1555 Blake Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cholon.com/
- Phone: 3033535223x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am-2:00pm
Dinner: Monday 5:00pm-9:00pm,Tuesday- Thursday: 5:00pm-10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 2:00pm-11:00pm,
Happy Hour 2pm-6pm, 9pm-Close in the Bar or Lounge
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian
- Executive Chef: Lon Symensma
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from ChoLon Bistro
ChoLon Market, the largest Chinese-influenced market in Saigon, helped serve as inspiration for Chef Lon Symensma’s Cholon Bistro. The LoDo restaurant showcases his passion for Asian ingredients and French cooking techniques in a striking, eco-friendly space. ChoLon serves lunch and dinner, as well as a small bites menu that is available throughout the day, in a welcoming environment for all ages. The menu features inspired interpretations of traditional Asian dishes. "Many of my dishes are twists on classical Asian cuisine," says Symensma. "I enjoy sharing my own personal perspective on the flavors of Asia." The menu offers several categories designed to allow guests to sample and share many different tastes and flavors during their meal. The bar and lounge serves handcrafted, artisanal cocktails developed to enhance Symensma's creations. The venue is also ideal for business meetings and presentations, featuring a large projection screen in the lounge area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
ChoLon Bistro - Best Restaurants in Downtown / LoDo ›
ChoLon Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
235 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (187)special occasion (115)hot spot (97)good for groups (66)romantic (48)neighborhood gem (43)great for lunch (36)vibrant bar scene (26)great for outdoor dining (24)notable wine list (20)late-night find (15)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- A triumph of alchemyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014Absolutely fabulous meal. Not our first time here but always great and we will be back again and again. The Mad scientists in Cholon's kitchen continue to come up with stunning combinations like the bacon fried rice carbonara that are nothing short of sublime. As always it's a bit noisy for intimate conversation but that will not keep us away. BTW the soup dumplings and egg cloud are a must try.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/20/2014As always, great experience. Food was outstanding and service was spot on.Special Features:
- The best in DenverOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/20/2014Wow! This is a fantastic restaurant! The food is absolutely amazing. This was our first visit and everything sounded so good we over-ordered a bit but were very very happy! We would order every single thing we had again, but the stars of te show are the soup dumplings and the Kaya toast. You will dream about this food! Can't wait it go backSpecial Features:
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014My daughter and I went here for my birthday dinner. We ordered a variety of the small plates, and they were all amazing. There were some pretty clever dishes, but the kaya toast deserves a mention as the must order small plate.Special Features:
- Unusual delicious menu!nlshaneDined on 9/19/2014Perfect items to share means great variety. Love this place!Special Features:
- Great night outLlirevsDined on 9/15/2014Wonderful, as always. Service is consistent and although I typically am a bit more expedient in my dining, our server was great about letting us move at a more relaxed pace. As for the food, I typically order about 6 dishes when here (to share, don't get crazy). Inevitably there's always one or two dishes that are jest "meh" because everything else is so delicious. Tonight it was the fritters that were just a bit forgettable. I know it's a new menu item, but they just lacked the flavor and polish that so many other items possess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lackingTuitelesDined on 9/14/2014Not a good visit. Service and food was disappointing. would not recomend this place to anyone
- unfortunate changesjudykVIPDined on 9/14/2014I've been here many times and this time the food was not nearly as good as previously. Sauces were thick and masked the flavors of the food. Perhaps there's been a change in the chef. I would not return. The main dish was pricey and had fish and barely any vegetables or accompaniments.
- True gourmet food if a bit spicyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/14/2014We appreciated the creativity that went into our meal. We especially enjoyed the lobster and mushroom crepes on bib lettuce. The tile fish was prepared perfectly, but my wife and I reacted a bit to the seasoning that accompanied it. If one is accustomed to pretty plain food, this trip into gustatory wonderland with special herbs, sauces, and spices can stir up your insides. I think we should ask the waiter if some of the more zesty seasoning could be withheld...since all appears to be made from scratch. I think we'd go next time just for a glass of wine and the lobster crepes...minimize the spice reaction-or stick to only two bigger plates. Ample amount of food for two. This is clearly a fine restaurant serving gourmet food.Special Features:
- DeliciousKateDined on 9/13/2014Had a great time and every single thing we ordered was delicious.Special Features:
- Our new favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014The most flavorful food I've ever tasted! I took my fiance to ChoLon for her birthday last year and we loved the place! But for some reason it took us a year to return for her birthday again this year. We again had the same amazing experience as the first time and we are in love with every item we have ordered. Try the soup dumplings!Special Features:
- PriceyChipSDined on 9/12/2014The food was ok, but not outstanding like one would expect for these prices.
- Still the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/11/2014We have been to Cholon many times and never disappointed. Still my favorite restaurant in a town full of great restaurants. Lon does great with flavors and the selection is always intriguing and well done. Would recommend to anyone.Special Features:
- Amazing foodSusanaDined on 9/5/2014I have to say, this is one of the best restaurants I have ever been ... ever!, the food is amazing, love the combination of ingredients giving a unique taste to every plate. They have small plates so is great since you can order a few and taste more. Also, their non-alcoholic beverages are excellent, I had the ginger soda and I felt I was having a cocktail!. What I did not like was that when we left the restaurant the food smell was all over us, even our under-ware.... it needs a better ventilation system in the kitchen, you can actually see the kitchen from the main restaurant area and you could sit in front of it as well, which is pretty cool but, I would recommend to invest on a better hood/ventilation/air extraction system.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Wine & FoodMissD4FitnessDined on 9/5/2014This was my first visit to Cholon ... And I have to say it's absolutely fabulous! The service was impeccable, wine list outstanding and saying the Soup Dumplings and food was delicious, is an understatement! One of my new favorite places in Denver!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasant surprisesusanatthecastleVIPDined on 9/4/2014I love the small plate & share plate selections& how they change. I always get the soup dumplings. They are just plain fun to eat. We had the Kai toast with coconut jam & egg custard. What a delight of texture & tastes..crunchy, soft, sweet, savory, creamy. The bacon fried rice carbonara was another treat & a nice twist on the traditional carbonara. Dessert was a passion fruit tart with roasted pineapple ice cream. Another treat for the senses & perfectly sized. I need to go back more often.Special Features:
- Superb!!!LovefoodVIPDined on 9/3/2014This is the best restaurant we have gone to in the past year. Pork belly buns are perfection. Diver scallops and spicy prawns were fantastic. Service was outstanding. Seriously I cannot use enough adjectives for this restaurant! Oh and definitely get the donuts for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerllrDENVIPDined on 8/31/2014Always good. Didn't realize when I made the reservation we would have to order the Restaurant Week menu. We are restaurant industry so would have preferred the regular menu. Got a good Pinot Noir and had a great time!Special Features:
- Arrogant and rude receptionGoodeatsDined on 8/30/2014When we arrived, we were told we had one hour and fifteen minutes to eat since our table was reserved at that time for another party. We sat anyway and the waitress said the same thing. Very unwelcoming and rude. We were a party of 6, we decided to leave do to the cold reception and go to Rioja which was, as usual, fabulous. We spent $575 on dinner, Cholon's loss. We will never return since apparently they feel ore about fitting as many guests in any given evening rather than make the dining experience a pleasurable oneSpecial Features:
- Food here blows my mind every timeLoveandWanderlustDined on 8/29/2014You can't go wrong with anything on the menu but a few highlights that are must try's are the Kaya Toast, simple but totally addictive you must must try it. The french onion soup dumplings are an explosion of flavor when you bight into them. Probably the best version of the soup I have ever tried but with better packaging. The Salmon Crudo's flavor profile has everything you would want in one bite. Get the Vietnamese Doughnuts with coffee ice cream, sweet, cinnamon with a touch of saltiness, yes please.Special Features:
- fabulousoJaellDined on 8/29/2014Celebrating our anniversary at this restaurant was such a wonderful choice. Having never dined here I didn't know what to expect. The restaurant was packed as it was 5280 restaurant week and we had to wait a bit for a table, but it was soo well worth the wait. The bartenders, hostesses and wait staff were all attentive and personable. The meal itself flowed from bite to heavenly bite. Flavors and textures were perfectly balanced, unique & intriguing. The soup dumplings explode in your mouth and the gruyere cheese leaves such a wonderful taste on the palate. Definitely a restaurant that we will be dining at again. Thanks ChoLon for such a wonderful anniversary dining experience.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week ReviewJRiberaDined on 8/28/2014All 3 courses were divine! Simply one of the best meals I've ever had from top to bottom. Everything was thoughtfully crafted, well presented, and served one after another. Service was fantastic! Great job, ChoLon!Special Features:
- Like savory gushers...OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/26/2014What an amazing meal, even with the limited Restaurant Week menu. The soup dumplings are not to be missed. Don't offer to share - you won't want to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best denver foodBrooksDined on 8/26/2014The food at ChoLon is unbeatable among other denver Asian food. Each bite is delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WAY TOO NOISYMsHongKongThaiDined on 8/26/2014I LOVE ALL REAL ASIAN AND INTERESTING FOOD BUT THESE COMBOS WERE NEITHER. THE PLACE IS UNBEARABLY LOUD, HAVE TO SHOUT AT PEOPLE TO HEAR WHAT THEY ARE SAYING. I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED.
- disapointedKrisMDined on 8/26/2014The servers seemed put out to be working, and could not explain the menu. Food was over-cooked, undercooked. So loud that you could not hear any conversation without yelling. Not worth the time or money, I am glad I went during restaurant week and not another occasion.
- AwesomeDined on 8/24/2014Our 5280 Restaurant Week experience was superb. Three of us shared family style--------it was one of the best Restaurant Week experiences we have ever had. Great food. Superb service by Jake! Three of us shared the food family style and all of us raved about the experience. Awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food during restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2014when restaurants try and keep costs low during restaurant week it shows, that was not at all the case at Cholon. The food was fantastic and the portions were decent, I recommend the soup dumplings myself but really everything was unique and delicious. Everyone sitting at my table was happySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lizzieDined on 8/23/2014Every bite a taste sensation! Incredibly tasty. A little on the noisy side but worth it!Special Features:
- Amazing as alwaysScottVIPDined on 8/23/2014We were here during Restaurant Week and ChoLon did a great menu - much better than most. Consistent, creative and excellent food over and over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChoLon Bistro-a bit loudSassyGeminiDined on 8/23/2014Third time to ChoLon and brought two friends that had not been there before. The food was very good except for the Pork Loin which is what my friends ordered...delivered cold, tough and chewy. Second try heated through, but still tough and chewy...however my salmon was cooked to perfection! All the appetizers included were wonderful, especially the brussels sprouts! The comped a round of drinks and brought an extra appetizer to the table...they didn't have to do this, but were really trying to make it a good experience for us all. The chef came out to apologize for the pork, that was a really nice move on his part. We loved the food. The dining room is very loud though, I could hardly hear what my friend across the table was saying.Special Features:
- Dining perfection can be achieved!LoDoDinerDined on 8/23/2014My SO and I tried ChoLon Saturday night for restaurant week. We had been ChoLon a few times for happy hour, but never for dinner. We had heard so much positive feedback about dining there and were really excited to try. What I most want to say is that we should have tried ChoLon a long time ago and just stopped going to other places. The entire experience from the second we walked into the door was A++. The hostesses, our server, and the food runners were all extremely professional and made the experience special. We had the kaya toast, the french onion dumplings, and the pot stickers, and then the salmon with bacon fried rice for an entree. Every single bite tasted like the best food I had ever had - not to be too hyperbolic about it!Special Features:
- It was "alright"PartTimeFoodieDined on 8/23/2014I came for restaurant week. The first thing is the noise level. It is over the top. I was disappointed that our server provided no explanation of the menu. I told him "you are not being helpful". Only then did he recommend a wine and go through the menu. He was just going through the motions until I asked. The food was flavorful but I didn't find it particularly unique or memorable. soup dumplings were as advertised "French onion soup in a dumpling". potstickers were - potstickers. I thought the ginger sauce overpowered them. I thought the pork loin was too tough but my date disagreed. The Brussels sprouts were yummy. The donuts for dessert were again "doughnuts". While all the food was good and flavorful, I didn't find inspiring.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014our pork was very overcooked. the salmon spoons were very good, other than that the food was not very memorable.
- Always GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014Second time and it was fantastic. Be sure to order the Hanoi Night Train from the bar!Special Features:
- Simple food perfectly doneReviewerVIPDined on 8/22/2014Ate there for lunch. The salmon crudo for a starter was excellent served in 4 single bite spoons. Nothing out of balance. The hot Korean fried chicken sandwich was right up there with the fried chicken sandwich at Son of a Gun in Los Angeles for best chicken sandwich I've ever had. Even the kids' menu grilled cheese was outstanding - sharp cheddar on a perfectly toasted buttery brioche. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding mealDisappointedDined on 8/21/2014Outstanding meal, but a little too loud. We were concerned about another diner that had fainted and needed medical attention.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/19/2014Apps were fabulous, family style to try all mains, great desertsSpecial Features:
- Good Lunch Meeting LocationQueenjaminDined on 8/19/2014I had a business meeting at ChoLon at Noon on Tuesday, and the restaurant had diners, but it wasn't packed, so the noise level from conversation was conducive to conversation. However, the restaurant had music playing at a somewhat louder level. The menu was great, with a diverse selection of items, and I could've ordered several items off the menu. I ordered the carbonara, which was orzo based, and it was delicious, and the fish tacos also looked delicious. The servers were somewhat slow when our group arrived, but once we had our food, they were attentive without interrupting our conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- XxxxDined on 8/17/2014Getting expensive for the quality/taste of the food