Chicago Chop House
60 W Ontario St
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
SteakPrice: $50 and over
Chicago Chop House
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.chicagochophouse.com/
- Phone: (312) 787-7100
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm -10:30pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Bruce Berrtrand & Hector Villegas
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The third floor of our Victorian brownstone restaurant houses private dining rooms rarely seen in modern restaurants. Each room is completely its own space; no portable dividers or curtains here, just full rooms bearing the same decorative touches found throughout our dining rooms. Our private dining spaces can also host parties as small as 10 diners, and as large as 80 guests. They can also be arranged to fit projector screens or boards, making them ideal for business meetings and company functions. Best of all, parties who dine at The Chicago Chop House have the option to order from our full restaurant menu, freeing them from the confines of restrictive “party menus” or mass-production meals. For more information, or to book a private party with us, please call the restaurant directly or email us at Reservations@ChicagoChopHouse.com.
- Private Party Contact: Jean 3127877100
- Entertainment: Piano played nightly Monday-Friday 5pm-close & Saturday and Sunday 6pm-close.
A word from Chicago Chop House
Historic Chicago dining is more than just a theme at The Chicago Chop House; it’s a way of life. Stepping into the restaurant’s immaculately restored; century-old Victorian brownstone building brings diners into the city’s past, when meat packers, politicians, & gangsters dined on steaks in luxurious rooms. More than 1,400 photos tell the tale of old Chicago throughout three dining rooms surrounded by hunter green walls & lit by glowing sconces. Our all USDA Prime menu of awe-inspiring 64-ounce porterhouses, 16- and 24-ounce New York strips, and 24-ounce prime ribs bathe the senses in prime-aged flavor. The Chicago Chop House is also one of the only restaurants in Chicagoland to serve Mishima cuts, a unique and succulent beef known for its delicate flavor & tenderness. Guests can pair their meals with a glass or bottle of wine from our international list that includes more than 650 selections.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chicago Chop House reviews from OpenTable diners
176 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (99)notable wine list (69)fit for foodies (56)romantic (45)good for groups (37)neighborhood gem (24)hot spot (13)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (7)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Quality doesn't justify priceOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/21/2014We ordered a bowl of lobster bisque, a salad, split a 10 oz wet aged filet and 5 oz lobster tail and split a dessert and bottle of Perrier champagne ($90) and our bill was $285 before tip. The 5 oz lobster tail add on was $39. We just felt the quality of the food didn't match the price. For that price point, there are several other superior steakhouse options; Chicago Cut, Benny's, Eddie V's, Del Friscos, Capital Grille, Michael Jordan's to name a few.
- Expecting MoreLisaMDined on 11/17/2014Overall dining experience was just ok, with a spectacular price. I was expecting more. I do like the "old chicago" feel of the restaurant though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good steak but had betterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2014Had the bone in rib eye and bone in filet. The rib eye was better in my opinion. Great steak but with similar price, I have had better at other steak houses in the area. Took the waiter a long time before giving us menus but other than that service was pretty good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Returning hereSTLnewbeeDined on 11/14/2014We developed a love for the Chop House years ago. The steaks are incredibly delicious, so we do always of either lamb chops or steak. I had the short bone ribeye and my husband the larger. These are good size steaks, bone-in with a crusty outside and perfect juicy inside. Mushroom spinach side dish delicious. Service great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience.JaimeandAlinaDined on 11/11/2014We had a great time et the Chop House. We came looking for the dry aged Tomahawk Steak and we found it outstanding. The Kobe beef Carpaccio was great also. Great wine list, great service. Everyone was great. Bryan our server was excellent, discussing with us the different steak alternatives. And, please excuse me for not recalling his name, the Piano Man was great. We will not forget when he played "Eres Tu". Hope to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special TreatSnacksDined on 11/9/2014Our waiter was awesome! He was very knowledgeable of the menu and wine list and made great recommendations. Be prepared to drop some $$$ but the evening was worth the expense. This was a true Chicago dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality of Food NEVER Disappoints!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/8/2014Chicago Chop House may not be the coolest steakhouse with the best ambiance in Chicago these days, but is is definitely the best, and that comes with a lot of competition where Chicago is known for its good steakhouses. The dry-aged filet was so tender you could eat it with a butter knife. All four of our steaks were tender and cooked to perfection. There were two servers making sure we had the very best service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food High PricesItsme520Dined on 11/8/2014The food was good and abundant but very pricey! Nice place to go for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going down hilleattomuchDined on 11/7/2014The quality of food and service has gone down over the years I've visited Chicago. The wine list is adequate but not great the prices are outrageous. A very heavy markup over store prices. Overall unless management wakes up and realizes they are living on past reputation I will be eating my steaks elsewhere when we visit Chicago.
- JudiDined on 11/6/2014Bone in steak was recommended by server but had very little flavor. Also, dessert was not homemade as was implied.
- Great SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014Excellent selection of meat, good ambience, nice place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chop House reviewBE0323Dined on 11/4/2014This restaurant is living on an old reputation not currently deserved. The noise level is impossible if you want to talk to anyone at your table. The tables are so close and that the waiters cannot get to the clients. The food is at best average with a couple of under average items. The pricing is well over priced for what you get. I had an NY Strip that at best was average except for the price, which was so over the top. The average dinner is going to cost you $80.00 to $100.00 each without wine or drinks or dessert. There are better steakhouses in Chicago for a better meal at a reasonable price. If you get a chance skip this one!
- Way too ExpensiveFlyerFranDined on 11/4/2014I think this was the most expensive restaurant I've ever eaten in. Food and service was great, but nothing is worth the prices charged. Upselling by the wait staff was also as aggressive as ever seen. Accepting/suggesting a bottle of white and a bottle of red wine for 6 people, one who was ordering by the glass and only one white wine drinker was over the top. We didn't use half of a $105 bottle of white wine.
- lost a stepdjc267Dined on 11/3/2014I used to love the Chop House but it has become too commercial, too "upscale" and too expensive. The value isn't there any more and the service has dropped off. Carelessness and poor attention to quality has me thinking my laat visit wI'll be ju add that. Sorry Chop House. It was fun while it lasted.
- The waiter blew me offOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/2/2014I asked for a medium rare rib tomahak steak and the steak arrived "blue". i send it back and came back several minuites later which i found surprisingly short. when i tasted the steak it didnt taste very good, the flavour was one of burnt gravy. I asked the waiter if they put it in the microwave since the plate was very hot and he said they dont have any. So i believe they put the whole plate under the broiler and since the steak was cut the juices flowed out and they got caramelized. when you pay for a $100 steak you accept better, when i told the waiter the steak wasn't good, he looked at my guest and ask him if his was good than the waiter blew me off!!! Unreal how someone was treated after a $600 bill!!! Never again!!!Special Features:
- ExcellentCenterseatDined on 11/2/2014Second best steak I have had so far in my life. Side dishes were outstanding. Wine list, could not be better. Service was good and the waiter was fun to talk to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014Great dinner all around. Hot downstairs and needed full party to get seated, but great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steak and service!cdnculinarycritiqueDined on 11/2/2014The pros: - our Server, Robert, was fantastic! He was knowledgeable, attentive, and very personable with us and the other tables he had. - truly the best steak I've ever had (petite dryaged filet) with delicious sauteed mushrooms - the "peartini" was refreshing and just the right amount of sweet (my bf didn't agree on that so I happily drank his) - the pianist was a nice touch Con's: - it is a pricier place. For two of us, including two drinks each and tip we were in about $270. - it's not a big place so reservations are a must and you may be close to other guests Overall: would definitely return and would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014Table for 6 of us but got stuck in second floor room....it was "ok" but not the ambiance we were looking for. In hindsight I would have waited out a table on the main floor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service was phenomenal, food was okOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014The service and wine were amazing, but the food was average compared to other steak houses. We expected a "wow" factor with the steaks but it just wasn't there. Nice place with a wonderful waitstaff.Special Features:
- Still a classicEaterXDined on 10/28/2014Still a classic after all these years. Very pricey, but excellent steak. Was a bit disappointed that the wait staff did not warn us that the three of us were ordering way too many of the family style sides. And at $30 for a side dish - that's a lot. But other than that - still awesome!Special Features:
- First experienceGreatsteakDined on 10/26/2014This was my first dining experience at Chicago Chop House and I have to say that from the service to the food it was superb. Our server was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst steak ever!SleibovitzDined on 10/25/2014Are you kidding. $79 for dry aged rib eye piece of fat. From my first bite of fat and no actual rib eye on a tomahawk bone I was embarrassed that I actually set up the reservation.Special Features:
- Great steak house!luvtheChDined on 10/25/2014The whole staff made out occasion very special from Rob our server to Army the manager (and everyone behind the scenes) worked hard to make it a really memorable evening! Thank you all very much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best - Simply PutspelDined on 10/20/2014We frequent St. Elmo's in Indianapolis, which is a great and historic steak house, with awesome food, in location since 1902. 1 to 5 scale, St. Elmo's is a 3, Chop House a 5+. Sincerely the best. Our server was very patient with our tourist/ first time visit. He answered our many many many questions, as we decided on our dinner selections, and if we were obligated to tip the piano player.....!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visiting from another city...OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/19/2014I visited from an east coast city with great restaurants, and this is hands-down one of the top two steak houses. Great wine, amazing steak. If you are in Chicago, go.Special Features:
- OutstandingBunnyluvDined on 10/19/2014I am from Texas and this seriously was the best steak I have ever had!!!! Can't wait to return!!!!Special Features:
- Awesome!DaveDined on 10/19/2014The food and service were top notch. Pricey, but well worth it.Special Features:
- A classic!LetmerideDined on 10/15/2014Amazing food and ultra professional service. Loved the piano playing as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great.JPMBDined on 10/12/2014Great meat, great salads, great side dishes, great desserts and overall great service, great martinis too. Classic ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the way I rememberedpedro0223VIPDined on 10/11/2014The last time I visited Chophouse was as part of a large group out celebrating. The meal and experience was fantastic. Having not been back since then (almost 6 years), I thought why not check it out again for a going away party meal. I wish I had gone to Mastros....In the highly competitive steakhouse market in Chicago, I'm not sure what Chophouse thinks they offer over some of the newer guys. History can only get you so far. Service was unremarkable and filled with up-sells, the steaks were all improperly cooked, we had a whole glass of wine spilled (from a bottle we purchased) and had to argue to get the glass replaced...
- Overpriced average foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/11/2014There are too many great steak houses in Chicago for the Chicago Chop House to get away with these prices for so-so food. I can't give more than 1 star for food that is that expensive but so average. I don't mind a nice expensive great meal but our steaks were nothing special and overcooked!! We hadn't been in a few years and agreed that we won't be back. I could recommend any number of better quality, better priced options if asked for a steak house recommendation. Disappointed!
- Not great but not badOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014The chophouse came highly recommended from a Chicago native but I was underwhelmed. The hostess had a scowl on her face the entire night which really bugged me. The table service was excellent. The food was good but way too overpriced for my taste. I've had steaks as good at other places for $30 to $40 less than the chophouse. Interesting place but I won't be going back.Special Features:
- Chicago classicDisappointedVIPDined on 10/10/2014It was fun to try this Chicago-classic restaurant. I don't mind spending on a good steak but I'm not sure the value is what I'd expect. The service however was outstanding. The waiters knew everything and picked up on queues from the table straight-away. Really enjoyed them. And a great wine list.
- Business Dinnermn55pghDined on 10/10/2014Excellent- business dinner for a group from Baltimore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Chicago steak houseJimmySlobVIPDined on 10/10/2014Chop House was one of the finest dining experiences we have ever had! Steaks were fantastic, drinks generous, ambiance perfect, service superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What makes this Steak House Unique?dinnerisfunVIPDined on 10/9/2014Lack of Service The building from outside and in beckons of days gone by. It may have been the best steak house in the city at one time but not today. This is the place to go if you are looking for Old Chicago atmospher, pictures of Chicagoland celebrities from the 20s on the wall and feel of a really good steak house. The steaks were good offering patrons a choice of wet aged, dry aged or Mishima. We all had Dry Aged since that was what we were familiar with and the steaks were good. Sadly, the service extremely poor for a restaurant at this price point. We literally had to ask for everything, menu, bread, water and 2 waiters if we could order. We had to ask the manager for a waiter after being seated for 45 minutes.
- Disappointing to say the leastSkibumVIPDined on 10/7/2014We felt crowded with a table of 7 beside us and a table of two behind us. Wait staff had to squeeze between them and us. The food was just good, not excellent as it was on a previous visit. They used to have Kobe beef but have replaced it with another supposedly quality type. I liked the Kobe better.
- Chop HouseJackieBVIPDined on 10/7/2014The steak is a amazing. Once you go to the Chop House, I'm not sure why anyone would go to Gibsons. Gibsons is so over rated. Great Service and food. Especially enjoyed the piano player. My only disappointment although the wine list is notable, --- The lack of selection of moderate prices wine to choose from was very challenging. Spending $300 or so for 2 for dinner in this ecomomy is just too much....and maybe thats why there so many empty tablesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steaks in Chicago !JohnBDined on 10/5/2014Highly recommend this Chicago icon for fine dining. The service and food was outstanding! We had a Kansas City and a Tomahawk Ribeye and both were exceptional cuts of beef with tremendous flavor. Have dined at other top rated steakhouses in Chicago, but we both agreed that the others were a distant second to the Chop House. Thank you for a great experience !Special Features: