Chinois on Main
2709 Main Street
Santa Monica, CA 90405Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $50 and over
Chinois on Main
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/restaurants/fine-dining/3654
- Phone: 3103929025
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Rene Mata
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Chinois on Main offers off site catering complete with full bar, wait staff, and decor.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a brand new private dining room with a built in sound system and plasma TV Screen. It accommodates up to 50 people.
- Private Party Contact: Bella Lantsman; firstname.lastname@example.org 3103923038
A word from Chinois on Main
Wolfgang Puck's second restaurant opened in 1983. A unique blend of Chinese and French fusion explodes with flavors unheard of before. Imitated but yet never captured to this day this fusion of flavors keeps you craving and coming back for more. The food is served family style, creating a fun sharing experience that brings people together. The trend setting open kitchen where you can sit and eat while you watch the dance of the chefs working in unison. ***If you are interested in reserving our dining counter please make a request while making a reservation since seating is very limited***Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerChinese
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Chinois on Main - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
Chinois on Main reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (97)special occasion (85)neighborhood gem (67)good for groups (39)hot spot (38)romantic (28)notable wine list (27)great for lunch (26)kid-friendly (8)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (6)great for brunch (5)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Repeat Customer!!!EdwinEDined on 10/19/2014We've been dinning at this fine restaurant for over a couple of years, we never had a bad meal and atmosphere is very pleasant. I highly recomendent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super restaurantRainmanDined on 10/11/2014Food was delicious and uniquely presented. Service was knowledgeable and friendly without being obtrusive. A bit pricey, but you know that going in. Most customers are dressed very casually.Special Features:
- Embarrassing...CastellianVIPDined on 10/3/2014I've lived in LA/Santa Monica for 10 years and finally decided to try Chinois. I wish I hadn't. Bad in every way. Not horrible, but certainly not worth nearly the $150+ check for two. It's time to either close this location/concept or completely refresh it. It's currently an embarrassment to the Wolfgang Puck brand and to the man himself. The lighting was cafeteria like. The food was inconsistent and each dish missed the mark. I wish I could get that evening back.....
- You won't be disappointed!FoodsnobDined on 9/27/2014We were a group of 8 to celebrate my husband's 50th bday. Great service - even offered to start with noodles for my 10 year old. Incredible food especially the scallops! De-lish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Santa MoncAmaverickVIPDined on 9/26/2014yEAR AFTER YEAR i AM AMAZED BY THE CONSISTENCE GREAT FOOD AND SERVICE. iT'S LIKE GOING TO YOU AUNT'S HOME FOR dINNER oR lUNCH.Special Features:
- Consistently ExcellentLeCapitaineDined on 9/23/2014One of my favorite places to dine in the Los Angeles area. Consistently delicious, never a bad meal or a bad evening. Love the decor, food and people. The soft-shell crab when available is the best I've ever had, and the Shanghai lobster is amazing.Special Features:
- Asian Fusion by a MasterJoefromJerseyDined on 9/21/2014Excellent service by a knowledgeable waiter started our meal. First time at this restaurant and waiter guided us to the stars of the menu. Timing of courses was ideal allowing us to eat at just the right pace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScrumptiousZoeSVIPDined on 9/21/2014Chinois On Main may have been around for 31 years but it's food is still absolutely fresh and delicious. The service was excellent. We sat at the counter and watched them prepare our fabulous meal. I highly recommend dining here for another 31 years.Special Features:
- Some things never change...OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/19/2014Thank goodness!!!! Chinois…you continue to rock…yippee.Special Features:
- Always Good Asian FusionSpankyVIPDined on 9/18/2014This is a restaurant that we always enjoy. The food is interesting, though not inexpensive. The Duck is particularly good, as is the fried rice. They don't tend to have a large selection of nightly specials, but the regular menu will do you well for several visits.Special Features:
- Great food but stuck in 1983WestchesterChicaVIPDined on 9/14/2014I had being wanting to go to Chinois on Main for over 31 years and finally i went with friend that were visiting from Florida and wanted to eat at the famous Chinois... We had no problems getting a table for 4 at 8 pm on a Sunday night. The clientele was older and the decor was tired. It did not feel like we were in a Wolfgang Puck restaurant. But the food was delicious specially the crispy spinash... Will return if they re-decorateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The finest in Venice!foodnerdDined on 9/13/2014Chinois on Main started as a statement by Wolfgang Puck close to 20 years ago, and remains to this day an icon of fine dining. Living in the Marina, this is one of my favorite bastions of truly excellent fine food restaurants. I have never been disappointed, not even once. The signature catfish is a must, as is the lobster. On my last visit the offered beef shortribs as special, and they literally melted in your mouth, they were so tender, not to mention wonderfully they tasted with the sauce. If you are looking for a fine dining experience and you don't want to take chances, Chinois is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- STILL AS GOOD AS IT WASADKonfoodDined on 9/12/2014We have been going to Chinois on Main for over 25 years once or twice a year, generally for guests or special occasions, and continue to be amazed by how well it holds up. As the years pass, its seems both smaller and noisier but that is more about our tolerances than the restaurant. What is amazing is the continuing "wow" factor when we taste the food. It is truly special. It also affords world class people watching.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/11/2014Consistently wonderful, it's our favorite LA restaurant!
- FeedbackOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/8/2014When I went to reserve a table for 7pm, I was told it was booked. Restaurant was empty. Service was slow to get menus, orders taken, etc. Food was ok.
- spycnbrDined on 9/7/2014Really nice dining experience and the food was up to the hype.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant!EdwinHousesDined on 9/7/2014Very Friendly staff, Great food, awesome ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful experienceBlungoldDined on 9/6/2014Chinois on Main never disappoints! Old signature dishes continue to delight new and wonderful addition to a very creative fusion menu. Chinese with a French flair along with superb service. Thank you Michael and as always my hat is off to Wolfgang and Chinois's kitchen ensemble. Congratulations on your 31 year anniversary in business!Special Features:
- drajjanDined on 9/3/2014Fantastic food.Great service.LIsa you are great !!! The guys from swedenSpecial Features:
- AristocratDined on 9/3/2014Excellent food service and ambience- THE ARISTOCRATSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marvin is 93SandyjkVIPDined on 8/31/2014The dishes kept coming and each one was delicious. Seven of us shared soft shell crab, lobster, lamb chops, salad and lightly steamed veggies. The menu has a great variety of dishes to please everyone.I would recommend this to a friend.
- georgeDined on 8/25/2014A one-time destination for foodies. Not sure what all the rave is about. The amount of lobster was minute and the crispy spinach mildly interesting. The curry itself was average. The chicken salad was gigantic and did help fill one up. The spring rolls were nicely crispy but lacked substance. Nice to have been there but not sure when we are going back. It seems to be clearly trading on reputation and presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Journey into the past!WernerBDined on 8/23/2014We ate there 20 years before - everything is the same way!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently OutstandingEncinoJeffDined on 8/20/2014This was my third visit to Chinois on Main and it did not disappoint. I wanted a memorable dining experience for family visiting from NY and we got all we had been lead to expect from prior visits: delicious, inventive dishes served beautifully in a kitschy, pastel decor that all at once says French-Asian and the beach. The staff was again friendly and accommodating and, at our request, offered excellent food and wine suggestions. The crab cakes and scallop dishes were our favorites, but the beef and noodle selections were also exceptional. Even the salads that appeared to be primarily a garnish were unusual and mouth-watering. There was even a celebrity sighting for our out-of-town guests. Do not hesitate to try this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What can you sayStuartVIPDined on 8/17/2014This is one of best restaurant in the county of L A. Chinois sometime falls of my radar, but when it reappears they always amazes me!Special Features:
- Never disappointsHappyFoodieDined on 8/14/2014This place never disappoints. The food and service are always great whenever I eat here. I love the friendly atmosphere, the wonderful service that makes you feel at home, and of course the food. My friend and I had the duck and seared tuna with ravioli appetizer, Shanghai lobster with fried spinach which was delicious! The lemon meringue was light and fluffy and just melts in your mouth!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in townOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014We go to Chinois for Special occasions as it is a little pricey for us. But the food is amazing and the service super. It has been a neighborhood fixture for over 30 years and never fails to impress. To us it's still the best meal in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food better in the 80sLaurenfromLAVIPDined on 8/13/2014We had a family meal here the other night using a Living Social coupon. The food was only fair. The crispy spinach, which I remember as being phenomenal, was so salty, it was inedible. And several of the other dishes, which were Szechuan, were a little too spicy for me. The decor is tired. The service was outstanding though.
- Best in Santa MonicaSurpriseVIPDined on 8/8/2014Consistently the best restaurant in Santa Monica since 1983. You can not miss the Chinese Chicken salad, the Peking duck, the lamb wraps and especially the fired catfish which is done just after you order it. The ambiance is always pleasant and the service is very attentive without being intrusive or annoying as can happen in many high end restaurants. Consistently the best restaurant in Santa Monica since 1983. You can not miss the Chinese Chicken salad, the Peking duck, the lamb wraps and especially the fired catfish which is done just after you order it. The ambiance is always pleasant and the service is very attentive without being intrusive or annoying as can happen in many high end restaurants. You should not have a minimum numberSpecial Features:
- STAYING POWERNoelDined on 8/8/2014STILL GREAT AFTER ALL THESE YEARS! THANK GOODNESS SOMETHING DON'T CHANGE AND STAY!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic retrosmartnsavvyVIPDined on 8/8/2014I had not been to Chinois in years and I found it just wonderful in everyday. I will be back soon. The food was fantastic. I was reminded that this was the original Asian fusion restaurant and here I had the authentic chinese chicken salad, duck fried rice, and other great specialties that were better than anywhere else. The hostess was a lovely outgoing person able to talk about the history, and the staff are the same after decades. This speaks to the staying power of Wolfgang Puck and this place in particular. I encourage you to try it soon, and they have a private party room I plan to use somehow soon. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A long time favoriteLeCapitaineDined on 8/6/2014I have never had a bad meal at Chinois, and I've been going for years. They have the best soft-shell crab ever, but you have to catch them when in season. The Shanghai Lobster is amazing, as is the catfish, and so many other dishes. I love the food, I love the decor, and I love the people. We are always welcomed and we always enjoy ourselves.Special Features:
- Still Good After All These YearsdinneronmeVIPDined on 8/2/2014Wonderful Asian Fusion that has something for everybody. Yummy!Special Features:
- Best Chinese food everthreebeadDined on 7/30/2014Particularly love the lobster curry with fried spinach mm mm! Try the Billicart salmon Champagne with your meal. The bubbly goes so well with this kind of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food no sparkleSammyCVIPDined on 7/27/2014I was a bit weary about eating here when I didn't see any asian cooks or staff. The decor was from an earlier generation and the ambiance lacked that sparkle that alot of the upscale Chinese restaurants have (ie. wp24, hakkasan, mr. chow). So we ordered. Opting not to do the dine LA menu. The regular menu had stuff more my style: Pork Ribs, Szechuan Beef, and Braised Short Ribs and duck fried rice... Each dish was immaculate. The foods full of flavors and fit for foodies everywhere. The fried rice had chunks of broccoli and corn. I loved it. I would definitely return.Special Features:
- Legendary food.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/26/2014You will never be disappointed by this iconic Santa Monica restaurant -- from it's legendary food to its gracious interior. If you have only one night in LA, eat here.Special Features:
- Terrible ServiceDianeDined on 7/26/2014Have wanted to go to Chinoise for a long time & was really excited to finally make it. We went for DineLA and the experience was less than satisfactory. The service was really bad - the waitress didn't have many tables & yet she hardly made it to our table at all. She forgot some of our food, waited forever to get our desserts, etc. And the noise level was really loud. Could barely her the person sitting next to me. The food was good though, not great but good. Certainly not going back here again.
- Good DineLA lunchnoshDined on 7/25/2014Great service as always. Fun companion. Food always excellent, but I wasn't as impressed by my DineLA lunch as past. Starter (Chinois chicken salad) and entrees (szechwan beef and chicken) seemed a touch smaller than before. Good lunch and value, but not as great as I've had before.Special Features:
- Unique food!KayByTheSeaDined on 7/24/2014If you are tired of the same old menus - go to Chinois. Went there many years ago and wanted to try it again. Was not disappointed - the steamed crispy catfish is amazing (and we don't usually like catfish). Go with several friends and share as many dishes as possible - just not suitable for quiet conversation...very loud and lively.Special Features:
- Outstanding!!!GrandmaFranDined on 7/24/2014We came here during Dine LA. The food was delicious! I especially liked the salmon sashimi tower. It was stunning to look at, the fish was very fresh and I really enjoyed it. I was a bit taken aback by the fish I ordered since it came with head and tail and had I known I wouldn't have ordered it. But my friend was more than happy to eat it so I traded for her orange chicken which was wonderful. I tasted the fish and it was very good but still....the head....the tail. Dessert was delicious. The service was good, it was a very leisurely lunch. We were there about two hours but since we were in no hurry to go anywhere else that was fine. A delightful lunch and I look forward to going back.Special Features: