Chilapan Mexican Restaurant - Armitage
2466 W Armitage Ave
Chicago, IL 60647Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Chilapan Mexican Restaurant - Armitage
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chilapan.com/
- Phone: 7737099929x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Jorge Miranda
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Delivery, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout
A word from Chilapan Mexican Restaurant - Armitage
Specializing in authentic refined-rustic Mexican cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chilapan Mexican Restaurant - Armitage reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (6)fit for foodies (3)good for groups (2)special occasion (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great Find (if you can find it)JulieVIPDined on 7/17/2014Chilapan has great food, attentive service and a fun atmosphere. The only issue for some is the noise from the El if you're dining outside, but it just makes the dining experience more unique as you adapt to talk in 5-7 minute bursts between the trains and then quietly enjoy your meal until the noise passes. Signage is another non-food issue. Just believe that the restaurant is at the location provided by OpenTable whether there's a sign up or not.Special Features:
- Authentic Mexican Restauranteasygoer72VIPDined on 6/14/2014This is one of my favorite Mexican's restaurants in the entire city. It's very authentic and always consistent. All of the sauces are very flavorful and tasty. P.S. It's a BYO restaurant.Special Features:
- Keep coming backchiDineDined on 6/6/2014Chilapan is and remains one of my neighborhood favorites in Bucktown. Great food, great service, great price. While their new location is bigger than the old one, it's still a fairly boisterous atmosphere -- the noise level is fine, but not recommended for an intimate occasion.Special Features:
- The following 121 reviews are from the Chilapan Mexican Restaurant - Armitage reviews archive.
- Great Food BYOB a PluscheezynonkVIPDined on 5/9/2014The food was all excellent between the 4 of us, and the byob is a nice touch as well. They do need ot put in some AC or fans for hot days, but the food quality easily made that a secondary issueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happenedShhhhDined on 5/2/2014This use to be such good food. The signature dish the volcano use to come to the table overflowing in green cactus and a melody of vegetables and meat. Now a sorry bowl of meat sitting low in melted cheese. What happened? The food use to be unique. The guacamole was plain and the fish was fishy smelling. What happened? They use to gladly take our tequila and mix margaritas for us. This time they just have us a pitchure if ice. What happened? The waiter slipped my friend his number. We were on a double date with our "girl" friends! Lol Know wonder the place was empty on a Friday night at 8:30. What happened?!
- Chilapan Keeps Moving Up!wwldVIPDined on 4/26/2014Chilapan has moved across the street from its former noisy and small one room dining. Now it is bright, cheerful, colorful, and still delicious. As always, the servers are knowledgeable about the menu and very attentive and friendly. Food is still delicious and unique as always. Fresh made for every meal! We will go back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicioso!HelnwheelsDined on 4/26/2014I always enjoy dining at Chilapan, but even more so now that they have moved to a larger space across the street (easier to get reservations or drop in). The food is great, the BYOB policy helps you eat well on a budget, and Olga is so warm and welcoming. She always remembers us! Will always return, especially for the chocolate tamal! Yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love itmeganDined on 4/25/2014Great BYOB and even better food. It is our go to place. The food is delicious and the service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything but the GirlChicagoFoodLoverDined on 4/24/2014Food was fantastic, but the buslady kept on giving us dirty looks and telling us to move our seats. Maybe she owns the place? In any case she needs an attitude adjustment.Special Features:
- Great BYOB with fabulous food!TimKimDined on 4/18/2014We had a great experience at Chilapan! The staff are very friendly and the service was perfect! The food outstanding - we asked our server to pick his favorites. The taquitos were probably the highlight but the queso fondido was the best I ever had! We had the steak "volcano" which was outstanding! The Mexican "lasagna" with mole was really good too! Fun atmosphere and BYOB!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time here. Great littlejjjjDined on 4/5/20142nd time here. Great little find. Great food and BYO. Only complaint was that my dish was just too salty. Excellent guac and chips. The chocolate tamal for dessert was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous unique menu !!!DanielDined on 4/4/2014Colorful casual atmosphere, great friendly staff, awesome non-typical upscale Mexican fare, and BYOBSpecial Features:
- Neighborhood jewelmoochdogDined on 3/28/2014This small, family run Mexican restaurant is BYOB with very reasonably priced, excellent food. Not Mexican like the usual tex-mex, but creative use of Mexican ingredients presented in original dishes that one would expect in Mexico City. Everything from empanadas to house made guacamole is very fresh with top quality ingredients. Puerco bomb had tasty, tender and juicy center cut pork and unusually good cilantro roasted potatoes. We also had bud in azteca which I would call a Mexican take on lasagna. Two layers of chicken and cheese surrounded by corn tortilla was far better than the simple ingredients sound.Special Features:
- Great food with friendly serviceYogagirlDined on 3/20/2014Chilapan is a small, unassuming restaurant that had been recommended to me. I took several friends, and we were all delighted with the many appetizers and several entrees that we shared. The guacamole was seriously the best I've ever had, the warm cheese appetizer was outrageous, the masa cakes with shredded chicken, all great. There are a range of fish entrees, such as tilapia enchiladas (the special the night that I was there). We shared a dessert, a really interesting twist on flan. Lovely, served with spiced Mexican coffee. Yum! The BYOB helped keep the prices reasonable, so about $25 per person. There was also an option in which they provided the base for margaritas if you brought the tequila! Very recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- decent food but uncomfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/8/2014The food was tasty but the ambience ruined the experience. It was cold and so loud we couldn't engage in converstation at all. We all just wanted to hurry up and finish our meal to go home. If they improved the acoustics and turned up the heat, I would consider returning.Special Features:
- very happylauraDined on 3/1/2014went out with 6 friends and had a very enjoyable meal. we brought tequila and had fresh margarita mix brought to us. Very good. Food was yummy. the only negative thing I can say is that the ventilation system needs a bit of work because it got a little smokey in there when a dish was prepared.Special Features:
- Good FoodSiddDined on 2/22/2014Went with a party of 6 and it was just as expected, good food, different type of Mexican cooking. Not the standard typical food. Although a bit pricey for the atmosphere and amount of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feb 2014geegonDined on 2/15/2014Group of 6. Appetizers and dessert all great. Entrees were mixed. Two had the enchiladas and both said they were not very flavorful. I had the Chicken Oaxaca and thought it was wonderful. One had the pork shoulder and was not overly impressed and two ahd the steak and thought is was just OK. Except for the chicken, most thought that the restaurant compromised a bit betwween what the authentic cusiine really is all about and what they thought their customers would like. Suggest no compromises! They need a second door in the front in the winter as every time someone came or went we froze. I think this would be a great summer spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food but with other issues....OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/15/2014normally Mexican restaurants make you think of chips and salsa. here those things cost! yes you pay for the salsa...no kidding. the food was really very good and a bit different. the service was excellent. we were sitting close to the door and asked to move, and we were accommodated. this is a byob place as I a m allergic to beans I asked if I could have rice instead. when the entrees arrives there were beans. more than half way through the entrée...rice arrived. then I was charged 2.50 for a very small portion of rice. this was taken off the bill...come on, REALLY! other have mentioned the "rules" on the back of the menu. to me this ridiculous for a change, it was a good meal... I still like wholly frijoles (in Lincolnwood) much better!!!
- New digs but same inspired menuPatrickDined on 2/15/2014Walking by this restaurant in the shadow of a railroad underpass just west of Western and Armitage, one might get the impression that it's just another Mexican place on the Westside. Nothing could be further from the truth: Chilapan is a funky little place with a gourmet menu prepared by Chef Jorge Miranda with the kind of mastery and agility that will wow even the most jaded foodie. We'd recommend starting with the grilled avocado stuffed with crab meat and served with house made tortilla chips dotted with a little cilantro paste that leave a roundness of taste that will make you want to order a second serving, but don't:Tthe entrees are even more thrilling. Why this restaurant isn't in Zagat's (and the Loop), I don't understand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Higher end MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014With so much great Mexican food in the area, it can be a little hard to pay more. However, everything was $20 and under and worth the price. Plus, the BYO evens that out. Our waiter was very nice but there seemed to be some cultural disconnect. When another reservation showed up he told us we had to go. Granted, we sat for awhile, but we had ordered three courses and it probably could have been worded a little better. He wasn't rude, but just didn't seem to realize it's not appropriate to ask your table that just spent $150 to kindly shove off. Regardless, I'd still go back another time to give the chance of improvement there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was great, but thelatenighteaterVIPDined on 2/8/2014The food was great, but the service and ambiance ruined it all.
- BYO Birthday SuccessChrisFromLoganDined on 2/8/2014We made reservations for 7 people and found the staff to be incredibly attentive. Everyone raved about the shared appetizers and their own individual meals (top marks for the crab stuffed salmon and the skirt steak wrapped around sauteed spinach). The restaurant added to our joyous occasion. Thanks Chilipan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorites!!!kpycsyDined on 2/8/2014Chilapan never disappoints! We've been coming here 3 months after they first opened and have never been disappointed by the fabulous food and welcoming and great service. The guacamole is the best ever and the chips are amazing. Start there!! Our favorites are Pechuga Poblana a pan seared chicken breast filled with spinach served over homemade creamy poblano salsa, YUMMM. My husband's favorite is Carne Yucatecan * WOW. If your lucky enough to come on a night when they serve their ribs you will be ecstatic!!!!!! It's also perfect for groups!!! Olga always makes you feel welcome and always remembers to serve us some of their fabulous Mexican coffee!!! We will be back. PLUS BYOB!!!!! You can't beat it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnermkayDined on 1/23/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday. The restaurant was very accommodating to our party of 7, everyone loved their dishes and the service was warm and friendly. Our server brought my boyfriend a chocolate with a birthday candle in it...nice ending to a great dinner. Looking forward to coming back!Special Features:
- New locationElMarDined on 1/17/2014The food was great, not your typical Mexican fare. A little pricey, but portions were quite large. Inventive sauces play a role in most dishes. BYOB. Service was a bit slow, and unfortunately there was a smoky haze in the air. Like the exhaust fans in the kitchen were either inadequate or not working. I assume this is due to working out kinks in a new, much larger location. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- DisappointingTommDined on 1/17/2014Overpriced $18 - $19 entrees should have been priced at $8 - $10. Volcano entree was a small amount of food in a large vessel. Pork shoulder was good, but average. Again, overpriced compared to other good Logan Mexican restaurants.
- Unique Mexican Cuisine, plus BYOBJP1234Dined on 1/17/2014Some of the best and most unique Mexican food in Chicago. Is it Frontera ? No. And the location is not mainstream. But the food is exceptional, with a number of unique ingredients that we have not seen before. Kind of a funky atmosphere. You can bring your own tequila, and they will make margaritas for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Entrees were stellar!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/15/2014I had a great date night here with my boyfriend. He had the steak and I had the salmon, both of which were delicious. I was underwhelmed by the guacamole (thought the portion size was small) and the chocolate tamale, but the flan was superb. It was a quiet night and we had wonderful service, which was attentive but not overbearing. I did not get the server's name, but he was great. It was a cute restaurant and I would definitely recommend it to diners who want to try elevated Mexican cuisine, and have the income to do so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chilapan de mi corazon!CrankyMannyDined on 1/13/2014Great restaurant, the service was great, the food was outstanding. Im not sure why the bad reviews, but working in a restaurant myself I know how petty and obnoxiously picky certain diners can be, Im guessing those are the ones who leave the bad reviews. We had the Chile Con Queso and Taquitos de Cochinita as appetizers, the Pollo Oaxaca and Enchiladas Divorciadas as our entrees and the Empanada de Pina and Chocoflan as desserts, and everything was delicious! I would not mind dining at this place every single day of the year! For those who think the food is expensive, clearly you do not know the difference between a Taqueria and a Mexican Restaurant. This is NOT Taqueria food. The food here is NOT mediocre and is worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mexican & BYOB is a good matchKozEatsDined on 1/12/2014New location needs a little updating but the food is solid good. BYOB is a plus, the steak entrees are the best. Save room for the chocolate tamela at the end of the meal....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/3/2014Food was excellent, as was service & you can't beat the BYOB margarita pitchers.Special Features:
- wonderful foodYajayDined on 12/19/2013Been here twice, have yet to.get anything less than very good. Special shrimp mole excellent. And as always, choc masa dessert a delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I LOVED this little gem. ItLauraDined on 11/22/2013I LOVED this little gem. It is a fantastic BYOB mexican restaurant with a lot of character. the food was amazing and I will for sure be going back.Special Features:
- yum and yummyYajayDined on 11/10/2013Great time here with the woman. Was a sunday night and surprisingly quite empty, just three tables in our time there. Overall, nice ambiance despite quiet. Food was fabulous, didn't get appetizers but thoroughly liked the volcano dish and steak (rollito). Volcano especially with its delightful combination of meats and rice, yum. Dessert was AMAZING Tamal de chocolate (first one on the list) the chocolate flavored masa filled tamal, AMAZING.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent sauces and flavorsErica56VIPDined on 11/9/2013We live in Lincoln Park and were delighted to discover Chilapan. Every bite of our dishes was outstanding. We began with the scallop escabeche and wanted to drink the remaining juice after we had eaten all the solid pieces. Then I orders the shrimp with pistachio sauce and my husband got the steak rollito. When our plates were cleared there was not a trace of food left because we used everything we could to mop up the sauce. The service was extremely friendly and prompt too on a busy Saturday night. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect spot for a ladies night outAKLavkoVIPDined on 11/7/2013Chilapan is an intimate spot, but the owners were very accommodating to a group of 8. Entrees run about $20, not cheap, but Chilapan is BYO, so the total bill is reasonable. The food is refined but not fussy. I really enjoyed my meal, and everyone in the rest of my group did, too. Get the flan (you won't be disappointed).Special Features:
- lovely little BYOB......OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/6/2013tables were so close we got to know those sitting near us which was actually quite nice. Noise level made it hard to chat with others at our table which was for 12 of us so some were further away than the tables next to us. Food was excellent, service was good and very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They were obviously shortrmlIIDined on 10/25/2013They were obviously short handed the night we went. The food was good, but everything was very slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!RAREDined on 10/5/2013This is my second time at Chilapan, although its been about a year. The food was as delicious as I remembered. It's a small place so be sure to make your reservation. My only complaint this visit was it took a long time for them to come back to our table when we were finished with our main course. I would definitely recommend this little BYOB find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.