8312 Oak Street
New Orleans, LA 70118Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chiba-nola.com/
- Phone: 5048269119
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday & Tuesday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Wednesday & Thursday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary Asian, Japanese
- Executive Chef: James Cooke
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We can accommodate any group on or offsite. Chiba can bring the entire experience to you, with sushi chefs, servers, fresh fish and more. Please contact us for details.
- Special Events: Call for details
A word from Chiba
Contemporary Japanese cuisine with a New Orleans twist. Served in a stylish and warm setting, with considerate and courteous service to match. We offer a full sushi menu, as well as hot appetizers and entree. Fresh sushi, with fun specialty rolls. We also have full service liquor bar, with 28 cold sakes, a full wine list, imported, domestic and craft beer, and creative specialty cocktails. Come visit us uptown! We are located next door to the world famous Maple Leaf Bar and Jacques-Imos. Get out of the quarter and spend a night on Oak Street...it"s the place to be.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chiba reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (12)neighborhood gem (12)good for groups (11)late-night find (8)hot spot (8)romantic (7)vibrant bar scene (5)great for lunch (4)notable wine list (3)special occasion (3)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- AmazingsteakguyVIPDined on 10/9/2014Went to the bar on a Thursday late night as a single diner. Wow. The Hawaiian sashimi special was by far the best I have ever experienced. Great 1/2 priced sake special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveCmw1112Dined on 9/12/2014This is the only place I eat sushi at! Love Chiba's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for occasionsnim61Dined on 9/6/2014Great place to have a special occasion, complimented with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Great staff, they were very friendly and knowledgable about the menu. They recommended some great items and was happy with some of the chooses. However there were some items that didn't work due to the overwhelming fishy taste (didn't taste the freshest it could of been). Prices weren't bad compared to some of the beautiful rolls that they had. Would recommend the Mardi Gras Roll, would not the Strawberry Roll.Special Features:
- Sushi-lovers' paradiselivehead16Dined on 8/22/2014The service at Chiba was very good, even if the kitchen was a bit slow. The ambience is fine, but the noise level is high, as is typical of many newer NOLA restaurants. But the absolute star of the show was the food. So many varieties of sushi and sake that you'll need ten visits just to try everything that interests you. Everything was perfectly prepared, and some of the sushi was as exotic as anything I ate in Japan - rolls with caviar, Hawaiian fish, uni, strawberries, and on and on. The sake list is extensive and also features a number of unusual, high-end options. If you're a true lover of Japanese cuisine, this is a must-visit spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/13/2014Sushi tastes fresh til the very last bite! And the blueberry bread pudding is DELICIOUS!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sushi in NOLA!DrMarinoDined on 7/25/2014Tucked away on a quiet, quaint street, you could easily drive by Chiba. But if you like a variety of raw sushi (I'm from NY and I prefer all raw rolls, etc.) then you will be pleasantly surprised with Chiba. I had all "special" rolls, of which, the fish was freshly delivered that day. It was delicious and I will be back - again & again.Special Features:
- WallyDined on 7/19/2014The restaurant handled 14 of us without a hitch. Waitress was terrific and all enjoyed the food, including those that don't eat sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rare GEM!!!!DaveVIPDined on 7/15/2014The ambiance is excellent in that it is spacious , chic, and inviting.. The food here is outstanding.. We tried lobster ceviche which was light, delicious and well portioned. The rolls were all large and the cuts of sashimi not only fresh but the largest portion I have seen in the city. They also served lobster sashimi which is a delicacy not found many places. Be advised this is a whole Maine lobster served sashimi style so ask the waitress about presentation because the lobster will still be alive when served ( not for everyone) but hands down the finest way to eat this cuisine..All in all outstanding and tops the chart as one of the finest sushi establishments in the city!Special Features:
- Great Experiencemgp1981VIPDined on 7/14/2014I loved this place. The happy hour menu was phenomenal and made dinner and drinks affordable. I loved it. Also, the discount wine was very tasty. Lastly, the regular menu items were outstanding as well. Even though our meal was not much, our server was outstanding. I would highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/4/2014Was not expecting to have such a great meal. Quite a few interesting things off the menu so be sure to ask about those. Extensive sake list that was helped by the staff, enough that this non-sake drinker ordered a bottle for the table. Great variety if fresh fish just opens up the options in dining. There is so much on the menu it will require a second tripSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 94 reviews are from the Chiba reviews archive.
- Great Place!SassasaurDined on 6/4/2014Had a girl's night out with my best friend & had a terrific time. Great cocktail list & happy hour entree's were perfect for grazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chiba-ca was into sushi!LAwestDined on 5/21/2014This is some of the freshest fish you'll ever get outside of the Venice Marina. Even if you're a sushi neophyte there's plenty of other delicious stuff on this menu to satisfy. Right next door to great NOLA art and music at the Mapleleaf on Oak St.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food, loud thoughUptownJohnVIPDined on 5/16/2014the acoustics are awful. Food is good - not great but definitely not bad.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just rightStarDined on 5/15/2014Although the food is nothing to bring home about, the overall experience was fantastic. About 1 of every 2 rolls we ordered were really good while the typical rolls were really just average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Work dinnerFleurtyEmilyDined on 4/30/2014Met after work for a meeting. Loved the all night happy hour special as well as the prices. It was crazy busy so food took 30 minutes for a first course, but it was tasty. We enjoyed EVERYTHING except the Yam Tempura Roll. Boring and bland.Special Features:
- Great SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/18/2014One of the few Sushi restaurants I would recommend in New Orleans.
- Great food, bad chairsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/15/2014We love Chiba. It's one of the many great walkable places in our neighborhood. The food is so fresh and the service is great. But the chairs are incredibly uncomfortable. They look great so I understand why they purchased them. They fit the great ambiance of the place, but terribly uncomfortable to sit in. It won't stop us from going though!Special Features:
- I wish I loved this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/14/2014There are some really great items on the menu but they pack people in so close together, it's hard to enjoy your meal or your company.Special Features:
- Pick A Different RestaurantUptownchowhoubdDined on 2/21/20147:45 reservation, and we were done with drinks & apps by around 8:05. Sushi didn't come out until 9:20. Sat there for 1 hour and 15 minutes waiting on food, with not a great deal of contrition on the part of the wait staff. When food finally came, one roll was missing. Unacceptable in a city where you can choose to go to Ninja, Mikimoto or Rock-N-Sake instead. This place needs to staff more sushi chefs to handle the tables they seat. Also, one of the loudest restaurants in the city. Had to shout to talk to people at our table.
- Nice new spotPepperwheelDined on 2/14/2014Food was absolutely excellent. I read that the service was a little shaky in the beginning, but it seems they have it under control as the experience was great. Will definitively go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightChrisDined on 2/6/2014Went on what was probably the best date I have ever been on at Chiba. Had an awesome time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently MARVELOUSJoshReyherVIPDined on 1/27/2014When I tell my daughters we are going out to dinner they say, Chiba? Started sampling other parts of the sushi menu, the Tataki, tartar and cerviche. All are amazing! I still say great for children but no later than 6:30 / 7 ish. The servers know us and have been extremely helpful with everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- California ApprovedCaliforniansVIPDined on 1/25/2014We just moved here from San Francisco. Not sure at all what sushi would be like so we gave Chiba a shot. To our surprise it was very very good! Now they forgot the appetizer until entrees arrived, but they comped them so it's okay. Drinks were good. No major complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingSushiLoverDined on 1/23/2014Food, service, and atmosphere were outstanding!!! Truly a quility sushi place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/18/2014Our waitress was absent-minded and inattentive. We joked that she was actually working as a waitress at the same time at another restaurant--far away--as it took her so long to do anything. To top things off, there was a problem in splitting up the bill, and it took about an hour just for us to pay.
- speciality sushi was a bit priceyahmedDined on 1/6/2014short rib tempura amazing! specialty sushi was 16$ for a roll of 8.. which was a bit pricey banana foster again really good. the owner was serving us... GREAT SERVICE!I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 plus hours for dinner with reservflynavyDined on 12/25/2013We made a reservation and still waited 50 minutes for our seats. We them waited another 45 minutes for appetizers. Dinner for 6 people took over 3 hours. The food was good but not great. The 6 people were served in 3 groups of two over a 30 minute period. So the first two people were done eating by the time the last two received their meals. Definitely not worth the wait.
- Wouldn't recommendShaneBethDined on 12/25/2013We waited an hour and fifteen minutes for our food. Had we known the service would be so poor, we would've stayed at our hotel and had ramen noodles for dinner. Sushi was okay, not bad but certainly not worth the insane wait. They were severely understaffed; I have never been in a restaurant where all 30+ tables were filled and not a single one had any food.
- meh.anonymousDined on 12/25/2013Can't put my finger on it, but if I had to say, Chiba wasn't spectacular. Sushi was average, at above average prices. The drinks were on special, but nothing special about them. Service was friendly, but it took forever to get our food. I feel like a menu revitalization is in order. You're essentially paying for atmosphere. The ambiance is top-notch, but doesn't justify the prices. I would eat there again, but wouldn't recommend it above anywhere else.
- Delicious SpecialsDanielaKVIPDined on 12/11/2013Their Wednesday 4-midnight happy hour is great! Very good specials. Cocktails are all delicious. And their special appetizer of the day, sashimi with truffle oil. was phenomenal!Special Features:
- A very good Japanese restaurantAlexanderVIPDined on 11/26/2013The food was good though the portions are quite small. We liked everything and the server was extremely friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chbalauraDined on 10/11/2013Great experience! I had sushi and my husband had steak. Perfect!Special Features:
- Pricey but worth itTraciSDined on 10/2/2013This sushi will cost you but is the best sushi in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not amazing, but not badc0rndogsDined on 9/27/2013Had a pretty big group of us go and check this place out late on a Friday night. I think between us, we probably sampled a decent chunk of the menu. There were a couple of rolls that people ordered that seemed to be pretty popular across the whole table but I forget which they were. The steamed buns were pretty tasty in all flavors. The rest of the sushi was decent. Nothing really blew me away but it was all edible. There were a few random things that we ordered that only a couple people would try that weren't that great, but were more because of individual tastes than through any fault of the restaurant. The price is about what you would expect for sushi anywhere else, except the special rolls seemed a bit expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, but unbearably loud...FrequentDinerDined on 9/24/2013Sashimi entree outstanding. Delicious ceviches. Could not hear ourselves speak. A couple of service hiccups, which were remedied immediately.Special Features:
- Great place!Tmule777VIPDined on 9/20/2013Best fried rice in the city! The sushi is excellent. Every steamed bun is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Goto SushiJoshReyherVIPDined on 9/19/2013We think it is the best quality fish in the city. Based on our service I think we are considered regulars. When we sit down our wine comes before we can even say please. I bring my family here almost weekly. My girls are young 5,4,and 3 so we arrive early don't stay past 6. When my wife and I came here for date night we had our regular waitress. Upon seeing us she said "Do you want you usual rush or are we taking it slow?" If you want to combine your own sushi flavors they always accommodate. Chiba has a great happy hour menu with special happy hours on Monday (local flavors) , Tuesday (fish tacos and cerviche) and Wednesday all night happy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi in New OrleansOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/13/2013Chiba is different from the other sushi joints in New Orleans. The sushi is flavorful without using gobs of spicy mayo. Chiba has great happy hour specials, including late night app hours and all night happy hour on Wednesdays! This place never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!JoshReyherVIPDined on 9/12/2013See all my other reviews. We go at least every other week and more if we could,