There are too many good places to eat in Virginia Beach to deal with this kind of establishment. We probably will not return.
- Fist VisitLMSAPGVIPDined on 8/8/2014Was surprised when Chops popped up on Open Table with availability on Saturday nite in Virginia Beach "In season" but decided to give it a try. Our first disappointment came with the the 2 martinis which were only about 3/4 full and about 10 minutes late. Our mussel appetizer was below average. It took forever to get bread. The NY strip was OK--the other meal -2 lobster tails was a ripoff--they were not equal in size and even the larger one was small. There was no bacon in the "bacon mac n cheese". Wait service was slow. After we passed on dessert and I updated the waiter on all the above, he told us dessert was on the house. Even they took forever to get there!!!
- always wonderfulAlewDined on 8/6/2014this is my 3rd time for dinner and it is always cooked perfectly and tastes so good. The first time I had the shrimp pasta and it was very good but you can't beat the steaks. Yes it is very expensive but for me if you are going out for steak why not get the best.Special Features:
- Good Dining Experienceadamstm1635Dined on 8/2/2014Has a wide variety of food options. Definitely would be a good place to go if you are looking for seafood options. We had a reservation and were seated immediately which was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chops of VB is an excellent choicediningaddictDined on 7/26/2014We enjoyed the wet aged beef along with an excellent bottle of wine. Our server was excellent and friendly. A great place to enjoy an evening with your lady.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014The food was good, but overpriced. It wasn't what I was expecting at all. I wouldn't recommend.Special Features:
- disappointedGbpaintingDined on 7/26/2014When you pay $46 for a steak, you expect something exceptional..... the steak that I had was mediocre at best. I ordered it cooked medium, and it looked like it should, but it was tough. The food was no better than what you would get at Applebees, or any other chain restaurant for $12 - $13. I don't mind paying good money for good food. This place was very disappointing.
- Proved wrong....Yay!Eat73Dined on 7/21/2014We had actually avoided this restaurant when they initially opened due to extensive amount of negative reviews on other sites. Curiosity killed the cat and we could not be happier! Great food cooked to order, fair prices for food quality and great service. Our waiter was awesome!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 163 reviews are from the Chops reviews archive.
- Always EnjoyableBeachflowerDined on 7/18/2014The noise level in the bar was vibrant without being distracting. The food was fabulous and Christopher, our server, was friendly and professional. A great experience as always!Special Features:
- Chops LOVES Black PepperdinerDined on 7/11/2014Good service, good ambiance, but literally EVERYTHING had black pepper in it. The fish, the risotto, the steak, the mac and cheese, the crab, the onions rings... everything. SO much black pepper.
- Good restaurantkcsreviewsDined on 7/9/2014Overall great service! Nice place! The only problem was that my medium rare steak was slightly overcooked.Special Features:
- ChopsTdavisVIPDined on 7/5/2014Service was great! Food was good and this is a great location near the oceanfront to have a stroll on the beach after dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!GenderDined on 6/28/2014Our server was awesome. He knew the menu and was very helpful. The atmosphere was great and the food was fantastic. It was great to spend my husband and my children's birthdays there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, wrong foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014I ordered a NY Strip and was given a Top Sirloin. Food was good otherwise, just wasn't too happy to get the wrong food.
- Great steak! Not a great valueNotAFoodieDined on 6/20/2014So when you pay close to $200 for a meal you may have expectations such as a table being ready on time or the bar tender being capable of mixing a Mojito or perhaps locals not hitting on your girlfriend at the bar while waiting on the table you reserved. If you have any of these expectations than do not consider dinning at Chops. On the other hand the waiter was friendly and the steak and lobster were amazing. The sides left much to be be desired.
- Excellent food and ambiencePaulaDined on 6/15/2014Been to this restaurant 3 times now. Always great food. Went on Father's Day. Waiters hustle. My only complaint Is that no one knows what to do with an Open Table guest so that we are "checked in" to get our points. They were apologetic and said they would leave a note for the owner. This is not the first participating restaurant that had no idea what Open Table was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Dining ExperienceSearchn4GreatDiningDined on 6/15/2014It started when we arrived, the hostess wanted to seat us right in front of the door. When we asked for a different table, she seemed bothered by our request, yet the restaurant was full of open tables, not patrons. But after we were seated, our server-was as slow as deputy dog and he remained inattentive the entire evening...my husband's steak (King Filet) was just about raw in the middle, even though he said the first couple of bites were good. It took almost 20 minutes to get drink refills. And we drank our beverages quickly because the bread was so dry WITH butter. And the straw the broke the camel's back was that we spent the evening fanning away gnats. Definitely an EXPENSIVE lesson!
- Great environment and foodChabsDined on 6/13/2014Great environment and food but u pay for it... A tad priceySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice RestaurantDre1234Dined on 6/13/2014Really enjoyed my meal and found the service to be excellent. Struggled with the noise level from the musician in the bar. Really had the music turned up to loud on lousy speakers. The noise was more than annoying. Despite that, the food, service and value was all better than expected. I'd do it again without hesitation...Special Features:
- Nice RestaurantBigdogDined on 6/11/2014our server was great, steak was good, veal & shrimp dish was memorable, wine list was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sets a high standardOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/10/2014Service is top notch, food is fresh tasting and served at the right temperature. Wine and liquor list is notable. Beautiful restaurant inside with nice ambiance. Chops sets the standard for where to find a perfect steak in Virginia Beach. This is our special occasion restaurant go-to now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.