1600 S. 11th St.
Philadelphia, PA 19148Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chiarellasristorante.com/
- Phone: (215) 334-6404
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, View
- Special Events: Baby Showers,Rehearsel Dinners,Birthday Parties, and any type of catering you may need, we will be happy to assit with! Choose Chiarella's to make your special event a day you will not forget!
A word from Chiarella's Ristorante
With over 35 years in the restaurant business, Dina Chiarella DeFino and Thomas DeFino have brought the taste of the "original" Chiarella's to South Philadelphia. Come enjoy dishes from the original menu started in Wildwood,NJ by Jimmy Chiarella in 1970,along with our new menu prepared with a new age flair. Bring your favorite bottle of wine, sit in front of the fountain, and enjoy your dinner! Thomas Defino boasts about 30 years of restaurant experience covering every facet of the industry. He assisted in making the Chiarellas dining experience an unparraled one in the Jersey Shore area. He also brings a knowledge of Philadelphians and what they love to Chiarellas. His winning smile and pleasant demeanor should be reason enough to enjoy a trip to Chiarellas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Chiarella's Ristorante - Best Restaurants in South Philly ›
Chiarella's Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (24)good for groups (16)special occasion (11)fit for foodies (11)romantic (6)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Another great meal!HockeymomDined on 9/21/2013Drove from the 'burbs to So. Philly for a pre-concert dinner and was once again WOW'd by the food and service. I brought three friends with me who don't get into "the city" very much and they were floored by how good/fresh the food was and how the owner and servers made us feel like we were eating at my Italian grandmother's house. Definitely will go again (and again) - love introducing new people to the Chiarella's family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our server,Marc ,was excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/7/2013Our server,Marc ,was excellent. The food was served promptly and professionally. The BYOB option is a great plus and our wine was handled nicely. The food was tasty and not overpriced. We would return to Chiarella's. The only detractor was the initial inability of our group of 6 to pay by credit cards as 'the restaurant could not establish a connection to use our cards" The restaurant remedied this quickly as we indicated that we did not have sufficient cash and our cards were then made to work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining experienceStrazDined on 8/26/2013Food and service was great, but noise level was terrible. We went on a Monday. I didn't matter where you sit, room is small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chiarella's RistoranteKristenDined on 8/24/2013All of the food that we ordered was great! The service was good, and the waiter was very down-to-earth-- the feel was just more friendly than professional. Great for a relaxed, non-pretentious night out. You really feel like you're in "the neighborhood"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- been wanting to try this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/5/2013been wanting to try this restaurant for awhile, finally had the opportunity and really enjoyed it. The food was good, the service was good and everyone was friendly....had some good laughs! I highly recommend and I will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Very enjoyabe dinner. SoupfussyeaterDined on 8/2/2013Very enjoyabe dinner. Soup and appetizers were outstanding. Mains were good, too. Had the veal Gia, tasty and imaginative. Friendly and relaxing, especially in front while viewing street scene. Definitely would return, even though off our beaten track.Special Features:
- Great little byobjmc1026Dined on 7/20/2013had a living social deal for this restaurant never expected to be so good cute little place small wait staff but never had to wait for a thing food was outstanding will definitely go back prices are very reasonable for the delicious food !!!!! This is a must TRY it you will not be disappointing.Special Features:
- Enjoyable classicsPhilguestVIPDined on 7/13/2013We really enjoyed our meal here. The menu is entirely classic Italian dishes -- you don't want to come here for inventive cuisine. But each dish we had was executed VERY well and we left utterly satisfied. Service is casual but friendly and professional. For what you get, the prices seem very reasonable (being a BYOB helps). Our one quibble is that the room was very loud the night we went -- in part because of two very large groups seated at opposite ends of the room. Overall, we enjoyed it a lot and will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Salute' to ChiarellaWaggsDined on 6/17/2013We visited Chiarella's on a Monday evening because we were old friends getting together and knew we would "sit" awhile. Friends had told us the staff never rushes you. "Tom" and staff were great. They sat us, help us choose dishes and gave us a warm welcome and told us to stay as long as we liked. The food was really delicious! Dessert was excellent!! We will definitely revisit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placePizzaioloDined on 5/12/2013Very very noisy. Pushy waiter attempted to thrust daily specials onto us but was not attentive otherwise. Very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible experienceoutandaboutVIPDined on 5/11/2013Horrible service and food was average. I lived in the neighborhood and thought this will be a good place to go, will never go there again.
- Will return...SnowVIPDined on 4/26/2013Second visit. Very pleased with chiarellas. Great food, good service.Special Features:
- Great dinnerCecilleVIPDined on 4/13/20136 of us had a wonderful dinner at Chiarella's Saturday night. The Sole and pasta specials were delicious, the service friendly and efficient. We were not rushed and I loved my cappacino. We will definitely return and the location is such a fun and vibrant part of Philly.Special Features:
- A wonderful experience. GreatErnestVIPDined on 4/6/2013A wonderful experience. Great food and it's not your old time red gravy restaurant. Food cooked to order, nothing was marinated which allowed for certain seasonings to be eliminated.Special Features:
- Real Italian Food at Its Best!!HockeymomDined on 4/4/2013I have been to dozens of restaurants in So. Philly and Chiarella's is the best. The service we received was only topped by the food. I HIGHLY recommend dining here. I know I will be back!!!Special Features:
- Classic Italian cooked toLindaDesVIPDined on 3/30/2013Classic Italian cooked to perfection - from the "fra diavalo" special to the breaded steak to chicken piccata. While we enjoyed all the appetizers we ordered, the eggplant rollatini and seafood-stuffed portabello mushroom were particularly delish.Special Features:
- Enjoyed our dinner and theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2013Enjoyed our dinner and the staff was very friendly and family-oriented.Special Features:
- This was probably the mostOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/2/2013This was probably the most entertaining dining experience I have ever had. It's run by what seems to be a very close knit family that have no problem yelling at each other in the dining room or over tables. There was restaurant week on Passyunk going on which they were a part of. They were out of Veal for some tables but not others.. The food was good but I would like to try it again without the set menu and chaos. BYOB is a huge bonus!Special Features:
- I did not know of this restaurantvcvcVIPDined on 3/1/2013I did not know of this restaurant and just happened to discover it on open table. It is truly a 5 star place with delicious food, extremely attentive service with a friendly vibe. Without a doubt, there will be return trips, and the price is more than reasonable for the excellent food. I have eaten in similar types of restaurants that do not even come close to this quality.Special Features:
- tHE FOOD AND SERVICE WAS WONDERFULOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/27/2013tHE FOOD AND SERVICE WAS WONDERFUL BUT THE NOISE UPSTAIRS WAS AWFUL. wE ENJOYED OUT DINNER AND WILL PROBABLY RETURN BUT WE WILL REQUEST A TABLE DOWNSTAIRS.Special Features:
- We are South Phila born andzoeyDined on 2/17/2013We are South Phila born and this is our current favorite restaurant. Food exceptional (eggplant parm and linguine with clam sauce best in the city) from appetizers thru dessert. Service friendly but unobstrusive. No problem if you want to alter something on the menu.Special Features:
- It was quite loud. Room notDawnVIPDined on 2/16/2013It was quite loud. Room not very pretty, kind of boring. Food was average. Watch the prices of the specials. Owners are very personable.
- First time... great orrechietti.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013First time... great orrechietti. Caesar salad was good but expected homemade dressing. Cappelinni with pesto was good but needed something to cut the pesto-something like tomatoes or another vegetable. Service was good.Special Features:
- After reading other Open TableLivesToEatVIPDined on 2/9/2013After reading other Open Table reviews of this restaurant, we were very disappointed in our meal here. The food was just ok. The service was friendly. Sorry to say we won't go back.
- Our first time in Philly andDt56VIPDined on 2/9/2013Our first time in Philly and went to dine at Chiarella's. We were greated by the owners who made us feel like family as soon as we walked through the door. From our salad to our dessert the food was excellent. We will be back on our next trip to Philly.Special Features:
- The food was good and a goodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/9/2013The food was good and a good value. The service was not good.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful time.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/19/2013We had a wonderful time. The food was great, and the Chiarelli salad is not to be missed. The coffee was the best I have had in a while. Everyone was very impressed with our dinnersSpecial Features:
- The food was outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/5/2013The food was outstanding. Quite frankly it was home cooking in the middle of a South Philadelphia neighborhood. We look forward to our next trip to Philly. By the way my wife had the eggplant parm--best she ever had.Special Features:
- Mrs. Kenyatta LeonardOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/30/2012I found your restaurant after doing a search of the restaurants that chef Ramsey has visited. I had read a lot of reviews about your restaurant but I must say, theirs played no part in what we experienced! We had a great time!! your staff was so friendly as well as other patrons that were there. I took my husband there on 12/30/2012 it was one of the greatest times we've had out.I've never dined in south philly where my husband is a native but again it was great.You have now made me love fried egg plant as well as all of the other food. We were given complimentary wine which was very welcoming. I have recommended your place to all of my friends, we will be back soon I promise!!Special Features:
- Owners are really warm, personable,OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/21/2012Owners are really warm, personable, and genuine. Food was very good.Special Features:
- Good food, nice people, BYOB,DavidFVIPDined on 12/8/2012Good food, nice people, BYOB, need I say more! Special past was Lobster Ravioli, may have been the best I have ever had!Special Features:
- I love this place. The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/15/2012I love this place. The food is great. One of the only places I'll leave center city for. I have chosen it for 4 different groups of friends and family recently who are all relatively picky and had to be convinced to leave our usual stomping grounds... and everyone has loved the food. Chicken Piccata is fantastic!Special Features:
- Best Italian Restaurant in Phila!BennVIPDined on 11/3/2012This was our second visit, first was incredible so the test was to see if they could do it again. Second was better than the first! Simply put, this is the best Italian Restaurant in the city of Philadelphia. Equal in quality, presentation and service to known name restaurant at less than half the price. The service, attentiveness and friendliness of the owners, servers and wait is friendly and professional, specials offered are so mouth watering and described beautifully. Appetizers, Entrees and desert are authentic northern Italian. We visited with another couple and between us we had a mélange of seafood, steak, veal and pasta all agreed it was incredible. Have told my friends and family....This is a real "Gem" GO now!!!!Special Features:
- Great placesouthphillygirlVIPDined on 10/26/2012Always loved this place. Great food and service. Specials also good.Special Features:
- Delicious food served enthusiasticaLuv2eatVIPDined on 10/13/2012Delicious food served enthusiastically. It took a little more time than we expected for the food to come but was worth the wait !Special Features:
- Busy Saturday night with aFoodFan18VIPDined on 10/13/2012Busy Saturday night with a big party. Service was very slow and we learned almost at the end of the meal that a server didn't come to work. Very short-handed and got the order wrong for one in our party. Owner/manager were incredibly apologetic and tried their best to make up for the mistakes, so I would try them again. The prices are very reasonable. Do not sit in the back room near the kitchen. There is constant opening and closing of the swing door and the dishes are dropped into the bin that makes it very noisy.
- Kitchen Recurring NightmareOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/16/2012When our server finally showed up at our table he was sweating profusely and acting really odd, which was our first clue that the dining experience wasn't going to be that great. Luckily there was another server that was more attentive to our table than our actually server, and she apologized to us on several occassion for the slow service. The restaurant was mostly empty, but it still took our entrees close to 45 minutes to get out to us. Which was odd, as both looked like they had been microwaved. The app we had was really good, but my entree was a throwback to old-school dining--unattractive presentation, not great flavor, etc. I doubt we will go back. And we can't recommend this place. Afterall, this is AFTER it had a Ramsay-makeover.
- the guitar player was fabulousrickVIPDined on 8/25/2012the guitar player was fabulous unfortunately the rest of the meal and service was extremely disappointing but they apologized for the service being so slow , my pork chops came out dry & tough
- Absolutely an excellent experience.DisappointingVIPDined on 8/25/2012Absolutely an excellent experience. The waiter (Mark) knew everything about the menu and the preparation of each dish. He and the other helpers were very attentive. The menu was abbreviated and did a great job of covering anyone's expectations. The owner was very friendly and recognized me from an earlier visit. Lastly, Dominic, a local Italian musician and singer was an exceptional addition to the entire experience. This restaurant is a MUST TRY!!!Special Features:
- Really good food. Great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2012Really good food. Great service! Personal and intimate. Would go back again.Special Features: