1555 Blake Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cholon.com/
- Phone: 3033535223x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am-2:00pm
Dinner: Monday 5:00pm-9:00pm,Tuesday- Thursday: 5:00pm-10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 2:00pm-11:00pm,
Happy Hour 2pm-6pm, 9pm-Close in the Bar or Lounge
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian
- Executive Chef: Lon Symensma
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from ChoLon Bistro
ChoLon Market, the largest Chinese-influenced market in Saigon, helped serve as inspiration for Chef Lon Symensma’s Cholon Bistro. The LoDo restaurant showcases his passion for Asian ingredients and French cooking techniques in a striking, eco-friendly space. ChoLon serves lunch and dinner, as well as a small bites menu that is available throughout the day, in a welcoming environment for all ages. The menu features inspired interpretations of traditional Asian dishes. "Many of my dishes are twists on classical Asian cuisine," says Symensma. "I enjoy sharing my own personal perspective on the flavors of Asia." The menu offers several categories designed to allow guests to sample and share many different tastes and flavors during their meal. The bar and lounge serves handcrafted, artisanal cocktails developed to enhance Symensma's creations. The venue is also ideal for business meetings and presentations, featuring a large projection screen in the lounge area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
ChoLon Bistro - Best Restaurants in Downtown / LoDo ›
ChoLon Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
232 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (177)special occasion (112)hot spot (87)good for groups (64)romantic (49)great for lunch (44)neighborhood gem (37)vibrant bar scene (28)great for outdoor dining (23)notable wine list (18)late-night find (13)great for brunch (6)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Like savory gushers...OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/26/2014What an amazing meal, even with the limited Restaurant Week menu. The soup dumplings are not to be missed. Don't offer to share - you won't want to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best denver foodBrooksDined on 8/26/2014The food at ChoLon is unbeatable among other denver Asian food. Each bite is delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/26/2014The servers seemed put out to be working, and could not explain the menu. Food was over-cooked, undercooked. So loud that you could not hear any conversation without yelling. Not worth the time or money, I am glad I went during restaurant week and not another occasion.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/24/2014Our 5280 Restaurant Week experience was superb. Three of us shared family style--------it was one of the best Restaurant Week experiences we have ever had. Great food. Superb service by Jake! Three of us shared the food family style and all of us raved about the experience. Awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food during restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2014when restaurants try and keep costs low during restaurant week it shows, that was not at all the case at Cholon. The food was fantastic and the portions were decent, I recommend the soup dumplings myself but really everything was unique and delicious. Everyone sitting at my table was happySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lizzieDined on 8/23/2014Every bite a taste sensation! Incredibly tasty. A little on the noisy side but worth it!Special Features:
- Amazing as alwaysScottVIPDined on 8/23/2014We were here during Restaurant Week and ChoLon did a great menu - much better than most. Consistent, creative and excellent food over and over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChoLon Bistro-a bit loudSassyGeminiDined on 8/23/2014Third time to ChoLon and brought two friends that had not been there before. The food was very good except for the Pork Loin which is what my friends ordered...delivered cold, tough and chewy. Second try heated through, but still tough and chewy...however my salmon was cooked to perfection! All the appetizers included were wonderful, especially the brussels sprouts! The comped a round of drinks and brought an extra appetizer to the table...they didn't have to do this, but were really trying to make it a good experience for us all. The chef came out to apologize for the pork, that was a really nice move on his part. We loved the food. The dining room is very loud though, I could hardly hear what my friend across the table was saying.Special Features:
- Dining perfection can be achieved!LoDoDinerDined on 8/23/2014My SO and I tried ChoLon Saturday night for restaurant week. We had been ChoLon a few times for happy hour, but never for dinner. We had heard so much positive feedback about dining there and were really excited to try. What I most want to say is that we should have tried ChoLon a long time ago and just stopped going to other places. The entire experience from the second we walked into the door was A++. The hostesses, our server, and the food runners were all extremely professional and made the experience special. We had the kaya toast, the french onion dumplings, and the pot stickers, and then the salmon with bacon fried rice for an entree. Every single bite tasted like the best food I had ever had - not to be too hyperbolic about it!Special Features:
- It was "alright"PartTimeFoodieDined on 8/23/2014I came for restaurant week. The first thing is the noise level. It is over the top. I was disappointed that our server provided no explanation of the menu. I told him "you are not being helpful". Only then did he recommend a wine and go through the menu. He was just going through the motions until I asked. The food was flavorful but I didn't find it particularly unique or memorable. soup dumplings were as advertised "French onion soup in a dumpling". potstickers were - potstickers. I thought the ginger sauce overpowered them. I thought the pork loin was too tough but my date disagreed. The Brussels sprouts were yummy. The donuts for dessert were again "doughnuts". While all the food was good and flavorful, I didn't find inspiring.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014our pork was very overcooked. the salmon spoons were very good, other than that the food was not very memorable.
- Always GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014Second time and it was fantastic. Be sure to order the Hanoi Night Train from the bar!Special Features:
- Simple food perfectly doneReviewerVIPDined on 8/22/2014Ate there for lunch. The salmon crudo for a starter was excellent served in 4 single bite spoons. Nothing out of balance. The hot Korean fried chicken sandwich was right up there with the fried chicken sandwich at Son of a Gun in Los Angeles for best chicken sandwich I've ever had. Even the kids' menu grilled cheese was outstanding - sharp cheddar on a perfectly toasted buttery brioche. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding mealDisappointedDined on 8/21/2014Outstanding meal, but a little too loud. We were concerned about another diner that had fainted and needed medical attention.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/19/2014Apps were fabulous, family style to try all mains, great desertsSpecial Features:
- Good Lunch Meeting LocationQueenjaminDined on 8/19/2014I had a business meeting at ChoLon at Noon on Tuesday, and the restaurant had diners, but it wasn't packed, so the noise level from conversation was conducive to conversation. However, the restaurant had music playing at a somewhat louder level. The menu was great, with a diverse selection of items, and I could've ordered several items off the menu. I ordered the carbonara, which was orzo based, and it was delicious, and the fish tacos also looked delicious. The servers were somewhat slow when our group arrived, but once we had our food, they were attentive without interrupting our conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- XxxxDined on 8/17/2014Getting expensive for the quality/taste of the food
- DisappointingArynDined on 8/16/2014We went to this restaurant on vacation in Denver since it was so highly rated. We had the pork belly buns (which they accidentally brought twice and tried to charge for twice), potstickers (found a large piece of plastic in one), Malaysian noodles and the Brussel Sprouts. Everything was good except the noodles, which were very disappointing. This place is overrated and the staff does not have their act together. Should be better for being so highly rated. One of the dishes we ordered never came. We were expecting a lot more
- tasty but expensivefoodiebynightDined on 8/15/2014Went to celebrate a friend. The food was delicious, but you are definitely paying for it. Very attentive staff, our waitress was so patient with our large group and took amazing care of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.docdxerDined on 8/15/2014Great food and presentation. The menu has individuale portions and larger portions to share. The servers were vey attentive. The chef/owner came to our table after dinner to see how everythong was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss the soup dumplings!Mthede1VIPDined on 8/15/2014Another wonderful experience at ChoLon- only thing I would change is that I would order another plate of the soup dumplings. Service was attentive and the hot chicken sandwich met all expectations…can't wait to return for dinner!Special Features:
- INCREDIBLE!BarbieEDined on 8/12/2014This dining experience was amazing. Every dish was unique and every bite was exquisite. I highly recommend the salmon crudo and the brussel sprouts. Skip the Kaya Toast as an appetizer and have it instead for dessert, it might be the best thing you have ever tasted - unreal! Also, the service was spectacular; I love everything about this place.Special Features:
- Great experienceLoveDenverrestaurantsDined on 8/12/2014Food was great and service was good too. My third time here and would go back again. Food is perfect for sharing so you can try many things. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Awesome dinner date with wifeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014First restaurant we've been to in a long time that exceeded our expectations. The food was great, service was good, wine was good and dessert was delectable.Special Features:
- Amazing Mix of FlavorsGreatVIPDined on 8/8/2014The food was a greet mix of Asian and Anerican. The appetizers were very different and amazing. The pork roll was outstanding. The waiter was was very helpful....take their advice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic lunchMattVIPDined on 8/8/2014This was my first time here for lunch and, though the menu was a little different it did not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over-hypedDonnaRDined on 8/6/2014Nothing we had was worth the cost, except the pork belly. Service was lacking. Took a really long time between courses. Bartender was indifferent. Drinks were small, unremarkable and expensive. Inside was LOUD. Outside doesn't get the complimentary rice cake thingy that inside patrons get. Wouldn't recommend.
- What Did You Say?BarracudaDined on 8/6/2014Appetizers and desserts are out of this world. Entre's are adequate to keep you occupied in between. Great location, trendy decor. But bring headsets attached to an intercom if you wAnt to socialize while dining. The noise level in the dining room was intolerable so we waited for a table outside and were very glad we did. $250 with the tip for two people.Special Features:
- Lunch at CholonawesomeDined on 8/6/20144 of us shared for lunch. . The crudo to start, what flavors and texture, wow. . The crudo, served in ceramic spoons was so good we had it again after our other choices. Porkbelly buns, then brussels sprouts with pork (another blockbuster). Carbonara pasta. After another crudo we tried french fries with a great dipping sauce. His sauces are VERY good. Can't wait to try Lon's new noodle place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy go luckyJohnDined on 8/5/2014Good times at ChoLon! The appetizers were the spotlight once again. I felt the entrees were a bit one-liner and erring toward "mushy" on the texture side. I'll be back but we'll both be trying different entrees.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reward Your Palate!Deborah303VIPDined on 8/5/2014The name of the restaurant, ChoLon (translated big market) gives a clue to chef Symensma's passion for fresh local offerings. Fuse local fresh ingredients with an Asian flair and you have their menu. On this visit, Palisade peaches were featured in a great starter salad combined with candied pecans and miso vinaigrette. For the main course I could not stray from two of my favorites, the pork belly buns with sesame-honey glaze and the stir fried Brussels sprouts with ground pork and mint. I would love to comment on their dessert offerings but I never made it that far. A note for anyone dining at ChoLon for the first time, plan on starting with a cocktail so you will have something to sip on while you pour over the menu. Everything is great!Special Features:
- Too rushedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/3/2014Our family of 4 went to what we heard is top-rated by 5280. The ambiance is stylish and the staff attentive but a little too attentive. Some of the courses come out earlier and there were 1-2 staff just waiting to take the dish off the table. We shared 2-3 appetizers and 2 entrees between the 4 of us in 45 minutes! That is too rushed and too short to enjoy the meal. I asked the hostess if this was normal and she said yes. It wasn't like the restaurant was crowded. That said, the food was fairly tasty...but I have to tell you I can make all of the dishes served and not spend $180! A bit overrated I'd say.Special Features:
- Always delicious.JtravelerVIPDined on 8/3/2014Love sharing the many wonderful dishes.....all prepard to perfection. The pork buns were exceptionally popular, but all was very much enjoyed.Special Features:
- YummylovefoodVIPDined on 8/2/2014First, and foremost, our waiter was respectful and great about getting us to theatre on time. I have found this to be troublesome with other restaurants, so bravo to ChoLon. The food is creative, a bit too spicy for some of us, and while meant to share this is challenging when have a party of more than 4. Love the soup dumplings - fun, unique, and never fail to make the diners smile. When sharing with more than 4 the meal becomes a bit pricey.Special Features:
- can't go wrong at ChoLon BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/1/2014What a fun and delicious place to go with friends, from the appetizers to the entrees you could throw darts and not be disappointed. Follow the suggestions of the waiters, they will lead you to a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still impressedWashParkFoodie303VIPDined on 8/1/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in Denver. The small plates are amazing. The soup dumplings are a must have when coming to Cholon. I recently tried their salmon crudo and it is quickly becoming my favorite dish. Staff is always attentive to your needs.Special Features:
- Yummy, creative food, crazy crowdedLuv2EatDined on 7/31/2014There are lots of good reasons to visit ChoLon - the soup dumplings, the subtle and excellent cocktails, the coffee/doughnut dessert....the food is really terrific, original and delicious. If you love scene-y restaurants with high-end, well-thought out dishes, and don't mind noise and slow service, don't hesitate to go. We went to dinner on a Thursday night (had a reservation), were seated nearly half an hour late. They couldn't move our bar tab to our table (really? even low-end Mexican places can do this.) Our server was lovely and well-informed about the menu, but we could barely hear her over the noise. I got the feeling our server was on her game but the kitchen was slow. Chef was charming and comped our dessert, which did help.Special Features:
- Slow lunch servicermt1921Dined on 7/31/2014If you're looking for a good weekday lunch that isn't a chain, this place is a good option. Just don't come expecting to get in and out during the normal lunch hour. The service is incredibly slow, not appropriately paced for lunch at all. We had one start course and our entree sandwiches -- took and hour and half. The food was, however, very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceckmd25VIPDined on 7/29/2014The pork bao is delish The salmon is so so The scallops are delish, could have been hotter though (temperature wise) The waiter was nice too.
- Best Asian in Denver and BeyonddlmsDined on 7/28/2014We visited ChoLon on a Monday evening, slightly intimidated by its international awards. No worry: they are fully deserved. We had six dishes, each beautifully composed and delicious. My favourite dish was the scallops; my wife, the superb pork belly bun. The balance and diversity of spices are marvelous: complex, subtle flavours with just the right level of heat when required. Very original wine list. The sound level was too intense for us. If you wish to give this top level Asian fusion cuisine the concentration it deserves, ask for a quiet table, even outside seating. Price to quality ratio is very modest. True stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.