Chocolate the Restaurant
Santa Cruz, CA 95060Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Chocolate the Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chocolatesantacruz.com/
- Phone: 8314279900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily 11:00am-5:00pm
Dinner: Daily 5:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dessert, Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: David Jackman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Offsite catering for up to 150 guests. Weddings, or any other kind of occasion. Wedding cakes, or other special desserts. Chocolate mousse truffles. We can work with you to design a custom menu, based on your comfortable budget parameters.
- Private Party Contact: David Jackman 8314279900
A word from Chocolate the Restaurant
Chocolate the Restaurant on Pacific Avenue serves lunch and dinner continuously from 11am to 11pm daily. We offer garden patio dining, as well as full menu late night dining every night until 11pm. Nearly all our produce is locally grown and organic. Our meats are free-range. Pasta GMO free! Our extensive wine list offers wines from the Santa Cruz mountains and neighboring grape-growing regions. We also offer several sparkling Italian and French wines, as well as locally-brewed, organic bottled beers. We are well-known for our eleven kinds of hot chocolate, and our large variety of chocolate desserts. Guests come here not only for our award-winning dessert selection, but also for our wide variety of organic salads as well. Our most popular dishes are Chicken Mole", hand rolled Pasta Rosettes, and our pulled pork in dark chocolate barbeque sauce. Chocolate the Restaurant has been serving local customers and visitors year-round at this location since 1999.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chocolate the Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- Valentine's dinner winJoDuDined on 2/14/2014I booked this place at the last minute. My wife got a quiche and I got the polenta. The crusts on both were perfect. The waitstaff were a bit confused on table coverage at times, but our primary waiter was quite friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food! Reservations good ideaOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014We went for Valentine's Day and were not disappointed. This is not a big place and tables on the patio are small, but it was warm and the ambiance was nice. The food was delicious - the roasted garlic & cheese pot and chocolate sausage were exceptional. Amazing flavor combinations and generous portions. A pleasant surprise was also how quickly food was served after we ordered. The support staff was courteous and attentive bringing bread, water and our food. But we had to shout at our server to get her to even look at our table again after we ordered dinner, and then she was clearly impatient. You could say that her service was "memorable". We will probably return to Chocolate for the food but be sure we get a different server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- horrible servicedisappointedDined on 2/14/2014Service was horrible. Everything that you would want a waitress to do, we had to ask for: Bread for the table, asking for more water, asking to place order, was never checked on during the meal, asking for the bill, and having to ask other servers to get us the items that our designated server didn't bring after being asked. The food was good, but not worth being ignored by the servers.
- Disappointed :-(ReenersDined on 12/17/2013After viewing the beautiful commercial @ the local movie theater I was really looking forward to having dinner here with 2 friends on a Tuesday. I arrived first and was greeted by the staff and figured out where we wanted to sit and sat down. After my friends came we ordered and the food came. It was all ok. The manager had brought us bread hidden inside a basket with forks, knives and a glass dish piled on top. We didn't know what to do (?) Bread consisted of 2 1/2 slices for 3 people which was weird. No refills. After we ate the server never came to clear our plates. She brought the check and no clearing of plates. Service was non-existent after our food was brought. $2.50 for refill of iced tea?! Puleeze. Even SF is cheaper than that.Special Features:
- cafelivermoredinerDined on 12/15/2013Great food at a reasonable price. Not designed for groups over 6 people. Service was slow but friendly. If you have 2 to 4 people and you want great food in cafe atmosphere its worth the trip.Special Features:
- ChocolateEricDined on 12/7/2013Great food and drink! We had the Veggie Appetizer plate, full of olives, cheese, grilled onions and mushrooms: it was fantastic. All the dishes were (Chocolate Chipotle Chicken Sausage, Greek Salad, Mole Chicken, Tiramasu!) We've had thier hot chocolate before and it was amazing! None of the food we tried was bad, and we all enjoyed overbite. We would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatHarveyClanVIPDined on 12/6/2013I was a little disappointed by Chocolate after having heard about it from friends. I had higher expectations for the service and the ambiance. The food was very good, the service was okay. It's a notable hot spot among locals; perfect setting next to Book Shop Santa Cruz. It's a place I'll go to again, but without presumption of an exceptional experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy CoolSuzanDined on 12/5/2013This is one of my favorite places to eat in downtown Santa Cruz. The food is good. The desserts are to die for! Service is excellent, fast friendly and patient. Thursday was a cool day, so I'd advise wearing a few layers even if you will be dining indoors during fall/winter weather. Our group was in the side room which was new to me. It's a great private space and if reserved in it's entirety would be suitable for children as it is quite separate from the rest of the restaurant. I've never been disappointed by the food or the staff. Go! You'll love it, especially if you like chocolate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good hot chocolate & terrible food!LuvgoodfoodDined on 12/1/2013The hot chocolates that we ordered was very good. Food wasn't good at all. Not even a little bit. Presentation was so bad that I had to force myself to take a bite; even though we were starving. I was terribly disappointed with the food and its presentation. Salad was falling of the plate. It looked like everything was just dumped on the plate without any care. Hot chocolate was the only thing that looked appealing and tasted great.
- Best food in our 4 day stayvegheadDined on 11/23/2013My husband and I were in town from Portland, Oregon. We are very spoiled by great food places in Portland, so we are becoming rather picky eaters. My husband had their homemade pasta special and I had the quiche special. The waitress recommended my husband order the half order pasta and add a salad because their pastas are so rich. Good advice. So balanced, delicious, and flavorful. The pumpkin-ginger pie and americano coffees topped off our meal perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- before the moivieLorettaDined on 10/19/2013before a movie , we ate at Chocolate. the bread was the best I have possible ever had. both entrees sooo good, my daughter had a seafood salad, and I had the pasta rosettes. we shared and the waitress brought an extra plate when she served the food. the salad was large, greens fresh and delicious, seafood plentiful, and dressing was perfect. The rosettes were huge, so good and between both plates we were full, but not too full. we ordered triple choc cake and a cannoli. even though we ate every bite, we were not stuffed...it was delightful all around. great service great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have had better times there before.mbl2kDined on 10/8/2013This was Restaurant Week, so they should have had more people working (only 2 servers), so things were a little slow and we felt a little neglected (there were 4 of us). I'm been at this place a number of times, but mostly outside, so I didn't realize how noisy it could get inside. I've also had better food all the other times I've eaten there, so I normally would have given it more stars for everything than I did for this dining experience, but the desserts were, as always, amazing!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant week in santa cruzrushedDined on 10/6/2013our food was excellent. But when we were only a little over half way finished with our entree, your waiter brought our desserts. They were not anything that couldn't hve waited. We felt rushed and that down-graded our dining experience. Since it was restaurant week in sc, it was understandable. but we talked with others at other restaurants who did not have this experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad service, over-priced foodvalleDined on 10/5/2013When I saw the menu online, I was sold. I had to go to try this place eventhough the review was just okay. I had garlic cheese with bread for appetizer, spicy chocolate bbq pork roast for dinner, a cup of capucinno, and a slice of chocolate cake. The food came almost one hour later after we placed the order and nobody came to check on us while waiting or even after the food came. I must say the only thing good there is the dessert. The cappuccino was okay. I would not recomnend this place if you have sophisticated palate. You will be dissapointed.
- Food was much better than ServicergubashDined on 10/5/2013Well it could have just been the restaurant week impact, but the service was lacking on the night I dined at Chocolate. First, were were greeted by a friendly host who had our table ready. But then we had to ask who our server was after a bit of a wait. Finally, it took an exorbitant amount of time for us to receive our entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice menu, friendly andThe1BigWoofDined on 10/5/2013Very nice menu, friendly and capable staff, a fun experience.Special Features:
- Who doesn't love good chocolate?JuneDined on 10/3/2013This is my 12 yr. old grandson's favorite restaurant to go to with his family, and not only for the chocolate. I somehow had never gone, even and tried to get friends to go for Restaurant Week . They all had been several times, so I invited my grandson. We had a grand time. He loves the chicken pie and the Sofia hot chocolate. I had the pork medallions and went crazy over the gelato with warm bittersweet chocolate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was really a lovely experience.EstrellaenelPolvoDined on 9/19/2013It was really a lovely experience. I arraigned for dinner to be a part of my good friends bachelorette party. All the girls had a great time. All 8 gals loved the food and the service was great and very patient with a group of obnoxious and a bit tipsy gals out on the town. Thank you all so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hassle gradually turned niceMomoDined on 8/24/2013Very frustrated to find out on sat night that my online reservation for 5 did not include outdoor dining. As 2 kind short Hispanic women(?) tried to help but kept saying "no" because of the rules, other tables filled up. Then they couldn't do groups by the window outside. But a group who wasn't even assembled yet that walked in, got the tables we were pulling together. It didn't matter that it was my birthday and we made reservations on line that afternoon. Very frustrating. The tall women waitress was not happy with us - military-like. We finally warmed her up. We were squished in a corner at one small table till a guest left. Then we spread out, loosened up, and enjoyed the food and atmosphere. I hope you fix the reservation system.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs a Food Network make overStevendVIPDined on 8/2/2013Good menu, great premise of local and organic foods, and the food is generally tasty. BUT the interior of Choclate looks like an antique store crashed into a carousel resulting in a mess of weirdness that detracts from the dining experience.
- Ambitious but missing somethingWhyHomVIPDined on 6/8/2013Tries to be quirky with imaginative food but falls short. Portobello appetizer was too salty and onion quiche was bland. pork dis was nicely presented but dry.