3340 Erie Avenue
Cincinnati, OH 45208Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thechinagourmet.com/
- Phone: 5138716612
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Chinese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Private Room
- Catering: Please contact a restaurant manager.
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties for up to 40 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Matthew Loomis 5138716612
- Entertainment: Live entertainment Fridays and Saturdays. Open until 1:00am on Fridays and Saturdays.
A word from China Gourmet
Thank you for considering the China Gourmet. We are a Zagat and Mobil Rated restaurant which offers custom made dishes as well as fresh seafood. Open since 1977 and still family owned.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
China Gourmet - Best Restaurants in Cincinnati ›
China Gourmet reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (23)special occasion (16)fit for foodies (14)romantic (13)notable wine list (6)good for groups (6)great for lunch (3)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- DisappointingTampopoVIPDined on 10/13/2014Had been over 20 years since my last visit and wish I kept just my memories. To start, potstickers were burnt black on the bottom. Most sauces were of the very sweet brown sauce variety. Hong siu tofu was awful with the overly sweet sauce. Moo shoo duck couldn't tell there was any duck, and same sweet sauce. Pan fried trout with ginger and scallions was good as were the spinach and bok choy, but how can you not have any Chinese broccoli in the restaurant? Clearly they are catering to an American palate and seem to be successful as it was crowded when we left. Also, felt like we were paying NYC prices for food court quality food.
- ForestHillsGenoDined on 10/11/2014Excellent food and great ambience. Normally we use it for more special occasions but it's been good no matter when we come. One of my favorite Chinese restaurants in the Hyde Park-Oakley area.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, outstanding foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/10/2014Great overall experience. Service was excellent, but the food took longer than expected. It was worth the wait. The best Asian cuisine in Cincinnati, hands down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding in every respect !!kydrewDined on 10/4/2014Dined here on Saturday night. Every detail was perfect. Table, service, food and ambiance. They also have a wonderfully inviting bar and fireplace. The good was fresh and delicious. Steak kew over pan fried noodles, deboned duck and china gourmet stir fry with Beef medallions. All 5 star dishes. The sautéed eggplant was out of this world. . Please note if you try this hidden gem restaurant which I highly recommend, park in back parking lot and enter restaurant from there. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Chinese restaurantNaplesannVIPDined on 9/22/2014Filet and lamb superb. Two orders of Szechuan beans perfect. Dana is a great server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best ChineseNaplesannVIPDined on 9/15/2014China gourmet is not the typical boring Chinese restaurant. They use superior ingredients to create tasty food with a Chinese flair. I enjoyed their lamb chops over spinach with a ginger sauce. It was wonderful. My husband always orders the placed trout with black bean sauce. He asks for the thicker sauce. We always have at least one order of Szechwan beans. We like to take them home so that's the reason for 2 orders sometimes. We eat here often when in Cincinnati.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant findFolkloarDined on 9/12/2014We went to China Gourmet to celebrate my wife's birthday. We have never been there before and thought we would try it. It was a good choice. Our host offered a few suggestions from the menu, that we tried. The food was excellent and the portions were just the right size. We enjoyed our visit.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014The food and service were excellent as always. The owner is very congenial and wants his customers to enjoy their experience and makes sure that happens.Special Features:
- Great food, exceptional serviceSearchingforgemsDined on 9/5/2014The food was outstanding. The service was exceptional. From the time we entered, throughout the meal and caring the whole time. Owner presence was clear and caring. They do it right and deserve great reviews and loyal clientele.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timekochDined on 8/29/2014Would recommend this to everybody, the staff and owner was awesome. The food was excellent with large portions. Great eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and service!BillVIPDined on 8/26/2014This is the place to go in Cincinnati for an excellent authentic Chinese meal with great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service above & beyond!acschrandDined on 8/23/2014Reasonable for a "fancy" night out with a high level of service. Felt like the ambiance was a bit loud & we were stuck in a dark corner. However, worth it for the food & service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LFHcincyVIPDined on 8/5/2014If you are an adventurous person, willing to try almost anything new, and want a great experience, don't look at the menu. Just ask "What do you recommend?", provide any information on food preferences and/or intolerances, then prepare for a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Cinese foodNaplesannVIPDined on 8/2/2014Been going here for years and are never disappointed. Love the trout in black bean sauce, Tenley's shrimp, and moo shoo duck. They use the best ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful visit!MshellmixDined on 8/1/2014The waiter and wait staff were very attentive. I really liked the reservation system. It allowed me to notify the restuarant ahead of time to my shellfish allergy and I was impressed how they made sure that I was taken care of. Love how they plate the food at table. Really good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuesday Nights Lobster Special !TablemateDined on 7/15/2014Everything we've had there has been great, but the biggest treat is that Tuesday nights they feature a lobster special - low priced (abt $18 to $22 depending on their cost) and you get a whole lobster done any of 3 ways and either in, or out, of the shell. It's best to make an advance reservation (like here on Open Table) and indicate if you want a lobster reserved for yourself (and others). Then at the restaraunt you tell your sever which way you would like it prepared. They are very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nonoVIPDined on 7/12/2014This is not your typical Chinese restaurant with offerings too numerous to count. They take great pride in limiting their menu to exceptionally good dishes, emphasizing fresh seasonal ingredients. Their crispy duck and pan sauteed fresh walleye pike in ginger-scallion sauce are not to be missed. Service is attentive but not intrusive. Their wine list is well selected and appropriate for their food. A real jewel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeBillVIPDined on 7/8/2014This restaurant is our favorite for Chinese in Cincinnati!Special Features:
- The following 182 reviews are from the China Gourmet reviews archive.
- Always love this place!JanInCincinnatiDined on 6/21/2014Soft shell crab is in season - we had it in black bean sauce, and it was great as always. Also had the chicken walnut which is a favorite of ours. Special appetizers tonight: PEI mussels in a lightly spicy sauce and sake shrimp. This continues to be our favorite spot in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!JanInCincinnatiDined on 5/24/2014As always, our meal was wonderful - dem sem, quail lettuce wraps, and shrimp in lobster sauce. Tenley and his staff never disappoint, and I can always wholeheartedly recommend the China Gourmet.Special Features:
- Always enjoy itDissatisfiedDined on 5/16/2014Food was excellent as it always is. Glad the China Gourmet continues its flavorful quality.Special Features:
- Let's go againRonzoDined on 5/14/2014We have been looking for a Chineese Restaurant without a buffet - where what you request is cooked-to-order and we found it. We will return soon and often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect evening!GBIIIDined on 5/3/2014Service and food where excellent! Not rushed before, or after dinner.Special Features:
- Great local restaurantBeckyDined on 4/5/2014The food was excellent. Large choice of menu items. Excellent quality of food. Service very good. Had not dined here in a long time. Will be back soon!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and professionalLuckyVIPDined on 3/29/2014Great food and professional service in an upscale yet comfortable atmosphere. Uniquely prepared dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the best everBillDined on 3/29/2014Mr Moy knows how to run a restaurant. Top notch food and presentation. 23 years I have frequented CG and still as good as visit one. Lobster and black bean sauce is excellent. Hand made Dem Sum will blow you away. Make this a regular place and you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service, poor foodoakleyfoodieDined on 3/28/2014This takes the cake for the worst chinese food I have ever eaten. We ordered the bbq shrimp as an appetizer, and it was very mushy, and too much sauce. At first bite, it tasted just like a mcdonald's chicken nugget with their bbq sauce. Really? Chinese. Not by a mile. Second course was short rib wok and szechuan chicken. Szechuan chicken was dry, and the sauce was not remotely close to anything szechuan we have ever eaten. Bland and pathetic..The best part our meal were the water chestnuts. They were crunchy and flavorless, just as they should be. Drinks were pretty good, service was good, atmosphere was okay. Overall, I would say panda express serves better chinese than this place. What does that tell you?Special Features:
- Best Cincinnati Chinese FoodTablemateDined on 3/28/2014We like to eat at the China Gourmet about 1/month. Usually we go on Tuesday (Lobster Specials) night, but this time another couple wanted to eat Chinese and had not been to the C.G. We were a little delayed in getting there due to traffic problems and the Owner was most gracious in showing them around the restaurant and seating them. Later, when we were all ready to order, he took care to explain how they freshly prepare all their items and that they can make whatever adjustments a customer might desire. We have another friend who is gluten intolerant and has been there with us and they have dishes that they can prepare to accommodate his needs. And everything we've had there has been excellent. They also have a full bar, wine & beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chinese GourmetJumperVIPDined on 3/14/2014China gourmet is not your usual Chinese restaurant . It is very unique. If you have not tried it, you should come in and let the staff order for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our group of 8 had excellentSpartanDined on 3/13/2014Our group of 8 had excellent service and great food!Special Features:
- Great Chinese with superior serviceGodfatherDined on 3/12/2014I used to visit China Gourmet back in the 90's when Bing Moy ran the restaurant. It was always a superior experience. I had a chance to visit again this week, and I I'm glad to find that the food and service are still outstanding. China Gourmet has a broad menu of authentic Chinese fare (viewable on their website), but the attribute which truly distinguishes this restaurant is the service. Our waiter, Matthew, was extremely knowledgeable and helpful in walking us through the menu and making "off-menu" suggestions, Our party of five all chose different entrees, and all five were outstanding. I highly recommend China Gourmet, now operated by Bing's son Tenley, and a very good staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Design you dinner3mondayVIPDined on 3/8/2014My next dinner will be bacon wrapped scallops. It is an appetizer, but they will make you a dinner size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food for thoughtJaneFDined on 3/1/2014I had a wonderful experience from the service to the food. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great variety of dellcious dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/20/2014Our group of 7 enjoyed a array of tasty dishes. We asked for a quiet table and our request was honored. Wait staff was excellent. China Gourmet lived up to its fine reputation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent choiceCRS14Dined on 2/15/2014Owner/manager goes out of his way to make his guests feel welcome, and to provide a personalized touch. The food was excellent. My spouse ordered a beef dish, and said the meat was the most tender he could remember eating in a restaurant. I had a mix of Thai chicken and shrimp, thanks to the owner's off-the-menu personalization. It was excellent.Special Features:
- Great Find!JAR122002Dined on 2/14/2014Didn't know what to expected when I showed up. Nice environment, Staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. We asked for recommendation and we went with their picks, and very happy we did. We will be back.Special Features:
- LOVE China Gourmet- Hidden GemMrsKRPDined on 2/13/2014China Gourmet is our favorite restaurant in Cincinnati! My husband and I have been going there for the last 15+ years and it is always a great dining experience. I love to go for birthdays, anniversaries, important business dinners, or just a last minute dinner because "It's Tuesday". We have always gotten 5 star food, service, and ambiance. The owner and his staff should be commended for their attention to detail, and excellent service. You can order "off-menu" and they will happily create dishes for you. Their egg rolls and fried rice are the best in town, and really, the best I've ever eaten anywhere. Family-owned and operated. A hidden gem in Hyde Park on Erie with free and convenient parking. LOVE CHINA GOURMET!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food very blandOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/8/2014We have gone to China Gourmet several times and this time the food had very little taste. We overheard the couple behind us complain about the lack of taste also.
- Always consistent high quality.dinersaurusDined on 2/8/2014Always consistent high quality. Great food and wide selection. Friendly, happy staff which is reflected in fine service and really nice meals. If you have eaten at China Gourmet you are aware of this; and if you have not eaten there I can recommend reservations without any reservations :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatAnthonyDined on 2/1/2014I always feel that I am very special when I dine at this wonderful restaurant. I was dining here before the remodel, and it just got better over the years. Wonderful and thoughtful owners.Special Features: