2033 West North Avenue
Chicago, IL 60647Neighborhood:
Bucktown / Wicker Park
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chopshopchi.com/
- Phone: 7735374440x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am-5:00pm
Dinner:1st flr Sunday-Wed: 5:00pm-10pm Thursday-Sat 5pm-11pm
Dinner: 2nd flr Tuesday-Wed:5:00pm-10pm Thursday-Sat 5pm-11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joshua Marrelli
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Chop Shop
An authentic salumeria and gourmet butcher shop offering an assortment of quality meats & cheeses from around the world & local farms. Beverage program features craft beers, cocktails and a globally influenced wine list. The restaurant/bar draws from the Chop Shop’s seasonal items to create an evolving menu. Deli menu available from 11am-5pm. Restaurant menu is available from 5pm-midnight with a late night menu available until 1:30am.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chop Shop reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (25)neighborhood gem (21)good for groups (20)fit for foodies (17)hot spot (11)great for lunch (7)late-night find (5)romantic (3)vibrant bar scene (3)special occasion (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Waitress was rushing usErnieDog1Dined on 9/12/2014Our reservation with my sister and brother in law was for 5:30pm on a Friday evening. Once seated, the waitress explained specials and took drink orders. We asked her to divide our table into 2 checks. She said sure. Upon delivery of the drinks, she asked about appetizers. We explained that we hadn't seen each other in quite some time and would like to have a couple of drinks and catch up before ordering apps. Apparently, short memory. When ordering the second drink, she asked again and then became annoyed when we said we'd let her know when we were ready to order. When we called her over and ordered appetizers, she asked what we wanted for meal. Wow, hasn't figured our we're not in a hurry? Nutshell: food and atmosphere great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great charcuterie, atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/16/2014Really enjoy dining on the roof here. The food and ambience are great! Nice wine selection, beers, cheeses, meats. Love the pork chop! Will come again.Special Features:
- Fantastic Venue!TRitaDined on 8/14/2014I had no idea The Chop Shop had so many different dining/entertainment options in one spot! This was my first time at the restaurant and was truly amazed when we toured the inside. There's a great outside area, an open area for parties, intimate area for dinner, a bar and a deli! We had a great time celebrating a birthday and enjoyed all the food - especially the fries! I highly recommend for a variety of occasions.Special Features:
- Great outdoor rooftopOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014Great outdoor roof top and nice food. The hanger steak was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Record signing and performance1stTimeDined on 8/2/2014Easy parking, friendly staff.Called to say I'd be late;so understanding and accommodating. Layout,ambience well suited. First event of this size,flowed smoothly. Courteously informed people they'd reached capacity.Bathrooms super clean- very telling. I reserved a table to dine while I awaiting performance. Staff ensured my table viewed event. Food-mediocre. Roast beef sandwich and burger- generally fail-safe. Meats and cheeses unimpressive, little variety. Perhaps dinner menu is better?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service but the foodTCTCDined on 7/25/2014This is a beautiful bar. We were seated in the upstairs bar area where it was really noisy. We asked if we could move downstairs and they graciously allowed us to move there where it was less crowded and much quieter. We ordered the charcuterie platter (meat only) which was fine but considering this is a butcher shop too, wasn't amazing. For the main courses we had the burger, halibut, and chicken. The burger was decent but the fries were cold. The halibut was terrible. It was way overcooked and tough, which is strange for fish. It may have been seared ahead before service. It was not good. And the whole plate didn't make sense and lacked coherence-it was served with tomato jam and a strange succotash. The chicken wasn't anything special.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/18/2014Highly recommend! Interesting place and the food is first class. Nice beer list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing cocktailswood4meDined on 7/8/2014Went with two girlfriends for small plates/ cocktails. I ordered the polish mule, Windy City stormy, and a girls kissing girls- while one of the cocktails was a bit too floral-y for me, the waitress was so cool, and offered me a different cocktail to replace it. Having been in the bar industry for the last 7 years, I know how annoying it is when someone sends back a cocktail, but our waitress was tops and didn't blink at the request. We had the butchers plate, which was great, but also ordered mussels. Overall good experience :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst restaurant experience 3 timesDinningoutDined on 7/5/2014July 5th, a night that we could have gone anywhere we decided to go to the Chop Shop. We had been there 2x before w/what we thought were growing pain issues but we like to support neighborhood so we went Saturday night. After ordering 2 $39 ribeyes this time BOTH came overdone. BOTH. The one ordered black & blue came mediumish, the other ordered medium came well done. The server asks how you want your steak done & both were wrong. We sent them back & they did send out steaks but really at that point I wasn't hungry & I mentally crossed it off the list. The manager came up to put table and told us he understood that we were not happy with our meal and then told us the meal would be comped & we should never come back. No problem
- solid low maintenance spotpbotDined on 6/27/2014Sat outside on the upstairs patio. Drinks are good. I had the hangar steak was great. Tender and good portion. Mussels were ok. Didn't have the butchers plate (meat and cheeses) but it looked delicious. Next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great casual spot and perfect patioCykaVIPDined on 6/24/2014I live in the neighborhood and have dined here many times, in the bar, in the restaurant, on the patio, in the deli, gotten takeout and delivery, and bought from the butcher and retail. We went here for my boyfriend's birthday. He specifically requested it and thinks the burger is the best in the city. What a great casual spot and easy to walk into, even without a reservation.Special Features:
- Great Food, Service Ehh...cheezynonkVIPDined on 6/20/2014the food was great and it was a treat from teh chops, to the burger, to the steaks. The problem is that the service is lackluster at best. It was almost easier to get up to the bar for a drink. Also our first table downstairs was VERY loud, but upstairs it was pleasant. I would go back, but only if I could serve myselfSpecial Features:
- love the place, food is parkoreDined on 6/14/2014The ambience is pretty awesome! Our server was very friendly to start with, but our food order was not delivered properly. I ordered sides that came out over 15 minutes before my meal and when the food finally arrived, it was cold, as if it was just sitting there. Their kitchen messed up the timing process on some level, but the waitress didn't even apologize for the inconvenience. She didn't take off the sides that were delivered way too early and just gave us the bill at the end and almost knew we were dissatisfied, but did not attempt to remedy it. Hopefully this was just a bad day, I'll give it another chance. The burger was very good! Staff in general were very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding BurgerNothardtopleaseDined on 6/14/2014If you only eat one burger/year like I do, this is the place to get it. Worth every calorie. The old fashioned drink was also very well-made. The mussels were boring and the atmosphere nothing to comment about. We won't be returning with another couple for an intimate dining experience, but I would imagine it would be festive for a large group or a casual outside dining experience. My husband was not impressed with the beer list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SocialDinerVIPDined on 6/13/2014We all loved the food. However, as many people have stated, the service is pretty atrocious. After waiting a half hour for our cocktails (and being told by our waitress that they were on their way), we were informed that our drinks had never been ordered. We did receive a free round of cocktails from the manager to remedy the situation, which we greatly appreciated, but our waitress never even apologized. Half of our group had been waitresses previously so we understand that the dinner rush can get hectic. However, we found our waitress to be pretty clueless and not friendly at all. I would order carry out from Chop Shop, but I don't think I would eat there again.Special Features:
- YummyAndrewDined on 6/12/2014The gnocchi was yummy and the service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedChopper610Dined on 6/7/2014I ignored the negative reviews. Perhaps the restaurant/wait staff was having a bad day. Service was poor and the noise level was that of a bar scene and the restaurant should do something to improve that. To their credit they did discount our drinks because of the delay but we didn't stick around after the appetizer and found somewhere else to eat dinner
- Chop ShopsnuggieDined on 6/7/2014The place is enormous and can give you any type of environment that you want. energetic, if you want to sit outside, and quiet with tables not on top of each other, if you want to be able to talk. An interesting place. The kale salad was excellent. However, the other food was not cooked to our perfection and was a little pricey, in my humble opinion.Special Features:
- Just okKhillVIPDined on 6/3/2014We wanted to check this place out because we live in the neighborhood and saw a good write up in a Chicago Mag, but it left us feeling flat.. Chicago has too many places with great food and great service for me to bother going back to the Chop Shop. The food was not bad, it just was not great. 2 of us has the hanger Stake that were ordered med rare that came out well - we would have told our server, but it was like 20 min until we saw her again. The patio was great and we had fun with our friends, I just don't think I have a reason to go back.
- Food was just okOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/31/2014We had poor service. The food was just ok, everything was pretty salty. The mussels has a fishy taste and so did the calamari dish.
- kagomeDined on 5/30/2014Another great experience and great food and service. :) We will be back again for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food outstanding, Ambience okOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/28/2014The cuisine was outstanding. The meat and cheese selection to open our dinner was tasty, and both the ribeye and the kale salad we had were magnificent. The ambience was a bit so-so, though. While there were plenty of seats on the ground floor, we were seated upstairs where it was loud and just generally not as good an atmosphere as downstairs. Addtionally, our server was mediocre; when we asked where the Pinot Noirs were on the wine menu, she pointed to the "White Wine" section.
- Mediocre food, blasting musicOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 5/28/2014Limited menu provided few options, none particularly interesting. The music was so loud we literally couldn't hear ourselves talk. A million better places in Wicker Park than this!
- I liked it. However...FirsttimerDined on 5/24/2014My steak was tough as shoe leather. Don't order it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 39 reviews are from the Chop Shop reviews archive.
- Brunch-No-BrunchFrancesVIPDined on 5/18/2014Went for what we thought would be amazing brunch. But no brunch items. Good meat though. Enjoyed the meat/chz plate & sandwich. They didn't have the Masquerade beer, but Alpha King is always a good alternative. I"ll definitely go back for the beautiful rooftop.Special Features:
- service is just too fastkirstjenVIPDined on 5/17/2014We had a 7:30pm reservation & we were seated immediately. Three courses later, we were out of the restaurant at 8:05pm. I don't think I've ever eaten so fast in my life. I started with the Morelli's Manhattan, which they claim is the best Manhattan in Chicago. It was very good. Then I moved on to the rillettes & my husband ate the kale salad. The rillettes were standard for Chicago, served only with mustard & lots of toast. The burger was delicious. The whitefish sandwich was cold. The pound cake dessert was a standout. This place was rated by Chicago Magazine as one of the best new restaurants. I'm not sure why. Probably 50 restaurants in town have the same concept & this one is in the middle of the pack, in my opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pushy servicegastrocheckwillyDined on 5/17/2014This place is very loud, just talking about the first level. The service was so pushy and was bathering about the order. That was it"!
- CharmingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/15/2014We sat upstairs in a charming window bay. We tried the kale salad (perfectly runny yolk!), market salad, oysters, and prime rib. All very nice! I also liked that the server dropped in appropriately between courses and let us enjoy our conversation. Really cute! I'd come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun & deliciousalwaysoutDined on 5/9/2014Our server was amazing. Very accommodating and the food was great. A little loud. Avoid chocolate cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chop shopaflood10Dined on 5/3/2014Great food and atmosphere. Small menu, but wonderful choices. If you are hard of hearing, it may be too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm a hungry bear, feed mePickanicBasketsDined on 5/2/2014The food here was good, but when I go to dinner and the bill for two ends up being around 100$ (with cocktails and two entrees) I would like to be full. Portion size inadequate for all those hungry bears out there.Special Features:
- 45 minute late + cold foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2014They were 45 minutes late giving us our table. We had a reservation a week out and arrived on time. Diner for 6 was ordered at the same time but 5 of the 6 plates came out together (none were very warm) the 6th did not come out for another 5-10 minutes. There was no explanation or warning that it was going to be late. Thus we were waiting on that person's food before we started and teh food got even colder.
- Overpriced for average foodJasonDined on 4/19/2014I thought the scene was pretty good and lively. However, the food was just average or below average. For the same price point, there are much better options. For this price point, I would expect better quality of food.Special Features:
- Birthday Dinnertb1117Dined on 4/5/2014We enjoyed a family birthhday celebration over cocktails, appetizers & a great dinner. The oyster/prawn appetizer & sauces were excellent. The entrees were varied & all delicious-duck steak & salmon were served as requested. Excellent choclate cake for dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just oklovediningoutDined on 4/2/2014Unfortunately we felt everything was average. The rilletes were good as was the chicken liver mousse but nothing I would go back for. The hanger steak and burger were good and my friend who ordered the ribeye really liked it; all three were pretty good items but a bit pricey. The frustrating part was that their beer selection on the menu did not match at all what they had in stock. Every time we ordered a beer they didn't have it and had to read a separate list. Print new menus! The service was just ok as well. We asked to see the upstairs event space and the manager never came to show us. The server eventually let us up but couldn't answer any questions. I guess I'm glad I tried it but wouldn't go back.
- Very cool spot in Wicker Park,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/29/2014Very cool spot in Wicker Park, delicious food, deadly good drinks, and very helpful waitstaff / bartenders. Can't recommend this place enough. Went for our anniversary and loved it, also great for groups and not so intimate parties as well.Special Features:
- Gambled and wonkagomeDined on 3/28/2014I was just looking for a new place to take my boyfriend out to. Seriously looked at a few other places and decided on this. Our server was great, our food was great, and their oysters were AMAZING! (midnight Bay, west coast.) Great atmosphere, really dig it. :) I will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks for nothingSqunnDined on 3/26/2014I made reservations with open table days agraf of time. When i got there they informed me that the dining room had a private party. They then informed me that all the seating in the bar area was taken. So they moved me to the bar table in the back corner that had spot lights shining in our faces. I would complain more but just trust me, it didn't get better from here. If you are in the area go next do to tramchmen.
- The cocktails and startersOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/21/2014The cocktails and starters were fantastic, entrees not so much. My entree came out cold and rubbery.Not the greatest experience. I guess you win some you loose some.Special Features:
- great food but club was distractingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/14/2014The food was outstanding and I would definitely go back for that reason. We sat in the butcher shop area which was really cool to see the different cuts and to see the chefs at work. We had a late dinner and so the clubbers started piling in the butcher and bar area which made it loud and crowded and a less comfortable dining experience. On the plus side it was a great people watching spot. In the future, we might request to sit in a different room if there is oneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.