2079 E. 4th
Cleveland, OH 44115Neighborhood:
Downtown Cleveland / E. 4th Street
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chinatocleveland.com/
- Phone: 216-298-9080
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday 11:00am - 10:00pm Thursday-Friday 11:00am-12:00am, Saturday 4:00pm-12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Zach Bruell
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Chinato has a beautiful, lower level dining space that can accommodate groups of all sizes and has a variety of seating options depending on style and needs of your particular group. This room has a beautiful private bar, as well as AV equipment. This space can be used for business meetings (AM or PM), rehearsal dinners, weddings, holiday parties, baby showers, intimate family gatherings or even a small cocktail party. We tailor your event to fit your needs.
- Private Party Contact: Shannon Bizga 2162989080
- Special Events: Happy Hour @ the bar and in the lounge Monday - Saturday 4:30pm-6:30pm & 9:00pm-close
A word from Chinato
Chinato is a multi regional Italian restaurant focused on traditional, fresh Italian cuisine. Casual friendly and affordable, Chinato is a place where people can enjoy great food, wine, and spirits and experience superior service, all in a comfortable, and inviting atmosphere. Chinato is located on East 4th, in the heart of Cleveland’s premier dining and entertainment district!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Chinato reviews from OpenTable diners
189 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (127)special occasion (89)hot spot (59)neighborhood gem (57)romantic (54)notable wine list (53)great for outdoor dining (44)good for groups (35)vibrant bar scene (29)great for lunch (21)scenic view (15)late-night find (14)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- ACCobraDined on 9/20/2014Ate at a booth in the bar. Great view for people watching and seemed more quite than the dining room. The bread was disappointing, not warm. Burrata was not what I expected but quite good. Once I appreciated the corn fusilli was in broth and ate it like a soup it was wonderful. The vegan sausage was excellent even for a meat eater. The gnocchi were outstanding. I would definitely eat that when I return. The bar tender could have been more attentive but service was good. We were in and out in a little over an hour and in time to walk back to the theater.Special Features:
- Wonderful mealForrestFireDined on 9/19/2014Great food and service. No hassle. Everything delivered as promised or described.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too rushed!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Too rushed when you are looking to leisurely dine. Appetizer came within 3 minutes of ordering, followed immediately by main course. Food was very good however as a result we felt we were rushed in and out in less, than an hour from sitting down and paying bill. Almost felt like a fast food restaurant.Special Features:
- Great PlaceLorenDined on 9/17/2014I love this place- every time we are there we get great service and great food! The bartender Annie took care of us, and she was fabulous! I would recommend this place to anyone who visits E 4th street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love Chinato!MelissaBVIPDined on 9/16/2014My husband and I recently visited Chinato for my birthday celebration. The food was delicious, our waitress was great and recommended our meal choices and wine, and you can't beat the location on East 4th.Special Features:
- Our Favorite E. 4thohiowineoDined on 9/15/2014This has become our favorite restaurant in the E 4th Street area. Food preparation is always filled with flavors and appropriately seasoned. Service is very comfortable (attentive, but not overbearing).Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Food was nothing special for the price. Overrated.
- Very SpecialtopeyedocVIPDined on 9/13/2014I have dined at Chinato many times. Whether as a couple or as part of a larger group the experience has been superior. The menu is highly original and inspired. The dishes are well executed. The service is impeccable. I can't fault them in any aspect of the dining experience.Special Features:
- Reasonable Prices Exceptional Foodjoeski1965Dined on 9/12/2014The wife and I wanted dinner before the show what we got was better than the show! We walked into a beautifully decorated setting simply classic. We both ordered the shaved mushroom salad, delicious she then ordered the veal and I the Pork Osso Bucco again DELICIOUS my pork was so tender they served it with a steak knife that I did not use. Lastly we ordered the cherry tort with chocolate gelato and the chocolate mousse cake need I say Delicious one more time. Our server was very pleasant and helpful in choosing our dishes very well versed on the entire menu. Walked out under 100.00 for two complete exceptional tasting dinner experiences. Thank You Z. BruelleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!HappynightDined on 9/10/2014After reading OpenTable reviews and Yelp reviews we decided to have dinner at Chinato and are we glad. This restaurant was only two doors down from hotel so we had walked by it on a couple of occasions and figured it must be good because of how busy it was. Our server was great - very helpful and enthusiastic about the menu and wines. We actually wondered if she was related to the owner as she suggested we try his other restaurants. My husband had the Fish special which was halibut - I had the pasta with pork shoulder. All I can say is excellent. My husband loved the octopus salad and I had the special salad of the day - No room for desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dinner DelightGrazianoDined on 9/9/2014My loves birthday dinner was at Chinato's, a Cleveland hot spot and a Zack Bruell restaurant, she's wanted to try since we started dating in January. It was everything we thought it would be. Great atmosphere, wonderful tasting wine, outstanding service accompanied by great food. I was extremely impressed with the service & staff. The craft cocktails are fresh and delicious. Great draft & bottled beer selections too. My girlfriend ordered the lamb crespelle, she remarked it was the best lamb she ever tasted. I ordered the fettuccine carbonara, and I really enjoyed that is was a homemade fettuccine carbonara with pork! We have also been to Table 45, a Zack Bruell establishment, and it was equally amazing! Try both, we plan to return again!Special Features:
- Well done!CLEOAKDined on 9/8/2014My dinner of Halibut was really good. The star of the show was a mushroom salad I had to start! So good, with capers and lemon juice. Will be back for that dish again!Special Features:
- Not Impressedkentfood4Dined on 9/6/2014Unfortunately, my husband and I did not have a good food experience 9/6/14. I ordered the ravioli stuffed with duck confit and my husband ordered the gnocchi. Both were incredibly under seasoned and covered in shaved cheese that completely overwhelmed the dishes. The filling of my ravioi was luke warm while other diners around me had piping hot dishes. I also ordered one of their signature drinks...the Patio Palagrini and was also underwhelmed. You should never walk out of a restaurant thinking the bread that you dipped in oil was the highlight of the dinner. This was our first time going and our last. This restaurant has very good reviews so I am going to assume our experience was just a fluke!
- Great Experiencempowe39Dined on 9/2/2014Went here for a business dinner. Attentive and fast service. Dinner (Fluke with stewed artichoke, fennel, and tomatoes) was fantastic.Special Features:
- Chinato was fantastic!KadydogDined on 8/30/2014There were four of us and we were able to sit outside ---- great food and great people watching! My husband ordered octopus for the very first time and he said he would definitely order it again. My wing skate was delicious as was everyone's meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going BackDonGroteDined on 8/30/2014This is a Gem in the Cleveland Scene.Waiters are very Knowledgable with everything on menu. The Cheese tray was superior. Loved the Duck Ravioli. with everything on fourth street this is the go to spot.Special Features:
- Good food and serviceFoodieWithIssuesVIPDined on 8/23/2014I've been to Chinato's before and have always enjoyed it. The menu is a little intimidating -- I know a lot about food but still did not know many of the words in the descriptions, but the server was very amenable to describing things. I had the pork osso buco and it was yummy, although just a tad salty for my taste. But, the restaurant was very busy with people going to all the downtown events and despite that, the service was exceptional and professional. I was very impressed. Chinato's food is inventive and tasty and very well-priced. It would be fun to have an outside table, but there isn't all that much seating out there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/23/2014Dining al fresco at Chinato's was a perfect way to prepare for an Indians game on the busiest Saturday evening of the summer. East 4th Street was abuzz with people strolling, dining and enjoying the sights. With our advance notice via Open Tables, the staff was well prepared to serve my wife according to her dietary needs. With a slight modification, her veal breast was a delightful success, accompanied by a lovely wine selection. My scallops in a lobster sauce were fabulous. No rush, just a wonderful dinner before a Tribe victory. Thanks to Zach Bruell's wonderful kitchen and wait staff.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014We were disappointed in our food choices. Quantity was small. Some odd tastes. Prices were high for the quantity of food.Special Features:
- great food but ripped seat and menuToMegDined on 8/22/2014We had wonderful meal but we still think of the ripped seat and dog earred menu. For the kind of money we shelled out, you'd think they'd reinvest in the facility.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDINGLisaDined on 8/21/2014We were staying in Cleveland for one night & researched restaurants with available seating for dinner on OpenTable. Chinato got good reviews & we were in the mood for Italian food, plus it was walking distance from our hotel. The reviews described the food as "simple" Italian. LOL! This food was extraordinary, not simple at all! We ordered the tomato salad special, fried baby artichokes, and the muscles for appetizers & swordfish with olive tapanade, salmon with farro, & pork osso buco for dinner, & then a selection of cheeses for dessert. The complexity of the flavor combinations, the textures, & the colors were remarkable! Every bite was divine! Before I run out of room, I must sing praises for our waitress, Emily, who was magnificent!Special Features:
- Great cap off to the Tour De BruellJoelVIPDined on 8/21/2014We completed the Tour De Bruell with a visit to Chinato, and were impressed with the consistency of the high quality, inventiveness, service at all five restaurants. We rank Chinato number two, after L'Albatros, but it was a very close contest among all of them. Chinato had the best mussels, the tomato, mozzarella, arugula and red onion salad was perfect, and the entrees were superb. We usually opt out of dessert, but celebrated completion of the tour by sharing a cherry tart that was just right. And, to top it off, the manager came to our table to thank us for completing the tour and chatted with us for a few minutes. Zack Bruell's organization not only cooks well, but hires and trains their staff well.Special Features:
- Vegan eggplantMazz10VIPDined on 8/16/2014The vegan eggplant was delicious. This one of my favorite restaurants and it never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We brought out-of-town guests.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We all loved it. The food was very good. The atmosphere felt good. Service was perfect. Had a wonderful time.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014I had the blackened cod and my husband had the swordfish and we were both very happy with our food and service. We sat outside and it is a little noisy outside on 4th st. If you want quiet you should eat inside.Special Features:
- clevedinerDined on 8/15/2014Pasta was excellent, as was the polenta/mushroom appetizer. The pizza was fair, wouldn't recommend it. Ask before you order a bottle of the house wine. It was $60 and nothing special. The service was outstanding!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014My wife and I had dinner before a concert. It was very busy and everything was great. Norenzo was our server and Jean was the GM. despite the crowd, everything was perfect. My wife had the gnocchi and I had the vegan eggplant. Both were excellent. Wine selection was quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pre-concert dinnernonameDined on 8/14/2014Group of 5 had reservations for 5:30pm prior to a concert at the Q. I totally recognize that these are busy periods for all of the restaurants on East 4th. Tthe service was good but there were a few missed opportunities. There appeared to be plenty of staff waiting/standing at service counter but they missed our empty glasses, bread and oil plate. Given that cocktails have such a high profit margin, empty glasses are a miss. Our group would have had at least one add'l cocktail apiece had someone asked. Service was genuine and kind but could have been more thorough. Salads were great. Entrees were lovely. I appreciate the appetizer sized pasta option so that folks can enjoy an appetizer and/or salad and share amongst friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was ok. not amazingEstroVIPDined on 8/12/2014I cannot say anything was bad. I just had better Italian food that's all. my lasagna was OK. not more. I've tasted my friend's pasta and wasn't overwhelmed. the service was good though... the food? just OK. not worth the price.Special Features:
- Great server, awesome foodjmb0923Dined on 8/11/2014Lindsay was our server and she was great. Answered all questions. was there when we needed her and didn't hover, Food was outstanding.Special Features:
- Was better 2 years agoPaoloDined on 8/9/2014Was here to send off some friends who are leaving Cleveland. Our server was nice and attentive, however, it did take a long time for our main dishes to come. Food was good although the menu lacks more shape to be able to figure what to order. The menu itself could have description of the pastas for the uninitiated (also "col buco" is not correct, but should be fusilli col buco). The tiramisu is not really tiramisu and too sweet for my taste.Special Features:
- Creative Italian on E. 4thSusGBVIPDined on 8/9/2014Expect a hip and lively scene at Chinato and in the surrounding area downtown. Excellent location if you are heading to the Q as we were. Our wait person made sure that the food came out quickly so we had plenty of time to get where we were going. We were seated promptly for our reservation. The first order of drinks came incorrectly and was rapidly fixed. After that, there were no more errors. Mushroom salad was delicious as was the blackened cod. Emphasis on seasonal ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LakewooditeForeverDined on 8/9/2014Food was wonderful. This is a great place to go before or after an event Downtown. Outdoor dining is to see and be seen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Satisfied our Italian food craving!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2014Found this spot online when looking for where to eat in Cleveland. Sounded like East 4th area had a number of restaurants in one area. Once I looked at the menu for Chinato, the decision was made. The experience certainly matched..and even went beyond it's appeal. The antipasti, pastas, even the olive oil for dipping the fresh bread were all superb! My husband has been to Italy and concurred "this is the real deal." We were also within view of the kitchen and so impressed watching the lead chef check presentation and perfect everything before it was served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinner!love2eatDined on 8/8/2014Went to Chinato for a birthday dinner. The food was great! The mushroom polenta was amazing and the pasta with pork shoulder was outstanding. The menu had many different choices for one to choose from. Also, great location on East 4th.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for entertaining guests1discriminatingdinerDined on 8/8/2014The setting is fun and comfortable and the service was really terrific. The food was presented well, but left a little to be desired in some areas. i.e.: The scallops were delicious, but what's with the "croutons?" They did not soak up the sauce, were not tasty and were annoying to eat. The main event on the plates were very good, but the side things were off a bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Redfan12Dined on 8/5/2014Dinner menu offers appetizer size portions for people not wanting a large meal. Great way to enjoy pasta and a great value too. Had this "small plate" with soup ala carte. Very nice way to go.Special Features:
- Another great experiencejennygumpDined on 8/2/2014Fantastic food and vibrant atmosphere. Added to our list of all time favourites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014The bread is wonderful, kind of odd that they give it to you when you first arrive then nothing to go with dinner. It would have been good with the pasta sauces. The chicken scallopine was very good, the spaghetti and meatballs exceptional, scallops and angel hair also good. Pistachio cheesecake was delicious, although it was a small portion and the lemon polenta cake excellent. I'd say the food was a 4-5 but the noise level and banquette seating detracted from the overall experience, felt a bit claustrophobic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ChoiceTP2014Dined on 8/2/2014Service was great. Seated immediately at time of reservation. Enjoyed soup selection and pizza. Great variety in terms of choices as well as portion sizes. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.