China Grill - New York
60 West 53rd Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $50 and over
China Grill - New York
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chinagrillmgt.com/restaurants-and-bars/china-grill-ny
- Phone: (212) 333-7788 ext. 1
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:45pm - 4:30pm Saturday 12:00pm-5:00pm
Dinner: Sunday: 3:00pm-10:00pm Monday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm Friday & Saturday: 5:00PM - 11:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Asian, International
- Executive Chef: Vidal Hernanadez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: 42" Plasma Screens at both bars
- Special Events: On-site Sales & Events manager, Elizabeth Katusa at 212 554 6507 or email@example.com
- Cross Street: 53rd Street between 5th and 6th Avenue
- Public Transit: E or V Train to 53rd Street& 5th Avenue B,E,D Trains to 7th Avenue N,R Train to 55th Street
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Now offering parking validation for discounted parking from 5pm-midnight at 1330 6th Ave—entrance located on 53rd directly across from China Grill.
A word from China Grill - New York
China Grill provides a globe-spanning culinary adventure in a spectacular setting. While Asian flavors and techniques are an influence, the menu is labeled as “world cuisine” with virtually every dish being prepared on either grills or in woks using ingredients gathered from pantries around the globe. Portions are generous, dramatically presented, and meant to be shared family style. Spectacular architectural settings, including an exhibition kitchen in the center of the restaurant are also part of the China Grill magic, creating a place to see and be seen.Continued
To check out what’s happening at your favorite hotspots, visit http://www.chinagrillmgt.com/restaurants-and-bars/china-grill-ny
To check out what’s happening at your favorite hotspots, visit http://www.chinagrillmgt.com/restaurants-and-bars/china-grill-ny
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
China Grill - New York - Best Restaurants in Midtown West ›
China Grill - New York reviews from OpenTable diners
198 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (102)good for groups (95)special occasion (71)great for lunch (62)hot spot (45)neighborhood gem (44)romantic (38)great for outdoor dining (30)vibrant bar scene (23)great for brunch (17)late-night find (16)notable wine list (16)kid-friendly (9)scenic view (7)Show More
- TouristDined on 11/22/2014Food was good, but we were served our main curse before we had finished the appetizer. So we had to eat cold meals, which should not be necessary. We came on a SAturday evening and the place was half empty...I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great time hereSergioDined on 11/21/2014The fixed menu was outstanding. The service was very good, and the ambience is super coolSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best!AliyaDined on 11/20/2014I always go to China Grill. Amazing food. You have to try the Calamari salad, best salad I have ever had. Great service! No loud noises. A must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and beautiful flavoursGunnywareDined on 11/18/2014Great friendly service. I brought a group of ten (Chinese, Taiwanese, Australian guests) and tried the tasting menu. Very tasty food, great variety and beautiful flavours. As good as I'd get back in Hong Kong. The feedback from the group was all very positive. I would recommend it to others and it's not over priced. Not surprised its been around for so long in the hyper competitive New York restaurant scene. Very much worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatRTR3Dined on 11/18/2014This has been a favorite of mine for 20 years. The place is still very unique. Great bar and very good service. It is very pricey however the family style portions have been reduced. That is a bad combination. The signature salads and starters are too small to share with a group. A good waiter will tell you if they know you've been there before. I enjoyed my dinner and the environment but it felt like I had a really expensive sampler. I got a chicken sandwich on the way home...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold table by door. Waitress ignored us. Poor foodPeterDined on 11/18/2014I was disappointed. I ordered the duck and the pancakes were moist and fell apart in my hands. We could not get the servers attention and had to wait almost 30 minutes for the check.Special Features:
- Picky eaterGiant1Dined on 11/18/2014I usually enjoy basic food choices but China Grille from its appetizers through its deserts are fantastic.the barbecued wild salmon was terrific . Service was terrific and accommodating to all our specific needs and requests. Go and you will enjoy!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasantMightymouseDined on 11/15/2014Great ambience with spacious seating and interesting decor. The bar was vibrant while our party of eight sat comfortably at a round table in the main dining area. Service was attentive and efficient. The Calamari salad was delicious and the slaws were were really yummy and inventive. We shared short ribs, shrimp, dumplings, all done really well. Perfect pre-theater dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic but...LydiaMVIPDined on 11/13/2014We wanted to order EVERYTHING! Guess we'll just have to return. Server was awesome, not intrusive and very helpful with the menu. Food was really delicious and quick. This is a really great gem for Pre-Theatre dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDisappointedDined on 11/10/2014It was our wedding anniversary so a special occasion. Starters arrived at ten minute intervals!! My scallops were amazing but cold, ten minutes later the beef dumplings arrived, after another ten minutes and two reminders the third starter arrived. After complaining these were removed from the bill, and complimentary drinks for just three of our party were served - the fourth member (me) was excluded for some reason! Mains were delicious but when we paid the bill another disaster. We paid half in cash and the remainder on my card, unfortunately the waiter took it all off my card! We then had to be refunded and start again all very stressful and what should have been a celebration was a disaster. Very noisy party close didn't help.Special Features:
- Does service have to be this hard?dBobbyVVIPDined on 11/10/2014I am a fan of China Grill but I am still stunned at the timing of food delivery on my last visit. There were 3 of us and although we all ordered at the same time our appetizers were served in sequence, 5 minutes apart so that Guest 1 was served his, Guest 2 five minutes later and Guest 3 five minutes after that. Our entrée followed in the same manner. Really? Guest 1 was almost done in each case by the time Guest 3 was served. I have never seen this before. We're not talking about the time for the server to go back to the kitchen but material delays in cooking and serving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WineanddineDined on 11/9/2014I did order Prix Fix brunch 4 weeks in advance after viewing the advertised menu, but when we arrived the menu was not the same and the free-flowing Bellinins or Bloody Mary for 10$ extra, was not available but you could buy ONE glass for 10$. Disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SOLID RELIABLE RESTAURANTluvtodineDined on 11/8/2014Have been to China Grill many times and have never been disappointed by food. Especially like the skirt steak. Unfortunately on last visit, the service was not as good as usual. I would, however, go back in a heartbeatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Party of 6 last Sat nightMarcVIPDined on 11/8/2014Have been here a dozen times, and be sure to ask for Tom the server,he was Excellent in recommending to us what to order, the service was outstanding,and the food as usual was great,along with the beautiful atmospshere.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/8/2014We reserved for lunch and were pleasantly surprised to find a prix fixe brunch. It was different, very good and we had a leisurely meal and a lovely time.Special Features:
- karinakarinaDined on 11/7/2014Buena comida. Muy buen ambiente. El servicio estuvo de primera. Llegamos una hora antes de nuestra reserva ya que salimos del teatro antes de lo previsto y con gusto nos acomodaron enseguida. La camarera muy simpática. La comida buena y abundante.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TnsansanDined on 11/6/2014Food was wonderful and the wait staff was excellent. Had play tickets and was worried about time due to rain and cabs. No problem. Everything went smoothly.Special Features:
- Nice RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/5/2014The alcohol is a little pricey but the family style food Is goodSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014We enjoyed the atmosphere and the food was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second Time VisitorLookingLocalDined on 11/2/2014The food at China Grill is great. We ordered the tasting menu and it is very, very good. My only negative comment is that I twice asked the server to slow down the delivery of food. They were bringing food as we started the prior course. I finally send a dish back and it was rather annoying. I have no idea whey they were in such a rush early Sunday evening. Our waiter was very good, but the kitchen needs to time their dishes so that we can enjoy them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent contemporary Chinese foodBillp422Dined on 11/2/2014If you like excellent quality food in a high class restaurant for a special event go here. Friendly,attentive.and very clean😀Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodVincentVega55Dined on 10/25/2014My second time here, and once again everything was outstanding. Definitely too pricey to eat here on a regular basis but for a treat this food is truly great. Highly recommend lamb spare ribs and wasabi mashed potatoes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatLesm4Dined on 10/24/2014Very pricey, but an unusual blend of flavors. Waiters could have been more descriptive. Noise level makes it hard to converse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREATMellyDined on 10/21/2014My co worker and I went just because, we were very satisfied and have been telling other co workers to try it. We plan to visit again and again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We had the Confucius Chicken Salad, a tuna appetizer, and the Char Siu Cured Pork Belly as appetizers. As a main course, we chose the Drunken Chicken & Szechuan Beef with Wasabit Mashed Potatoes & the Avocado Fried Rice. The Chili Chocolate Souffle was our dessert of choice. The food was fine, the service was fine. It wasn't BAD by any means, but it wasn't spectacular either. I'm not sure I would make a return trip.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014I would have to say solidly mediocre. They brought all the food at one time and the fried spinach was really greasy.
- VichiVIPDined on 10/18/2014The emphasis was on theatre goers - which came out with the mediocre service and slow food delivery. From a food perspective - if you love authentic Asian, the fusion plates will be far from ideal. A very western take on the food, and too many sauces!!Special Features:
- Good food w/flairOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014One of our best meals in NYC. 3 teen girls w/me loved everything; and they can be picky:( Great location; friendly attentive waiter. We'll be back!!
- we love itOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 10/15/2014we love your duck salad, we came from spain a just for eat your great duck salad. I hope you soon open in Madrid Spain.Special Features:
- Interesting foodGiant1Dined on 10/14/2014I had a barbecued wild Salmon dish which was outstanding cooked the way I requested and terrific flavor.Special Features:
- VPOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/14/2014The food was excellent along with the service. I have not been here for many years and was surprised by the wonderful experience that I had. Highly recommend it!Special Features:
- magnificent cuisineJTsteakloverDined on 10/13/2014Sharing menu was the perfect choice for exploring new dishes for first time dining at China Grill. We were wined and dined by an outstanding service staff who took the time to answer our questions and fulfill our requests. Presentation was beyond my expectations...Creative and elegant. Yes, we requested window seating and that is where we dined. Planning another visit really soon! Thank you!Special Features:
- Seen better daysLindaVIPDined on 10/13/2014Wanted to introduce my daughter to China Grill since she just began working in the area. Used to love this trendy place with unusual Asian dishes. Perhaps it's me who's changed since I was last here 5-6 years ago, but While I found the food still somewhat tasty, it really felt like old news and more than a little gloppy and undersized. This made the prices, while always high, seem truly outrageous.
- What a great meal!AndyandAnnetteDined on 10/11/2014My husband and I both had the pre-fixed tasting menu, $55.00 a person it was fabulous. I enjoyed every course and the tasting was wonderful, they timed every dish perfectly. I highly recommed this! It really was the way to go.Special Features:
- Spinach is the StargramercygourmetDined on 10/9/2014Where has the crispy spinach been all my life? This modest vegetable became a star at China Grill and I would go back for it again & again. The leaves had the texture of a luxury potato chip without any slickness and melted on the tongue. Another standout was the shrimp with black noodles as well as the drunken chicken. Three out of five of us praised the lobster pancakes but the combination of flavors was too strong for me. The service was attentive and efficient, and the surroundings were elegant in a way that made lunch feel like an occasion. A fun place to feed with friends.Special Features:
- An old haunt still stacks upBeachwoodDined on 10/8/2014I returned to the China Grill after about 15 years with a party of eight getting together with old friends and new. It is still a great spot. The decor and ambiance was particularly noted by those less familiar with New York and the food still creates interest and positive comment among those more familiar with the scene. The service was excellent, helpful yet discrete. All round a great evening and I was glad to see that an old friend had survived the passage of time without a lot of change!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible serviceNYCfoodie123VIPDined on 10/8/2014Had been once before years ago and was fine. This time was absolutely awful. The service was non existent, I played waitress for my table, getting up to order drinks from the bar, getting the check from the hostess etc. I highly recommend avoiding this place at all costs.
- awsomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 10/7/2014A great duck salad, we came from spain only for coming here and eat your great duck salad. We always talk about this restaurants to our friends. Hope that soon you´ll open in Spain in Madrid. We are coming back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service was worse than badNotgoodDined on 10/7/2014First time in a very long time that i felt like I wanted to leave a restaurant because the service was so bad...and if it had not been a birthday celebration we would have leftSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SweetDee1Dined on 10/4/2014Great place for dinner and the waiters are friendly and knowledgeable with the menus. Excellent service and food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.