1600 S. 11th St.
Philadelphia, PA 19148Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chiarellasristorante.com/
- Phone: (215) 334-6404
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, View
- Special Events: Baby Showers,Rehearsel Dinners,Birthday Parties, and any type of catering you may need, we will be happy to assit with! Choose Chiarella's to make your special event a day you will not forget!
A word from Chiarella's Ristorante
With over 35 years in the restaurant business, Dina Chiarella DeFino and Thomas DeFino have brought the taste of the "original" Chiarella's to South Philadelphia. Come enjoy dishes from the original menu started in Wildwood,NJ by Jimmy Chiarella in 1970,along with our new menu prepared with a new age flair. Bring your favorite bottle of wine, sit in front of the fountain, and enjoy your dinner! Thomas Defino boasts about 30 years of restaurant experience covering every facet of the industry. He assisted in making the Chiarellas dining experience an unparraled one in the Jersey Shore area. He also brings a knowledge of Philadelphians and what they love to Chiarellas. His winning smile and pleasant demeanor should be reason enough to enjoy a trip to Chiarellas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Chiarella's Ristorante - Best Restaurants in South Philly ›
Chiarella's Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (24)good for groups (15)fit for foodies (11)special occasion (10)romantic (5)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- goodrunningvistorDined on 11/22/2014Food was good, basic but good. Service was great and atmosphere fun. VERY LOUD..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful service, decent food...ErinDined on 11/15/2014We had a very large party split into 2 reservations (10 and 4). We waited over an HOUR for our reservation, but the owners apologized multiple times, so we were OK with it. Once we finally sat down, our service was HORRIBLE. The large group had their server falling all over them, apologizing for the long wait, and had prompt food delivery. However, sitting with the smaller group (which was on a separate bill), we were completely ignored. Our waiter told us the specials, and did not come back. The large group had their appetizers delivered before our order was even taken. We had to flag down a different waiter to come take our order. The food was delicious, but we were already so annoyed about the service that I wasn't able to fully enjoy it. Our original waiter FINALLY came back after our plates had been cleared and he actually had the nerve to ask "You guys ate dinner, right?" I told him we needed a minute before we heard dessert options because someone had stepped away from the table....big mistake. He again disappeared. The large group had eaten dessert and paid their bill before he came back to our table. When we asked him what the choices were, he rudely said "ONCE AGAIN, we have...." I will not be visiting again. While I was very understanding about the lengthy wait, I will never understand a server who is rude and ignores you. Being able to serve a party of 10 before you can even take an order from a party of 4 is poor form. Despite the really tasty food, eating at a restaurant is about the whole experience, and I will not recommend Chiarella's to anyone because of my horrible experience.
- simply amazingEirzDined on 11/15/2014Food and service was awesome. My husband and I had a blast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantDEdinersDined on 11/8/2014We had a great meal with a small family group. Staff was friendly and helpful. Despite the fact that it was busy, the service was fairly prompt. The food was delicious and portions were generous. We would eat there again.Special Features:
- Overlooked italian spot is great!LeopardprintDined on 11/7/2014Sitting right on the square with the fountain, Chiarella's looks fantastic from the outside. I easily got a reservation on a Friday night. I've walked by here so many times and finally I'm trying it. Try: the buffalo mozzarella. The bread is fantastic with a garlicky olive oil. I had a dish of rigatoni, beef and sausage. It was delicious! We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional, a rare find.Wade101Dined on 10/27/2014The food and service was excellent. Tom and Lynn made you feel as welcome as if you were their only customer. There have been few places that I have filed aways as my personal favorite, but this is one of those. Whenever I am in town, I will make a reservation here.Special Features:
- Great food, but bad serviceFoodieVIPDined on 10/25/2014This was my second time dining here and we thoroughly enjoyed the food. The chicken parm was very tasty and breaded well and the appetizer special was delicious- breaded portabello, eggplant and tomato trio with a red sauce. However, the service was slow. It took about 10 minutes for a waiter and that was after the owner yelled at the waitstaff. We had to ask for bread, and ask for the polenta that came with the pork.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014The food was delicious and BYOB is a plus. We were warmly greeted when we arrived. The food was served very quickly, even though the restaurant was crowded. The lemon basil shrimp linguine was to die for.Special Features:
- A Great Find in South Philly!1yankeefanVIPDined on 10/25/2014Amazing food and service, (Lynn and Mark are the best-Lynn treated us like family.) a gem in South Philly. Food was overall outstanding, calamari portion was on the small side. The broccoli rabe was the best I have ever had-hands down. Will frequent this restaurant again, a great experience with that South Philly neighborhood feel. So glad we discovered this on open table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a good findrweiDined on 10/25/2014would never have known aboutif not for rest.com now we know and will be back and spread the wordSpecial Features:
- OutstandingHiyielderVIPDined on 10/19/2014Food and service were at the highest levels;. Owner was present and it was reassuring to have him check on things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chiarella's IS South PhillyDMickCVIPDined on 10/8/2014Went there on a slower night midweek with my family of 6. We were visiting from New York to visit our daughter who relocated to South Philly. Wanted a classic South Philly Italian BYOB restauarant and Chiarell's lived up to all the positive OT reviews. From the first steps inside until we left we felt like we were eating dinner with our Italian cousins we didn't even know we had! You can tell the owners Tom and Dina are passionate about food and about service. Mark the server was great. The fact that we could bring our own wine was awesome and added to the experience. We had six different entrees and everyone loved them all. The lasagna was massive, the night's specials were equally good. Six thumbs up from us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A genuine South Philly experienceFoodWallahDined on 10/6/2014I ate there by myself on a slow (Monday) night after flying in from California. I took the recommendation of the manager, John, and really enjoyed the veal scallopini with shrimp and mushrooms in a light tomato sauce. The cheesecake was also excellent. I grew up in the neighborhood and enjoy the "authenticity" of these little neighborhood restaurants when I return to visit. John and I had a nice chat.Special Features:
- love this placeJoeKDined on 10/4/2014This was my first visit and I will surely be back. Food was exceptional with large portions and service was phenomenal.Special Features:
- Great ItalianmoishVIPDined on 9/27/2014Surprised at how good it was, we were 6 persons and all really enjoyed it, the food and service were wonderful, a little bit too noisy, they need some noise dampening wall and ceiling covers, cant wait to return.
- Our first visit, not our lastDelcoDinerVIPDined on 9/6/2014We tried Chiarella's and were pleasantly surprised. The food was superb and the service attentive. My wife and her mother both said that the eggplant was the best they had ever eaten. Some minor glitches, the menu isn't clear, so I didn't know that my flounder, which was excellent, did not come with pasta or vegetables. And the pasta that did accompany some dishes, only came out when we reminded our waiter. But the food was superb, and we look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Authentic Italian1psuVIPDined on 9/6/2014A place that serves "homemade" Italian food. the spaghetti was very good (al dente) and the gravy was almost as good as my mother's. here you'll get REAL Italian food.Special Features:
- Had a good experience.grumpydumplingDined on 9/5/2014I came here with a group of 8. The service and food was ok. The food wasn't anything to die for. My dish the rigatoni bolognes was good. As for the service, I guess they were busy, it could of been better. We sat down for awhile and wasn't greeted till much later after I asked one of the ladies if she was our server. At the end, we had some confusion with the bill, because it was written out by hand and our server forgot to add the tax. But overall, it was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliverssouthphillygirlVIPDined on 9/5/2014Love the food and the service. A Friday night regular. Great Italian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thoroughly enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014Friendly waitress, friendly owner, excellent food especially the Veal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sphillysamVIPDined on 8/18/2014Excellent Food and Service One of the best veal dishes I ever had. My wife thought her chicken picatta was outstandingSpecial Features:
- Not going backMbssDined on 8/4/2014Slow service, maybe a bad day, waiter not the best to put it mildly, was a painful meal (although the food was really good). Speed up the service, improve the waiters, and you might have a very nice thing
- The following 103 reviews are from the Chiarella's Ristorante reviews archive.
- Excellent/authenticLIVE2EATDined on 7/31/2014The food was amazing and unique. The service was excellent and the owner is there helping with service. Great atmosphere, very friendly. It's a diamond in the rough. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood eatery.SeashoreDiamondsVIPDined on 7/20/2014Food, was terrific. Service was very good. Street parking can be a problem in this area which has a vibrant restaurant scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great timespatrnDined on 7/19/2014We took my husband there for his birthday after reading other reviews about it. It was everything and more! Excellent food, affordable prices and a warm cozy atmosphere. Tommy and mark made us feel right at home! Everyone's d inner was delicious.,from the soups and salads to the entrees. I would definitely recommend chiarellas to any one looking for the real deal ltalian. Thanks to all for a wonderful evening!! We will be frequent fliers for sure👏👏👏Special Features:
- Chiarella'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Eating at Chiarella's was a very pleasant experience. The food was very good and the service was also good. The setting is nice and the overall experience was a memorable one.Special Features:
- Delish!jan48Dined on 7/9/2014We had a delicious meal there a few nights ago. The calamari came out hot, was very crispy and tasty. I had the linguine with sauteed shrimp. The lemoncreme sauce on this dish was out of this world! Two others had one of the specials, flounder and shrimp francaise that they both enjoyed very much. My nephew had the rigatoni bolognese - he cleaned the plate and it was a large portion! Finished up with tiramisu. A great meal; can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Treated like part of the familyDannyBDined on 6/26/2014We loved this Chairella's. The food was excellent.. service was great as well. Tom makes you feel at home... like your a regular the first time there. Everyone enjoyed their meals. We have already started recommending Chiarella's to our friends and family. We look forward to going back. Very reasonable pricing.Special Features:
- RelaxingMahopac1Dined on 6/20/2014Fine ambience good tasty food and excellent concerned serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PatriceDined on 6/15/2014I love Chiarella's! When I was little, I used to visit all of my relatives in South Philadelphia. The nicest time to visit was Christmas Eve. This restaurant is the total nostalgic experience. The main windows overlook the neighborhood and at Christmastime, it is spectacular! It isn't "fancy" but it is truly an authentic South Philly experience. The food is delicious. The service is unmatched. Tomasino is such a sweetheart. He even allowed my family to be seated before they were officially opened during our first visit. It is a truly down home experience. I took my Dad there for Father's Day and he said he would never forget it! (Guiseppi...85 years old...of course he loved it...he grew up around the block from there!)Special Features:
- Very, very impressedRobLinDined on 6/14/2014Found this restaurant online and made a last minute reservation through Open Table. The food was excellent - authentic Italian with quite a few specials to chose from. We were way too full for dessert, but the soup, salad and entree's were outstanding. A very nice, friendly staff that was attentive and treated us like family. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/14/2014Great experience and Ryne Sandberg was there the same night my family was there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little ItalyCATaylorDined on 6/12/2014True Italian Food. Once you have eaten here, it will be hard to eat Italian food anywhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SueSamalinDined on 6/7/2014I just returned from Italy so I was in the comparing mood. I had the special, "Orecchiette". Excellent!! I also ordered a desert, took a picture of it and it was in the same form and just about the same taste as the desert I ordered in Italy. So Yummy. Service was great even though they were busy and running around doing everything, their attitude and service remained great. Couldn't ask for a better Italian Restaurant. Even the music was just the right volume. Heard it but not over powered so we could hear each other.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinnerdorphilVIPDined on 5/26/2014we often go to Chiarella for straight forward Italian food. They use good quality ingredients. Consistent quality. The servers are friendly and accommodating to the clients. Try the veal dishes they are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little glitch didn't ruin a thingJeepGirlDined on 5/19/2014We chose Chiarella's for a special dinner before a concert in the city. I of course scoped out all the coupon sites and found them on restaurant.com, purchased a deal and off we went. When we sat down, we were informed they no longer accepted restaurant.com deals(not the first time I've encountered this, and I do not blame the restaurant!) We weren't going to let that ruin our evening so we ordered and kept going! The food was fresh and delicious, the staff was friendly....just like family. Their "gravy" is perfecto! Great little spot in the city, we will definitely be going back again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- try itbobalfiDined on 5/19/2014was in town for a concert,looking for an italian reataurant in south philly. found this online, had reservations for 430,as they opened. seemed a little caught off guard by us coming in, but it went well afterwards. wife had a portabello mushroom appetizer in a sauce that was delicious. meals were good, quickly served. they didn't have a liquor license, so wine was on the house from Tom,i assume the owner. and they had Sinatra music playing, a perfect touch. nice crowd for that hour on a monday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great beginningsMarkDined on 5/17/2014The dinner menu had many great offerings and none of them disappointed us. The food was great, the service was friendly and the staff did not rush our group. The price was a very good value for the quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made mom happysuburbandinerDined on 5/11/2014We went for Mother's Day 2014. Even though they were very busy we were seated after only a 5 minute wait. We were early for our reservations. The staff promptly came up to our table. The menu is a nice size. Everybody in your group should find something to eat. The specials for the day were extensive. We ordered the Veal Gia ( veal & shrimp ), pesto pasta, stuffed pork loin. All came to the table hot. The veal dish had a side of pasta. The pork came with mashed potatoes. The sauce from the veal Gia would make it great to be served directly over the pasta instead of a side. The pork was stuffed with rabe and cheese (very smooth and complimented the pork very well). Even though they were very busy we were not rushed.Special Features:
- The BestonlythebestDined on 5/3/2014This was truly one of the best meals I've eaten in a long time in Philly.Vetri,Modo Mio and the saloon don't compare.This was excellent food ,great portions and outstanding service.The veal dishes were amazing as well as the pasta dishes and salmon and pasta.We went for my daughters birthday and it was truly a night to remember.Special Features: