1555 Blake Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cholon.com/
- Phone: (303) 353-5223
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am-2:00pm
Dinner: Monday 5:00pm-9:00pm,Tuesday- Thursday: 5:00pm-10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 2:00pm-11:00pm,
Happy Hour 2pm-6pm, 9pm-Close in the Bar or Lounge
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian
- Executive Chef: Lon Symensma
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from ChoLon Bistro
ChoLon Market, the largest Chinese-influenced market in Saigon, helped serve as inspiration for Chef Lon Symensma’s Cholon Bistro. The LoDo restaurant showcases his passion for Asian ingredients and French cooking techniques in a striking, eco-friendly space. ChoLon serves lunch and dinner, as well as a small bites menu that is available throughout the day, in a welcoming environment for all ages. The menu features inspired interpretations of traditional Asian dishes. "Many of my dishes are twists on classical Asian cuisine," says Symensma. "I enjoy sharing my own personal perspective on the flavors of Asia." The menu offers several categories designed to allow guests to sample and share many different tastes and flavors during their meal. The bar and lounge serves handcrafted, artisanal cocktails developed to enhance Symensma's creations. The venue is also ideal for business meetings and presentations, featuring a large projection screen in the lounge area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
ChoLon Bistro - Best Restaurants in Downtown / LoDo ›
ChoLon Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
278 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (219)special occasion (124)hot spot (118)good for groups (81)romantic (54)neighborhood gem (52)notable wine list (31)vibrant bar scene (27)great for lunch (27)great for outdoor dining (26)late-night find (13)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (5)Show More
- Great Food But a ProblemSuz21Dined on 11/23/2014The food that was available was great. Unfortunately, they were out of their signature Soup Dumplings, as well as the Diver Scallops, both of which we had wanted. We'll have to try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fabulous take on Asian-inspired cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/21/2014Cholon has great food and friendly, fast service. It's family style, which is a great way to try several dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChoLonJeffPDined on 11/21/2014We ordered 1 plate from each menu section. At first I was concerned we didn't order enough. After the third plate I was concerned we'd ordered too much. :) food comes out as it is ready. If you are trying to make it a celebratory meal I would recommend asking they slow it down between courses. We were in and out in an hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstnasing food and ServicedenverVIPDined on 11/20/2014We love Cholon and have been there many times. The other nice we took an out of town friend and it was super noisy--really hard to talk. So if you want a romantic time I would actually go at lunch when it is much quieter. Food remains outstanding with unique choices and flavors. This place is really something special. We loved the chicken Curry and the Brussels sprouts. The lamb was good but rather small for sharing. the desserts were new and really out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique in DenvercoljackDined on 11/20/2014We have only been to one restaurant like this is the world: Wild Ginger in Seattle; and Cholon is better. I lived in many parts of Asia for eleven years. I would describe Cholon as "trans Asian" as the chef draws from many Asian cuisines. I would also describe Cholon as Asian-fusion as the sauces are more subtle than you would expect--almost French-like. But when you come down to it, Cholon is Cholon. There is nothing else like it. Order as many small plates as you like. Try as many wonderful flavors as you have room for. You cannot go wrong on the short menu--everything hass an exquisite taste, and everything is a little different from anything you have had in your favorite Chinese, Thai, or Vietnamese restaurant. Obviously Cholon is a little pricier than those favorites, but it is absolutely worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious!chanseangDined on 11/20/2014Taste of Asia with a delightful and unique twist! Do not, I repeat DO NOT leave without trying the soup dumplings!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatcharlesmDined on 11/17/2014It is hard not to order every item on the menu. Each item is always so much more complex then the menu description & always delicious. Standbys like the brussels sprouts were different from the last time we ordered. The changes are always great yet the underlying creativity, high quality, and innovation never cease to amaze. Cholon is one of the very best restaurants anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vibe. Solid service.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/14/2014Great vibe. Solid service. Soup dumplings were awesome! All of the dishes we had were very good. Loved the flavor combinations. Only compliant is that you order several dishes for the table at once and the food comes out "as it's ready". Two of our mains arrived within minutes of each other so our orzo dish sat there and got cold while we enjoyed the chicken. Orzo doesn't stay warm long so that was disappointing. Aside from that, all was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good start, poor finishyummy1100VIPDined on 11/13/2014The starters and drinks were great and we were excited for the main course. But despite the perfection of flavor that we found in the soup dumplings (a must!), the ribeye skewers, and the pork belly steam buns, ALL of the entrees (stir-fry, brussel sprouts, etc.) were extremely heavy, oily, and over-salted. Nobody could finish their dinner. Great place for drinks and appetizers but the dinner felt like it came from a completely different kitchen...?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Very GoodBemoVIPDined on 11/10/2014Never am disappointed when I make reservations for ChoLon and always look forward to the next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- over-hyped, overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/9/2014I've been to Cholon four times and each time I'm excited by the menu and disappointed in the final product. I think they do some things very well, like dumplings and certain small plates, but generally the food is never terribly impressive. For the price and hype of this place, I want to be wowed and I never am. And this last time I went our server was rather surly. So much so that we spent a lot of the night talking about his attitude. For instance, we were hoping to break our ordering up into small plates and entrees, in case we wanted to try additional small plates after we finished the initial ones we ordered, but he was adamant that we order everything at once. I'm happy to spend money on a quality meal but Cholon falls short.Special Features:
- Good Food & High EnergyBill5845Dined on 11/8/2014Innovative recipes served by an excellent staff. Gets noisy in the evening. If you want to have a conversation go early before the crowd arrives and the noise level turns conversations into shouting. Saying that, I went Saturday evening. Might be a little less "energetic" if not a weekend evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real treat!Mald1990Dined on 11/8/2014Everyone in our party of four couldn't stop talking about the delicious meal we shared. The dishes are served family style, allowing each person to sample several different dishes--all fantastic! The timing was perfect and we were able to enjoy a fabulous dinner and still make the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience! Great Menu!FoodieSpecialEDined on 11/7/2014It was my first visit. My son took me there for dinner as he knows I LOVE exotic food. We have travelled the world and I am a foodie! He said, "Mom you are going to like this place"! He gave me other choices. When I looked at the ChoLon menu, I said, to myself.. Hmm! This looks interesting! I was very happy with the choice of items we chose. Presentation was excellent. Portions could be a little more. Cocktails were Interesting....Smoked Tamarind.. Aahm! Service was excellent, our waitress was very pleasant. They made me feel "SPECIAL" on my special day. A lovely experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- out there food not for everyoneGuyFerrarriDined on 11/7/2014On the pricey side but you know that coming in. Staff was awesome. The dumplings are as amazing as everyone says. Good might not be everyone's cup of tea. Wish it had been less loud so I could have more easiI would recommend this to a friend.
- cant wait to returnOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 11/6/2014Excellent asian cuisine. The soup dumplings are outstanding - like a pop of french onion soup in your mouth. also the do-it-yourself pork buns with pork belly. I would like to go back as often as it takes to try everything on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every dish amazescloverDined on 11/5/2014Fresh, fun, innovative, delicious asian food. We had the soup dumplings and mushroom spring rolls for starters. The sauces served with all the dishes are incredible, so much more complex than most Chinese food it is impossible to compare. The pork belly buns were perfection, and the fennel-kale salad was a stand-out. Diver scallops and cod for mains, both wonderful. A bit confusing at first to figure out how many plates to order, etc, but a good server will guide you through. Nice choice of draft beers along with an extensive list of bottled craft beers from all over the West. Loved the gorgeous round table for our group of 7, it felt cozy and made conversation easy. We'll be backSpecial Features:
- Outstanding foodIrishgirlDined on 10/31/2014Visited Cholon with family. The service was efficient and very pleasant, our waitress was knowledgeable about the food and not pushy. We tried 3 small plates, a salad and 4 share plates. Each dish was presented beautifully and looked incredibly appetizing. Personal favorites were the potstickers and the short rib, but frankly there was not a dud amongst them. We will be back and look forward to showing off our new find to our friends.Special Features:
- Great find!JackieDined on 10/31/2014I've been meaning to try this restaurant out and I'm glad that we finally did. Menu is small but everything we ordered from small bites to the large plate has been delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Denver SpotBigSexyDined on 10/30/2014Came in for my wife's birthday not quite knowing what to expect. The service was great and the food was delicious. Highly recommend the french onion dumplings and the carbonara fried rice. Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovetoeatDined on 10/30/2014If you want Vietnamese foods then go to a Vietnamese restaurant. At choline, the food was so bad , the smell in the restaurant is bad for me. I had to dry clean my sweater when I got home. I try it because of the 5280 rating but I don't know why they rate so high. Overall I was so disappointed. 5280 should go try more restaurants . I also order chai ice tea and it was awful. Overall thus us my worse dining experience.
- Small Plates, Huge FlavorsFoodieinAnotherLifeDined on 10/29/2014Outstanding Singapore Shrimp, smoky chile flavor, wonderful sauce. I had Pork Belly Buns for dessert. Yes, they were that good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/28/2014I usually enjoy this restaurant but it was too noisy to talk and I really wanted to enjoy a conversation with dinner. Service was quick to pick up, but our waiter was hard to find.Special Features:
- Unbelievably Delicious!momeatsoutDined on 10/27/2014Best meal I have ever had. Every bite was a taste sensation. The staff was attentive and informative without being stuffy. Everything on the menu is fabulous, but the Soup Dumplings are indescribable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/25/2014Cholon exceeded all of my expectations and I highly recommend going. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CarriebCarriespann39Dined on 10/24/2014Every dish we had for our group was absolutely outstanding! The lighting was a little bright at certain tables but they accommodated our desire to move tables with graceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChoLon was great!SandyDined on 10/24/2014Our party of 6 enjoyed our evening at ChoLon. We were confused with how to order, but our server helped us along. Food was delicious. It was LOUD; this was the only negative.Special Features:
- Amazing!Sutt1107Dined on 10/24/2014Cholon is awesome! We had such an amazing meal and loved every bit.Special Features:
- wonderful in service and tastemtdmdDined on 10/23/2014Very few places have I gone to where attention to the little things were treated as a big deal. Since we dont drink, we were given the choice of sparkling water or regular water as well as non alcoholic beverages. The sparkling water is highly recommended so that you have something to cleanse the pallet between each course. What was wonderful was that my glass never emptied. The kaya toast is a must for an appetizer and dessert, and the short rib was perfect. We had several other dishes but those two really stood out. Noise was a little high but expected. You don't go here for an intimate setting. Go there to enjoy the sight, sounds, and mostly the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great. Total experience, mehSandyGVIPDined on 10/23/2014Creative, high quality food, well presented. Service rushed on this uncrowded football evening. Wait staff was friendly but an extra appetizer appeared that we had asked about but not ordered. Have dined here before and raved about it. This time, not so much.Special Features:
- Double Thumbs Up...Every TimeCOSunshineDined on 10/22/2014I first went to ChoLon for my birthday in Sept 2014 and it quickly moved into one of my favorite places to eat position. Excellent service from vallet to table with the food as the star attraction. On this latest visit, I took 6 people who had never been and 3 of them were from out of town. I like to order food from the small bites for these settings as it allows everyone to try several different foods without committing to a single entree. Rule of thumb..first words out of your mouth should be "soup dumplings please"..I believe we went thru 6 orders of these. We ordered 1 of every other small bite and ended up ordering another round of each as well. ChoLon has earned their place as one of the top restaurants in Denver for a reason.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5280 Should be number 1!!!JbartDined on 10/22/2014Exceptional fine dining experience in Denver! My new 1st.Special Features:
- Excellent upscale Asian restaurantJackVIPDined on 10/18/2014Very good food, atmosphere and service. A bit pricey but worth the splurge for a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was great but...sjg758Dined on 10/18/2014Was so excited to try this restaurant as I have heard so many great things about their menu from many people. The food was really good, nothing that really stood out to me or has me talking the next day about dinner last night. The portion sizes for the cost of each "shared" plate was over-rated. This is Denver, not New York. So when I paid $35 for the Scallops and I got 4 scallops on a plate of a "slaw" needless to say I was disappointed. The service, while we were well taken care of, our server we could tell wanted to be anywhere but at work that evening. It wasn't till the end of the meal when we were asked about dessert, did I say we have a cake here, because we are celebrating a birthday. Not in a rush to return......Special Features:
- CholonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Amazing food small size dining but spacious. Quick, clean, fresh, multiple flavors. a findSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zombie WatchingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014Excellent food an service, but very pricey. I probably will not be back based on the expensive menu.Special Features:
- not impressedjtajaxDined on 10/17/2014not at all worth the hype nothing subtle and elegant about the flavors. Sad to say but it seemed no different than a PF Chang "trying" to be fancy.
- Amazing appetizersFoodDined on 10/17/2014Cholon had amazing appetizers, especially the pork belly. I keep coming back for these every time. The noise level is very high so it's hard to have a conversation with anyone at your table, but the view of 16th street mall from the window is pretty nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my new favorite placeyummyVIPDined on 10/17/2014Everything was amazing. I felt like I was on the food network. This is for sure my new favorite place for a nice meal out and special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- did not disappoint!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/17/2014This was my 3rd time dining at Cholon. I had recommended to 2 of my foodie friends that we dine there prior to going to a show. The shared plate theme is always great for foodies. We especially loved the soup dumplings, corn fritters and Malaysian noodles. We had excellent service. I will definitely be dining at Cholon again!Special Features: