1555 Blake Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cholon.com/
- Phone: 3033535223x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am-2:00pm
Dinner: Monday 5:00pm-9:00pm,Tuesday- Thursday: 5:00pm-10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 2:00pm-11:00pm,
Happy Hour 2pm-6pm, 9pm-Close in the Bar or Lounge
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian
- Executive Chef: Lon Symensma
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from ChoLon Bistro
ChoLon Market, the largest Chinese-influenced market in Saigon, helped serve as inspiration for Chef Lon Symensma’s Cholon Bistro. The LoDo restaurant showcases his passion for Asian ingredients and French cooking techniques in a striking, eco-friendly space. ChoLon serves lunch and dinner, as well as a small bites menu that is available throughout the day, in a welcoming environment for all ages. The menu features inspired interpretations of traditional Asian dishes. "Many of my dishes are twists on classical Asian cuisine," says Symensma. "I enjoy sharing my own personal perspective on the flavors of Asia." The menu offers several categories designed to allow guests to sample and share many different tastes and flavors during their meal. The bar and lounge serves handcrafted, artisanal cocktails developed to enhance Symensma's creations. The venue is also ideal for business meetings and presentations, featuring a large projection screen in the lounge area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
ChoLon Bistro - Best Restaurants in Downtown / LoDo ›
ChoLon Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
256 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (201)special occasion (122)hot spot (110)good for groups (68)romantic (54)neighborhood gem (50)great for lunch (33)vibrant bar scene (28)great for outdoor dining (26)notable wine list (25)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (6)scenic view (5)Show More
- Zombie WatchingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014Excellent food an service, but very pricey. I probably will not be back based on the expensive menu.Special Features:
- not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/17/2014not at all worth the hype nothing subtle and elegant about the flavors. Sad to say but it seemed no different than a PF Chang "trying" to be fancy.
- Amazing appetizersFoodDined on 10/17/2014Cholon had amazing appetizers, especially the pork belly. I keep coming back for these every time. The noise level is very high so it's hard to have a conversation with anyone at your table, but the view of 16th street mall from the window is pretty nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my new favorite placeyummyVIPDined on 10/17/2014Everything was amazing. I felt like I was on the food network. This is for sure my new favorite place for a nice meal out and special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!!!FoodieDined on 10/13/2014This was one of the best meals I've had in recent years. You can't go wrong with ChoLon!!!Special Features:
- Delicious appetizerslforsythe80Dined on 10/11/2014Try the soup dumplings they are amazing! We absolutely loved all of the appetizers. Timing on food delivery was a little off but I would recommend.Special Features:
- Great food and drinkEaterOfWorldsDined on 10/10/2014I went for a special occasion with my wife and was incredibly pleased with the quality and flavors of the food. The soup dumplings have established themselves as her favorite food ever. The one hiccup in the service was the timing of the main dish with the accompanying side. If you have time to sit, enjoy some drinks, and savor the food, this is an excellent choice.Special Features:
- truly inventive cuisineGuidoVIPDined on 10/10/2014This is an exciting place to dine, because the flavorful dishes taste and look unique. Even if you dine out often, Cho Lon will pleasantly surprise you. Service was attentive, correctly paced, and pleasant. Depending on where you sit it could have been too loud for some tastes, but our table, close to a window and not up against other tables, was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ahackerDined on 10/10/2014Great beef sticks and potstickers! Fun atmosphere for a group or for anyone really but fun to share different dishes.Special Features:
- Very tasty, slightly on salty sideroadrunnerDined on 10/10/2014The good is quite tasty, but I think it can do with less salt (and I like salt). However, I am not sure that they want to stress that the food is based on Southeast Asian street food. I get the concept but the prices would have been more than 100% markup.Special Features:
- Good - Special?GrampyJoeDined on 10/9/2014The atmosphere was good, the room dark and formal. The service was prompt. The flatbread was fan shaped, foamy, with black sesame seeds, but looked and tasted like plastic. The soup was bland but the stir fry fresh and snappy. The desserts sounded good but we were full. A good meal but nothing seemed special. The room was noisy, even though not crowded. Conversation was difficult.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely high end good stuff.GoldenHikerDined on 10/8/2014We have read about Cholon being in the top 25 restaurants in Denver for a couple of years. Those are high rankings, and we finally went. We arrived 10 minutes early for our 5pm reservation, so they asked us to sit at the bar and wait, which we happily did. That might have been good enough, but we had dinner as well. Service was quite good throughout the evening, and the food was very good. Top 25 (or 10 or whatever) is a high mark, but we'd say Cholon fits the bill. Happily, they also took care of my reservation request to do something nice for my wife's birthday. My only complaint there is we also ordered desert before I knew they were going to do anything, so we had two deserts, which was one too many. Next time maybe ask first.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives Up To The Hype!JuscoloradoDined on 10/7/2014We have had this place on our radar for about a year. Finally tried it out this week and now am kicking myself for waiting so long. Was part of a five-person party. We ordered 7 plates to share and each was as every bit as delicious as the next. The flavors pop. The Brussels sprouts, Malaysian noodles, and crab and corn fritters were standouts. Don't overlook the curry chicken, though. The service was attentive but not overbearing. My only complaint was the noise level, which was loud. Still...I would go back tonight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good and enough foodChickDined on 10/6/2014You did not feel cheated by the quantity of the food. When we got seated the server made note that I notified them in advance about food allergies. They did there best based on what was on the menu to accommodate my food allergies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall ++OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/5/2014Another great dining experience at Cholon. Soup dumplings never disappoint. The potstickers and sauce were really flavorful. The kale salad, while tasty, left a bit to be desired with huge kale leaves that left for a very ruffage-heavy experience. The chili shrimp were great. Good service.Special Features:
- ChoLon is a Foodie GemFoodLoverDined on 10/5/2014Flavors abound and the menu selections are glorious. Your mouth and stomach will thank you for the experience.Special Features:
- Terrible service.KlmmDined on 10/2/2014Reservation was at 7. I was emailed and called by the resturant to confirm. We were't actually seated unt 7:45. We ordered four small plates to share. They must have lost our ticket, because we were still waiting for the first dish 50 minutes later. We had to ask the hostess to check on our ticket because we hadn't seen our waitress in ages. They did comp $20 towards our bill, but would have preferred someone taking accountability for the continued errors and simply apologize.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/2/2014In a world of presumption, this restaurant delivers exactly what it says, high end service followed by exquisitely designed and prepared food. Delicious isn't enough to describe it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING FOOD!!LiveToEatVIPDined on 10/1/2014You must try this restaurant! The food is so amazing here. It was so difficult for us to just choose a few plates to share because we wanted to try it all. The staff is very accommodating as well. We were going to be sat at a not-so-romantic table when I asked the hostess if we could be seated somewhere a little more comfortable since we were on our honeymoon. They were very nice about it and asked us if we wouldn't mind waiting a few minutes for a table to open. We were provided complimentary prosecco and dessert which just made our night! ChoLon knows their stuff as far as food and customer service. I will definitely dine here if I ever find myself in Denver again.Special Features:
- montageVIPDined on 10/1/2014the food and service was so fantastic. a GREAT spot!!Special Features:
- RoyRojomoVIPDined on 9/30/2014Way way too loud. Otherwise food was interesting and one could get a sense of how they were nominated for a James Beard award years back, but I felt the execution must have slipped over the years. Oh, did I mention it is loud???!!!!
- Love this place.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014I've been multiple times and it just gets better and better. Their food is unbelievable and incredibly innovative, and the service is top notch. I highly recommend Cho Lon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just wasn't their nightIeatfoodDined on 9/26/2014First time at Cholon. Very nice restaurant but was not impressed. Food came out wrong and took an hour and fifteen minutes to receive. I would like to give it another try as this restaurant came highly recommended, but I do not have high hopes.Special Features:
- Great bookendsolivettioDined on 9/26/2014Soup dumplings fun, crab fritters great. Entrée so-so. Dessert phenomenal.Special Features:
- Always Great!Ruby55Dined on 9/24/2014ChoLon never disappoints - the food is always fresh and different. Although sometimes I am disappointed they have switched up the menu (because I was dreaming about ordering the same thing) every one of their new items is always a hit - so no reason to worry! Could have the soup dumplings and kaya toast with the egg cloud every day! Great spot for a leisurely lunch - or any day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5th AnniversaryRitzDined on 9/23/2014I was expecting some acknowledgement concerning my 5th Anniversary and never got it.Special Features:
- Really ExcellentPattyDined on 9/23/2014Of course the soup dumplings are amazing but Cholon attends to every detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A triumph of alchemyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014Absolutely fabulous meal. Not our first time here but always great and we will be back again and again. The Mad scientists in Cholon's kitchen continue to come up with stunning combinations like the bacon fried rice carbonara that are nothing short of sublime. As always it's a bit noisy for intimate conversation but that will not keep us away. BTW the soup dumplings and egg cloud are a must try.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceDenverJRSDined on 9/20/2014As always, great experience. Food was outstanding and service was spot on.Special Features:
- The best in DenverOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/20/2014Wow! This is a fantastic restaurant! The food is absolutely amazing. This was our first visit and everything sounded so good we over-ordered a bit but were very very happy! We would order every single thing we had again, but the stars of te show are the soup dumplings and the Kaya toast. You will dream about this food! Can't wait it go backSpecial Features:
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014My daughter and I went here for my birthday dinner. We ordered a variety of the small plates, and they were all amazing. There were some pretty clever dishes, but the kaya toast deserves a mention as the must order small plate.Special Features:
- Unusual delicious menu!nlshaneDined on 9/19/2014Perfect items to share means great variety. Love this place!Special Features:
- Great night outLlirevsDined on 9/15/2014Wonderful, as always. Service is consistent and although I typically am a bit more expedient in my dining, our server was great about letting us move at a more relaxed pace. As for the food, I typically order about 6 dishes when here (to share, don't get crazy). Inevitably there's always one or two dishes that are jest "meh" because everything else is so delicious. Tonight it was the fritters that were just a bit forgettable. I know it's a new menu item, but they just lacked the flavor and polish that so many other items possess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lackingTuitelesDined on 9/14/2014Not a good visit. Service and food was disappointing. would not recomend this place to anyone
- unfortunate changesjudykVIPDined on 9/14/2014I've been here many times and this time the food was not nearly as good as previously. Sauces were thick and masked the flavors of the food. Perhaps there's been a change in the chef. I would not return. The main dish was pricey and had fish and barely any vegetables or accompaniments.
- True gourmet food if a bit spicyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/14/2014We appreciated the creativity that went into our meal. We especially enjoyed the lobster and mushroom crepes on bib lettuce. The tile fish was prepared perfectly, but my wife and I reacted a bit to the seasoning that accompanied it. If one is accustomed to pretty plain food, this trip into gustatory wonderland with special herbs, sauces, and spices can stir up your insides. I think we should ask the waiter if some of the more zesty seasoning could be withheld...since all appears to be made from scratch. I think we'd go next time just for a glass of wine and the lobster crepes...minimize the spice reaction-or stick to only two bigger plates. Ample amount of food for two. This is clearly a fine restaurant serving gourmet food.Special Features:
- DeliciousKateDined on 9/13/2014Had a great time and every single thing we ordered was delicious.Special Features:
- Our new favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014The most flavorful food I've ever tasted! I took my fiance to ChoLon for her birthday last year and we loved the place! But for some reason it took us a year to return for her birthday again this year. We again had the same amazing experience as the first time and we are in love with every item we have ordered. Try the soup dumplings!Special Features:
- PriceyChipSDined on 9/12/2014The food was ok, but not outstanding like one would expect for these prices.
- Still the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/11/2014We have been to Cholon many times and never disappointed. Still my favorite restaurant in a town full of great restaurants. Lon does great with flavors and the selection is always intriguing and well done. Would recommend to anyone.Special Features: