China Rose Restaurant
228 - 28 St. SE
Calgary, AB T2A 6J9Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: CAN$30 and under
China Rose Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chinarose.ca/
- Phone: 4032482711
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - close, Sunday: 12:00pm - close; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from China Rose Restaurant
For over 25 years the China Rose Restaurant has been the culinary landmark in northeast Calgary offering a varied menu, consistently tasty food in generous portions and very reasonable prices. Along with prompt personal service and winner of the consumer's choice award since 2004. China Rose has everything for everyone, whether you are looking for a Chinese buffet with all your favorite dishes, an extensive a la carte menu in-restaurant or take-out, a customized menu for your next special occasion or even a place to go after work for cocktails in the lounge or the outdoor patio during summer months. It doesn't matter what season it is, China Rose restaurant is always in full bloom. If you've got an appetite and you delight in Chinese cuisine, then China Rose should be your restaurant of choice. We look forward to serving you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
China Rose Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (4)great for lunch (4)neighborhood gem (4)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (2)special occasion (2)great for brunch (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Great food and serviceHotspotDined on 8/16/2014a great and wonderful experience will recommend to friends and family. Great service and a nice looking restaurant as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LizzieDined on 8/6/2014My reservation was for 7:30 p.m. and the only problem I had was, even though I asked twice, the pan for the Salt & Pepper calamari wasn't refilled. This is one item I always look forward to when I go to China Rose. Everything else in their buffet is good, but I've learned not to have the Ginger Beef - it is hard and difficult to chew. My suggestion is also they need to be more diligent in wiping and cleaning up after their customers -- both arms of the chair I sat in were so sticky. At my request, a server came and wiped the arms, but this tells me their level of cleanliness and hygiene of their tables is severely lacking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HOOKED ON YOUmsgfreeDined on 7/13/2014THIS IS MY LITTLE HEAVEN,SINCE MY DEVELOPED AN ALLERGY EXTREM TO MSG,MY EATING OUT ADVENTURES HAVE COMPLETLY STOPPED,SINCE NO ONE COULD GARENTEE THAT THEY DID HAVE MSG IN THERE FOODS EITHER BY ADDING OR JUST COOKING PRE MADE SAUCES OR DISHES,THEN ONE DAY ON THE WIDE WORLD OG GOOGLE I TYPED IN RESTAURANTS WITHOUT MSG AND CHINA ROSE APPEARED I WENT IN PERSON AND TALK TO THE LOVELY OLDER GENTEMANT ABOUT MY ALLERGY AND I EVEN ASKED IF HE WOULD SING A PAPER STATING NO MSG AND HE GLADLY REPLYED YESS I WOU;D SING THIS PAPER,I THEN TRYED THE LUNCH BOXES AND SINCE THEN I NEVER HAD A REACTION OR BEEN UNHAPPY ABOUT THE FOOD,ANY OCCATION OR EXCUSES TO GO I VOLUNTEER THIS LITTLE GEM,THE STAFF IS FREINDLY AND CARES,FOOD DELISH AND PRICE WE CAN ALL AFFORDSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wrost restaurant everneverdineDined on 6/15/2014This restaurant is garbage. Poor customer services. Super expensive. People putting in the buffet does not know any manner.Special Features:
- The following 42 reviews are from the China Rose Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great Food !BirdmanDined on 5/21/2014Restaurant is showing its age but food and service are great !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DirtyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/7/2014The restaurant was very dirty. The chairs and benches did not appear to have been cleaned for quite some time; many stains and discolorations on the fabric. And the tables appeared to have had no maintenance done to them as well. It was uncomfortable to eat there wondering that if the eating area was so ill-kept, what was the kitchen like.
- Never going there again!!!NewreviewerDined on 4/13/2014The place was run down and dirty. The chairs, at least the one I sat it, had broken springs and was covered in grease stains. The food was luke warm at best and was probably the blandest tasting Chinese food I have ever eaten. As I work downtown near China Town I have a wide experience of tasty Chinese food and China Rose does not qualify for that category. At $19.00 per person for the buffet, I would like to believe that one could enjoy something more than the chicken wings, which my sister said were OK.Special Features:
- We went out as a family forrichieDined on 3/21/2014We went out as a family for dinner and were stuck in the back corner in the bar area, the food was decent. Their were kids running around the buffet and butting in. This restaurant will not be on the top of our list of good places to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food at a reasonable priceTiggerDined on 11/1/2013We had the buffet and it was re-stocked often and the food was good. The service was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DISAPPOINTINGriceloverDined on 5/19/2013We were recommended to go here, but were all very disappointed. We were a family group seniors, adults, teens and children. There wasn't much variety, and not much "healthy" food, such as veggie dishes. Lots of strong flavours-unsuitable for seniors and kids.
- Mother's DayPickDined on 5/12/2013Took my wife, my daughter & her family on Mother's Day for supper. Everyone including my two grandsons really enjoyed their meals. The food was fresh and constantly being replaced as trays became empty and at times some trays were being refilled before they were empty. This was not our first time eating here and still have not a bad meal of any sort. One of the best places for Chinese food in Canada as having retired from the military after 35plus years and travelled all across Canada I will testify to that fact. Will definitely recommend it to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Place looked run down andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/3/2013Place looked run down and junky. This restaurant had stained chairs, paint was chipping off, ceiling had yellow spots. Food was affordable but not that great. Waitress hard a hard time communicating in English but she was friendly. I don’t think we will be coming back.Special Features:
- We went here for Chinese NewMaryCDined on 2/10/2013We went here for Chinese New Year when we discovered that they were having a lion dance at the dinner seating. However, despite the entertainment the food was sub-par. Being of Asian decent, I expected much more flavour out of the dinner buffet. My fiancé, who is Caucasian, also stated that the food was bland and missed flavour. It was disappointing that the Peking duck wraps were dried out and were not replenished while we were there. Granted the food wasn't bad, but we have had much better buffets. I acknowledge that buffets aren't the way to go to experience full flavour by any means but it is a great way to get a little bit of everything without spending $10-$15 per dish. Service was good.Special Features:
- Don't even give it a second thoughtOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/4/2013Haven't been to China Rose for years. We had always enjoyed the food, service and atmosphere of this place and thought we'd go back. The food was off the scale salty. Very limited choice of vegetables on the buffet unless you consider celery and the odd carrot a selection. We sat down and weren't greeted by a server for over 20 minutes for drinks even though there were only 4 other tables in the main resturant. It is unlikely that between the 7 of us that were there that any of us would return. Definately would steer people away from making the same poor decision we did. Very disappointing!
- If you make your reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/27/2013If you make your reservation for noon, they are not quite ready yet. On the other hand, if you do not mind the wait, all the food is piping hot and fresh!! It would be nice if there was at least one curry dish at the buffet. We have been several times to this restaurant and buffet and enjoy everything about it.Special Features:
- Furniture was old and peeling.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/18/2013Furniture was old and peeling. Food had been on the buffet past it's prime. Good value for the price.Special Features:
- Not good...not good at allOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/16/2013The restaurant is a nice one....the food was not good. The buffet did not have a good selection and what was there was overcooked and cold. And most of the dishes were empty. We had no idea who our server was and the two or three that came up to us was random.
- China Rose has been a familyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012China Rose has been a family favorite for years. They have great service and the best Chinese food in the city.Special Features:
- Great food, great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/24/2012Great food, great service. Will definitely come again.Special Features:
- Great buffet food. Tasty! Fresh!ILUVFLEMINGSVIPDined on 11/28/2012A wonderful surprise. Buffet food that was hot, fresh, very tasty and a clean warm environment. Service was superb.Special Features:
- Very nice, mentioned in myOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/16/2012Very nice, mentioned in my email and said there was a birthday person and we were pleasantly surprised that a nice dessert with candles were brought to the table. Will definetly be going back.Special Features:
- I love going to China RoseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/29/2012I love going to China Rose for the outstanding buffet. The two of us ladies sat at the table for quite some time because she was opening a birthday gift. The waitress hovered around until we were ready to go to the buffet and did not interrupt us. No pressure/good. The waitress returned to the table intermittently to check with us to see if we needed anything, but did not overdo it. When it was time to leave, I took the tab to the cashier and the young fellow there seemed to be new and did not seem to know what to do about the cash register. He had to leave the register and go to find someone to help him. When the transaction was completed, he also did not know that the till slip can be given back to the customer as the receipt.Special Features:
- We have only tried it once.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2012We have only tried it once. My wife and I had the buffet. It was ok, but as per any buffet, most of the food all tasted the same. Maybe if we return we will try ordering off of the menu to see if this corrects that. The restaurant decor seemed a little tired, old and dingy and in need of an uplift. All the staff was wonderful though. Very personable and not phony friendly. They were very attentive without being bothersome.
- My husband is in a wheelchairOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/7/2012My husband is in a wheelchair and yes it does has handicap parking but is not set up to be easy for a person in a wheelchair to get around when trying out the buffet.
- We were looking for somewhereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/31/2012We were looking for somewhere to take our 5 month old. Where is wouldn't disturb anyone and we could get out for dinner. The booths were nice and big to accommodate her. We took turns at the buffet. It was just average. Nothing special. Some of the items tasted stale and old. I don't think we will be back.Special Features:
- Food was average to good. WantedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/11/2012Food was average to good. Wanted to enjoy the crabs legs but the so called "butter" was like some foreign product I'd never tasted before, and DO NOT WISH to taste again. It was horrid, in my opinion, and really de-valued the crab leg experience. Our table was old and surface was "chipped"...really took away from a "welcoming" environment.Special Features:
- The buffet was pretty good.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/22/2012The buffet was pretty good. Lots of variety and we all ate a lot! There was a big group of us so they put us in a private room which was great.Special Features:
- This was my third time atOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/20/2012This was my third time at China Rose eating at the buffet. Since it was a quiet night, the buffet was not replenished. Some food items looked like they had been sitting there for hours. They looked old and were not very tasty. Even though there were not many people at the restaurant we were led to a table with a huge surface stain on it and a broken chair was offered to my husband to sit on. Service was acceptable.Special Features:
- The lunch buffet had reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/7/2012The lunch buffet had really good selections & the food was good. There was a very large group in so it was tough to get to the buffet for a time. No one ever came and replenished our beverages but our plates were cleared quickly.Special Features:
- Many choices, food OK. VeryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/20/2011Many choices, food OK. Very Busy so I knew the food was fresh.Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurant for allOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/18/2011Wonderful restaurant for all occasions, I only go for lunch which I enjoy and love the fact that there are so many choices available with no MSG.Special Features:
- china rose was a disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/22/2011I had been to China Rose years ago and chose it for a special occasion. We had a group of 10 and the majority of us were disappointed. The buffet selection was small and staff had a hard time keeping the trays full. The service was the worst I have experienced in a long time. In two hours we were asked for drink refills twice and when additional members of our party arrived we were hunting for someone to take drink orders. Very disappointing. One positive note the seating was very comfortableSpecial Features:
- A very good, family friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2011A very good, family friendly Chinese buffet. Staff were friendly and helpful. Food was tasty, fresh and replenished regularly. Dessert bar could have a bit more variety but was certainly adequate.Special Features:
- Great Food!opptimistVIPDined on 8/17/2011The food was great at China Rose, we didn't do the buffet but rather ordered the dinner for 2 and ordered the Salt & Pepper Calamari as an extra item off the menu (there were 3 of us) and we had leftovers to take home for lunch the next day! The ginger beef was awesome, cooked just right and the Calamari, well that was a big hit with everyone!Special Features:
- My family enjoys going toOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/19/2011My family enjoys going to China Rose because of the buffet as it is MSG free. The service was great too, there was a server always walking around checking on tables constantly.Special Features:
- Overall the restaurant wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/26/2011Overall the restaurant was very good because there was a big selection of dishes and the price was reasonable. One of the meat dishes was pretty tough but the others were all good. Our server was very pleasant but had to ask for coffee rather than having it offered more often, he also made a couple minor mistakes. Our server seemed(I may be wrong) a bit unhappy with the tip we left him(it was good tip for a buffet style restaurant).Special Features:
- Restaurant was very good,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/13/2011Restaurant was very good, service great! The majority of the people seemed to be taking advantage of the buffet, but we ordered off of the menu. Nice selection and portions huge! Dinner for 2 could have fed 3 or 4. We were really hungry and didn't even eat half! Only negative comment is that the food could have been hotter (temp) - great flavor saved this experience, the food arrived warm, not hot and then cooled quickly. We would still go back. =)Special Features:
- We went for the mothers dayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/8/2011We went for the mothers day smorgasbord. It was fairly pricey but they did have all you could eat king crab legs and prime rib. All of the food was delicious and they had several desserts to choose from including cheese cake. Everyone in our party left satisfied and the rose for the mothers was a nice touch. We will be back.Special Features:
- A lot to be said for consistency.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/22/2011Consistently great food and friendly service. I've seen everything from family diners to business luncheons being held here. I have no problem recommending China Rose for both the food and the experience. Very family friendly restaurant.Special Features:
- We were disappointed withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/19/2011We were disappointed with the food and found the service awful.