547 N Milwaukee Ave
Libertyville, IL 60048Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chili-u.com/
- Phone: 8475493152x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday: 11:00am - 12:00am
Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 11:00am -11:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am - 8:00pm
Bar is open late!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, International
- Executive Chef: Marc Bianchini
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from Chili U
A taste of the world’s most unique flavors and spices has arrived to Libertyville. Here, you’ll always find the modern comfort food you’re craving. But not in the average, ordinary way. Instead, we want you to explore taste, be flavorfully adventurous. While other restaurants have “a chili” on the menu, we have a long list–from deliciously basic to taste-temptingly exotic. On the occasion you feel like something beyond the bowl, we have a full menu of uniquely delicious dishes destined to become your new favorites. Stop in for dinner, have a drink at our bar and lounge. Our goal is to satisfy every one of your senses. And add a little extra spice into your life.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Chili U - Best Restaurants in Libertyville ›
Chili U reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (25)kid-friendly (16)great for outdoor dining (15)good for groups (14)great for lunch (14)vibrant bar scene (14)fit for foodies (12)hot spot (9)great for brunch (4)late-night find (4)special occasion (2)scenic view (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great Casual PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014Very casual and maybe a little too noisey but the food is good, the service was also very good and the ambiance is enjoyable in a casual and friendly way.
- Great food, a little too loud...AnnaMarieDined on 9/12/2014My boyfriend and I just moved into town and heard great things about this restaurant. We took my parents and brother here on Friday night for dinner. Our server was great and the food was wonderful. The only downfall was that the kitchen is open to the dining room and we were seated right in front of the line. It was noisy with all of the plates and silverware being knocked around. It was hard to have a nice conversation. Next time we come I will have to request to be sat away from the kitchen. I heard the area up front by the bar is really nice!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceLauraBVIPDined on 9/7/2014Great food. Great service. Great outdoor space. Great prices. Even though it's far (about 30 minutes), we'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Will Be Back!IagoDined on 8/16/2014Great ambiance and outstanding waitstaff. We will definitely be going back. Thanks for a pleasant evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chili U reviewLoveAgoodRestaurantDined on 8/15/2014Horribly understaffed and unorganized, food took forever and was very overpriced. For my wife and I with an appetizer, two entrees, a drink a piece (no dessert) it was just over $60 (excluding tip). Ambiance is nice both inside and outside seating. Menu sounds good, but food was disappointing unfortunately. I won't be going back.
- Pleasantly SuprisedDogger2270VIPDined on 8/8/2014We both enjoyed the chili. My wife had traditional chili mac while I had African Chicken chili. I really like the chicken chili. Flavors were complex and fun. Chicken was prepared very well. Menu has a lot more than chili which is nice. We plan to go back with family and friends. Bar looked like it was hopping and the outdoor area was small but nice. Hope the do seasonal menu adds or changes. Beer selection was very nice as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun with Chilimkc918VIPDined on 7/31/2014Really enjoyed all of the options. Food was great, even enjoyed it as leftovers. Service could have been a bit more attentive, but overall I'd definitely recommend to friends and return.Special Features:
- Very enjoyableIrishBiddyDined on 7/18/2014I had not been back to Libertyville in over a decade so imagine my surprise to see Milwaukee Ave thru town. Wonderful - had a great time. Service is very attentive but not overly so. Food was good -- I tried the chili as it was the house specialty and it was fine. I think I need to try it again to see if consistent. I was not OVERWHELMED with my choices but conversely I would not rave about them either. Good package though of summer outdoor dining + good food + good service. Of course I had great company so the evening was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Homemade ChiliChiliUfanDined on 6/25/2014We went there for lunch and it was way different then I thought it would be. The service was great and timely. The twice baked potato was amazing. Both my husband and I had a chili meal and we loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not just for Chili!foodfinderDined on 6/15/2014We went to Chili U for brunch on Father's Day. Mimosas only $1! We got the daily quiche, which was a generous portion and definitely made with farm fresh eggs. Our 1 year old LOVED it too. My husband got the Angus burger (a whole half pound) and raved about it. I ordered the Shrimp Po'Boy, which as a former New Englander, definitely fit the bill and hit the spot! On a New England roll and seasoned perfectly. Can't wait to have it again. Can't wait to also try the Chili this winter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyable timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014Great concept to biuld your own chili. also seemed to have alot of other great items on the menu that we will have to try next visit. Very pleasnt evening.Special Features:
- Updated presentation/comfort foodJudgemugDined on 6/6/2014Opentable enabled us to avoid a wait and there was a line to get in for our whole stay. Upbeat team presents a flex able variety of modern spins on good comfort foods. Parking can be tricky as many other area restaurants also draw in diners. Fun to people watch out windows. Outdoor patio area was popular but did see sun angles causing squinting near sunset. Skip deserts, focus on the main dishes and pair with a good variety of drinks. Glad they had rootbeer for the kids. Nice area to walk around as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 71 reviews are from the Chili U reviews archive.
- Comfort with a kickBonnieDined on 5/10/2014Chili done any way you like it. I had th Thai - awesome. We also got the vegetarian and it was great. The lobster Mac was also scarfed up. Service was prompt and knowledgable about the menu. Made great suggestions on portion sizes and cocktail list. There's enough ambient noise to bring kids. Lots of hightop tables, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceCML11Dined on 5/6/2014Chili U has always been a great place to eat but what really stands out to me is the great service. The manager is always walking around, making sure everyone is happy. The staff is so friendly and accommodating and I've never really had a bad experience there!Special Features:
- Not Just ChilianonDined on 5/3/2014a nice addition to the area. Plenty of chili choices, but the burgers were great, the fish tacos were tasty, and the sweet potato tater tots are not to be missed. Pretty noisy up front near the bar. Some nice craft brew choices on the menu too.Special Features:
- More than chiliYnoteatoutDined on 5/2/2014No one at our table even ordered chili because we love their burgers. Great food, fun waiter and nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slightly DisappointingLFcoupleVIPDined on 4/12/2014We love the menu, but the food was off the mark this time. I had a make-your-own chili with the ground turkey base and hash browns, and it was only fair. My wife had a chopped salad, but the dressing and chicken chunks had absolutely no flavor. Our waiter was very personable, and their beer and wine selection was good.Special Features:
- Comfort foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/5/2014I enjoyed this restaurant. The restaurant had a casual vibe with a wide menu. Appetizers were solid. The lobster mac n' cheese was delicious. Everyone enjoyed their chili. You can make your own dish: pick a chilli style (I chose mid west style), pick a base (I chose mashed potatoes), pick your toppings (I opted for cheese and sour cream). One of us had their thai shrimp chili. If you like spice this one is for you. One negative is that they sat us in the room off the bar area. This made it VERY noisy. If you go and want to be able to hear your table conversation be sure to sit in the dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chili U- beyond chili!spicegoddess7Dined on 3/30/2014We went to Chili U for the first time and had a totally enjoyable evening. The restaurant atmosphere was unique and had a great eclectic vibe. Food choices were fun and we tried different appetizers (loved the fried pickles!)- both very good and shared a korean salad with a build your own chili. Love the concept here of comfort foods but nothing so heavy- really enjoyed that it was the type of place you could have a conversation with friends without screaming. Of course, it was a Sunday evening...but we will definitely be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chili and moreJanetDined on 3/23/2014We went on Sunday during March madness, busy but not packed. We sat at the bar and ordered 3 different kinds of chili, they will customize your chili for you. Loved it. Others were having the brunch specials which looked good. Will try those next time.Special Features:
- Nothing really specialChitownRikVIPDined on 3/9/2014My family got together for brunch on Sunday and this was my first time to Chili U. They were out of two of the 4 chili bases, so I tried the apps Fried Pickles and Waffle Fry Poutine. Nothing special. The fried pickles were "fried" and had no real taste other than that. The waffle fry poutine was rather gross with the "gravy" being congealed and jelly-like, not the beefy brown gravy you would normally get. The cheese was white and possibly a liquid, not curds. I also ordered the sliders consisting of a chili beef, a pulled pork and a kobe beef. The kobe beef was very tasty without adding any toppings, very good. The others not so. The staff was great. I might try Chili U again, but probably not, I don't think anything there would wow me.
- GreetingDustyDined on 3/3/2014I was greeted within a couple of minutes. It was my first time there. A staff member came up and explained to me about menus, putting orders in, etc. He walked me through everything so that was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visited for first time onTonyDDined on 2/22/2014Visited for first time on a Saturday night. My wife and adult son enjoyed their meals very much They had the special Cincinnati Chili and the Almost Texan. My Midwestern Chili was warm at best. Will try it again.
- Enjoyed our meal, atmosphere.EnjoyedDined on 2/19/2014We all (3) chose different appetizers and menu items. Everything was great. The selection offers something for everyone. Plenty of Gluten free too. IT was nice to be able to take our time at the table (in back, not at the bar which is in front) , share a good bottle of wine -- AND HEAR one another talk. THe tables are spaced well. Not crowded. Service is not fast, but is good. All 3 of us look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food!!!MG63VIPDined on 2/15/2014The name Chili U is a misnomer- yes they have traditional chilis but so much more!! I had the BELT sandwich-delicious!!! They are more of a gastropub type place with great eclectic food selections Stop by if you are in Libertyville!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good stuffEasyDinerDined on 2/14/2014Took my wife out for dinner, and we were pleased. The selection was good and the waiter was attentive. The atmosphere was nice. It really is a different take on chili.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent place for Ordinary foodKixsombutVIPDined on 1/31/2014The food isn't anything special even though the description sounds really imaginative. Food came out slightly cold. Poutine was different. Melted cheese chunks over fries with a weird tomato cream sauce, not gravy. Turkey chilli was good, nice and hearty. African chicken was angel hair pasta in Thai peanut sweet sauce. I would not recommend this, sweet tasting dinner entrée.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot chili on a cold dayJanetDined on 1/26/2014The chili was really good as was the meatball appetizer we had and we loved the rumchata smootie!! the mimosa was not good but hey it was $1 so..... it was quiet on a sunday afternoon when we went.Special Features:
- We'll be backOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/17/2014It was hard to choose something off of the menu because everything sounded so good. Neither my wife or I got the chili and we were both very happy with our meals. Can't wait to go back and sample their namesake.Special Features:
- Fun night with friendsJenGDined on 1/11/2014Chili U has an interesting take on chili. I've been three times and gotten totally different dishes. Each one excellent and unique. This visit out server was less than knowledgable about the cocktails on the menu and the Moscow mule was mediocre. Hockey and football on the TVs, so it got a little noisy in there, but we had a nice time. Service was on the slow side, but it was a busy time. Overall, I had a good experience there. If conversation and speed are important to you, consider going off peak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AccommodatingDonnaDined on 1/11/2014Not only good food, service but friendly and accommodating. Would recommend this place to everyone I know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedBorisDined on 12/13/2013This was a recommendation by good friends. Great concept: pick your foundation and top it off with your favorite chili and great toppings. Great service. Bar tenders mix strong drinks. So highly recommended.Special Features:
- expected more from a chili placeChililoverDined on 11/10/2013Chili was very mild....had midwestern chili, with jalepenos to try and spice it up. Another person had spicy chicken sandwich and chicken was extremely mild. Another person had chili with a fried egg on it and the egg was over cooked...although they did bring him another one...which was cooked in a microwave. Expected made to order eggs...spicier food....disappointed. Doubt I will be able to convince the group to go back again - there were 4 of us and 3 of us did not especially like the food. Too bad because I was hoping this would be a hit...first and last visit to this restaurant.
- ChiliGrapesVIPDined on 11/9/2013Overall I like this place but the steak in my husbands chili was dissapointing as it was tough.Special Features:
- Chili U-nique!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2013Great concept for a restaurant- create your own chili concoction! The menu is diverse and has something for everyone. It is refreshing to find a restaurant that is not afraid to serve flavorful food. Remember- when in Rome! Some friends ordered salads and were not thrilled with their meals. If you want a salad, go to a salad bar. The wait staff was friendly and we were made to feel welcome. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this little neighborhood gem!JesseDined on 10/23/2013This place was super casual, had a great atmosphere, and had a unique menu. I loved it and will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Poor Service Again!mydineoutVIPDined on 10/13/2013This was the second time i visited Chili U. The service was not great last time, but this time the service was virtually nonexistent. We sat ourselves as the sign at the front door indicated. Several minutes later, we were provided water. However, the two servers visible never even acknowledged us. After approximately 20 minutes, we left and went across the street to eat. I will not go back to Chili U.
- Great spotScubagirlDined on 10/5/2013Delicious food that was fun to order and eat. Vegetarians have great options too. Our server was knowledgable and efficient. The decor is modern and adds to the cool vibe. Management is present and helps make this spot run so smoothly. I am looking forward to my next trip to ChiliU.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChiliOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2013Build your own Chili. Several different kinds to choice from. Pick your base, then your chili type and then your toppings!!!!Special Features:
- Chili your wayJessDined on 9/19/2013Really great atmosphere and decorating. The food selection is creative and delicious. High quality ingredients across the selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.